003

The Perfect Groom
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A ray of sunlight that decided to seep through the window of the car, landed on Yoon’s closed eyes, making the girl wake up within no time. Narrowing her eyes at the morning sunlight, Yoon tried to straighten up on the seat, but the weight on her shoulder prevented her from moving.

Right. He fell asleep next to me.

Being careful not to wake him up, Yoon slowly turned her head in Baekhyun’s way, and decided to watch him sleep with his head leaning on her shoulder, until he woke up himself.

His hand was still clasping the hem of her coat, and the only colour added to his paper white face were the dark circles he didn’t have last evening. Despite the uncomfortable sitting position where he sat cornering the girl in the back seat, heavily leaning on her, he was sound asleep, making his deep breaths fill the car with a headache-causing whiskey scent.

Let’s wait till he wakes up.

She thought.

 

“Baby we can stay up

neoreul naege deonjyeo

Baby we can stay up

gajang gipeun gotkkaji fall in love...”

 

Yoon couldn’t help but hiss when her phone started ringing, which made him stir and wake up with a groan. Baekhyun moved away from her and leaned forward, to prop his elbows on his knees and bury his face in his palms with another groan.

“Oh...omma.”

Her voice made him whirl his head around her way, and Yoon bit her lip before returning to her mother’s call, avoiding his shocked gaze. “Yeah...at home... Lunch? What lunch?”

Baekhyun straightened up on the seat, and stared at her.

“No omma...nothing special... okay we’ll be there. What’s wrong with my voice? ......Geez omma...nothing’s wrong! It’s just... too cold here. That’s all.”

Ending the call, Yoon looked back at Baekhyun.

“What are you doing here Yoon?”

Yoon blinked at him. “You don’t remember Baekhyun-ssi?”

His face turned paler, if that was even possible. “Remember what?”

“I brought you home last night. And you didn’t want to get off the car. So I had no choice but stay here.”

A slight relief was visible in his face, as if the worst things he hoped hadn’t happened. “Well...you didn’t have to bring me home. I’d have been just fine on my own.”

“You’re not fine Baekhyun-ssi. Not fine at all. And if you’re as half flexible as when you’re drunk, I wish we can do a lot of talking. I mean I want to do it when you’re sober.”

And his phone was vibrating in his pocket.

“Yeah, Krystal.”

It was his personal assistant.

Listening to her through the phone, Yoon watched how Baekhyun’s eyebrows slightly narrowed, lips forming a thin line as he listened.

How can one look so handsome with such a hangover?

“Hmm.” He ended the call and turned to Yoon. “Your mom invited us to lunch, didn’t she?”

“Yeah. Said she’ll be waiting. Even appa is home.”

“Yoon there’s an event in the shopping mall. I didn’t remember it at all untill Krystal reminded just now.”

“So you can’t join the lunch?”

Baekhyun shook his head. “We’ll both be attending the event. It’s the new jewellery line launch. We’ll visit your parents as soon as it ends. It won’t take long.”

He only waited until the girl nodded in reply, and got off the car to walk into the mansion.

 

* * *

She was staring at her closet when he entered the room and stood behind her. “That grey midi dress would do.” he pointed at the dress hanging in the far left corner. “Maybe with a maroon or magenta coat? It’ll look good on you.”

Yoon turned to face him and shook her head. “Wore it just about a month ago. To Minho’s Fashion Academy opening.”

“Ah...” he bit his lip, and looked over the closet over her shoulder. “Then it’ll still be on articles... How about that one? That light pink one.”

Yoon smiled, and shook her head again. “It doesn’t fit me at all. Seohyun unnie gave it to me last year. Just couldn’t hurt her feeling so I’m keeping it.”

Baekhyun sighed. “Let’s go. I’ll buy you one.”

 

 

And there they were, in the designer boutique Baekhyun’s mother had recommended, after Baekhyun had escorted her to a salon to get her hair and makeup done. And Yoon was wondering why he asked the stylist to do her hair in a Chinese style up do. “It’ll suit you.” he merely stated.

Without taking a seat and waiting for her to choose a dress like Yoon had expected, he took charge as soon as they entered the place. Yoon watched him as he walked across the floor with a procession of employees following him eagerly.

He stopped at the Chinese dresses.

Stared at them for a moment.

Reached for a dark grey dress with silver and red embroidery, and took it off the hanger.

“She’ll wear this. And we need a white fur to match it.” He ordered the nearest employee before bringing the dress to the girl. “You’ll look good in this.”

 

* * *

The shopping mall was filled with nothing but squeals and swooning remarks when the young couple finally arrived there for the event, Yoon dressed in the grey Chinese dress with the luxurious white fur wrapped around her, and Baekhyun dressed in a charcoal grey tuxedo to match. He took her hand and put it through his elbow before stepping into the department store where the launching event was being held, and gave her a carefree smile ignoring her reddened face. “Let’s get this done quickly. Then we can go home.”

“Just look at those two!” Both of them clearly heard as they walked hand-in-hand towards the platform in the middle of the large floor. “A match made in heaven aren’t they?”

“And that dress...it makes her look y and elegant at the same time!”

“So imagine how that new diamond collection would look on her!”

“It’s just money! Anyone can look pretty if you spend millions of Won on them!”

“Don’t be such a hyprocrite! She’s gorgeous and they look great together so just admit it!”

“He’s the perfect husband for her! Oh my goodness...”

 

Hearing both positive and negative comments, Yoon looked at Baekhyun once they got on the platform to be welcomed by the event host. Despite all the cameras flashing at them, he remained staring at the floor, with his eyebrows still narrowed and jaws slightly clenched.

Maybe it’s hard with the hangover?

 

“......and I hereby invite our Vice President, to mark the launching of our new Diamond Collection.”

A tray with a several jewellery boxes were held in front of him, and it made him look up with a forced smile. The next few moments were spent taking photographs, of him and the jewellery designers exchanging the new collection. Then it was the time to symbolically put the jewellery on the Vice President’s wife, and Yoon lowered the fur down to her elbows, to give him room to put the diamond necklace on her.

And he stepped closer, to gently place the necklace at the base of her neck and clasp it at the back. Cheers and applause filled the department store, and he took his time to admire the glistening jewel on her before giving her a gentle smile.

The first time he smiled with her that day.

 

 

Refusing the driver, Baekhyun took the car himself, to head to Yoon’s parent’s place when the launching event ended. Even after revving up the engine, he paused for a moment to close his eyes and let out a silent sigh.

“It’s uncomfortable isn’t it?” Yoon asked, looking at his tired looking face.

“What’s uncomfortable?’ he widened his eyes at her, and shook his head. “I’m alright Yoon.”

“No you’re not.” Yoon stated. “You’re having a throbbing headache since morning. No wo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter