Chapter 1 ❄ New Student

Forgotten Goodbyes

 

 

The forest hums around her. The sun breaks through the cracks, lighting up the dirt path ahead of me, decorated with outgrown roots, flowers and fallen leaves that crunch beneath her feet. The light streaks through the cracks in both brilliant and shadowy streaks. When she heard sniffling coming from a direction. As the girl trekked toward the sound a small girl curled up in a ball came to view. 

 

“What's your name?” she grinned

 

“S-Sana” she stuttered with a sniff

 

“Hey.. hey. Sana.. don’t cry? uh..” she patted her head and began to look around for something to make her smile. “Ah! I got an idea..” she smiled and grabbed her hand “come with me” she pulled

 

“O-Okay..— Ack!” Sana stood but the moment she did her bruised leg limped.

“Ah, you’re hurt.”

“It.. hurts” Sana began to cry yet again

“Hey hey, it’s okay.. here. Climb on” she smiled as she bent down, giving her the chance to climb onto her back

 

“A-are you sure?”

“Yes” The kid grinned and chuckled

 

Sana then climbed carefully onto the kid’s back and clasped her arms around her neck

 

“You good, Sana?” And Sana shyly nodded “okay! Here we go!” She fixed her position to carry her comfortably as they walked towards the river stream across the camp site

 

“Here we are Sachi!”

“Sachi?”

“You are a cute, chubby kid, I think the nickname Sachi sounds perfect for you” she grinned

 

Sana shyly covered her round face as she still sniffs in pain.

 

“Uh.. wait here” the kid smiled and ran away

“W-wait. where are you going?” Sana cried again

 

The kid was far from her—hopping over the rocks on the stream as she looks over the clear water. She smiled over her and hopped back for her

“Look Sachi! Look what I found.” She smiled as she hands over a small heart-shaped pebble she found on the stream, It was a bit mossy and some of the stone’s texture was rough with powdered crystals “That’s for you.”

 

“Are you sure I can have this?”

“Yeah. it's for you— here. let’s carve on it”

 

The kid then looked for another stone that is sharp enough to penetrate the rock-like pebble. She carved in ‘Sachi’ for Sana to own.

 

“There”

“Thank you.. but I didn't catch your name?”

“Oh.. it’s ****”

“Huh.. what was that?”

 

The vision of the kid grew dark and moved further away from her as she called out to the kid and reached out for her

 

“Sachi.,” she mumbled with a smile

“wait..what was your name?”

“I'll see you soon” she grinned and the vision moves further away from her.

 

The vision of the kid grew dark and moved further away from her as she called out to the kid and reached out to her. My surroundings disappeared in front of my eyes the bright green forest color blended together into an endless white void. 

 

“Sachi.,” she mumbled with a smile

 

“wait..what was your name?”

 

“I’ll see you soon” she grinned, and the vision moves further away from her.

 

Within a flash, everything turned black 

 

“Ah!” Sana jolted from her bed as that dream appeared to her yet again. Her chest heaved up and down as she clutched onto her shirt trying to catch her breath.

 

‘Why can’t I remember her.. who is she?’ she sighed and reached out onto her head.

 

“Sachi..”

 

‘That name… No one calls me that name..’ she sighed again.

 

She got up from her bed and began walking downstairs to meet her dorm mates.

 

“Ah! Sanatang! Good morning!” one of the girls smiled at her with a bubbly feel

 

“ah, you're up early” another had greeted her groggily

 

“You seemed sleepy Mina” she chuckled

 

“yeah.. I was up last night leveling up my character.. so, that was fun” she rolled her eyes and plopped her head onto the table

“Well? get some rest, because... it's our first day of school!” another said bubbly

“Momo.. why are you so excited for school?” Mina rolled with a sigh

“—Because! there’s a lot of cute freshmen coming”

“Uh... Predator alert.”

 

Sana laughed at her two friends as she sat in between them for breakfast. 

 

‘Momo and Mina have been my friends since freshman year, I met them during the dance class elective. Momo majors in pop, and Mina majors in ballet. They’ve been my roommates ever since then. It feels so great to have them in my life, especially when these two are Japanese just like me, living in a country we technically don’t belong. I moved to Korea when I was 8. When I was younger— I lived with my grandmother in Japan. I miss my obaasan… I wonder how is she doing?’ 

 

“Sana.. Sana…” a voice echoed to her “SANA!” 

“W-what.. what..”

 

“You’re daydreaming again,” Momo chuckled

“S-Sorry”

 

Sana’s phone buzzed, and received a notification from her mom.

 

(Sana-chan, are you going to school now?)

 

Hi mom, yeah, why?

 

(Oh. Do you remember that girl you played with Jeongyeon?)

 

Yes? Chaeyoung was it?

 

(Yes, she’s back in Seoul, I believe her mom told me she’ll be transferring to your school)

 

She is?! When? Where is she?

 

(ah. I don’t really know, but I think she found an apartment somewhere near your school) 

 

Oh. I am excited.

 

(I know you are, I am also sure Jeongyeon’s mother had shared the news too. When will you visit us?)

 

Soon mother. I just started school.

 

(When you get back here, make sure to bring Jeongyeon and Chaeyoung with you too. I am sure Jeongyeon’s parents would love to meet Chaeyoung again.)

 

Yes, mom. We will.

 

(Good. I will see you soon, honey. Love you)

 

love you too mom.

 

‘ah. Chaeyoung is back..’




 

🌨️

 

Sana and her friends huffed the moment they reached the station. Sana started in an all-out sprint towards the school 

 

“Sana. I don't run!” Momo grunted

 

“I don't either but… it's already 8..” 

 

We were running late; Sana pulled my phone out of my pocket to text Jeongyeon we were running late and to distract the guards from closing the gate. As I was about to hit send my foot got caught on a small lip in the pavement where it had cracked previously. I closed my eyes bracing myself to the impact with the cemented sidewalk. But after a few seconds, I realized I hadn’t plummeted towards the ground. My eyes met with those of a short girl standing in front of me holding onto my arm. Her golden hair draped down softly curling along the ends just above her shoulders. When she turned her head it moved with her like a liquid as her eyes met with mine. Her eyes were a deep earthy brown; shining in the sunlight they glistened like an old copper penny. They held secrets, the same way a pot holds layers of deep soil protecting the plant. The roots are held in place the same way her dark, liquidly eyes held onto her secrets. 

 

Before I could stare any longer into her mysterious eyes she stepped away letting go of my arm “Are you okay?” 

 

“Y-yeah thanks for catching me” 

“No problem just watch where your going next time” She scooped down to the floor picking up my phone and placing it in the palm of my hand 

 

Before I could say another word Mina and Momo grabbed onto my wrist pulling me along as they continued to run towards the school. I turned back to the girl, but she was no longer there; I didn’t get your name I mumbled under my breath. I looked at my phone Who are you? My phone buzzed as a notification popped up on my home screen from Jeongyeon. We came to a screeching halt when we arrived. 

 

“Jeongyeon!” Sana shouted as she waved across the school building to find Jeongyeon standing and laying her back on the school gate.

“Sana! What took you so long?”

“Eh? I WAS.. Kinda.. early?— I got on time at least”

 “Yeah. We planned to meet at 7:30. it’s 8”

“I..” The bell suddenly rang to alert the students for homeroom.

 

“Dang.” Sana clicked

“Idiot” Jeongyeon rolled her eyes “Let’s go” she grabbed Sana’s hand and pulled her away

“Ack! — Bye girls!” she waved at Momo and Mina

 

Jeongyeon and Sana sat together for homeroom, waiting for their teacher to arrive. Sana then plopped her head onto the desk with a grunt

 

“Ah! I am so tired”

“Geeze.. what time did you sleep?” Jeongyeon chuckled and placed her chin onto her palm as she looked out the window

“I slept.. early? I think? What time did we stop texting?”

“About 10.. cause I fell asleep”

“Yeah. so. I watched YouTube.. probably 12?” she awkwardly laughed

 

Sana released a sigh and lazily scoots her head closer to Jeongyeon’s arm

 

“Jeongyeon..?” and the latter replied with a hum “do you think.. she still remembers us?”

“Who knows really? — We don’t stay in contact anymore..”

“Why do you think she left?” Jeongyeon just replied with a hum — without uttering a word, their teacher arrived to start the class.

 

‘So.. she’s not in my homeroom class’

 

“Hi girls!” Sana came in bubbly and lively

“Sanatang!” the girls replied as she met with Momo and Mina in the dance class.

 

Mina and Momo grinned a lot and laughed

 

“uh... are you girls okay?”

“We got a new student in class! And holy sh — she’s hot!” Momo screeched

“I agree with her.. she is just gorgeous,” Mina added

 

“Excuse me? Mina.. you’re interested in these kinds?”

“I think. I got infected by the Momo disease.. oh no! — HELP ME!!” Mina taunted

“Oh please! You admitted she was hot!” Momo countered with a smirk

 

‘a new student huh.. Can that be Chaeyoung?’

 

“Well. what’s the girl’s name?” She asked

“uh.. I think it was Ch—” The bell suddenly rang for the start of class

 

‘uh.. was she going to say Chaeyoung?! — I need to know..’

 

The dance class started as the teacher smiled at them

 

“Well.. We got some news for you because — there are three new students that will join our class from today onwards.”

 

‘new student..’

 

“Okay guys, come in and join us.” The teacher called them and smiled at the three students. One of them looked familiar to Sana, but was different.

 

‘two girls and a guy.. please let one of them be Chaeyoung.’

 

“Well, please introduce yourselves,” the teacher began

 

The students nervously moved forward to introduce themselves as they bowed, and finally, the last student with the short hair and bright smile stood in front to speak. I looked closely at her instantly recognizing her distinct features. It filled my body with excitement as I connected the two dots. It was the girl from this morning I screamed in my head I finally found you.  

 

‘Chaeyoung..’

 

“Hello, My name is Chaeyoung.. I am in your care”

 

Wait. Did I hear that right? Did she say her name was Son Chaeyoung? This can’t be. The girl from this morning and Chaeyoung are the same person? Ehhh? Every muscle in my body just froze as my brain processes the information before a grin slowly crept onto my face, it soon stretched from one side to the other showing every single tooth. It’s Chaeyoung, we finally met