Chapter 4 ❄ Second Choice

Forgotten Goodbyes

 

 

Chaeyoung looked up from her sketch pad facing the ceiling
‘Hmm the rain is getting heavy I wonder if it-’
Without a second thought Chaeyoung pulled Sana into her chest covering her ears, thunder boomed causing the walls around them to shake 

 

Sana approached Chaeyoung who was sitting on the bleachers with her earphones in looking down at her sketchpad. Sana sat next to Chaeyoung looking over her shoulder to see what the latter was drawing. She had drawn the school field and the dark gloomy sky as she moved the pencil back and forth on the page detailing the sky. Sana pulled out one of Chaeyoung’s earphones putting it in hers, she was listening to “Nu’est Hello”. Sana stared at the focused girl who was drawing, she was at a loss of words. She wanted to say something her lips parted but only air came out. She continued to stare at the girl admiring her beauty. 

 

“So are you just going to hover or what?” Chaeyoung let out a low growl not once paying attention to Sana 

 

Sana couldn’t move her lips. ‘Why am I like this? Why can’t I say anything?’ Sana questioned herself 

 

Chaeyoung let out a heavy sigh pausing the song on her iPod finally paying attention to Sana “What do you want?” 

 

“I was just curious about what you were doing out of class” Sana replied 

 

Thinking about it now, why did I follow Chaeyoung out of class? I just saw her out the window and suddenly I was following her’ before Sana could finish her train of thoughts Chaeyoung saw a teacher walking towards them. Without a second thought, Chaeyoung grabbed Sana’s hand as she dashed away from the teacher. Sana stared at their hands, her heart skipped a beat as she glanced at their intertwined fingers. She could feel the heat growing on her cheeks. She forcefully moved her eyes away from their hands trying to stop her beat red face from turning into a tomato. Chaeyoung was too busy looking around for a place to hide to notice the blushing girl behind her. Chaeyoung continued to run holding Sana’s hand until she found a place to hide. 

 

“Chaeyoung why are we running?” Sana gasped in between her words as she tried to keep up with Chaeyoung’s pace 

 

“I saw a teacher walking over to us” 

 

‘Wait! Why am I running? I have a hall pass!’ Before Sana could scold Chaeyoung for making her run Chaeyoung ran into a shed pulling Sana in shutting the door behind them. They frantically scrambled to get into the room when Sana caught her foot on a fallen mop, suddenly the ground was speeding towards her pulling Chaeyoung along with her. Chaeyoung pulled Sana into her chest putting herself under Sana cover her head with her hands protecting her and they clattered hard on the ground. Chaeyoung’s back grazing along the floor, pain screaming through her back from the hard impact. Sana pulled her arms up as she tried to protect her body jabbing her elbow into Chaeyoung’s rib cage. 

The younger winced in pain as she jolted upwards from the sudden impact. Their faces in close proximity, Chaeyoung could feel Sana’s staggered breathing on her face. Their eyes locked on like magnets. Sana’s blush seared through her cheeks and for a moment she thought they were on fire. Chaeyoung averted her head to the side to avoid her gaze but her pink rosy cheeks gave her away. 

 

“So are you going to get off me?” 

 

“Oh right sorry,” Sana said shuffling on to her feet embarrassed ‘I can’t believe I just fell on top of Chaeyoung out of all the people it had to be her’ 

 

Chaeyoung stood up dusting the dirt from her uniform composing herself. She bent down grabbing her things off the floor before making her way towards a wall leaning her back against it. She focused her gaze at Sana, her face stoic. Sana shuffled around the room looking for a place to sit. She could feel Chaeyoung’s gaze follow her as she sat down on a desk. I tried staring back at her but I couldn’t feel my stomach churn my knees shaking under her stare. I focused my gaze at my feet, fidgeting with my thumbs. Chaeyoung stared at Sana for a few minutes before walking to the door. ‘The teacher should be gone by now’ she thought to turn the doorknob. The door didn’t open. She tugged harder at the door trying to get it open. 

 

She kicked the door, clicking her tongue before turning towards Sana “The door is locked” 

 

Sana’s jaw dropped to the floor. ‘No I can’t be stuck in here with Chaeyoung, I even left my phone in the bag this can’t be happening’ Sana scolded herself. Sana immediately ran past Chaeyoung and started banging on the door yelling for help. Chaeyoung shakes her head putting her earphones in trying to drown out Sana’s desperate screams for help. ‘It’s no use, we are stuck idiot’ 

 

After a few hours, the sky was engulfed in dark gray clouds. The day had been dark and overcast but in seconds it became a wall of water. It started off as a light shower then the rain began to fall so thickly that there is an instant covering of water on the streets. Each drop was as big as dimes and they fell like gravity turned up a notch. The wind and rain rattled away at the thin roof and walls of the shed. The rain was so loud Chaeyoung could hear it through the music, it seemed to sound only of water. Sana had stopped banging on the door a few hours ago and was now sitting next to Chaeyoung on the floor watching the girl sketching. 

 

The sound of water was disrupted by the loud gregarious boom of thunder. The sound sent the thin shed walls trembling as it bounced around the room. Chaeyoung subconsciously grabbed Sana pulling her into her chest covering her ears. Chaeyoung could feel Sana shaking trembling in fear from the gregarious roar of thunder. Chaeyoung grabbed her earphones placing each one into Sana’s ears trying to drown out the sound of thunder as the sky sent out another plangent rumble. Chaeyoung looked down at the trembling girl in her arms, trying her best to sooth the girl.

 

Sana breathed in and out but air wouldn’t enter her lungs. Her heart raced at impossible speeds as her lungs shallowly rose up and down in time. She dug her head into Chaeyoung’s chest wrapping her hands around her waist pulling Chaeyoung closer. 

 

‘She’s still the same, the way she trembles and shakes whenever she hears thunder’ Chaeyoung thought as she wrapped her arms around Sana trying to comfort her. ‘I always found myself wanting to protect her, She’s always been afraid of thunder even when we were little. She would hug someone as tightly as she could shutting her eyes closed trying to ignore the thunder’ Chaeyoung laid her head on top of Sana’s 

 

“Shh it’s okay I’m here don’t worry” Chaeyoung would whisper to Sana in her most soothing tone 

 

🌨️

 

Jeongyeon had been walking around town when it started to rain. She thought it would be best to return Sana’s bag before heading home. She rings the doorbell to her dorm, the door swung open as Mina gave her a warm smile. 

 

“Is Sana home? She asked me to bring her bag” Jeongyeon held up Sana’s bag showing it to Mina
 

“No she isn’t here yet, I thought she was with you?” She replied with a puzzled look on her face 

 

“Oh no, she left class early and told me to bring her bag” 

 

“You can wait inside until she comes back” Mina offered to move away from the door inviting Jeongyeon in 

 

“Thanks” Jeongyeon smiled warmly as she walked into the dorm 

 

Jeongyeon found a seat on the couch and Mina followed after her taking a seat next to her. They turned their attention to the movie playing on the TV. When a sudden boom of thunder broke through the cemented walls disrupting the movie. Jeongyeon unconsciously stood up from her seat. Mina grabbed Jeongyeon’s wrist with a concerned look on her face. 

 

“Are you okay?” 

 

“No, I need to find Sana it’s thundering and I have no clue where she is I need to go” 

 

“Wait but it’s pouring and you don’t have an umbrella” Mina stood up from her seat blocking Jeongyeon’s exit 

 

“I don’t need one” And with that statement, Jeongyeon ran out of the door looking for Sana 

 

She ran up and down the water-filled streets of Seoul, she first went to Sana’s favorite places before checking nearby restaurants, cafes, and stores. Stopping everyone on the streets asking if they have seen her. After hours of searching, she had no lead, the numbing rain pelted down on her skin, her feet throbbed aching for rest. ‘No I can’t stop I need to find her’ Jeongyeon had only one thought running through her mind, pushing her pain to the side as she sprinted down the street shielding her face from the strong gusting winds. She tried dialing Sana’s phone several times, no answer. Lastly, she decided to go check the school running through the hallways in her rain-soaked clothes desperately asking teachers if they had seen Sana. She stopped her geography teacher asking if she had seen Sana.

 

“I saw her with a short girl running on the field during the last period of class” 

 

Jeongyeon thanked the teacher as she dashed out of the building towards the field. She ran around the yard screaming Sana’s name. Chaeyoung could hear faint yelling in the distance, as it slowly came closer she recognized the voice. It was Jeongyeon. She went to the door banging against it yelling for Jeongyeon’s name. Jeongyeon heard the faint yells coming from the shed and ran towards the door. 

 

“Sana is that you are you okay?” 

 

“Jeongyeon it’s me Chaeyoung we are locked in” 

 

Jeongyeon looked around looking for a pair of keys on the floor unlocking the door. Jeongyeon shoved Chaeyoung out of the way as she ran towards Sana hugging her tightly. She removed the headphones as she cupped Sana’s face kissing her forehead sweetly. 

 

“Are you okay?” Sana nodded before getting pulled into Jeongyeon’s chest as she caressed Sana’s head 

 

Chaeyoung stared at the two clenching her fist. I wanted to protect you and that was always my mistake making you my priority when I was always your second choice. Unknowingly Chaeyoung mumbled “always my mistake making you my priority when I was always your second choice” 

 

Sana turned to Chaeyoung with knitted eyebrows “What do you mean about being the second choice?” 

 

Chaeyoung bites her lip clenching her fist tighter “O-oh, it’s nothing I- I have to go” Without another word Chaeyoung dashed out of the shed and into the rain not once looking back. Sana broke free of Jeongyeon’s grasp as she chased after Chaeyoung calling of her name multiple times. 

 

Jeongyeon's eyes widened as she eyed Sana “Sana!” she called but was ignored by the latter who continued to chase after Chaeyoung. She released a deep sigh and hung her head as water slowly dripped from her hair.

 

'great.' Jeongyeon sighed with a small chuckle