Explanations

Stay by My Side

Weeks after Jinyoung's proposal, TWICE was back to their tour, leaving Nayeon with little to no time to clear her mind from that moment. 

 

Before the start of soundchecks, the girls partake in various activities in order to warm-up such as running laps, stretching and weight lifting. "We're all here?" Jihyo asks as she looks around at the eight other members. "Let's get this started." They each move to their respective stage positions for the first song.

 

A voice speaks out. "Nayeon isn't here." Tzuyu says softly. 

 

They all look around in confusion. The missing member was there for the warmup routine. Where could she have gone? 

 

"I thought she was running laps with you?" Jihyo directs her question to Sana. 

 

"She was but I must've lost sight of her at some point." 

 

Jihyo is torn between wanting to show concern but also knowing that time is limited for their soundcheck. She looks at her watch and sighs at the time. "Let's get this done first, maybe she'll pop up but if not I'll deal with her whereabouts later." 

 

Once again, they return to their positions and get started for real this time. The instrumental for 'Stuck in My Head' blares through the arena. 

 

About 20 minutes have passed since the start of rehearsals and that was when Nayeon  finally came strolling in. Being the professionals that they are; They continue on as if the oldest member had been there the whole time. In the past few weeks, this was not the first time that the she had shown up at whatever time she felt like showing. Actually ever since Jinyoung's proposal, she has been spiraling out of control in a number of ways.

 

"I don't really want to hear your explanation this time for being late, but just consider all of these warnings because sooner or later, the managers are probably going to punish you for all of these lates." Jihyo calmly says to the oldest one. 

 

Nayeon walks away unmoved by Jihyo's words. 

 

She continues backstage to the waiting room. 

 

"I could really use a drink right now, damn." Nayeon says to herself as she flops onto the couch seeming frustrated. 

 

"I know I love to drink, but you..it seems like you're getting a little out of hand at this point over the past few weeks." Jeongyeon says to her. "Also why did you dip at sound check?" 

 

Nayeon sighs and holds onto her hair. "I wasn't feeling it, now leave me the alone." She says as she storms off to catering. 

 

"y much." Jeongyeon utters under her breath. 

 

 "Hey can I talk to you?" Jihyo asks of Nayeon as they fix their plates. 

 

"About what?" Nayeon says sounding more than annoyed. 

 

"Do you think you'll be able to perform tonight?...I've noticed over the past few weeks you seem a little off track." Jihyo says to her. 

 

"Off track?!? Me?" Nayeon says sounding genuinely offended. "I'm going through some stuff...it's fine." She clarifies. 

 

Jihyo fist bumps her. 

 

Later that evening, it was show time.  The show went on a usual except the members couldn't help but notice that Nayeon seemed to be preoccupied with her thoughts throughout the night. 

 

"I am so exhausted." Jeongyeon says as she flops her body into the bed in her hotel room which she shares with Nayeon.  

 

She rolls over and glances at the older girl, who was already under the covers in her respective bed. 

 

"Hey, are you not showering this time?" Jeongyeon questions her. She waits a minute but Nayeon does not respond. She sits up and goes over to Nayeon's bed and sits on the edge. "If you want to talk...about anything...I'm right here." Jeongyeon tells her hesitantly. She pats the cover as she gets up to take a shower before turning in for the night. 

 

Jeongyeon renters the room drying off her hair with a towel. Nayeon is curled up on the bed with a tear streaming down her cheek. She doesn't say anything to her. 

 

"I ruined the best thing that's ever happened to me." Nayeon says. 

 

"Oh you're ready to talk now?" Jeongyeon says as she discards the wet towel into the bathroom and joins Nayeon on the bed to sit right in front of her. "I'm a horrible person." She says through her weaps as she tries to straighten herself up to explain everything to Jeongyeon.

 

                            Earlier that day...

Nayeon's heart drops at the sound of the line connecting to Jinyoung. "Hi...I've been meaning to call you." Jinyoung starts. "How are you? I didn't want to bombard you after the whole proposal and I know you're touring so..yeah." He says sounding nervous as if they've never met before. 

 

She lets out a deep breath, trying to maintain her composure. "I've been well." She starts. "I don't know what to tell you...ahh...this just feels awkward ." She lets silence fall between them. "This relationship has been the best thing in my life but when you proposed to me...it wasn't too soon-I was just taken by surprise, and over the past few weeks it made me think about the future-my future..and I'm just not sure if my future involves a marriage but don't get me wrong ." She says. 

 

Jinyoung can tell that she is getting flustered. "Hey, it's okay I understand where you're coming from, I should've spoken with you before launching a proposal on you, I just assumed that we were on the same page since everything had been going so strong lately." He says to her. 

 

Nayeon smiles slightly. "So where does all of this leave us now?" She asks. 

 

A long silence settles between them."I'm cool, let's just pretend I never proposed to you and go back to how things were." Jinyoung tells her. 

 

"That's the problem." Nayeon says. "I want to brush this over and go back to normal but I just can't shake the awkwardness, I know you didn't say that my rejection hurt you but I still feel like I hurt you and I can't continue to commit to this relationship with that looming over us." 

 

Jinyoung exhales. "What do you want to do? I'll respect your choice no matter what." He tells her. 

 

That is what made her fall in love with Jinyoung, his composure and understanding in any situation. He is a keeper which is why her next statement crushed her more than him. 

 

"I don't know how to say this, I think-we should, maybe we should stop seeing each other for....awhile...I don't want this to be a breakup...I just need time to...understand myself and my career....I'm really sorry, I love you so much." She rambles off weirdly. 

 

Jinyoung doesn't say anything, as every possible thought races through Nayeon's mind. 

 

"I'll wait for you, it's okay." Jinyoung says. 

 

"I'm really sorry." Nayeon says this time sounding on the verge of tears. 

 

"Really it's okay." Jinyoung says this time sounding a little emotional which is a side he has never revealed to Nayeon. "Bye." He simply says as he ends the call with a sniffle. 

 

Nayeon throws herself back on the couch in the dressing room with tears rolling down her face. She looks at her phone, " I'm late for sound check."  

 

"That wasn't the tragic story I was expecting ." Jeongyeon says jokingly. "But it's okay to feel emotional, he was your first boyfriend and for so long, but thats is why I think you'll come around and land back in his arms." She says to her. "Honestly I got so adjusted to the two of you being together that I can't picture either one of you with somebody else."

 

"Thank you." Nayeon simply says to Jeongyeon. 

 

Jeongyeon leaves Nayeon’s bed and prepares to call it a night in her own bed. She pulls back the covers and settles in, “Im Nayeon, goodnight.” She cuts the lamp off. 

 

A few moments later, Nayeon breaks the silence. “Jeongyeon?” 

 

“What?” 

 

“Can I sleep with you?” 

 

She rephrases it quickly. 

 

——-

 

Hope everyone had a nice Christmas! Or a nice December 25th! Are you liking the story so far? Btw all of this is still 4 months before the opening section of the story.