Chapter 16

Through the Winter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

            Fifteen minutes later while sitting on the floor of the practice room allocated for the Tiger theme, Winter never felt like she regretted her decision this badly before. Moon Bin had not spared Winter a single glance since they entered the room; he gave the other two contestants continuous eye smiles all while treating Winter as if she were part of the floorboard. Winter folded her arms in crossly, fixing her glare on Moon Bin, as if daring him to look her way. The moment he did, Winter resolved, she would kick him in an area where it hurt.

 

            “…the theme song for Tiger is much more upbeat and has a faster tempo than the others, which I think will give you a huge advantage because there are many instances where we can add in knife-like choreography to impress the audience…” Moon Bin was saying as he reached for his phone. A soft, addictive tempo came out from the device a moment later. “It’s good right? I’m so glad you picked Tiger; it really has a strong chance at winning if you put effort into the choreography.”

 

            The other two girls bobbed their heads in a synchronized manner to the beat of the music. Both of them had clicked off quite well within the fifteen minutes since their encounter, Winter noticed, and had cast Winter into the shadows. Not that this was new to her, or that she minded it as much as how Moon Bin had ignored her. She kept her arms folded, her gaze directly at him while the other two enjoyed the music. He seemed determined not to look her way and it was pissing her off more by the second.

 

            “Do you have any more questions? Otherwise it’s time for individual consults. Each of you can take turns to come into this practice room; it will be pretty simple. You share your ideas with me and I’ll give you my advice. Who wants to go first?” Moon Bin said.

 

            The other two girls looked at each other mindfully. As if a silent message has been passed between them, one of them—Ro Ah— spoke first, “I don’t mind going first—“

 

            “Actually, I have a question,” Winter said suddenly, causing Ro Ah to break off in an awkward manner. Both of them turned their gazes on her, but Moon Bin didn’t. He was staring fixedly at the floor. “I was wondering whether I could change groups; go to another theme instead.”

 

            “I remember Mr Go saying you’re not allowed to change themes once you’ve picked yours,” Moon Bin replied curtly, his voice as hard as steel.

 

            “But I think I’ve chosen the wrong one,” Winter pushed obstinately. “I feel like the mentors in the other themes would be more helpful towards me. You don’t seem happy to be my mentor either. Besides, I’m sure someone else would rather have a switch too. We can discuss this with Mr Go and everyone will feel happier not forcing themselves to do something they don’t want to.”

 

            From the corner of her eye, Winter saw the other girl, Tae Ri, open in shock. But Winter didn’t care. She felt like this was a war solely between her and Moon Bin.

 

            Moon Bin finally shifted his gaze, his pupils meeting her angry ones. Something smelling of victory blossomed in her chest. Ha! she thought, finally got you to look at me now, huh? But the triumph was gone in a split moment— if Winter was burning in flames of anger, his look on her was as cold as ice.

 

            “I don’t think that will be a very wise decision, breaking the rules,” Moon Bin said stiffly.

 

            “I don’t see why it can’t be done,” she replied shortly.

 

            An air of strong tension filled the room as they continued to stare at each other, fire meeting ice. The girls shifted uncomfortably in their seats.

 

            “On second thought, I think it would be best if Winter goes for counselling first,” Ro Ah said hastily. “Tae Ri and I will come up with some ideas in the meantime. We’ll be right around the area. You can call us when you’re done!”

 

            With that, they shuffled out of the practice room in a quickened pace, leaving both of them in a prickly silence.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter