4th Hit

HIT IT
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1] HELPING HAND [/CONTENTID1]

[CONTENTID2] 4TH HIT [/CONTENTID2]

[CONTENTID3]

Yujin’s not liking this kind of setup anymore.

Right now, a practice game has been held in their school against the Fifth Academy. And also right now, it’s the bottom of the 7th Inning – Fifth Academy to bat.

The catcher making signals for what pitch to throw at the enemy’s batter; the pitcher starts to wind up as she released it. Just the sound of the baseball ball hitting that big soft mitt, creating a big blow as it made the batter swing in the air makes Yujin’s heart flutter a little.

You know what Yujin’s feeling right now? She felt like she’s being tortured.

That should’ve been her standing in that dirty mound, throwing those pitches at the enemy’s batter. But due to certain reasons, she has to sit out from this game and the coming practice games until she makes an improvement with her academic grades – which she totally at.

Right now, Yujin’s at the bullpen, throwing balls with her teammate.

 

“That should’ve been you right there, Yujin-ah.” Her teammate said pointing at the direction where one of their sunbae who’s in the same position as Yujin, standing at the mound as she just struck out another batter.

 

Count is two strikes.

 

Yujin just sighs in defeat. “Ugh. Don’t even go there, Chae..” then threw a fastball at her and she just catches it easily.

 

Lee Chaeyeon, a second year just like Yujin, also part of the baseball club and also part of the first string. Also part of the clean-up squad of Twelfth Academy and she’s the second best hitter of our baseball team.

And she’s here right now with Yujin, in this not so spacious bullpen in their school playing catch with each other instead of participating in the practice game.

 

“But I gotta say,” she threw the ball back. “You really made a mess out of her face.”

“That wasn’t enough.” I threw another one – a breaking ball this time. “If only those guys didn’t stop me from doing it.”

“Hey! Take it easy with the breaking balls!!”

“Come on Chae. It’s not that hard to catch it.” she threw the ball back at me, and it had a lot of strength in that last throw.

“For the record, I’m not a catcher.” Of course not.

“Where is Chaewon anyway? She didn’t also participate in the practice game.”

 

It was really weird that the only second year catcher of their club is not present – which really never happens at all. She was always present when it comes to playing against other schools whether it maybe just a practice game or an official game.

And since her absence is quite a shock, they did a risky decision letting a first year play as the catcher of the team.

 

“I don’t know..” Before I could throw another ball, she showed her palm at me, telling me to stop throwing. “But you better apologize to her.”

Apologize? “Why?” I didn’t do her wrong.

She gave me a disappointing look. “Seriously? You’re asking me that when you yourself knows the reason why?”

“Look I don’t even know what I did to her. Unless if it’s about the to–” oh. OH. That was really stupid of me. Of course you have to apologize because of that! When I had my attention drifted to Chaeyeon back, she still wasn’t budging with that disappointing look she’s giving me. “Alright, I get it. I’ll apologize later.”

“Good.” She smacked her hands at her mitt. “Now give me some of your best throws.’

Grinning, I can’t help but think that this girl is really challenging me. “Be careful what you wish for.”

 

And another strike out has been called by the umpire as the pitcher struck another one in the box.

 

~*~

 

After the practice game between two schools, Twelfth Academy won against Fifth Academy with a score of 4-2. Despite the risky choice, they were still able to play it out just like how they use to play.

Yujin took off first and had a quick shower before lunch time starts. She was kinda excited today since she will be meeting someone.

As soon as she got out of the shower, she pulled out her uniform out of her bag.

It was a white uniform hovered with khaki vest laced with white stripes, checkered black, grey and white ribbon, skirt lengthening up to 1 inch above the knee, and a pair of white sneakers.

It took a lot of time just drying out her short brown hair, but as soon as she felt that it had already dried up, she quickly wore her uniform and just dumped her other things in her extra bag, started walking out of the room and went to the cafeteria.

Yujin already messaged Minjoo before morning trainings even started. She said that she will be waiting for the snobby girl at the cafeteria and they will just eat lunch together.

Maybe for others, it would only look like they’ll just meet because Yujin needs help but she can’t shake off the thought that this could be…A date.

Yujin felt embarrassed thinking that this could be a date in disguise. Her cheek starts to be tainted in light pink. Maybe she was kinda hoping there was more to it. But she didn’t want to assume so she just shook it off and starts to walk inside the spacious cafeteria.

There was still a bit of time before the bell rings for lunch time. The only one present inside the cafeteria were a bunch of sports inclined students and some upper higher year.

She took an empty table and placed her bag at the empty seat beside her. She pulled out her phone and informed the girl once more.

 

Y: I’m already here. I’ll just wait.

M: WHAT?! WAIT I’m still at class!!

 

‘Class? Isn’t she part of the tennis club?’

 

Y: TYT! I just want to tell you anyway~

M: Ughh..Sorry~ I’ll run there as fast as I can after class ends.

 

After that, Yujin placed her phone at the table and stood up from her seat to grab some food. She can’t wait anymore. She’s already hungry.

She got herself the usual food she always buys from the grandma whose selling food – an orange juice and two breads.

Once she got what she want, she went back walking to her table, only to see Hyunjin seating at the other side of her table, smiling while stuffing his mouth with cream puffs while waving at the girl.

 

Yujin’s face tightens at the sight of his face. “What are you doing here?”

“Ey don’t shoo me off!”  Hyunjin whined. “I’m just waiting for someone and I’ll leave after that.”

Tch. “Wait for him or her at another table.” Yujin’s really adamant at making the guy leave her table. And it seems like he took notice of it, gaining a smirk from him.

“Oho~? Are you also waiting for someone?” Yujin flinched. “Gotcha~”

 

Yujin was turning red in embarrassment. She avoided Hyunjin’s smirking look, cursing the guy for being sharp, and her for being an obvious idiot.

She already wants to drown from the embarrassment she’s experiencing right now.

 

“Tell me, who is it~?” it seems like Hyunjin won’t let it shake off.

And surprisingly, the girl Yujin has been waiting for finally arrived. Without the knowledge of the girl, she walks slowly towards Yujin, tapping her shoulder. “Yujin?”

 

Both of them got surprised at the sudden girl popping out of nowhere, catching both their attention. Minjoo, who’s the topic of their conversation, has finally arrived.

 

“Minjoo! You finished early?” Yujin shakingly asks the girl. The bell hasn’t ringed yet and she expected that she will not arrive before the bell rings.

Minjoo taken aback at the sudden raise of voice. “Y-yeah. Prof left early because he had to attend a seminar.” She stuttered a bit but Yujin didn’t notice it.

“I see..” Yujin said.

 

All of this is happening, right in front of the presence of the one and only Hwang Hyunjin. Just like a machine, he processed every bit of information that he’s getting in this situation, racking everything inside his head.

And he has finally reached to a single conclusion that he decided to keep himself for now.

 

Acting like he saw nothing, he suddenly stood up from his seat. “Oh? It seems like my friend is already here~” Hyunjin said mockingly. “I better leave now~” He flashed a smile and waved at the newly arrived Minjoo and hurriedly left the scene.

 

Leaving the two of them in that table,Yujin clicking her tongue didn’t go unnoticed by Minjoo. She found it cute that she has a friend like him who likes teasing each other.  

There was a bit of silence surrounding their table and Minjoo still haven’t move from her standing place while Yujin still haven’t spoken a single word after his buddy left her.

‘Is she gonna offer me to seat? Or should I make myself comfortable?’ Minjoo contemplates on what to do. Her legs are already hurting after running her way to the cafeteria.

Just in time, the bell rings and it was officially lunch time for everyone.

 

Finally, Yujin snaps out of it. “P-please take a sit.”

“Okay..” Minjoo gladly took a sit right in front of her.

 

Minjoo placed her bag at her side and pulled out some notes of hers while the other took out also her seatwork that the teacher assigned her. Just at the sight of it makes Yujin groan out in frustration.

 

“It’s okay Yujin-ah.” Minjoo suddenly said. “I’ll help you with this! I may not look like it but I can surely make you pass this subject!”

 

Her eyes were glittering with hope and gladness. Yujin felt a sense of relief after hearing Minjoo’s assurance. She showed her innocent smile towards Minjoo and thanked her.

That caught Minjoo off guard.

For a second there, she felt like she saw an angel in front of her. That smile really packs a punch to her heart. She stayed there for a while, gawking at the beauty of the girl in front of her, not noticing that Yujin has been calling out to her.

 

“Hey?” Yujin tried one more time calling the girl. And the last one succeeded, snapping the girl of off her senses.

“A-ah?”

“I was asking if you’re hungry.” Yujin asks.

“O-ohh. Yeah! I’ll buy some for my o-own!” Minjoo was about to stand up but Yujin stopped her from taking off of her seat.

“Food is on me.”

“But–!”

“It’s for helping me with my Math seatwork.” And she smiled yet again at Minjoo, making her heart skip a beat.

“O-okay..” And yet again, the girl stutters and went back to scanning her own notes.

She assumed that Yujin finally left to buy some food for her. But an unexpected palm lands on the forehead of Minjoo, making the girl jolt in her seat.

She wants to look at her but she could feel Yujin’s face inching towards her a little bit. The other thing that Minjoo notices is how big her hands and rough her hands are..

 

What the hell are you doing to her, Yujin? “W-what’s wrong?”

Yujin stayed silent for a while and later removed her hands at the latter. “You look pale. Are you okay?”

Minjoo violently shook her head. “I-I’m fine! You better buy some food right now or else you won’t get any food later!”

“Oh right!” After that, she hurriedly ran off and falls in line at the counter.

 

Now that she was sure that Yujin was finally gone, Minjoo lets her head hit the hard table, creating a loud bang, catching the attention of the other students bear their table.

She was so out of it that she can’t even keep a straight look at Yujin. And how can she act so calmly while doing those cheesy actions that you usually read in books or see in movies?? Or is she already used to doing it for others?? All these thoughts kept floating in Minjoo’s thoughts and its making her frustrated a little.

She had both her palms touching her soft cheeks and felt it getting hot. She can’t believe that she’s being like this in front of Yujin.

 

“Damn that girl…”

“I know right?”

“HOLY COW–!” Minjoo jumped out from her chair, hitting the edge of the table with her abdomen.

She had to curl herself into a ball and turned around only to see a familiar grinning bunny face looking directly at Minjoo. “What the hell are you doing here..!?”

“I got so intrigued on this girl you’re meeting and you wouldn’t let me see her!”

Minjoo gave her a cold glare.

“What?? You gave me no other choice!”

“You could’ve done it later, you know??”

 

She ignored Minjoo’s statement and eyed the tall girl who was now standing in line. Heejin was sure that she saw that girl somewhere before but she can’t figure out where she saw her.

 

While Minjoo and the newly arrived Heejin was still bickering all the time at the table, Yujin was now in line to buy some food for the girl.

Thinking back at her table, everything was sinking in just now to her head, remembering what she had done in front of the girl. She stared at her bare rough hands filled with calluses, caressing it softly, remembering how smooth her skin was.

She suddenly went beat red remembering how close her face was with the girl. Yujin shakes it off and instead reaches for her wallet, preparing to buy the food

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter