Chapter 7

Through the Winter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

            Not for the first time, Winter felt numb to her bones. She let her eyes slip in and out of focus as her legs carried her home, her brain understanding but not fully grasping the situation that happened in the audition earlier. She wondered if she had made the right decision going to the auditions in the first place. The entire idea about becoming the nation’s next celebrity was highly intriguing and was part reason for Winter’s decision to give the auditions a shot. But the audition had also given her other ideas that made her doubt her suitability and talent for the job. The other participants were wonderfully tailored for the position, whereas Winter, on the other hand, required much more altering and modifications before she could even stand on stage. Her body went taut as she reached the diner entrance, not knowing how to appear in front of her mother, who she knew was more expectant of her results than Winter was.

 

            As if she had rung a bell to announce her presence, her mother came running towards her daughter in an instant and they were locked in a tight embrace before Winter could fully grasp the situation.

 

            “M-mom… I can’t breathe,” Winter choked, but her mother only hugged her tighter.

 

            “Winter, I’ve been waiting for you,” her mother’s voice came out muffled as she spoke into Winter’s hair, but Winter was able to understand her astonishingly well. “I just want to say that no matter the result, I’m really proud of you for trying. I don’t know what I was doing, forcefully sending you to audition at such a big entertainment company. I think the idea of you making it big hit me first; I’m really sorry for not considering about your opinions… I only just realised that it could be a really tough road, with you being only sixteen—“

 

            “Mom, chill. I got in.”

 

            She felt the arms around her loosen considerably. “You what?”

 

            “I said, I got in, Mom. I got into Fantagio Music!”

 

            It seemed to take the longest time for her words to sink in. When they did, her mother was close to tears, but she was smiling in a way that shouted joy and celebration. The arms came around her again, tighter, and Winter almost regretted not getting away before breaking the news.

 

            “Oh Winter… I’m so proud of you!”

 

            “Yeah… but before that, there’s something I need to tell you.” Her mother blinked and she knew she was about to spoil their celebratory moment with her words, but if there was a right time to bring it out, it was now. “You see, what happened was…”

 

 

(FLASHBACK)

 

 

            Winter felt like her stomach had fallen into a black hole. The words, “You have failed” seemed to go on an endless repeat in her mind, and she knew it was the truth and yet was not willing to believe it. It was the most predictable outcome and Winter had braced herself for it countless of times. But to hear the wo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter