the beginning

The Study of Life
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Students stumbled around and darted from left to right as the start of fall semester had commenced. The leaves on the tree were beginning to brown on campus as students were already starting to worry about mid-terms and job hunting.

Three young men made their way down the street, all horse-playing and laughing at a joke that was inaudible to the people who walked by. To everyone at the entrance of the university, these young men were celebrities; too good looking to approach, but too friendly to ignore. They were fawned over like gods, but simply ignored the unwanted attention.

As they reached the gate, the young man with long hair raised his hand and shouted across the street, “Jin hyung!”

Jin lifted his head from his book and smiled back, “oh, Taehyung-ah.”

He waved to the group as they all ran over and attached themselves to him like children.

“Hyung, what are you reading,” the shorter member asked him.

“Oh, Jimin-ie,” he raised a hand to Jimin’s head, “you got taller.”

“Yah, don’t joke about that… I’ve been tall.”

“He’s right though,” Jungkook, arguably the most handsome one out of the bunch, went along with the joke, “I could’ve sworn you were shorter yesterday.”

“You want to die,” Jimin Karate chopped Jungkook’s neck, “I’ll send you back to Busan!”

“I’d like to see you try.”

Seokjin laughed at them as they made their way into campus.

“Yah,” Jungkook hooked an arm around Jin’s neck, “I heard you found a part-time job on campus.”

“Yeah…”

“Doing what?”

“Oh,” he stuffed his book into his backpack, “I’m going to be a teaching assistant.”

“For which professor?”

“Uh… what was her name?”

“You don’t remember her name?”

“I do… it’s Dr. Kang Sora, from the Women’s Studies department.”

“Women’s Studies?”

“Yeah.”

“Why that department,” Taehyung asked him with a confused expression, “why not the Psychology Department? Or Education?”

“I looked, but all of the professors already had assistants, and considering it’s my third year, I need to start adding stuff to my resume, you know?”

“Yeah, but why as a teaching assistant,” Jimin asked suddenly, “do you even get paid?”

“No, but I already have a part-time job for that. I just need the experience on my resume if I want to be a teacher.”

“Oh, I see. That makes sense.”

“Also, I’m double majoring with Family Psychology, so it just made sense to work in the Women’s Studies department. I think it’ll pan out.”

“Hyung,” Taehyung jumped back into the conversation, “you better be careful there.”

“Why?”

“I heard that there’s a hot office assistant there.”

“Why should I be careful about that? Isn’t that a good thing?”

“Okay, first; you’re the softest person I know… and second; I heard that she’s kind of scary. Single all her life and for a reason.”

He scoffed, “don’t worry, everyone loves me.”

“Yeah,” Jungkook agreed and then looked up into the sky, “don’t you think fall is a little early this year?”

“Is it,” Jin looked up and froze as the others kept walking, “time moves so fast.”

“Hyung,” Taehyung shouted back to him, “hurry up!”

 

Across the campus, a group of women were gathering in the main conference room of the Women’s Studies department building to meet the newcomers for the Feminist Theory Journal; the first of its kind, created two years ago to showcase the powerful women of this era. The President of the club was none other than Kang Seulgi, a drama student. Her Vice President was Bae Joohyun, a fifth year East Asian Feminism and Korean Literature double major.

Seulgi sat casually in her seat at the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter