Chapter 5 ❄ Stop. Go Away

Forgotten Goodbyes

 

Sana turned to Chaeyoung with knitted eyebrows “What do you mean about being the second choice?” 

 

Chaeyoung bites her lip clenching her fist tighter “O-oh, it’s nothing I- I have to go” Without another word Chaeyoung dashed out of the shed and into the rain not once looking back. Sana broke free of Jeongyeon’s grasp as she chased after Chaeyoung calling of her name multiple times. 

 

Chaeyoung hangs her head low as she increases her speed, running as fast as she can. The sky rumbled sending another ear breaking boom, the sky crackled with the gregarious boom. Sana covered her ears, dropping onto her knees, trembling from the sound, Chaeyoung halted as she turned her body towards the girl. She bawled her fist as she debated helping Sana or not. As she attempted to take a step forward, her eyes met with Jeongyeons who came running towards the curled up girl on the floor. Chaeyoung shook her head of all thoughts, turning around running away from the two. Sana called out her name once more but Chaeyoung didn’t stop. She fixed her gaze at her feet as she ran as fast as she could. 

 

I wanted to help you, be there for you, I want to be your first choice but I know I never will be. No matter what I say or do I’ll always be second’ 

 

"Chaeyoung! Chaeyoung!" Sana called out under the heavy rain, yet the latter ignored her call and continued to run

"Chaeyoung! Wait! What's wrong with—" the sound of the thunder interrupted her as she instinctively dropped to her knees. Chaeyoung noticed this and looked back— she halted and wanted to take a step back to protect her once again- but just before she could take another step, she saw Jeongyeon behind Sana, running back to her. She clenched her jaw and gave out another sigh as she continued to run away from the latter. 

 

'I can't' 

 

Sana noticed this across her, she noticed Chaeyoung's drop of tear just before she ran.

"Chaeyoung.." she mumbled

 

"Sana!" a familiar voice she knows too well called out to her as she found Jeongyeon running back to her.

"Jeongyeon..." she mumbled and a tear dropped as she continued to muffle her ears from fright

 

"Sana, you okay? here." Jeongyeon pulled Sana towards her and wrapped her around her jacket to shade her from the rain. "It's okay, I'm here" Jeongyeon then pulled Sana's head closer to her as she helped her muffle the sound of the thunder.

 

"It's okay, Sana. I am here. It'll be okay"

"Jeongyeon, what about... Ch-Chaeyoung.."

"We'll talk to her tomorrow, for now, let's get you home."

"I am sorry Jeongyeon" Sana stuttered and trembled 

"shhh, let's get you home" Sana's knees weakened due to the roar of thunder. Jeongyeon gently bent down in front of her— signaling her to climb on top of her "it's okay, I got you."

"Thank you, Jeongyeon" she shivered as she gently wrapped her arms around Jeongyeon and walked home.

 

🌨️

 

Chaeyoung is found to be standing in the corner of a building as she watched Jeongyeon carrying Sana on the way home. She clicked her tongue and bit her bottom lip as she dropped to her knees and placed her head in her hands and slowly grasped this in frustration. She burst out in tears and took deep breaths as she felt her heart dropped the moment she witnessed them.

 

"I gotta stop.. I have to stop.. Why am I still like this.." she mumbled "Why..." The thunder roared once again "Please. Stop.. please.."

 

I don’t know how I can stop thinking about you. You are the person that I will always look for in a crowded place. No matter where you are, no matter what I am thinking it always leads back to you. It seems that you have taken a permanent residence in the place that used to be my heart, now it’s just a beat of thoughts about you. I’m scared of losing you but then again your not even mine.

 

🌨️

 

Jeongyeon smiled and leaned as she slid her arms underneath Sana's body— carrying her bridal style

 

"here, please rest." Jeongyeon laid her down carefully and took the bucket of hot water with the towel and placed it on her forehead "If you're sick tomorrow. Don't go to school"

"b-but—"

"No buts.."

"O-okay.." Jeongyeon chuckled and smiled 

"I'll try to visit you again tomorrow. Okay?"

"J-Jeongyeon?" Sana grabbed Jeongyeon's wrist as she stares into her 

" yeah?"

"Thank you."

 

Jeongyeon smiled as she stared at Sana with passion in her eyes, a moment she knows she won’t have again. A moment where she can be honest enough to her. Jeongyeon sighed with relief as she saw Sana's bright red face and leaned closer.

"Anything.. for you" she closed her eyes and gently gave a peck onto her heated forehead

 

"Jeongyeon?!"

"I kept a spell—" she grinned "So that you can feel all better tomorrow and tonight." she laughed

"Oh Jeongyeon— I am not a kid" she laughed

"You'll always be a kid to me, Sana"

"Y-You can stop taking care of me"

"I am sure.." she stood up and chuckled "—that is not possible Sana-ssi"

"Sa-?" Just before Sana was able to utter a word, Jeongyeon had left the room. She sighed and began to stare into the ceiling— with her brows knitted.

 

'Sachi?.. did I hear that right? or I must be delusional' She sighed and shuts her eyes.






 

🌨️

 

Jeongyeon sighed as she shuts the door behind her and lifts her head up.

'stupid.' 

 

"Are you okay?" a soft voice suddenly caught her attention as she slightly jolted from her position

 

“ah Mina.” she smiled

“You care for her that much… don’t you?”

“of course, she’s my best friend.” she laughed and walked down the stairs to meet Mina.

“Is that all?”

“Yeah. What else can it be?” she awkwardly laughed as she took a glance over the kitchen bar

“I believe you..”

“Nothing else... but a friend— Say, do you girls have some ramen?”

“uh. yeah, wanna have some?”

“yeah, it was pouring outside— do you mind me staying for a while and dry up?”

“Not at all.” she smiled and Jeongyeon began to hover towards the kitchen bar and heat some ramen packets. “With eggs or without?”

“With please” she smiled.

 

After a few moments of cooking Jeongyeon and Mina spent the night on the kitchen counter talking about random things to fill the night's worth.

 

“Yeah! Chaeyoung was really that kind of kid who does those kinds of things,” Jeongyeon laughed

“I see,” She laughed with her “It must be fun to be childhood friends with you guys huh?” she sighed

"Don't you have a childhood friend, Mina?"

"I do. Momo— but we met like middle school.. not like you three." she laughed

"Well, our friendship is tragic..— but I am really glad that Chaeyoung is back." The smile from Jeongyeon's face disappeared, Mina hummed in question as she watched Jeongyeon’s changed expression. "It's nothing. I just.. I’m just happy that she's back you know."

"You must have really missed her."

"A lot more than you know." Mina chuckled to her response

 

"Never knew, you could be this vulnerable?"

"Am I?"

"Yeah, I never saw this side of yours." she snorted  "—not gonna lie, but I like it"

"Which?"

"This side of yours.." she smiled "It looks vulnerable, you know— how that bright and active Jeongyeon.. can also be this.. vulnerable"

"ha.. yeah— sorry" she awkwardly chuckled

"Don't worry. I like it" she smiled

 

"Thanks, Mina" she grinned and patted the latter "anyway, I have to go— thanks for the ramen"

"Thank you for giving me the chance to spend time with you too" she laughed

"Absolutely, we should hang out sometime too, you know?" she laughed as she walked towards the front door

"yeah."

"Hey, Mina?— will you please take care of Sana and let me know if she's doing fine the next day?"

"Yeah... sure. I'll take care of her."

"Thanks.." she smiled "Okay— see you tomorrow"

"See you." she waved with a smile on her face as she watched Jeongyeon leave. The moment she dropped her wave her smile disappeared and sighed. "oh well." she mumbled and shuts the door behind her.