Chapter 39

Through the Winter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Though Winter had only just discharged from the hospital (and Dr Yang had reminded her numerous times to “Rest, rest, REST!!!”), she proceeded to practice for her last performance the moment she bid Mr Kim goodbye. The fact that she hardly started any practice before the accident, and that her body was still limp and weak from it did nothing to improve her preparations. By the time night fell she had only succeeded learning the first verse of the choreography. Knowing pushing herself any further would be no use, she decided to call it a day. She was walking towards the female restroom when a group of skinny teenagers sashayed out of the restroom, their faces split into a wide, nasty grin.

 

“I can’t believe she tried to act innocent,” the one heading the group was saying. They walked past Winter without sparing a glance. “All those times she acted like she was the sweetest, coolest girl in the world! We’re lucky we broke it off with her.”

 

“I agree,” another shorter girl chimed in agreement. “We did good giving her a taste of her own poison. I bet she will be crying till daylight! Hahaha!” the girls guffawed heartily as they walked away.

 

Instinct told Winter that something was up. She pushed open the restroom door impatiently, worry eating at her heart. What she saw completely took her breath away.

 

Shin Ah was slumped on the dingy floor next to the sink, her clothes dripping with water. When she looked up at Winter, she saw that her makeup was completely ruined, tears staining her cheeks black with mascara.

 

“Oh my god,” Winter gasped, immediately going beside her. “Here, take some tissues and wipe your face!”

 

“Go away!” Shin Ah shouted, throwing her tissues to the ground. “I don’t want your pity!”

 

But Winter did not know how to back off. She took another packet of tissues from her bag and placed it on Shin Ah’s open palm. “Look, I’ve been in these kinds of situations too many times, I know how it feels. When people bully you, you think life , or something is wrong with you, and that you’re all alone. But that’s not true! There will always be someone supporting you, you just have to see things in a different light.” Winter said consolingly despite herself. A part of her was chiding herself for talking so humanely to her enemy, but despite all that had happened, Shin Ah was also only human.

 

Shin Ah’s almond eyes were rimmed with red and were puffy from all the crying. She eyed Winter with an annoyed look. “Why are you helping me?” she demanded, her voice sounding defensive and brittle at the same time.

 

“Because… you’re human,” Winter voiced her thoughts, “I know how it feels to be human.”

 

Shin Ah gave her a scornful look that said, that’s-the-dumbest-thing-I’ve-ever-heard, but said nothing except for a few sniffs.

 

Winter leaned back against the wall beside Shin Ah—her mind putting aside her preference for cleanliness—and relaxed her aching muscles against the hard wall. Though they did not exchange another word with each other for a long time, the presence of each other seemed to be enough.

 

 

 

It was a strange feeling, in Winter’s opinion, being in such an enclosed space with the person that she had hated the most. They had remained silent for what felt like the longest time ever, and the dinginess of the restroom floor was starting to get on Winter’s nerves. She took another sideways glance at Shin Ah, but Shin Ah had turned her back towards Winter since she sat down beside her. Winter had not much of a clue as to whether she was feeling better, except for the occasional sniff that accompanied the sound of dripping water. Deciding that she could not keep up with the silence any longer, Winter reached out a hand towards Shin Ah right when her pocket jerked violently. A second later, the music, “I believe I can fly” resounded loudly and clearly in the silent room.

 

Shin Ah’s shoulders twitched as she fixed Winter with an annoyed stare. "Would you shut that thing up?” she scolded, “My ears are bleeding!”

 

“O-okay,” Winter said, mortified, as she quickly jabbed the call button on the screen and brought her cellphone to her ear. “Who is this?” she spoke into the device with a tinge of annoyance. I should’ve changed my ringtone earlier when I had the chance, she thought inwardly, humiliation tinging her cheeks with red.

 

“Winter, it’s me,” spoke a warm voice, and Winter’s heart melted at its familiarity.

 

“Mom?”

 

“Oh, Winter!” her mother exclaimed in relief, sounding like she had been holding a breath. “Where are you now? Can you come down to the lobby? I need to see you—"

 

“M-mom, I’m kind of in the middle of something right now,” she glanced at Shin Ah, who still refused to face Winter. “Can we talk about this later?”

 

“No!” her mother’s voice pierced into her eardrums, and Winter pulled her cellphone away a second too late. “I’m already at the lobby of Fantagio building. If you can’t come down, I’ll come to you. Which level are you at?”

 

Winter took another glimpse of Shin Ah as she bit her lip. Shin Ah’s clothes were still drenched, and she did not look alright at all. It did not seem right for Winter to leave Shin Ah alone. But Winter knew that when her mother was obstinate; she would not go back home even if Winter begged her on her knees.

 

“Okay, give me 5 minutes. I’ll see

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter