Isolation

Sentai AU - The Bonds of Time

WHAM!

"Of all things, you let them get away, not to mention the dummy version has been stolen, which could have been reverse-engineered into a weapon for them to use!"

"Sir, you must realize that the dummy version had only been its first development stage, in other words, a meer handle."

"Yes, but your actual prototype is now in the hands of a bunch of vigilantes!"

"Ah, but you see, as THEY have it and have actually managed to solve the puzzle, not to mention FINISHING it, they might actually help us as Lieutenant Son has suggested. This is a stunning deve-"

"ENOUGH!"

Naeun and the man next to her shudder as Jung Boseok lets out a long sigh.

"I have much to think about. Until then, you're dismissed, Huh Gak. And Lieutenant Son. DON'T. EVER. LEAVE. THEM. BE."

Once Naeun steps outside and carefully closes the door, she closes her eyes as she lets out a shuddering sigh.

"Don't listen to him," Huh Gak says, shaking his head. "I firmly believe they're here to help us, and we should treat them as our allies." He then places a hand on her shoulder. "You did the right thing out there."

Just then, there's a beep on Naeun's walkie-talkie. "Lieutenant Son here."

"Lieutenant! There's been a discovery at the blast site! We'd like for you and Mr. Huh to come over right away!"

-

Back at Eunji's apartment, everyone's huddled around the living room near the television.

"So... Hayoung-ie... you really had to stare her down?"

Hayoung nods her head slowly.

"Wow... you showed her!" Bomi smirks.

"She was SO RUDE to us earlier..." Namjoo mutters.

BOP!

"What was that for, unnie?" they both say in unison.

Chorong shakes her head. "Anyway, Eunji, you mind telling me about Naeun? You told me you'd tell me a bit about her, but because you've been busy with work, I didn't want to pressure you."

"Naeun? That's her name?" Bomi interjects.

"Yes," Eunji says. "She and I have known each other for a while. Back to our school days."

Everyone's eyes widen.

-

"Hey, Naeun! You wanna come along and get bingsoo with us?"

"I'm kind of busy today."

"Okay, well let us know when you're free!"

Naeun came from Seoul when I was in my first year of high school. She was so quiet and so blank. She'd keep to herself and there was so much gossip about her, including a lot of untrue rumors... Sooah and I knew the truth because I asked my teacher. Naeun didn't exactly come from a priveleged background. Money was scarce for her and her family, unlike a lot of us. A lot of the students at our school could spot that in the blink of an eye. Sure, everyone came in our school uniform, but the bags, materials, and a lot of the small things just put her apart from most people.

That being said, she was also considerably smarter than everyone, being amongst the top students of our school. But for some stupid reason, everyone who shamed her for her background just brushed it off as the poor kid wanting to prove her worth. I didn't. Neither did Sooah. We both saw her as truly gifted. Most kids seemed to drop off here and there, but she was ALWAYS performing like the cream of the crop. No one could touch her.

"Oh, look. Look who came out on top again."

"Big deal. Nothing ever changes."

"She's lucky to even be here."

"Why am I listening to this on repeat?! Maybe if someone lit a fire under you y'all would actually do well for once!"

"JUNG EUNJI. Is there a problem?"

"No, Ms. Moon."

It was always like that. Someone would slight her and I'd be right there to back her up. Didn't matter who it was. You see, Sooah and I both tried to be her friend, but... it was like... she put herself in a box as soon as she came, and she didn't even feel bothered to come out.

"Pretty girl! Why don't you hang with us? Hehehe..."

"Hey! You better watch your mouth there, Hakchan! Lest I tell Ms. Moon again that you keep heckling her with your nonsense!"

"You know, I'm untouchable, Eunji! She'll end up by my side anyway!"

SMACK!

"Why YOU LITTLE!"

"FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!"

And all the while, Naeun had already walked off a long time ago. Just as she always had. Isolating from everyone else.

-

"After we graduated, I didn't hear from her until just before I moved out. I'd always ask around but no one knew what she was up to. It was only after I saw from the distance in her cop outfit that I came to know what she chose in life. And after that, I knew I couldn't be as nice as before, lest she bring me back to my father..."

"I had... no idea..." Chorong says softly.

"But... I never wanted it to be that way. Knowing what she went through... it-" Eunji can barely muster words before she lets her face rest into her palms. "UGH!!!" There's only silence that follows as Chorong calmly puts her arms around Eunji.

-

"So... what is this?"

"We're not even sure, Lieutenant."

"Regardless, we should take a look at it in the lab tomorrow morning," Huh Gak says. "My team can examine it."

"Very well," Naeun says. She can't help but notice the giant, stylized "Q" on this eerie box that the officer hands her.

As Naeun and Huh Gak drive back to Jung Enterprises, there's a long prolonged silence before the latter breaks the ice.

"You know, sometimes I can't help but read files on some of CEO Jung's close confidantes and associates. And I came across yours one day. You knew CEO Jung's daughter."

"Yea. What about her?"

"Same class for all three years of high school. How'd you deal with that ball of energy?"

"...I didn't."

"She bother you that much?"

"...the kids there were just so... snobby. So snobby. I mean, why take pity on me? Just to look good?"

"Well, you should know she's anything but snobby. So not snobby that she left home. Not surprising. The company ain't her style. Honestly, I don't blame her for leaving."

"And now we have to deal with her as a vigilante."

"Yes, but one who can help us. Just like you said."

"Maybe..."

-

"Eunji-unnie... you did the right thing," Hayoung says.

"By being rude back to her?" Namjoo interjects. Chorong promptly glares at her.

"...anyway," Hayoung says slowly. "As I told you, I could tell she wasn't easy. Her hands were shaking, and it got worse. When we were leaving, I could feel it in her voice. She was being genuine."

Bomi nods. "Take it from Hayoung, Eunji. Our Hayoung has an eye for good people," she says as she pats Hayoung on the shoulder. "If she can spot someone as cold as Naeun being genuine, I'd say we should treat her as someone who can help."

"One more thing, unnie," Hayoung interjects. "There's something I came to realize as you told your story... When we left her, I looked back, and... she seemed envious, almost. It's like she wanted to leave with us..."

Eunji can only ponder as she shakes her head.

"Listen, Eunji, it's been a long day. We should get some rest," Chorong says softly.

I wonder... does she really feel... lonely?

-

What have the police discovered? Is Naeun truly an ally to the rangers? How will Eunji and Naeun's relationship evolve? Find out next chapter!

-

A/N: So yeah, it's been a while. Anyway, welcome to the introduction to Naeun's arc. I think that anyone who has watched Timeranger and/or Time Force know what's coming... Hope y'all have enjoyed reading!