Freedom

The Study of Life
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Several nights passed since the time Joohyun cried her eyes out to Seokjin over the phone. She was still surprised that she showed him such vulnerability. It was unlike her and was unexpected on so many levels. She was supposed to be strong. She was supposed to be the symbol of radical feminism, but in such little time, she’d fallen victim to her own emotions… or maybe she willingly surrendered, she wasn’t sure yet.

At the same time, there was an odd sensation that was both unfamiliar and liberating to her. It was coursing through her veins and muscles, reaching all corners of her being like an infection. Somehow, it made her realize just how valuable relationships were.

She found herself questioning just how important Seokjin had become, and she often thought about whether her new revelations were enough to push her to do what she always wanted. She wanted to rid herself of the burden, which had been threatening her sanity since she came of age, to rid herself of the responsibilities that should never have been hers to begin with. She never wanted the inheritance and never wanted to be a part of a world that only saw her as a bastard, the child of a mistress who wasn’t even acknowledged as such.

She only followed her mother and grandfather with the thoughts of being found and belonging somewhere, but when she became of age at twenty years old and wanted to become a writer, her mother finally informed her of her plans. That was the day she realized how unloved she was and how her only recognized value was the fact that she could help someone gain riches. She would have to sacrifice all that she loved to handle the money and business of which she cared nothing for, but now it was time to push back. Now that she was graduating college and was preparing to finally leave the nest, it was time to leave everything behind.

Late one night, she prepared herself to make the ultimate announcement at dinner.

“Grandfather,” she slowly set down her utensils and squared her shoulders to the old man by her side.

“Yes,” he sent her a doting smile, “what is it dear?”

“I-I,” she paused at the sight of his loving expression. She felt a sudden pang of guilt, but steered on, “I have something to tell you…”

“Yes?”

She took a deep breath, unaware of the warning gaze her mother was shooting her from across the table, “I will be moving out next week.”

“Moving out?” He thought for a second and then nodded, “okay… did you find a place already? Should I have secretary Yang find you a condo downtown? Or would you prefer a suite at the hotel?”

“No,” she shook her head, “I’m leaving… I’m leaving the-”

“Bae Joohyun,” her mother hissed.

“-family,” she continued. “I want you to list Jong-ho as the heir on your will and remove me.”

“How dare you,” her mother snarled at her, then followed with several curse words.

Unfazed by her mother’s heated words, she kept her eyes on her grandfather’s. His eyes were unwavering and direct, but his gaze was as it always was, in power.

“Shut up,” he finally muttered to her mother after a few more seconds of heated scolding. He then turned to Joohyun, “sweetheart… let me get this straight. You don’t want to be my heir?”

She nodded, “nor do I want your inheritance.”

“Bae Joohyun!”

“Shut it,” her grandfather muttered again. He took a deep breath, “and why do you think I should make Jong-ho the heir?”

“Well,” she spoke confidently, “I’m first and foremost a writer… I have no care for business or the management of a company. Jong-ho was in business admin and he cares about money…”

“He’s greedy,” her grandfather added.

“Yes, but that’s one of the qualities of a successfully businessman, is it not,” she kept a levelled tone. “I have no greed for money or need of it… I just want a simple life to do what I want and to be happy.”

“Are you not happy with us? With me?”

She tilted her head slightly and for the first time that night, she felt a certain yearning for her grandfather’s love. No. Who was she kidding? He did love her, and she knew it. Since the day he had laid eyes on her and saw the resemblance of his son, he had loved her with everything. That was also the day he had chosen her as his heir, whether she was worthy of it or not.

His eyes were pleading with her now and showed a hint of sadness and disappointment as he sighed, “alright then… if that’s what you want.”

She felt a sudden rise of relief grow within her but felt guilt at the same time. He’d been like a dream to her, the perfect grandfather, yet all she could think about was her freedom. It was selfish of her, but isn’t that what life was? She should be able to make her own choices and be what she wanted to be rather than what was expected of her. How cliché, she thought, but how necessary.

“Thank you, grandfather,” she smiled contently as her mother deflated in her chair across the table, “I’ll never forget your love.”

He smiled gently at her and held out a hand to her, “you’re always welcome here, sweetheart. You know that, don’t you?”

“Yes, I do,” she teared up and grabbed his hand, placing a kiss on his knuckles, “I know… and I love you.”

Having been given the silent approval from her grandfather, she stood and rushed to leave the house. It was raining tonight, but she didn’t care. She was freed. Her grandfather freed her and her whole life was now clear in front of her. She needed to celebrate, and she needed to see him.

An hour later, she found herself standing in front of Seokjin’s dormitory. She wasn’t shy or embarrassed but did have a kind of fluttering building up inside of her that wasn’t very much like the kind you get when your nervous. It was more than that. It was anticipation and excitement. Fear and shameless arousal. She wanted to kiss him so badly that when he opened the door, she was throwing herself into his arms.

“Woah,” he shouted just before their lips met.

Without restraint, she devoured his plump lips with hers as her hands held onto his broad shoulders. For a good second, he did nothing but stand there in shock as she kissed him, then as if propelled to respond, he firmly wrapped his arms around her slim waist and pressed her tightly against his, lightly lifting her off the ground. She moaned softly at the touch of their bodies, ready for more contact, more hardness and softness altogether. Passion wrapped itself deep inside his body, but sense returned just in time to warn him.

“W-wait,” he pulled away and held a hand against her flushed cheek, “hold on a minute… what’s going on?”

She boldly sighed in defiance, “nothing… I just want you… please.”

He chuckled and beamed at her, “can we talk first?”

“No.”

His eyes widened at her prompt answer and then he laughed, “I don’t live here alone, you know.”

As if completely sobered by his refresher, she turned and saw Jungkook laying on his bed, his head propped up by an elbow. He had a scowl on his face as he nonchalantly asked, “do you mind?”

Her face burned up and embarrassment finally caught up with her. She harshly pulled away from Seokjin’s arms and quickly backed away towards the door. Seokjin ruthlessly laughed his head off as she turned and dug her face deep into the corner of the foyer.

“Just wait a minute,” he chuckled and wheezed, then moved to get dressed. Once he had his jacket on, he walked over to her and grabbed her hand, “come on.”

She was so embarrassed and ashamed of her actions that she had to keep her head down and barely even heard Jungkook’s laugh and words that followed them, which she made out to be, “congratulations!”

Even after minutes of leaving his dorm, Seokjin continued to laugh and chuckle at the image of her shrinking into the corner.

She groaned and glared at him, “will you stop it already?!”

“No,” he sighed, “never… I’ll never stop it.”

The rain had ended, and when they reached the top of the stairs outside of the building, he finally turned and pulled her into his arms. She was still pouting but was now fighting the urges to grin at his handsome face. Standing almost a foot taller than her, Seokjin peered down at her with the most tender expression. She suddenly became nervous for some reason but didn’t know why exactly till she noticed how much her neck ached just to look up at his face.

She looked around and then turned, “come here.”

“Hm?” He followed her diligently as she made him stand a step lower than her on the stairs.

“There,” she reached her arms around his shoulders, which were now the same level as hers, “now my neck won’t hurt as much.”

He smiled brightly at her and wrapped his arms around her waist again, “now I can appreciate your beautiful eyes to the fullest.”

She blushed at his smug and obviously flirtatious compliment, “you’re such a flirt.”

“You enjoy it,” he narrowed his eyes and leaned forward to kiss her.

With a soft teasing groan, she slowly leaned back away from his lips. He lifted a brow at her and bit his lip but continued to stalk her till her back was arched like a bowstring. Her lips widened into a smile as his eyes filled with a hungry desire in reaction to her playful teasing. He let out a low growl that said a hundred words then slowly reached up and sifted his slim fingers into the hairs at her nape to hold her still. She gasped at the touch and slight tug of her hair before he triumphantly chuckled and finally kissed her.

His plump lips were still warm and soft to the touch, like every nerve was doing the same thing as their bodies were, rubbing and touching with the most delicate care. She smiled at the fulfillment she felt before a new sensual tingling arose in her when she felt his shaft pressed against her. He chuckled again when she went rigid in his arms. To assuage the newfound tension in her frame, he ran a hand up and down her back and began caressing every muscle.

When she finally relaxed against him, he pulled away and smiled at her, “we should stop, or I’ll scare you again.”

She took a second to hear him and then scoffed, “I’m not scared of you.”

“Really?” He raised his brows at her, “you sure?” He tightened his hand on her lower back and pressed her to him again, then laughed when she took a sharp breath.

“Tsk, don’t play with me,” she lightly smacked his shoulder and then giggled.

“So,” he pulled away and held her hands in his, “what is the occasion? Did something good happen?”

She contently sighed, “I guess you can say that.”

He waited for her to elaborate, “so?”

She giggled, “I’m free…”

“Free? What do you mean?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter