Chapter 12 ❄ Christmas Eve pt 2

Forgotten Goodbyes

“Huh? Where are they?” Nayeon looked around with food on their hands

“Yeah, the lighting of the tree will start” 

 

Chaeyoung seemed to be uncomfortable with the thought of Jeongyeon and Sana being alone together. She knew, from the start about Jeongyeon’s true feelings. 

 

“I.. uh.. I’ll look for them,” She said as she ran away

“Wait! Chaeyoung!” Momo called to her, but the cub didn’t respond

“Oh, no..” Jihyo sighed

“Why?” Dahyun asked

“Nothing..” and the four girls glanced at each other, with sorrow evident in their faces. 

 

🌨️

 

“J-Jeong—” Sana uttered as she pulled away from the latter

“I am sorry.. I love you, Sana” she smiled at her with the most gentle smile and sincere stares as her eyes moistened to the thought of losing Sana at this point.

“You.. You’re bluffing right?” Jeongyeon shook her head and reached to gently grab her hand again.

“I am sorry, but I am not.. I wish I was. I would never want to ruin the friendship we built, but—“

“You must be kidding” she laughed “oh, Jeongyeon.. you and your pranks— I get it now” Her heart pounded loudly. She tried to stop it and pretend it was a joke.

 

“I am not joking, Sana”

“Sure.. I get it” she laughed awkwardly

 

‘Stop Jeongyeon. Stop it. Stop saying these things to me. Just stop.’

 

🌨️

 

Chaeyoung was walking around the park to look for Jeongyeon and Sana, as she heard a faint conversation on the left side of the park. It sounds like Jeongyeon and Sana.

 

“It’s impossible, Jeongyeon.. You can stop with the pranks now,” she chuckled and stuttered with every word she uttered

 

‘Huh, that sounds like Sana.’ She began walking closer to the conversation

 

🌨️


 

“I do mean what I mean..”

“Sure.” she laughed

 

‘No. you don’t, stop playing with me Jeongyeon. It’s not a good prank. It’s impossible’

 

Jeongyeon gritted her teeth as she walked closer to Sana, with her brows knitted, piercing her with serious stares. 

 

Is she really serious?’

 

“I am serious.. Sana” 

 

‘No, you are not. You can’t be.’

 

“J-Jeongye—” Just before she could completely utter her name, Jeongyeon had leaned down to gently capture her lips. Sana’s eyes widened from the kiss to which Jeongyeon caught her off guard.

 

‘She.. she’s.. Jeongyeon..’ Jeongyeon’s tears began to fall, their kiss was salty, sweet, she felt Jeongyeon’s hand trembling, she felt her lips quiver, she felt her love overflowed just for her. Sana breathed and relaxed as she let the latter show her what she meant to her. Their hearts pounded in sync. ‘I am sorry..’ as Sana’s tears began to fall. She lets her express without pulling away from that gentle kiss. 

 

🌨️

 

‘I swear I heard it this way’ Chaeyoung began walking as she reached a small turn. The moment she turned her eyes widened to what she saw across her. A vision of Sana, all wrapped around Jeongyeon’s arms, and their lips connected. Her heart dropped and stood still as her eyes watered. Her legs seemed to be stuck in that one place, she can’t run away. She tried her hardest to take a step back as her shoes screeched onto the cemented pavement, loud enough for the latter in front of her to notice.

 

Sana turned to the direction of the sound to find Chaeyoung standing in front of them with her eyes widened bursting out in tears.

“C-Chaeyoung?” Sana uttered. Chaeyoung wanted to say something, but no words could escape . “Chae- I-”

“I’M S-SORRY!” She yelled and ran away, she had to. 

“Chaeyoung!” Sana went to chase after her but was halted by Jeongyeon.

 

“Are you going to chase after her again?”

“Jeongyeon.. I— Chaeyoung needs—“

“Am I not enough, Sana?”

“I.. I..” nothing seems to come out of to counter her. She sighed “Let me chase after her Jeongyeon.. We can’t lose her again..” 

Jeongyeon stared over the horizon to see the cub running away in blurry vision. She then eyed over Sana, her smile disappeared, her eyes moistened, her want to chase after the cub was evident. Jeongyeon lets go of her wrist with a sigh.

 

“I.. I’ll come back Jeongyeon. I am sorry.”

“Sure..” Without a word, Sana ran to chase after the cub. She left Jeongyeon under the dark sky, as the snow gently piled up above her

 

“I should’ve known..” she chuckled as she raised her chin onto the dark sky, her tears flowed and the pain in her heart increased

🌨️

 

Chaeyoung ran away, she didn’t care where all that mattered was distance. Her head hangs low, hand on her knees as she panted trying to catch her breath for running for how long. She was nowhere near the venue; she was on the side of a random empty road. “I knew it... I’m such a fool”’ she stuttered slamming her fist into the wall causing her knuckles to bust open bleeding. But that didn’t stop her, she took another swing at the wall one after another. Nothing could stop her, not even the throbbing pain except when a pair of soft arms wrapped around her. The slim arms moulded around her, the soft fragrant perfume too familiar her back grew stiff as she knew who it was. The one person she wanted to see, but the more I see you, the more I fall for you… I can’t see you… I can’t be with you… You were made for someone else… not me… please let me let you go…

 

“Chaeyoung… please stop... please” Sana’s soft sobs could be heard as she dug her head into Chaeyoung’s back her grip tightening around the younger afraid to let go 

 

Chaeyoung knew what needed to be done, she removed Sana’s hands off her not once looking back at the girl before walking away leaving the crying girl. She clenched her fist tightly fighting the urge to comfort the girl in her embrace. Instead, she shook her head of all these thoughts hanging her head low focusing on taking one step after another. But the sound of a single voice calling out to her stopped her from taking another step. The pain clearly eminent as the voice cracked mid sentence. 

 

“Why do you keep running away?” She cried. Chaeyoung remained silent, trying to figure out words to counter her, but nothing seemed to come out. “Why.. Why do you make me feel this way?” Sana pleaded in between her sobs, her voice cracking from all the pain she had been holding in “You open up to me… you show me the side I remember when we were kids, but then you push me away… you changed… you become a stranger” Chaeyoung bite her lip hearing every word being said, but refusing to reply to the crying girl

 

“Why do you pull me in to just push me away? Do you not care how you play with my feelings?” She had raised her voice now desperate to hear Chaeyoung’s answers, but the latter stood still her back turned towards the older 

 

“Do you not remember all those memories we shared when we were younger? Am I just a toy to you?” Sana pulled Chaeyoung’s arm making the younger face her; The younger’s face was cold expressionless before her eyes met with Sana’s and it all melted away. “Tell me! What am I to you Chaeyoung”

 

She forcefully took her hand away from Sana’s grasp, her eyes filled with emotions as they glistened from the tears threatening to come out “You think I want this? Do you know how much it hurts me? You say I just play with your emotions, that I don’t care about you? I’ve always cared about you” She clenched her hand, her voice raised clearly offended from such accusations 

 

“Chaeyoung..”

 

“I’ve known about it since middle school after all!” Chaeyoung screamed as she pointed at her chest “No matter how hard I tried to push it down they still remain, in this heart of mine there is a room where the memories remain. There’s no way I could forget,” The tears she tried to hold back came flowing from her eyes

 

“I just wanted it to be like how it used to be.. Is that too much to ask?” Sana stared at the crying latter in front of her; guilt building in her for making such assumptions. She parted her lips to say something more but only air could come out. As the two stared at each other the tears flowing endlessly from their eyes. 

 

“Sana stop it! You’re stuck in the past, I’m not the same person none of us are can’t you understand?” Chaeyoung ran her fingers through her hair in frustration breaking the silence between them “It’s stupid to get back to the way we used to, Sana”

“-but we can, if you let me!”

“You don’t know what’s going on.. Do you?” She sighed with a chuckle “You sure are oblivious..”

“W-What do you mean..” Chaeyoung gritted her teeth as she turned to face the latter

 

“Are you seriously going to ignore what happened back there?” Chaeyoung raised her voice with anger clear in her tone “Do you think, going back to the way we used to is happening right now Sana?”

 

“I-I..just..” there are no words that could come out of Sana’s mouth, her voice cracked up, her heart pounded

“-then you must really be stupid.” she said in a monotone voice

“I-I’m sorry..” Chaeyoung’s eyes widened from what Sana uttered. “I am sorry, cause I’ve been trying to bring us back to how we used to. You, me and Jeongyeon. It was the most important thing to me. I don’t even know what to do.. We lost you once, I can’t stand losing you again..” Chaeyoung sighed as she looked up the snowy sky

 

“It’s impossible right now.. I will never not think about you..” Her eyes began to moisten as Sana watched her be vulnerable right in front of her “I’ve tried getting rid of you.. I tried stopping and running away, but you kept chasing after me. It kills me every time you do.” 

 

Sana grabbed Chaeyoungs hand intertwining it with hers as she looked sincerely into Chaeyoung’s eyes “Then stay Chaeyoung… let me help you, I know I wasn’t there for you then but I am here for you now” 

 

Chaeyoung loosened her fingers letting her hand fall out of Sana’s “I don’t need you now I needed you then” Chaeyoung said coldly; her gaze felt like an act of violence, a glare to stop Sana’s heart 

 

“But still even after all of that” She scoffed at her failed attempts “It still didn’t work” She ruffled her hair in frustration, with a sigh. A phrase she couldn’t admit had been dying to be released from . Her voice cracked, taking that last breath of cold air to finally utter the words she hid. “I loved you since I met you” Chaeyoung dropped her head before walking away from the stunned girl “-but you are not mine to keep..”

 

Sana wanted to run after her, wrap her hands around her, comfort her. Instead, she stood still; motionless her feet glued to the ground. She dropped to the floor, her knees giving out the tears refused to stop. She sat on the sidewalk her knees pulled to her chest unsure of what to do next.  The sky roared with fireworks trailing the darkness of the night sky, Christmas songs never sounded as jolly as it did, the crowd’s cheers were empty as it blurred out the sounds in her head. She cried, asking for someone to help but no one seemed to hear her thoughts. She was left alone.

“Hey” a voice, gentle and familiar to her caught her attention. She looked up to see that gentle smile she was used to seeing

“Jeongyeon..”

“I found you.” she smiled, but it was obviously faked. She knew it hurt her.

“I.. I am sorry”

“Don’t worry about it.” she reached out her hand waiting for the latter to grab it. Sana hesitated, but accepted her gesture “here, It’s cold tonight” she wrapped Sana around with her coat “and smile.. It’s important to me” she gently smiled with her to let her know everything will be alright. She gently pulled her away from the dark and back to the city lights as they walked hand in hand

 

“Jeongyeon.. Why are you here? I hurt you. Why did you come looking for me?”

“Because.. You’re Sana, you’re important to me.. Even if you can’t look at me the same way as I do,” She chuckled

“I am sorry”

“It’s okay, I can wait.” she laughed “besides.. I waited for years”

“Thank you, Jeongyeon” Sana halted from their walk. Jeongyeon then turned to see the latter with her head hung low and tears began to flow. She smiled as she moved closer to hug her

 

“You can stop crying now, everything will be okay” She smiled as she carefully caressed her face. She lifted her chin to give Sana a kiss on the forehead. “I love you, Sana.. You won’t lose me, and I won’t leave you” She pulled away and chuckled “Just smile for me, okay?” Sana chuckled and nodded with a smile on her face. They began to walk back to the city and the gang hand in hand.