Chapter 10

Through the Winter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

            The first training day came all too soon for Winter. Winter reported at one of the training rooms on the 4th level of the company as instructed, heaving her heavy bags together with her. She was already out of breath when she stood outside Room 4-3, leaning desperately against the wall for some support. She heaved out a breath of hot air as she wondered grudgingly why she did not think about leaving her belongings in her new apartment before making her way here. The answer came to her in an instant; who started training so early at 8 o’clock in the morning? It had taken her a lot of effort to get out of bed before daylight even shone through her bedroom windows; now she felt as if her battery had completely depleted before she even started the day.

 

            Someone knocked sharply on the door beside her, waking her senses. It was someone she had never seen before, but who looked much older than her and fitted the training clothes much more than Winter did. At first glance she knew she must be a senior dancer, and Winter hurried to tidy her hair to create a pleasant first impression. The look she received, though, was not one that was welcoming but that was rather scrutinizing. The girl scanned her up and down, as if her eyes had x-ray vision and she could see through Winter’s soul.

 

            “Hello,” Winter attempted bravely, “I’m a new trainee; I mean background dancer here—“

 

            “Then come on in,” the girl waved her hand in a gesture that beckoned Winter to enter the room, her tone impatient. “Christmas is not going to come just because you stand here waiting for it.”

 

            Intimidated, Winter entered the room behind the girl and found that it was already packed with people across all ages. A group of six was practicing their choreography in front of the mirror in a heated manner, while others watched and waited for their turn. Winter took a deep breath, knowing that she would be one of them soon.

 

            “Who is this new addition?” A lady looking around her forties spoke from across the room. Immediately the music stopped, and everybody stopped in their tracks to look at Winter. Winter cursed silently; she hated receiving attention like this, as if she were the odd one out and could never fit in. Her hands clasped into fists beside her hips, hoping that it would stop the trembling.

 

            “I don’t know. I saw her standing outside the door just now with a bunch of belongings,” said the girl in an bored manner.

 

            Something lightened in the lady’s face as if she remembered something. “You must be the new girl. I heard there would be a new addition coming today, but I must have forgotten in the midst of teaching. Come here, girl, don’t be shy.” To Winter’s surprise, the lady ushered her to stand in the middle of the room in front of the mirror such that she was forced to face everyone in the room. “Introduce yourself.”

 

            “Hello, I’m Winter,” she said as steadily as she could, though the tremor in her voice was prominent. She stared at a blank spot in the wall as she talked, not daring to meet the eyes of others. She hated herself for being so timid.

 

            “Hello Winter,” said the lady a little too warmly, as if she was speaking to a five-year old toddler. “It’s nice to meet you. You can call me Mdm Goo. I’ll be your trainer from now on. Now if you move over here—“

 

            “What dance genre do you specialise in?” someone called from the crowd. Though Winter could not see who it was, it seemed like his question piqued the interest of the crowd, who were all now staring at her with curious looks.

 

            “I don’t really specialise in any genre… I just like dancing,” Winter said lamely. There was a distinct shuffling in the crowd after the statement that did nothing to lower Winter’s feelings of tension. Her lungs contracted as if they were gasping for air.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter