Honesty, the best Policy

Stay by My Side

Jeongyeon follows Nayeon to her room.

 

"Come on." She knocks on the door.

 

"WHAT?!" Nayeon exhales deeply, "I don't want to talk about it, I have enough to deal with." 

 

"Did you chicken out of going through with it?" 

 

She does not respond. 

 

"The food you left for me last night...thanks I enjoyed it." She says randomly and awkwardly. Jeongyeon is caught off guard at her sudden niceness. 

 

"Never mind that I said that." Nayeon says after Jeongyeon had frozen momentarily. 

 

"Oh -I mean it-it was nothing, glad you liked it." 

 

'What's happening for us at the company? Anything important?" She questions Jeongyeon. 

 

Jeongyeon shrugs her shoulders, honestly she never bothers to keep up with what is happening she simply just goes and does what she is told by the managers, when she feels like it. "Dance practice for the music video shoot." Jihyo inserts herself into the conversation as she is walking out of her room with some items for the rest of the day, en route to the company. 

 

Nayeon knew she should go or else she would be left behind with learning the choreography. "I'm not going." She says in a harsh tone. "Okay." She gets up and leaves, closing the door to Nayeon's room as she heads out with Jihyo.

 

Nayeon was alone, with nothing but the cellphone in her hand. She opens up messages and starts typing.

 

"I'm breaking up with you, it's not you it's me. Bye."  She sends via text message to Jinyoung. 

 

Only a few seconds later a reply comes through.

 

"Okay but can we talk? Closure would feel better." 

 

She rolls her eyes at his response. 

 

"Why? I literally said it's me not you." 

 

"Are you okay? I mean I still care about you." 

 

Nayeon groans as she clicks on Jinyoung's number and proceeds to call him. "Meet me at that stupid park we meet up at, I need to give you this ring anyway." 

 

She heads out to the park which is across the street from the dorm. While waiting, she paces around and looks at the ring on her finger. She holds the hand on her chest. 

 

Awhile later, Jinyoung meets her at their special tree. They take a seat on the grass under it. 

 

"Hey, we haven't really talked much since the whole Dispatch thing." He starts.

 

"I know that was the point."

 

He casts her a sweet look despite the ending of their relationship. "Is everything okay with you? I know you said it's you, and not me as the reason for this ending."

 

Even after being dumped Jinyoung still genuinely cared about her. 

 

"I'm just getting by, the company has me in therapy sessions for..god knows why."

 

He nods. 

 

"What's the status of our child?" Jinyoung nervously, rubs the back of his neck.

 

Nayeon thinks for a second almost forgetting the fact.  "Oh yeah about that, I'm not sure about anything, I haven't even been to a normal doctor..at all." She leaves out the fact that she had just come from almost abandoning the baby.

 

"Why?"

 

"I've been putting it off I don't know why , I'm just not ready to face reality." 

 

"Would you like me to take you?" 

 

"No-no it's okay but whenever I go I'll keep you up to date on everything." The two agree on those terms. "So I guess this is it for now?" Jinyoung says.

 

"Yep, I-aghh you know I'm bad at expressing myself verbally but please don't take this whole thing the wrong way, like I said I need to work on myself, it's not you." On that note the two shake hands and go their separate ways. Before leaving she places the engagement ring in his hands. 

 

Nayeon arrives back at the dorm and gets in her car to head to the company for the remainder of the day.  She drags herself to the practice room, with her feet and mind feeling heavy after nonstop drama for the past few days. 

 

"Nabongs!" Chaeyoung says excitedly as Nayeon enters the dance practice studio. The enthusiasm in Chaeyoung's voice surprised her because honestly since everything had been leaked, she did not have any idea about how the members may feel towards her. 

 

She stands in the doorframe with her bag on her shoulder and a coffee in hand. 

 

"You came just in time, we're just warming up."  Jihyo tells her. Nayeon places her things along the edge of the room. She tries to read the mood of the room but surprisingly none of the members seem to be letting her problems affect them. 

 

After three hours of rehearsal had passed, it was time for a break. Some of the members headed for the bathroom, some went to the café and Nayeon abruptly pulls Jeongyeon to the side. "Drive me." She holds up her car keys. 

 

"Nayeon." One of their managers calls her to attention. "Can I see you for a few minutes?" Nayeon goes reluctantly. They enter one of the office rooms. 

 

"Until the controversies surrounding you and the company fade out, we are upgrading our usual security personnel from being with you during schedules to now following you twenty four seven." The manager explains to her. 

 

Her initial reaction is to roll her eyes. 

 

"Why can't this company function normally? Just threaten to press changes or something then no one will think about doing anything." 

 

The deal was finalized already so her words will not change anything. The manager turns back around to her. "By the end of the day, you will need to come up with some sort of a statement for us to officially release addressing the situation."

 

"Why is everything being put on me? What are the consequences for Jinyoung?"

 

"He will be releasing one too."

 

Nayeon and the manager part ways.

 

"Okay let's go." Jeongyeon says once Nayeon returns to her. "Forget it, I have to come up with a statement for the company within the next few hours."

