New Start

The Study of Life
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Joohyun chuckled at the notion that he was ever truly into her. Although she was always infatuated with women, she still couldn’t help but become flustered in the presence of a good man such as Seokjin. It was only when her heart skipped a beat for him before that she realized she even had an interest in men.

“Stop playing around,” she looked away and blushed.

He laughed with her, “I’m not though…”

“Are you serious? But you said that you were just joking before.”

“I only said that so you would stop being so mean to me.”

“Well,” she hesitated, “I guess it worked…”

“Of course, it did,” he drank another shot, “but it’s fine… I’m used to rejections.”

“Yeah right.”

“I am… totally immune.”

“Immunity to rejection is fake,” she drank another shot, “it’s a myth.”

“What do you mean?”

“No matter how much you think you’re immune to rejection or pain,” she smirked at him, “you’re always going to feel hurt when someone pushes you away… you’re just pretending to be okay.”

He looked down at his cup and whispered to himself, “can’t deny that…”

“What was that?”

“Oh, nothing,” he smiled at her, “did you need a shoulder?”

“For what?”

“To lean on…”

“Yeah, I don’t think so,” she chuckled, “I’m fine.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yeah, I’m sure… I’ve always known nothing was going to happen,” she had a sad smile, “but I think today, I was just smacked in the head with the reality that the person I like will never like me back.”

“You sound like you’ve been living in a dream.”

“Maybe I have been living in a dream.”

He chuckled with a confused tone, “Sunbae, why did you call me today?”

“I don’t know,” she thought for a second, “I just don’t think anyone else would understand.”

“Understand what?”

“Rejection…”

“Oh, I see,” he poured soju into her glass, “that does actually make sense.”

“Also,” she finally chuckled at his obvious expression, “you’re a good guy.”

“A good guy,” he laughed out loud, “that is the funniest thing I’ve ever heard.”

“Why is that so funny?”

“Because I’m not a good guy.”

“Yes, you are.”

“No, I’m not,” he refused to agree with her, “because good guys don’t exist… I’m just a normal, average guy who was lucky enough to be born as a good-looking man.”

“Kind of weird how you’re putting yourself down like that… it’s out of character.”

“It’s true… good-looking people naturally are viewed as good people; it’s unfair, but true.”

“I have to disagree,” she crossed her arms in defiance, “good people exist… they may be lost occasionally, but they can’t help their innate nature… they always go back to being good, and it’s not based on looks, but on action.”

“That’s interesting,” he watched her with a serious expression, “and what did I do to make you think I’m so good.”

“You pulled me in, pushed me away and then pulled me in again, but when the time came, you accepted reality as it was and became an honest man. The people who are bad are those who can’t accept reality… the sooner you accept reality, the sooner you can be honest to your true self, which makes you good.”

“I’m still not understanding,” he chuckled.

“Good people are only good because they’ve experienced the bad and have grown from it. You’re no good if you don’t even know what bad is.”

“So, you’re saying that I’m good because I’m bad?”

“Yeah… basically.”

He laughed, “what does that make you then?”

“Maybe I’m bad?”

He choked on his drink and looked at her in disbelief, “oh, I don’t think you’re so bad.”

She chuckled, “you just don’t know enough about me yet…”

“Yet,” he was intrigued, “I like that… we can always get to know each other now.”

“Not now,” she looked at her hands, “it’s not the right time.”

“Why is that?”

“Because I have some things to figure out,” she smiled, “and I’m not really into men right now.”

“Well, no one is ever interested at first.”

“No, I mean, I’m not interested in men right now,” she gave him an obvious gesture.

“Wait, are you saying you’re lesbian?”

“I prefer bi-curious,” she smirked.

He raised his eyebrows and sat up straight, “that’s interesting…”

“Not what you expected?”

“I kind of saw it coming,” he poured her another cup, “when did you know?”

“When I met you.”

“Wait,” he froze, “you realized you didn’t like men when you met me?”

“Actually, it’s the opposite… I realized I like men too because of you.”

“So, you actually liked women first,” he rubbed his chin, “that’s very interesting.”

“Yeah,” she drank her shot, “I’ve always been attracted to women… my first girlfriend was in high school, you know.”

“Are you playing with me right now?”

“No,” she said with a serious tone, “I’m not.”

“Okay,” he accepted her response right away, “what was she like?”

“Exciting, spontaneous… a wild card.”

“I didn’t think you’d be into those types.”

“Well, I was very young then and my preferences have actuall

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter