Chapter 24 — Season 3 —

Through the Winter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
— SEASON 3 —

 

           “So… you don’t like him?”

 

            “Huh?” Winter blinked, her eyes barely focusing on Yu Ri. She had come over to Yu Ri’s room in the morning to chill. While lying in the comfort of Yu Ri’s bed, she had spilled everything regarding her date with Eun Woo. A part of her wanted to keep this embarrassment to herself, but a larger part of her couldn’t bear bottling the pain inside. After that day, she had wondered around soullessly, resting in bed with Eun Woo’s face permanently etched into the back of her eyelids. After deciding that meeting someone could do her some good, she had gone to Yu Ri’s room. She shifted her gaze to a window that was behind Yu Ri, where white, pure snow was falling in heavy sheets. “No, that’s not it. I don’t not like him, I just…”

 

            “What is it? Because you look like a person who has gone through a breakup when you haven’t even been in a relationship!” Yu Ri said exasperatedly, the impatience in her voice seeping through. “Did he tell you explicitly that he didn’t like you?”

 

            “No,” she was aware that her voice sounded low and drawly, but she couldn’t help it. She wasn’t happy, and she didn’t know whether she could feel normal again. It is a breakup, she thought, the end of an unrequited love.

 

            “Did you tell him that you like him?” Yu Ri pushed on.

 

            “No.”

 

            “Then there is no evidence whatsoever to say that it won’t work out!” Yu Ri said slightly louder than she must have intended, because she reduced her volume when she spoke again. “What I mean to say is, yes, he might have given you something that was given to him by someone else, but that does not mean he didn’t give it to you because he likes you.”

 

            “It’s alright, Yu Ri,” Winter replied dismissively. She looked out the window again. “I don’t want to think about it anymore.”

 

            “But—” she broke off just as both of their handphones pinged at the same time. It was a message from Mr Go.

 

            “Did you receive it too?” Yu Ri asked, her impatience already gone. “I’ll read it out.

 

            Good morning ladies. Once again, congratulations on making it to the second round. In commemoration of the end of the first round, we will be having a one-day getaway to Gimpo to rejuvenate our minds and bodies. Since the second task will be revealed tomorrow, all candidates as well as mentors must be present for the event. It will be Christmas-themed, so bring along Christmas themed clothing and prepare a present for the gift-exchange session! Your gift receipient will be announced on the day itself. The event will take place tomorrow…” She paused to take a cautious glance at Winter. “It looks like you won’t be able to avoid Eun Woo tomorrow.”

 

            But Winter had already stopped listening. With a grunt she pulled the covers over herself and hoped to disappear.

 

 

 

            It was unfair, Winter thought miserably, that she was forced to spend the last day of her break on this trip when she could be at home resting—and probably thinking about Eun Woo. Enough! Winter told herself, she was not going to spend anymore time thinking about him or wallowing in self-pity. She was going to use this chance to rejuvenate, just like what Mr Go had said. That’s right, focus on rejuvenating, Winter—

 

            “Eun Woo! Over here!” someone called from the back of the bus. Startled, Winter whipped her head back and there Eun Woo was at the front of the bus, making his way towards her. Winter gulped, turning away in a hurry to find her seat when she tripped over a foot, and all of a sudden her vision was spinning and she was heading down, down—and was being pulled upright by a hand. The shock sent her gasping and she saw that she had her hand in someone else’s.

 

            “Careful there,” Eun Woo smiled, his outline seemed to shine with a bright, sunshine-like glow. Winter noticed the familiar jump in her heartbeat, but all she cared about was how warm and comfortable her hand felt in his palm. “Are you alright?”

 

            “Fine!” she said a little too quickly, her voice hitting a pitch as she pulled her arm reluctantly from his. She spotted Yu Ri at the corner of her eye and added a strangled, “thanks!” before making her way eagerly to sit beside her.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter