Chapter 11

Through the Winter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

            “What the hell are you doing here?!” it was Shin Ah that spoke first, her tone accusing and seeping with acid. Behind those crystal black eyes, Winter knew her brain was already filled with answers. As if on cue, something lightened in her dark pupils and she looked at Winter with an expression mixed with surprise and curiosity. “Are you… did you become a background dancer?”

 

            “That is none of your business,” Winter replied, trying to keep her face straight and her tone cold. She was determined not to give Shin Ah any answers, knowing what she was capable of doing with too much information.

 

            But Shin Ah seemed unfazed at her unyielding manner. A smirk slowly made its way up her pale face, and the curiosity in her eyes was instantly replaced with superiority. “Wow… A few weeks have passed and you have become a lot more courageous than before. What happened? Did that accidental performance boost your confidence? I personally thought it was below an F grade. How is it possible that someone like you could be able to perform at such a prestigious ceremony at school?”

 

            The corner of Winter’s lips twitched at the sound of the ceremony; memories of the extreme embarrassment that she had to face, hearing her own amateur voice singing while she was sprawled on the ground tingled at the back of her mind. She had thought that no one would know about it in her new life in the company; but Shin Ah held the key to her worst memories.

 

            “Oh, you must be curious why I’m here,” Shin Ah was saying in an innocent girlish tone that Winter thought did not suit her devilish nature. “I was training upstairs with the others and word spread out about this new special background dancer that came in today. Do you know what is special about her? Apparently, she is a solo dancer!” She broke into a cackle of high-pitched laughter that rang throughout the enclosed area, at which Winter simply stared with clenched fists. “She said she wanted to have the entire practice room entirely by herself! It sounded too ridiculous to be true, so I came down here personally to see who it is. I was wondering which spoilt brat could possibly demand such a thing when she is only a rookie… but now that I know it is you, I’m not that surprised any more. After all, it does seem to be in your nature to outperform yourself, isn’t it?”

 

            Winter’s palms were aching where her fingers dug deep into her flesh, but the pain was nothing compared to the pit of fire growing in her chest. She hated Shin Ah’s pretentious nature, her accurate skill in using just the right words that made Winter seethe fire. Above all, she hated the fact that despite her terrible nature, she was able to fool most people around her. Winter could only imagine what kind of charismatic stunts she must have pulled to be recruited into the agency. And amongst all agencies, why must it be Fantagio? Her heart ached as she thought about the terrible inconvenience her misfortune would bring upon her. Being an idol trainee before Winter, it would not quite be so easy to avoid Shin Ah even if she wanted to. She could only imagine the months; years of training stretched out in front of her with Shin Ah covertly throwing her insults when they crossed each other at the corridor; or how there would be absolutely no one she could turn to if matters got worse. She looked up. Shin Ah was still staring at her with a condescending expression.

 

            She glared at Shin Ah with hatred blooming in her chest, mastering all the fire she could in her eyes as she said with gritted teeth, “are you done talking? If you are, then I have to get going because someone has ruined my mood to continue practicing.” She made to turn towards the exit, but Shin Ah’s threatening tone stopped her in her tracks.

 

            “As your senior, let me tell you one piece of advice. Number one, don’t be so big-headed and claim your territories so quickly. Even though you’re merely stating your needs such as wanting the entire practice room by yourself; I believe your outrageous manner will only earn you more enemies than comrades. Two, you don’t want to make me your enemy either. I suggest you speak to me with more respect when we do meet, because mind you, I do know some very juicy things about you as your ex-classmate. And you don’t want other people knowing more bad news about you, I trust? On top of the ‘big-headed girl’ nickname that you already have?”

 

            “I don’t think you’re in any place to threaten me when I know many things about you as well,” Winter shot back. “Should I tell everyone that you’re a bully in school? That people who think you are nice should think twice?

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter