001

The Perfect Groom
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Exhausted from work that exceeded ten hours at the HQ, Yoon dragged her feet to the last row of seats in the bus, taking the empty seat at the corner and secretly taking off the Christian Louboutines underneath the seat and relaxing.

Those were the last pair.

The rest of her designer shoe collection was taken away, with all their possessions when the bank came for the final seizer of assets.

She leaned her head on the glass, watching the amber street lamps pass by as the bus continued to move towards its destination, passing the luxurious neon signs of cinemas and galleries.

Those places once she used to frequent, either with her mom of her very few chosen friends from families of equal status.

Things had drastically changed within a four months’ time span, dragging down her family to the level she had to work as a mere monthly salaried employee at her own dad’s company.

Being assistant to the new managing director was hard, since the arrogant man in his late thirties found his biggest pleasure in recalling her family’s current situation, throwing all kinds of derogatory remarks her way, at least dozen times a day.

Hold on, Lee Yoon. It’ll be fine in a few weeks like omma said.

She clutched onto the not-so-exquisite handbag, placed on her beige pencil skirt.

 

The bus came to another stop where just one person got in, turning everyone’s heads his direction the very second he stepped in, as the new passenger took a minute to mumble something politely to the driver.

He looked around as if he was searching for someone, and scanning each seat those were occupied by wide eyed young working women, he walked towards the back of the bus.

Ebony hair done in the most rich and sophisticated manner, hands stuffed in trouser pockets those belonged to an undoubtedly custom made classical Italian maroon plaid suit, young face which gave his age as in mid-twenties with well maintained fair complexion, with peachy pink lips to match, sharp eyes blinking slowly as they swept across each face inside the bus, every single detail about him screaming wealth and class.

Totally my style.

The girl was almost ashamed of herself for having such thoughts for a random guy who just appeared in front of her eyes. But throwing the girl completely off-guard, and snapping her out of the unexpected thoughts, he approached her, taking his mobile phone out of his blazer pocket.

“Lee Yoon-ssi?”

She blinked.

The iPhone screen showed a photo in front of her eyes, while his lips curved up at their corners. “Isn’t this you?”

The photo was indeed of hers, probably taken at some red carpet event, most probably last summer.

“Yes... it’s me.” she muttered, eyes rounded in surprise. “But who are you –”

“Nice to meet you. I’m Byun Baekhyun.” He introduced himself, bowing in a polite yet most masculine manner, the smile never leaving his lips. “I hope you know me by my name.”

 

A gasp escaping her matte coral lips, Yoon got onto her feet. “Oh anyeonghaseyo...”

“Shall we get off? We shouldn’t be taking too much of these peoples’ time right?”

“Of course.” The girl nodded, shuffling her feet into her high heeled shoes and stepping out of her seat. He nodded in reply and walked towards the exit, to thank the driver with a slight bow before getting off the bus. And she followed hurriedly.

The bus took off, and the young gentleman turned to face her again.

“Since it’s hard on public transport, my parents asked me to you to the hotel. Shall we get going now?”

The girl looked around, and saw a brown Audi R8 coming to a stop by the bus stop. A chauffer in a charcoal grey suit got off, to hurry towards them and bow down to his young master. He then handed over the car key, which Byun Baekhyun took with a muttered thanks. And he went to the gleaming new automobile, to open the door of the passenger seat, inviting the girl himself.

 

And they were heading to the venue which Yoon was supposed to be present at after work, the hotel where their blind date was arranged.

Let’s call it a meeting between the two families. Because the couple wasn’t meeting each other alone as how it happened in typical blind dates, in fact even the dates were decided for the marriage beforehand, and this was only a formal dinner in show for the media and press.

Neither of the two young people could afford to oppose. For Yoon, this marriage was the only way to get back the numerous subsidiaries her dad’s company lost during the crisis that made their family business face complete bankruptcy. And for Byun Baekhyun, this marriage was the best opportunity to get hold of a well renowned business family through three generations in South Korea, and become the son-in-law of the honourable Lee Holdings, in order to become their one and only heir.

That’s what Yoon was told, that the Byun family was eyeing their gone down business, hence she had become lucky to marry the one and only son of the Byun family.

The well educated, prince-like handsome Byun Baekhyun, who’s said to have the best personality a third generation conglomerate youth in Korea could have.

And none of the descriptions seemed to be wrong, she thought as she watched the young male drive in silence, his eyes fixed on the road ahead.

Flawless indeed... Am I even good enough for him?

 

“Yoon-ssi,”

His voice made her snap out of her thoughts, and listen to him attentively. “You’re exhausted aren’t you?”

“Oh, not that much, Baekhyun-ssi.” She replied, quickly shaking her head.

Forget being the vice president of a multinational trading group. His voice sounds so fresh and smooth like that of a carefree college guy.

“You are tired. I can see that. How can you not be tired after such a long day at work? I’ll make sure my parents don’t drag the talking too long.”

Caring. We just met and spent like ten minutes together...yet so caring, Byun Baekhyun.

 

They soon arrived at a top notch hotel in Seoul where both their parents were waiting at a private VIP dining room. They were escorted in, and once the two middle aged couples appeared in front of her eyes dressed good enough for a Christmas dinner, Yoon knew she had taken the wrong decision in following Baekhyun in her office attire.

Screw this good for nothing pencil skirt and chiffon blouse... I totally look like their secretary or office intern.

But proving her wrong, Byun Baekhyun’s mother got up from her seat, to rush towards the surprised girl and take both her hands in genuine affection. “You’re much prettier than we saw on media.” The lady beamed, eyeing the girl from head to toe in adoration. “Honey, if she’s this pretty in office attire, just imagine how divine she’ll look in the bridal dress!”

Yoon heard her soon-to-be father-in-law’s laugh, and he turned to the girl’s parents. “Baekhyun’s mom always wanted a daughter. Since we just have him, she was always looking forward to having a daughter-in-law.”

Yoon eyed her own mother, and saw her nodding slightly in assurance.

Omma approves. They must be nice people.

“I’m flattered, Mrs. Byun-”

“Just start calling me omonim already! You’ll be doing it in two weeks anyways!”

“Omma she’s tired. Let’s get this done soon shall we?” Baekhyun interrupted, and walked towards the table to greet Yoon’s parents with a deep bow before taking his seat beside his dad. “And Mr. Lee, if you don’t mind, can I have a brief word with Yoon-ssi in private?” he asked the girl’s dad, earning a laugh in return.

Business. So laughs and plastered smiles were a given.

“Why even ask son? She’s all yours now.”

Quarter to ten, they were on their own as the soon-to-be groom had requested, to have a word in person.

On his private ferry, floating gracefully along the River Han.

Again I look like his personal assistant, standing next to him like this... How embarrassing!

“You look pretty enough, no need to feel so self conscious Yoon-ssi.” He turned to her, giving a carefree smile.

He’s reading my mind already... isn’t he?

“Where are my manners seriously...” he sighed, taking off his blazer suddenly. And while the girl was literally waiting for him to drape it over her shoulders, he merely held it in front of her, waiting for her to take it herself.

“Wear this, it’s chilly.”

He doesn’t want any skinship I guess.

She took it thanking him, and draped it over her half frozen shoulders. He stuffed his hands in his trouser pockets again, to stare at the buildings glinting with white and amber lights far away on the shore, before he started speaking again.

“I think you know the cause of this marriage as much as I do, I guess.”

“Yes...” she nodded. “We’re more than grateful to you.”

“Ani...” he shook his head. “It’s give and take, if you put it in the most straightforward way. So both of our families gain, no one’s at a loss.”

Okay...this is how harsh the truth can sound.

“But Yoon-ssi, this is about our lives isn’t it?” he asked, now turning to face her fully.

“We’re going to live together for the rest of our lives. And it’s not just about business.”

A nod was all she could give.

“So tell me, do you have a boyfriend? Or someone you have feelings for at the moment?”

“No... no one, Baekhyun-ssi.” Her answer was quicker than he expected.

“You don’t have to hide, if you do.”

“No really, I don’t have anyone. And... what about you Baekhyun-ssi?”

He shook his head. “No one.”

The smile came too easily onto her lips. All the chebol stories she had witnessed in real life, had been haunting her until this moment, worrying the girl whether he too was going to have a secret lover after marriage.

“What I wanted to tell you is...” he bit his lip, casting his eyes towards the floor beneath his shoes.

“I may not be able to love you whole heartedly, Lee Yoon-ssi...”

Her insides turned ice for a brief second, just until he continued with his words.

“I mean not from the very beginning. I’m not ready for marriage yet, but since we have no choice left, let’s take things slow.”

“Sure...that’s how I want it to happen as well.” Yoon replied, in awe of how his thoughts matched with hers.

“I assure you I’ll be a good husband. It’s just...it’ll take some time. But I want to be good to you, since you’re trusting your life with me.”

“Baekhyun-ssi,”

“Yes, what is it?”

“Let us be honest.” Yoon decided to be fully open with him, since she had nothing to lose at the moment. “I’m marrying you for your money. You’re marrying me for the name. Isn’t that what you’re trying to imply?”

Baekhyun nodded without hesitation.

“Because it is for my parents, I don’t want to oppose this. But since it is my life, I want this to work out well.”

He nodded again, but slowly and more thoughtfully this time.

“I’ll... I’ll do my best. Your parents are trusting me with your life...so I must do my best.”

 

 

Those couple got off the ferry after spending about an hour there, and a formally dressed female employee who appeared to be and assistant was waiting for them at the jetty, with a tray in her hands.

“I’m not quite into these public proposal stuff, but I was told that many paparazzi’s will be interested in us.” He chuckled, signalling his employee to come closer. “Sorry for makin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter