Chapter 43 —Finale—

Through the Winter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
— FINALE—

 

Winter paused outside Moon Bin’s door in the hospital, placing a hand on the wall to steady herself. She had sprinted here again without giving much thought to her exhausted body. Her muscles ached at every corner and she took a few deep breaths before pushing the door open just an inch so that she could see through the gap into his ward. Much to her surprise, the room was completely empty. The setting sun bathed the room in warm, yellowish light and when Winter took a few steps to take a closer look, the bed was empty as well. Where could he have gone? Winter thought to herself, disappointment catching up to her quickly. She had hoped she could at least catch a glimpse of him, just to make sure that he was still alive. She wouldn’t mind if she could not talk to him in person; just a glimpse… just a glimpse would suffice and she would leave.

 

“Ow!” somebody yelped. Winter whipped her head to a door opposite the bed where the sound had come from. Somebody is here. Without thinking she made her way in that direction and pulled the door open. It was a tiny restroom, with enough space for barely two people. Moon Bin was standing in front of the sink, his left arm coddling the right arm in a sling. As he saw Winter, his eyes grew large in surprise.

 

“Winter,” he gasped, as if he couldn’t believe his eyes.

 

Winter stood frozen for a few moments, not knowing what to do. This was a completely different scenario from how Winter had expected to meet him. Somehow, she had expected their reunion to be more brilliant, with fireworks and flower petals exploding around them in mid-air, not in this cramped restroom. “Moon Bin,” she replied, equally astounded. Though he was in a patient outfit, he still looked really handsome. His skin had regained its colour from the last time she had seen him, and he had slightly bedraggled hair, though that did nothing to dampen his beauty. He was staring at her intently with those eyes like a cat and she could tell he was scanning her appearance as well.

 

“What are you doing?” she managed to say, not tearing her eyes off him. Her heart had begun to pound like a drum from being in an enclosed space with Moon Bin. She hoped he couldn’t hear it.

 

“I was shaving,” he said after a moment’s pause. He didn’t take his eyes off Winter as he talked. “Or at least, I tried to shave by myself, but I failed horribly.”

 

“Then what was that sound just now?”

 

“I tried shaving using my left hand, since my dominant hand is injured. But my stupid fingers lost its grip and I dropped the shaver on my injured arm.” He waved the shaver to prove his point. “Since you’re here, would you like to help me?”

 

Winter gulped nervously. It didn’t sound like a good idea at all, since the area was so small and it involved two people who were emotionally attracted to each other. But seeing Moon Bin in an arm sling tugged at her heart. She had done this to him. He couldn’t do these mediocre things because of her. If there was any way she could do something for him, it was this very moment. She took the shaver from him and closed the distance between them, breathing shallowly. “W-what am I supposed to do?”

 

Moon Bin sat on the toilet seat and lifted his chin. “Squeeze a dollop of the shaving cream and rub it between your palms to lather it. Then spread it across my chin and use the razor to shave using gentle .” Winter did as she was told, gripping the razor loosely to lighten her strength. This up close, Moon Bin’s skin was as clean as a baby’s. She didn’t understand why—or rather—what exactly she was shaving. Her pupils flicked upwards and met his gaze. went dry in an instant. He was staring blatantly at her using that intense gaze again, not even blinking when they made eye contact. How was it possible for any human to look like this? She coughed hoarsely, her face gaining heat.

 

“Quit looking at me,” Winter reproached, “I can’t focus on what I’m doing if you keep looking at me like that.”

 

“Why can’t you focus?” he inquired, leaning his face closer towards hers in a purposeful move. “Is it because I’m making you uncomfortable? Or is it because you feel something for me?”

 

Winter took a sharp intake of breath. “I-I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

 

“Stop pretending, Winter. I heard what you said beside my bed when I was unconscious. You said you were sorry you lied to me that you didn’t like me. And that kiss, you said you didn’t remember it, but I’m pretty sure it was your lips on my cheek the second time round. Tell me, Winter, am I wrong?” Moon Bin confronted, his tone

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter