Approximations

Dance With Me

- Well, guys, that's all for today - Chaeyeon said, finishing another class. - Keep practicing the choreography that Seulgi and I taught you. We've been rehearsing for two months and we still haven't finished it! I’m proud to see everyone's progress, but it is still not enough. Y’all need to practice more!

- But the steps are very complicated, sunsegnim - said one of the students, raising her hand. - I managed to master the basic steps recently, and Bad Boy has a very difficult dance...

- Don't be afraid - Chaeyeon said, turning herself back to the student. - Look at Haeun, she is only 10 years old and has already mastered the highlight of the choreography, which is precisely the part that Seulgi unnie played when she promoted. If she can do it, so can you! Stop being lazy and go practice!

- Chaeyeon is right, guys - Eunbi got up and started talking. - Don’t you trust her? Have you forgotten who she is and what she has already done? Let's follow what she says and soon everyone here will be exceptional dancers!

- Alright, Eunbi, alright - said the student - I understand, you can already stop fawning her!

- I’m not doing it! She’s right, is it difficult to understand??

- I just said I already understood... calm down!

Chaeyeon, seeing the way Eunbi defended her, she felt something different. Something like ... butterflies roaming her stomach? She immediately noticed that her cheeks were "hot"; then she put her hands on them, afraid of being all red.

- W-well, it's almost time for the other class to arrive. You can go now! - she said, trying to hide how she was embarrassed.

Just then, Seulgi arrived, ready to start her class. While waiting for the students to come, Chaeyeon walked towards her, being interrupted by Eunbi:

- Chae, today Joohyun unnie will not come to "" me to my house... so, is your proposal still standing??

- W-what proposal ??? - Chaeyeon asked, very surprised.

- To invite me to come to your house, since I can't take you to mine..

- Ah, that... but Seulgi unnie had this idea, did you forget??

- So, that day, you didn't want to???? - Eunbi was clearly disappointed.

- N-that's not it... I'm just a little awkward... I'm not used to receiving visitors, nor do I have many friends. I spend a lot of time alone. To tell you the truth, the only time in the day when I see other people is when I'm teaching.

Upon hearing Chaeyeon's words, Eunbi, on impulse, hugged her tightly, even though she knew she still hadn't been able to approach her the way she wanted. Even after almost two months of daily classes, there was still a “wall” between the two - and now she understood why. But the gap that Chaeyeon left could, in short, would be the chance that that idol-fan relationship needed to start turning into a friendship, which was all that Eunbi wanted. But more than that, she didn't want to see Chaeyeon feeling lonely.

- How about we go now? I don't want to waste any more time - Eunbi said, courageously, without undoing the hug.

- I can't... you know I have to teach another class in the afternoon. How about tomorrow? - Chaeyeon walked away. - If I go today, I will have to come back here, it will disturb my whole day. My schedule is much more free on Saturday, I will be able to give you more attention and Seulgi and Irene unnies will be able to go too...             

- You can go today, Chaeyeon! I’ll teach in your place - Seulgi, who was listening to the conversation, interrupted. - You don't have to go back!

- Don't you prefer it to be tomorrow? Eunbi will take Irenethere, you'll be able to see her right, anyway! Aren't you excited??

Seulgi became silent, hoping that Chaeyeon would understand. Joohyun, despite appearing at the dance academy every day, was clearly avoiding talking to her. She was even avoiding to look into her eyes. Even Eunbi couldn't understand her sister's behavior, but observing this situation, she realized that Seulgi already understood.

- Let her replace you today, Chaeyeon. I want to go today! I've been waiting for this for a long time...

- Are you sure, Seulgi? - Said the dancer, pulling her friend away from Eunbi.

- Yes I have. You have to enjoy more your life. You have only me to talk, and clearly Eunbi makes you smile. Don't you think it's time to have a little more color in your life? You need to allow yourself to be happy!

- But unnie,.. I don't know if I'm ready! She wants to be my friend, but she is also a fan. Sometimes I wonder if it would be better to keep that line well defined. To tell you the truth, I'm scared. What if she is disappointed when she actually finds out everything about me?

- You will never know if you don't take chances. Don't you think you've wasted too much time hiding from yourself?? - Seulgi said, in a serious tone.

- Is this advice for me or for yourself? - Chaeyeon replied with the same seriousness.

- Just accept! She's waiting for you. I take care of everything here. I’ll see you soon! - Seulgi pushed her and went to receive the students, who started to arrive.

- Well, shall we? I'll take you to lunch and then we'll go home, okay? - Chaeyeon askedtd Eunbi, who took a happy leap.

- Yes!! Whatever you want, Chae!

The two left the dance academy embraced, while Seulgi looked at them, admiring the open smile that her friend displayed.

 

 

All the students at the last hour of the day had already arrived. Seulgi was about to start class - just the one that Chaeyeon would give - when the door opened:

- Chaeyeon, I'm sorry for not reporting all this time- Seulgi ??

- Yujin???

- Yes, it’s me ... I was missing classes for a long time, right?

- A long time, you and your sister. What happened?

Yujin swallowed. She remembered about Wonyoung, and the fact that she still hasn't recovered her memory. Guilt was already driving her to the depression, so her parents suggested that she return to school, so that it would occupy her mind.

- We went through some family problems, but now things are better - she lied.

- I'm glad! Chaeyeon even thought that you had dropped out of the course and suspended your enrollment. And she also felt guilty for being so demanding of you in the first class.

- Really she thought it? I was the one who was rude to her, I wanted to apologize... where is she? I'm going to be a regular student!

- Leave the excuses for another time. We solve your situation after the class is over, okay? Now sit down so I can start the class.

Yujin promptly obeyed and remained quiet throughout that period, trying to absorb some of what he had lost in recent months.

 

 

In that same moment, already at Chaeyeon's house,  Eunbi was delighted. Every detail made her eyes fill with tears. It was another dream come true. She didn't even imagine meeting her in person; now she was inside her home, and with a good chance of being her friend. But, nervous as she was, she couldn't say much more than “wow, your house is so beautiful” and admiring the furniture and awards she had won - which were many. After all, Chaeyeon (don't forget that) was the youngest choreographer in k-pop history to win the award in the “Best Choreography of the Year” category, for example.

- Wow! Your career is fantastic! - said Eunbi, perplexed. She was knowing details that she would never have imagined knowing before. Her admiration for Chaeyeon grew even more.

- Well, actually, it was never my goal. Dancing has always been my passion, but after I met Hoseok, it ended up becoming my job. The rest just went on and on.

Eunbi noticed the sparkle in the dancer's eyes as she spoke. I could feel that she really loved what she did. Curious, she asked a question:

- Why did you decide to get away from it all? Don't you miss all the life you've been leading? Choreographing for the best groups in Korea… coexisting and being friends with established idols, having the opportunity to be even more famous...

Chaeyeon was a little uncomfortable with the question, but seeing that Eunbi was really interested on it and not just having a fan moment, she decided to start answering:

- If you are really my fan, you know I never really liked to show up myself, so this part of “wanting more fame”, forget it, okay? But yes, I miss living with them, even though the only person who really became my friend was Seulgi. I left for personal reasons.

- Hoseok's death, right? I remember that day. All journalists and paparazzis reached you to try an interview or get a statement, but you disappeared for months. I was alert because I wanted to see you say something.

- I'm sorry, Eunbi - Chaeyeon cut her off - but I don't want to talk about it.

- Why? Is it something that no one knows?

- Please, Eunbi... I like your company, but don't ask me more about my past, don't cross that line!

- But I didn't ask anything about your past, we're just talking about why you left the world of k-pop.

Realizing that she had said too much and that she could have aroused in Eunbi a curiosity about something he didn't want anyone to know, Chaeyeon tried to change the conversation’s subject. She was right, because Eunbi began to persuade her to open up. Eunbi was a dedicated fan and she wanted to know every detail of her life. Just in time, the phone rang and she walked away to answer it:

- Seulgi unnie! You saved me from a good one, thank you!

- Chae, I need you now, please!

- W-what happened? - Chaeyeon replied, noticing the tension in her friend's voice.

- I was ready to leave the dance academy, and guess who showed up here!!

- Don't tell me that Irene went to look for Eunbi! Is she in trouble??? Is her mother looking for her??

- No, of course not! Hadn't she told you that Joohyun unnie wasn't going to be there today?

- Ah, really - Chaeyeon slapped her forehead. - So what happened? Why are you so nervous ???? Who appeared there?

- Jimin...