 

"What are you going to say?" Jeongyeon questions her as she leans her back against the wall.

 

Nayeon sighs, "I don't know-I literally don't know what to say-like do I just write "oh I screwed up don't idolize me anymore." " 

 

Jeongyeon boldly, takes Nayeon's hand in her own. "What are you doing?" She questions Jeongyeon. 

 

"I'll help you write it." They turn the corner and enter one of the private office rooms in the company. Jeongyeon logs into the laptop. "Talk to me, what would you like to convey to the public...the general public first?" 

 

Nayeon buries her face in her hands. "This is hard, no matter what I say it will get twisted anyway so what's the point?" 

 

"Don't worry this is just the general statement, it can be vague and straight to the point." Nayeon slides closer to Jeongyeon and starts typing. After awhile she freezes. "Wait I can't do this."

 

"Why? What's up?" Jeongyeon looks her in the eyes.

 

"I'm not in the right frame of mind, I just broke up with Jinyoung so now I have explain that and I'm not really 100% sure about this potential pregnancy thing, now I'm in therapy, it's a lot."

 

"You broke up?" Jeongyeon asks feeling a slight sense of internal excitement at the news. Nayeon nods with a sigh. "I need to see a doctor at some point, well actually that is where I wanted you to take me but now that I have a bodyguard following me it feels weird." 

 

Jeongyeon chuckles, "That's what you have me for, you know I'm a ruler breaker, hey why don't you finish up your statement and then I'll take you." 

 

Nayeon quickly comes up with a general statement that does not confirm or deny any of the allegations. She has plans to go on vlive later in the evening to address the fans directly. 

 

Jeongyeon parks the vehicle, she pats Nayeon's thigh. "Are you ready?" She flinches at the feel of Jeongyeon's hand. 

 

They enter the clinic. Jeongyeon takes a seat in the waiting area as Nayeon fills out some basic paperwork for the receptionist. After that, she takes a seat next to Jeongyeon. The two do not exchange any words but luckily, it wasn't too long until a nurse calls Nayeon to the office. 

 

"Hello, so what brings you two here today?" The doctor questions both of them. 

 

Jeongyeon turns red in the face. "Oh-what-no-no I'm just here for company-we're-not together, not like in that way, you know what let me just be quiet." She sits back in the chair and remains quiet for the rest of the visit. 

 

"Why are you asking me? It's written on your chart." Nayeon says with attitude to the doctor. Jeongyeon casts her a knowing look. She huffs, "A few weeks ago I took a store brought pregnancy test and it came back positive but I haven't been completely sure if it was right or not." 

 

The doctor proceeds to ask her a few follow up questions before performing a test on her. After a few minutes of waiting the doctor returns with her results. "Nayeon, you are indeed pregnant." The doctor continues to ramble off other information but most of it goes in one ear and out the other for her. 

 

She was devastated, a small part of her was holding out hoping for the whole thing to be negative. The doctor was not even finish talking to her but she takes the chart from him and walks out. 

 

"I'm sorry, I don't know why she's being like this, but thank you." Jeongyeon addresses the doctor before following in suit of Nayeon. 

 

Nayeon stands with her back leaning against the passenger side door. Jeongyeon gets inside the vehicle and starts the engine. She rolls the window down on the opposite side, "Hey you know nothing comes out of this with you ignoring me whenever I try to help you and walking out on people." Nayeon does not respond, instead she turns around and gets in. 

 

"Thank you." Nayeon says softly. 

 

"For what?"

 

"What you just said before, I needed someone to set me straight."

 

"It's the truth, I can't help you if you don't let me into your world." Jeongyeon drives along, heading back to the dorm.

 

"Before heading back...do you think we can stop somewhere to buy some food? I want to have a meal with the members tonight, it's been awhile." 

 

"Of course, plus I think the girls would enjoy that since things have been so hectic lately." They stop by a food market ahead of returning to the dorm. Nayeon had a taste for bibimbap, so they pick up some rolls that were already made along with other pre-prepared foods. 

 

"Where were you two the past few hours? The managers are pissed off." Jihyo greets them. 

 

"She asked me to take her to a clinic." 

 

"Well the company published her statement and it's not being received well." 

 

Jihyo gathers the members together and they all sit on the floor with their food. 

 

"I feel like I haven't communicated with all of you since everything has happened." Nayeon starts. "So I would like to say..I-I'm sorry for leaving everyone in the dark."

 

Each of the members reassure her with words of encouragement, "It's okay.'

 

"Are you okay?, first of all" Sana asks Nayeon.

 

"I'm not really sure, and since I'm trying to be more transparent with you guys then you should know that Jinyoung and I called it quits earlier today."

 

"I'm sorry to hear that." Momo says.

 

"Don't be, it was becoming toxic for my mentality." 

 

"Next I want to address the biggest elephant in the room, the baby." Nayeon declares as she immediately starts to choke up. "I first became suspicious while we were in Japan which is why I acted the way I did during all those show dates." She wipes at her eyes. "I took the cheap test and everything but I was still holding out thinking it was not real, but then as you all saw I got sick at practice and now today I saw a doctor and its actually..official." 

 

All except Jihyo and Jeongyeon were shocked, this was their first time hearing this information right from the source. "Congratulations!" Dahyun says excitedly as she does a goofy dance in attempt to brighten the mood. Her gesture did crack a little smile from Nayeon. 

 

"Will this affect your activities with us?" Chaeyoung questions. Nayeon almost bursts into tears. It was really hitting her at that moment that she is the oldest and should be setting a good example for the younger line of the group.

 

"I'm not sure yet, I guess it will be a learning experience for all of us." Nayeon responds. "As of right now everything will be normal, nothing has changed." 

 

After they wrap things up for the night, everyone heads to their rooms for the night. Jihyo suddenly approaches Nayeon in her room. "Can I talk with you?" She waves her arm telling her to come in.

 

 

"I didn't want to mention this in front of the others but are you feeling okay physically? You know any aches or pain or anything?" Jihyo asks sitting on the edge of the bed. 

 

"No, I just have a headache but I think that's from everything that went on today." She lays back on the bed. "While you're here I need to get something off my chest." 

 

"Hit me with your best shot." Jihyo turns around and lies next to her. 

 

"I didn't want to mention this in front of the other members but, i'm really freaking out on the inside." Nayeon confesses. "Like literally I'm so scared of how this will affect our career now and I'm scared about what is going to happen to my body and I'm in love with someone but I don't want to talk about that yet."

 

"Nayeon, look at me." She turns and looks Jihyo in the face. "You said it best yourself, this will be a learning experience, you can only take things day by day." Jihyo always knew what to say during stressful situations. "Like I said before only think about what is happening in this present moment, don't bother yourself too much with things that may or may not happen yet." 

 

Nayeon smirks at Jihyo. "So, with that said, will you be back to yourself and join us at the company in the morning?" 

 

"Yes I will."

 

"Great! That is what I wanted to hear, get some rest, goodnight." Jihyo says as they embrace each other.

 

The next morning the girls wake up to the aroma of croissant waffles being prepared by Momo and Sana. One by one, each member slowly but surely makes their way into the kitchen to grab a bite. Suddenly one of their many managers enters the dorm to set up some ground rules for arriving at the company on this day. 

 

The members assemble together in the living room to listen to the manager.

 

"Some protocols to be aware of, things will be a lot different today since the news dropped so, when exiting the vehicle, do not interact with or make direct eye contact with any of the media or fansites." The manager reprimands them. "Do not do anything that will give the media or fans a narrative to run with, stay on track and just enter the building as usual." 

 

Nayeon rolls her eyes and shakes her head in shame. 

 

"All of you need to be ready in the next 30 minutes, okay?"

 

They agree to those terms as the manager leaves them.

 

"I'm really sorry guys, this is all on me." Nayeon apologizes, feeling bad that the members have to watch what they do because of her.

 

"Don't worry we are here for you through the bad and the good." Chaeyoung reassures her.

 

Within the next few minutes, all the members are ready to head out. In the van, Nayeon sits sandwiched between Jeongyeon and Jihyo for moral support. 

 

"Are you okay?" Nayeon whispers to Jeongyeon as she takes her hand into hers and caresses it. 

 

"Me?" Jeongyeon asks being genuinely confused. 

 

"Yeah, you've been really quiet around me since you took me to the doctor." 

 

"I'm just tired that's all." Jeongyeon answers. 

 

Nayeon wasn't buying that response. Any other time Jeongyeon would be talkative and making jokes about her. 

 

Honestly, Jeongyeon was a little hurt now that all the members were aware of all of Nayeon's secrets. A small part of her kinda enjoyed it when it was just between her and Jihyo. Now that everyone knew everything she felt that Nayeon might lean on other members instead of her. 

 

They approach the JYP building. Nayeon can already see the medium sized crowd outside the surrounding area. 

 

She exhales loudly. "I wonder how long this protest will last?"

 

The van reaches the gate. While exiting the vehicle the members form a dome around Nayeon ensuring that no one would even get a glimpse of her. 

 

They step onto the elevator and head up for the day. Nayeon can't seem to take her attention off of Jeongyeon. She approaches her from behind as she was placing her belongings into the locker. 

 

"On the way up, a crazy plan came to my mind." Nayeon says to Jeongyeon suddenly. 

 

"And what would it be?" Jeongyeon turns around after closing the locker. 

 

"The media and fans are going to be crazy like this until something bigger and more intriguing comes up." Jeongyeon follows what she is saying. 

 

"What if we date each other and change the narrative, then everyone will forget about the real stuff and be fixated on you and me." 

 

——

I'm back! Sorry for such a long break between updates, I was uninspired for awhile there. Anyways, now we'll see the brighter side of Nayeon now that she has set everything straight. How will Jeongyeon react to Nayeon's sudden plan? 

 

Eyes Wide Open = ALBUM OF THE YEAR 

I Can't Stop Me = SOTY

This was my 5th comeback being a ONCE and I'm so in love with it! Personally this is like their best album, I'm loving this new sound and direction but it still feels like classic TWICE which is even better!