Chapter 42

Through the Winter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Seoul Medical Hospital, please,” Winter said to the taxi driver the moment she hopped on. “And please drive as fast as you can.” Her heart thumped with renewed urgency as the world outside the car window swept past swiftly. From what I know, it happened at the four-way intersection just a street away from our company, Winter recalled Eun Woo saying. He ran across the road without caring about the red light and was hit by a 4-seater car. I-I think he must have been really desperate to see your performance. Winter, if you can make it, come to Seoul Medical Hospital, Level 18.

 

It took the taxi only 5 minutes to pull over into the hospital driveway. Thankful for the speedy ride, she gave the driver a tip and broke off into a sprint. Her feet carried her all the way to the 18th level as instructed by Eun Woo, where she found Moon Bin’s ward at the end of a long corridor. Her feet came to an abrupt stop in front of the door, her breaths coming out fast. When you arrive, there’ll be a group of staff members with us as well. If you come, they might suspect something between you two so I think it’s best that you pretend to visit the patient from the opposite ward. I’ll give you the signal to visit him when they leave.

 

Indeed, there were audible murmurs coming from the opposite side of the door, indicating the presence of a large group of people. Winter retracted her steps cautiously and made to sit on a chair placed outside the opposite ward. Time passed slowly for Winter in the silent corridor. She fidgeted with her phone impatiently; the time showed 11pm, almost an hour had passed since she sat there. Winter buried her face in her palms, fear, terror and guilt at her insides.

 

Just then, the door to Moon Bin’s room opened with a click. Winter lifted her head fractionally such that it was just enough for her to see through her palms. The ASTRO members filed out of the room one by one, all of their faces sullen. Following them, a shorter man Winter recognised to be ASTRO’s manager, Sang Yeol, appeared. Behind him were three other men Winter did not recognise, though one of them was clearly a doctor.

 

“Doctor, I’m sure I have your word that this will be kept confident?” said the older of the two unknown men.

 

The doctor nodded his head. “Naturally.”

 

“Perfect. Min Joon, I need you to inform the media that Moon Bin will be taking a hiatus from group activities. Oh, and reveal as little information as possible,” he addressed the other stout man with rounded spectacles. Min Joon nodded his head in response, “I’ll get to it.”

 

The man turned to ASTRO’s manager next. “Sang Yeol? Have you done what I’ve told you to do?”

 

“Yes, sir,” Sang Yeol replied instantly. He looked as exhausted as Winter had last seen him. “I’ve informed all the relevant shows about his condition.”

 

“Excellent. The time is late, I shall see you soon, Doctor. Boys, it’s time to head home,” the man said and the throng made to leave.

 

“Just a moment,” Eun Woo said suddenly, his eyes flicking toward Winter for a split second. “I want to take one more look at Moon Bin.”

 

“I’ll wait for you at the carpark then,” Sang Yeol said automatically. Everyone else turned to leave except for Eun Woo, who stood as still as a mannequin until they were out of sight.

 

“Winter,” he exhaled deeply, as if he had been holding his breath. “Thank you for coming.”

 

“Moon Bin… how is he? Is he hurt very badly?” Winter said in a shaky voice.

 

“Thankfully not. According to the doctor, this is a minor collision. Moon Bin is lucky that the crash did no severe harm to his vital organs, though he had fallen on his right arm and hit his head quite badly on the ground when he fell. He is going to be out for a few days minimally or even a week depending on his condition. We’ll have to see.”

 

Winter’s lips parted in shock. “He won’t be awake for a few days?”

 

Eun Woo nodded his head twice, crestfallen. “I know… It’s just so unfortunate that

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter