Chapter 12

Forever You Will Be My World
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Minseok, what exactly are we looking for here?” Chanyeol asked as he stared down at the elder who was on his hands and knees.

“It’s our last day here, I need to find this guy’s journal.”

Chanyeol pouted as he furrowed his brows, “You think it’s still here?”

Jongin smiled as he leaned on Chanyeol’s shoulder. “Taemin told me they found it here the other day.”

Chanyeol grinned and interlaced his fingers in between Jongin’s. Jongin’s eyes went up to meet with Chanyeol’s. He snuggled a little more into him…

“Ok ok!” Minseok exclaimed as he stood to split the both of them up. He grabbed Jongin’s shoulder and pulled him away. His bottom lip was out in a small pout. “Jongin, help me look.”

Chanyeol chuckled and got on his hands on knees where Taemin was still digging. “You know, if we get caught like this we can get in a lot of trouble.”

“Yeah, IF we get caught.” Taemin replied.

Chanyeol scoffed and pressed his hands into the dirt. In all honesty, he wasn’t even sure what he was looking for. He just trusted that Minseok knew what he was talking about. Minseok and Jongin joined them after getting on their hands and knees.

“Minseok, are you sure it’s still here?” Taemin asked as they began to hear the professor calling them all in to eat. Taemin wanted to run to the benches and finish his meal quickly. The professor told them that he had a surprise for them after meal time.

Minseok bit his lip, “It has to be! Where else could it have—“

“What’s this?” Jongin questioned.

Everyone’s eyes turned to look at his puzzled expression. He was looking down at something in his hands. It was full of dirt and very worn. It was in the shape of a rectangle.

Minseok’s eyes widened and he stretched out to grab it from Jongin’s hands. He looked down at the old thing and felt his eyes swell up in tears.

“Minseok, is that—“

“It’s his journal…” Minseok replied as he gently tried prying it open. How did this war start? Who was the reason behind it? This notebook held all of the answers.

***

Kyungsoo looked up at the night sky above him. He had never seen so many stars before. This must have been what the people from Monalet saw every night. How he wished he could see it from their perspective. Their world must have been amazing! And even more amazing was how Minseok was able to find something in the ruins. The professor took it and gave it right away to the rangers. They would give the notebook to archeologists and historians to decipher it.

“Did you have fun?” Baekhyun asked as he sat next to him on the grass. The latter had been following him around ever since the day that they had seen where the princes of the past had gotten married. Kyungsoo didn’t mind, he liked being around Baekhyun.

“I did.” Kyungsoo responded.

“After this, we go home tomorrow.” Baekhyun said.

Kyungsoo nodded, “I’m so grateful I got to come.”

Baekhyun smiled, “Me too.”

From a little bit away, the rest of the friends watched as Baekhyun talked with Kyungsoo. They felt for him. They really did. They knew that this was killing him inside. But there was nothing they could do to force Kyungsoo’s memories back.

“So, why do you think the professor wants us to sit in this part of Monalet?” Kyungsoo questioned.

Baekhyun shrugged, “Who knows. I mean, he even made us bring our sleeping bags.”

Kyungsoo chuckled, “Sleeping out here isn’t too bad.”

Baekhyun nodded as he looked back at him. “Hey Kyungsoo?”

“Hm?”

“The professor said we could walk around right?”

“Yeah?”

“I wanted to see the fountain one last time. Can you come with me?”

Kyungsoo looked over at Baekhyun with a wide grin on his face. Baekhyun felt his heart skip a beat. Even in this life, his prince was still so handsome.

“Sure.” Kyungsoo replied.

Baekhyun stood up in glee and extended his hand for Kyungsoo to take. Kyungsoo eagerly took it to stand alongside him.

“We’re going to the fountain!” Baekhyun shouted happily as he turned to look at his friends.

“The fountain?” Minseok questioned.

Baekhyun nodded, “Yup!”

“We won’t be long.” Kyungsoo added as he placed his belongings next to them. “Watch these for me?”

Baekhyun bent down and placed his stuff down as well, “Watch mine too.”

Jongin took his arm and pulled him close. He leaned in and whispered, “Baekhyun, I know full well why you’re doing this.”

He looked over at Jongin who was giving him a scowl. Jongdae scooted in to whisper, “You’re only going to hurt yourself. Accept that you need to win him over without relying on the past.”

Baekhyun pulled away and sent them a glare. In a hushed whisper he replied, “I know what I’m doing.”

“No you don’t. You’re just—“

“Ready?” Kyungsoo questioned as he walked over to them.

Baekhyun straightened up and smiled, “Ready.”

The friends knew that this was a bad idea. But Baekhyun was set in his ways. He knew what he wanted and there was nothing that could get in his way. Nothing his friends said mattered to him right now.

“Let’s go.” Kyungsoo said as he turned around.

“Baekhyun,” Chanyeol called out sternly. He made one last attempt to get his friend to come back. But Baekhyun ignored him. He instead walked briskly behind Kyungsoo.

He caught up with the latter and walked next to him. They both walked in silence.

“What made you want to see the fountain?”

Baekhyun shrugged, “It’s just really nice.”

Kyungsoo grinned, “I agree.”

Baekhyun blushed and looked away. Kyungsoo was still able to make him feel so flustered. He wanted so badly to hold his hand, but all in good time.

They walked next to one another. Not really talking, just a couple of words here and there. Until they finally arrived to the fountain in the Monalet ruins. It was old and made of a strong clay material. How it managed to remain standing for so long was a mystery. It looked big and ancient, unlike when Baekhyun first saw it.

“I wonder what made them want to build a fountain.” Kyungsoo questioned as he looked it over.

Baekhyun shrugged, “Who knows, but they were brilliant.”

Kyungsoo nodded in response. He sat on the soft grass beneath them. He took Baekhyun’s hand and tugged it.

Baekhyun blinked and looked down at him. He was grinning from ear to ear and gesturing to the spot next to him. Baekhyun smiled and plopped himself onto the grass. His hand remained on top of Kyungsoo’s even after they sat. Their eyes were both looking upwards at the top of the fountain. Baekhyun his lips and let out a soft exhale. Kyungsoo was so beautiful. How would he be able to withstand his urges with him right there?

“Hey Baekhyun?”

“Hm?”

“I don’t know if this is strange to say but, I really trust you.”

Baekhyun looked over at him. Kyungsoo’s eyes were looking down at the grass and they slowly looked up to lock with Baekhyun’s.

“I like to be around you.” He said as he smiled.

Baekhyun sent him a small smile and nodded, “I feel the same way.”

Kyungsoo smiled that heart that Baekhyun fell for years ago. “You know, they say that Monalet royals used to confess their love for their beloved at this fountain.”

“Hm? Where did you read that?” Kyungsoo asked.

Baekhyun shrugged, “I’ve read so much about these kingdoms. It’s hard to keep track of where I read everything.”

Kyungsoo nodded, “I wouldn’t be surprised. The atmosphere around here is peaceful.”

Baekhyun his lips and the breeze began to caress him softly forward. Was this perhaps…a sign? Kyungsoo was so close to him. And this was the place that he had confessed to him. Maybe, Baekhyun could make him remember.

“Kyungsoo?”

“Yeah?”

Baekhyun swallowed and scooted in closer, “I really like you.”

Kyungsoo blinked in surprise, “Huh?”

“Like…a lot.”

Kyungsoo let out a nervous chuckle, “Baekhyun, what are you--?”

Baekhyun leaned in, shut his eyes and pressed their lips together. He had wanted this so bad. He couldn’t wait any longer. Baekhyun lifted up his hands and was about to wrap them around him, when all of a sudden…Kyungsoo shoved him away.

“What are you doing?!” Kyungsoo shouted angrily. He stood up and wiped at his mouth with his sleeve.

Baekhyun was on his back and was using his hands to steady himself. Kyungsoo had…rejected him. His eyes swelled up in tears and he looked down as he bit his lip.

“Baekhyun, I like you and I want to get you know you better but, what are you doing?!”

Baekhyun opened his mouth to speak. But words refused to come out. What had he done?

Kyungsoo sighed and looked away towards where they came from.

His friend were right. Kyungsoo was not going to remember. He had no choice but to accept that. Baekhyun swallowed the lump in his throat and forced the tears away. He cleared his throat and stood up, “You’re right.” He said as he dusted himself off. “I’m sorry. I read the atmosphere wrong.”

Kyungsoo backed away from him. Baekhyun felt another sting at his heart. He was such an idiot!

Please Kyungsoo…you don’t have to remember but please…don’t avoid me.

“I’m really sorry.” Baekhyun said again. “I swear I won’t do it again.”

Kyungsoo let out a soft sigh, “I do like you Baekhyun. But you can’t just…force yourself on me like that.”

“You’re right. I was in the wrong. And I really am so sorry.”

Kyungsoo scoffed as he looked down, “We should get going.”

***

Baekhyun and Kyungsoo walked back towards their friends. They walked in silence next to one another. Kyungsoo had tried lightening up the mood. But Baekhyun felt so stupid. He was so selfish.

“What do you think the professor’s surprise is?”

“Huh?” Baekhyun began. “Oh, probably just like…I don’t know to be honest.”

Kyungsoo chuckled, “I can’t imagine either.”

Baekhyun laughed as he continued walking.

Kyungsoo stopped to look at him, “Baekhyun, you can stop feeling guilty. I already forgave you.”

Baekhyun twisted his mouth to the side. Kyungsoo punched his shoulder playfully. “It’s ok, really. I know you aren’t a bad person. I still trust you.”

Baekhyun sent him a small smile as he nodded. Kyungsoo was still the kindest person he knew.

“Can you smile for me?”

Baekhyun grinned wide, making his eyes go into crescents.

Kyungsoo chuckled, “Alright good.”

“Maybe the surprise is like extra credit or—“ Baekhyun didn’t get to finish his sentence. Because just then, a light in the sky got both of their attention. It started off with light blues in the sky and slowly began to change to different colors all at once.

Kyungsoo stared in awe at the aurora above them.

Baekhyun could do nothing but throw his head down as he buried his face into his hands.

“Wow! I read that Monalet was the best place to see auroras!” Kyungsoo exclaimed excitedly. This was his first time ever seeing one! Then, why did it feel like he had been here before? He tilted his head slowly as an image wanted to appear in his mind…

Baekhyun remembered that under an aurora was where Kyungsoo had confessed his love for him. It was where he proclaimed to the Moon God that Baekhyun was his. Baekhyun couldn’t face him, it was too painful.

“Baekhyun, isn’t this—“ Kyungsoo’s eyes widened as he looked over at Baekhyun. He had his hands over his face and seemed to be…crying?

“Baekhyun?” Kyungsoo questioned as he took Baekhyun’s hands into his.

“No!” Baekhyun shouted as he threw himself back. “Don’t—I’m fine really.”

“Then, why are you crying?” A sudden protectiveness swept over Kyungsoo. A feeling he had never felt before with anyone else.

Baekhyun sniffled and that was when Kyungsoo managed to grab Baekhyun’s hands and put them down. The latter’s eyes were red and he shook his head as he pulled away from Kyungsoo.

Kyungsoo felt a sudden sting at Baekhyun’s rejection and he again went towards him. Seeing Baekhyun crying made Kyungsoo concerned…one could even say upset…upset?

Baekhyun’s crying face was engraved into his mind and then suddenly he remembered something else. A dream he had once. He was holding a black figure in his arms and the figure seemed to be in so much pain. He was never able to see a face to that figure…until now.

The figure from his dreams suddenly began to show itself in Kyungsoo’s head. It was…Baekhyun. The black figure that he loved from his dreams was…Baekhyun?! An image of Baekhyun smiling appeared in his mind. He was wearing clothes from a much different time and he uttered:

 I love you my prince.

That single phrase was all it took for the rest of the memories to return to him. He stayed motionless as images from his past all came at once. He remembered the day he was born and his countless adventures exploring the castle. He was from Monalet…he was its last prince.

He threw himself back as he blinked and held his head. Everything was happening so fast…memories were throwing themselves at a rapid pace. How could he keep up? Baekhyun was---Baekhyun! His mind suddenly snapped back into reality and his eyes opened wide as he looked ahead of him. Baekhyun stared at him, eyes wide and watery. His hands were down and his mouth slightly open.

Kyungsoo remembered everything. Baekhyun was his prince.

Kyungsoo straightened up and his eyes narrowed.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter