Saltwater

Half and Half

"The last of them were killed just ten minutes ago."

Taehyung, still in his soiled hunting clothes, stands timidly behind the long table. He had just completed his fourth successful kill today, taking out about six hybrids at once. Hybrid Hunting was a very well paid job, almost $500,000 for every kill. Kim Taehyung was one of the most professional Hybrid Hunters in the whole world; when you needed a job done, he got it done. The island he lived on was once home to him, his six brothers, thirty maids, fifteen butlers, twenty cooks, twelve gardeners, thirty security guards, forty dogs, and 950 hybrids. 

Not including his little island, there used to be tens of thousands of them in South Korea alone. Those hybrids soon began to diminish, because of Kim Taehyung. Hybrid parents stopped mating and drowned their children for the fear of them being slaughtered by hunters. They went into hiding but Taehyung was smarter than that. One by one, or dozen by dozen, they were taken out close to extinction. Until today, when Taehyung had finally killed the last six. Hybrids didn't need to be here anyway.

No one knew where they came from, they just sort of...popped up. They began to populate grassy areas surrounded by trees with small villages, and they all lived with their own species. Wolves lived with wolves, dogs lived with dogs, mice lived with mice, you know. Eventually, they began to overpopulate their areas and tried to live in the cities and urban areas. Few people were okay with it until the hybrids began stealing their neighbor's things. Collecting them and building large, cylinder towers with them in their backyards. Stealing important things like jewelry, clothes, keys, wallets, baby toys, kids toys, and anything dear to the humans. 

The neighbors completely blocked them out from then on and even made petitions to get them kicked out of the city. Until people began taking it to the extreme, getting votes to have them killed when the stealing and tower-building got too far. Soon, the news saying mass killings of hybrids, young and old, happened every day and it began to become unsurprising. Planned, even. Hybrids slowly began to disappear, from homes, schools, movie theatres, and any other public place that still welcomed them. They just vanished out of existence, and no one seemed to care.

"Are you sure? You didn't forget any of them?" His boss, Seo Eunkwang, says while walking around the table.

"Not one. I'd make sure every one of those filthy creatures is dead and gone." He replies sternly.

He lied.

Taehyung didn't think any hybrid was so bad that they needed to be killed. They could've moved, but not be killed. He had never taught any of his mansion helpers and brothers that hybrids were in any way bad. Everyone in that home had a different mindset than the entire world, and that's how it was going to stay.

"Good. Then I can alert the president that there are no more left now. Thank you, Mr. Kim. You may go home now."

Eunkwang waves Taehyung off, who then bows and walks out of the room. He's escorted by security guards to his lavish, expensive ship sitting at the docks and boards the vessel. After a few minutes of leaning on the front railings of the boat, he hears a loud horn go off, then the docks begin to get farther and farther away from him. 

As the illuminated city begins to fade on the horizon, Taehyung takes in the city lights as he doesn't know when he'll see them again. Sure, he goes there occasionally for meetings and banquets since he's an entrepreneur, but he mostly sits on his small island with his brothers all the time. It was never too lonely on the island, just a little quiet most of the time.

The salty air brushed along his face and filled his nostrils with the calming aroma. Most people weren't too fond of constantly smelling saltwater, but Taehyung was used to it. He had spent his entire life on that Island with his brothers, and when his father died, he had intended to keep the mansion he had grown up in.

A day later, his boat slowly sails in next to the only dock on the entire island. He exits the boat and takes in the night air once again since it's been twenty-four hours. He walks back to his mansion, barely keeping himself awake and even tripping a few times. Walking past the two fountains that sat on both sides of the wide, stone walkway, he stops to watch the changing light in the center of it. 

He watches it go from pink to red, to orange, and so forth all the way to blue, then back again. The hedge sitting on the perimeter of the walkway was covered in midnight dew, and the inviting smell relaxed his tired muscles, causing him to wake up a bit. A few lights in the house were still on, meaning that a few of his brothers were still awake.

The maid at the door opens it for him and lets him while he requests a hot tea be brought to his room. Walking inside, he ignores the huge mess of toilet paper thrown everywhere and the pillow forts made in the living room to the left.

'They found my hidey spot.' He chuckles to himself, shaking his head. He staggers up the three flights of stairs, straight into his room. Taehyung walks to the bathroom in his room while stripping down and out of his clothing.

He takes a very hot but not scolding hot shower and lets his scalp take in the immense amount from heat. His senses almost go into shock at the sudden change of temperature, compared to the air against the ocean.

After a thirty minute shower, he dries his hair and slips on boxers and a robe when he sees the tea he asked for. He carefully picks up the hot mug and wraps himself in his robe, tying the strings into a knot. He walks out onto the balcony that connected to his bedroom and closed the screen to prevent it from getting cold in his room. Taehyung leans on the railing of the balcony and stares at the moon almost directly above him, shining brighter than the lights lighting up the tops of his maze walls. Or the night lights along the hedges leading up to his doorway.

He takes this time to think. Think about whether or not he really had to kill all those hybrids. Think about if they really deserved it or not. He thinks that if he had the chance, he nurse one of his very own. He'd take care of it, and keep it safe from the outside world.

"No one on this island, nor in this world would ever hurt you. You'd stay here with me and those six dorks that I put up with all the time. You'd have your own room, your own clothes. Now that I think about it, the maids would probably be at your feet 24/7 to make you happy."

His conversation with himself is interrupted when he hears a violent shaking in one of the bushes under his balcony. He doesn't acknowledge it and figures it may be a wild animal or something. His father may have hated hybrids, but he didn't lay a single finger on any of the animals that were here before his mansion.

After the shaking only gets even more violent, he decides to call a few of his butlers and maids to check what it is and take care of it. After they scurry away with gloves and a hunting net, Taehyung slips out of his robe and lets his eyelids lower to the shaking of the bush, even while the doors and windows are closed. The shaking stops immediately after a while, and hears voices yelling at each other a short time after the sound goes away. The voices only get more hostile soon after, s Taehyung finds peace again when he stuffs his head under his pillow.

"It'll be gone by morning..."