Reunions Stink

The Study of Life
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“This is awkward,” Jungkook muttered sidelong to Yerim.

She squirmed in her seat and tightly smiled in response, “well then, why are we still here?”

“It’s not like I had a choice,” he responded with a hiss, “he suggested it. I can’t just leave him.”

She winced and then faced the two opposing personalities across from them. Seokjin was sitting calmly with one hand on a glass cup, barely set on the table. Joohyun was just as calm with both her hands twisting together on her lap.

Though she looked to be calm and collected, her heart was racing a storm inside her chest. She could feel it hitting her chest at a shocking speed that almost hurt, but she continued her calm façade. Four years had gone by since the last time they saw one another, just before she broke his heart and her own.

Take a breath. She drew a deep breath and then took a subtle peek at Seokjin and instantly regretted her decision when their eyes locked onto one another. His brown doe eyes nearly sparkled with delight, with an equal mixture of amusement and longing. How could he look the same after such a long time? And how could she react to him as if nothing had changed, even though everything was different now?

“How’s your mother?” He finally asked amiably.

Still dreadful. “She’s the same.”

He nodded with a tight smile, “you seem to be doing well… I read about you and the company in the news.”

“Oh,” her eyes fluttered cautiously to the floor, “it’s one of my proudest moment.”

His brows shot up, “what is?”

For the first time, she smiled as she uncharacteristically felt the sudden urge to brag about herself, “the moment I opened my own publishing company.”

Slightly shocked and immensely satisfied about her progress, he grinned, “you actually opened a publishing company?”

“Yes,” she sent him an unabashed smile, “it’s small, only three full-time employees right now, but it’s mine.”

“Wow,” he was breathless, “I… I-I’m so proud of you… I am.”

She felt her breath release as relief rushed over her, “thank you.”

He opened his mouth to something but decided against it and instead poured soju into everyone’s cups. Yerim shyly smiled and fully accepted his action while Jungkook was more cautious, fearing for his best friend’s heart. Joohyun kept her eyes trained on his face as he finished pouring soju into her cup to the brim.

“I remember you weren’t very fond of drinking, but will you tonight?” He lifted his cup toward her, “to celebrate your success over the last four years.”

She went taut at the reminder of how long it’s been since they last spoke. Although she agreed and subsequently lifted her cup to gesture the acceptance of a drink, she still couldn’t help noticing the sadness that was present in the bags under his eyes.

“Yes,” Jungkook played along with a bright smile, “let’s celebrate! It’s been such a long time since the four of us last drank together.”

“Yeah, that’s right,” Yerim smiled casually, “the last time, I couldn’t hold my alcohol at all.”

Jungkook narrowed his eyes teasingly and glanced at her, “you still can’t.”

“Tsk. I can so hold my alcohol now,” she gently slapped his shoulder which caused the group to chuckle companionably.

After a few more rounds of drinking, which proved Jungkook’s words true, everyone left the street vendor in much higher spirits than when they first arrived. While Jungkook helped a very drunk Yerim to the side of the street to catch a cab, Seokjin strolled casually next to Joohyun, providing helpful advice to his friends.

“Jungkook-ah,” Seokjin came forward to help with the door as the cab stopped in front of them, “make sure she gets a lot of water. Also, make her some honeyed tea for the morning to help with the hangover. I’ll send over some hangover soup in the morning, so just keep her on her side as much as possible tonight.”

“Yes, Hyung, I’ll do that,” Jungkook smiled and entered the car.

“Will you be alright?” Seokjin asked one last time before Jungkook shut the door.

Jungkook sent him a reassuring smile, “of course, I will. Will you?”

Seokjin followed his gaze toward Joohyun who was slightly swaying back and forth with her eyes slightly glazed over. Though she considered herself on the stronger side when it came to drinking, her smaller frame always put her in the disadvantage.

“Joohyun-sunbae,” Jungkook shouted to her with amusement, “are you alright?”

“Hm?” She widened her eyes and then smiled like a fool at the young man, “of course… just take care of Yerim-ie, or I’ll come for you.”

Jungkook chuckled and then shut the door right after whispering to Seokjin, “thanks in advance… Yerim and I will treat you next time.”

Seokjin smiled, “don’t even worry about it… text me when you both get home safely.”

“Alright, bye.”

As he turned around, his breath took a hitch at the sight of Joohyun. She smiled sweetly after the car before her eyes flew back to Seokjin’s face. I wonder what you’ve been up to these last four years.

“Hmm, that’s a tough question.”

She gasped as she realized that she had spoken her question out loud.

Noticing the slight spring in her obvious discomfiture, he smirked and allowed a sparkle to emerge in the depth of his dark eyes.

He tilted his head downward to hide his amusement, “shall I call a cab for you?”

“No,” she answered abruptly, “I don’t live far… I’ll take the bus.”

“Let me walk you to the bus stop then.”

She drew in a shaky breath, “alright…”

They strolled for several minutes before the silence was finally broken by Joohyun’s curiosity.

“You didn’t actually answer me.”

He smiled at the ground, “I didn’t know you were actually serious about your question.”

“I’ve already asked,” she replied with a sardonic smile, “you might as well answer.”

He chuckled, “I’ll be a resident this coming winter…”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter