Chapter 3 ❄ Always There

Forgotten Goodbyes

 

 

“Ugh!” Sana groaned as she sat on the floor facing the sky’s horizon as the sun slowly sets, it’s orange and red hues coloring the sky. 

 

A sound of the metal door clasped behind her, thinking it was Jeongyeon

“You’re late Jeongyeon” she sighed without looking back

 

“I am sorry” Chaeyoung uttered, a voice Sana had yet to hear. Her eyes widened and jolted back

“Chaeyoung?”

“Jeongyeon told me to come up here and talk to you.”

“Oh..” Chaeyoung calmly walked towards her and sat beside her as nothing had happened 

 

“Were you sad?”

“No, I mean just a bit, you were too distant to me, You didn't even talk to me.”

“I am sorry, I just.. well I don't know” she sighed

“It’s okay, I just feel I might have done something you didn't like”

“No, you didn't”

“Then”

“I just don't know.” Sana sighed deeply enough for the latter to hear as they both stared into smooth collisions of sky burst reds and yellow with clouds slowly passing by.

 

“So” Sana broke the silence followed with a few breaths of hesitation. Her heart pounded in nervousness, trying to come up with a good topic to talk about. She carefully clenched her fist onto her chest.

 

“I am sorry Sana” Chaeyoung uttered

“huh”

“I just I don’t know, I just can't face you..”

“Chaeyoung, What did I do wrong..”

“it's not what you did, it's what I did.”

“huh”

“Remember that night I left? I told you if you could meet me at the park.” She hung her head low and sighed

 

“Oh. right, that night”

“I Never came,remember..”

 

A flashback had appeared in the midst of their conversation. 

 

“[Wait for me okay? I got something for you]” Chaeyoung's voice is heard on the phone. Sana replied and smiled as she dressed casually to meet Chaeyoung at the park. Sana reached the park at a quarter to 6— a bit earlier than what she and Chaeyoung agreed. 

 

The wind blew cold through Sana’s soft skin, as she sits by the swing waiting for her to come. 

 

“what's taking her so long” 

she took a glance at the park's clock to see it had already been half past 7. She sighed and began to dial-up Chaeyoung’s phone. That night... It couldn’t be reached. Ever since that day, Chaeyoung did not attend school and was immediately announced that she was transferring. Without a sense of goodbye, Chaeyoung left. 

 

“After that night, I wanted to approach you. But I knew what I did was hurtful” Chaeyoung’s voice snapped Sana back. “I am sorry..”

 

“It’s okay. What matters now, is that you are back. You don’t have to tell me what happened..” 

 

Chaeyoung’s eyes began to water, as she silently tried to wipe her tear away

 

“Hey! Don’t cry! It’s okay, Jeongyeon and I will be here for you. Just like old times.”

“Thank you” she sighed

 

Sana stared at Chaeyoung as she watched her every movement. She smiled gently to be able to see her like this, and know that she’s one of the people she trusted.

 

“Chaeyoung?” She leaned closer to her

“Yeah?”

“I want to be that person you trust, So please don't push me away.. I’ll always be here for you”

“Thank you, Sana”

 

Sana gently pulled her closer for a hug. Chaeyoung felt the warmth of her embrace, she felt safe and protected— Something she yearned for years had always been coming back to her. Something she wanted to say that night she left— and that something is something she still wants to let Sana know.

 

“Sana?” Sana replied with a hum in question as she still continued to hug the latter

“I..—“ She uttered with a long pause and sighed, “Thank you.”


 

🌨️

 

The cicadas were chirping in the morning as a bright ray of sun hits Sana's closed eyes. A soft moan was released from her lips. She stretched up to see the morning sunrise and got up two hours early for her daily routine. 

 

Her phone suddenly rang to see Jeongyeon's name popped up on the screen of her phone. 

 

“H-Hello?”

“[I see you’re awake now]” she laughed

“Huh, what do you mean?”

“[I’ve been waiting for an hour and a half for that light to switch on]” 

“wait. what?!” Sana instantly jolted as she looked out the window to see Jeongyeon smiling at her and waving with a picnic basket hung up onto her arms

 

“What are you doing here this early. It's just 4 am”

[I honestly thought you'd wake up around 6. So I came early..— I was lucky you woke up, Guess you felt my presence huh?]” Sana chuckled to see her friend with a gentle smile

 

“So.. what you got there Romeo?” she chuckled

“[this? Just breakfast. I cooked it this morning]”

“You were up that early? Why?!”

“[Look, princess, I saw you having some hard time yesterday, I wanted to cheer you up]”

“Oh, Jeongyeon..”

“[Uh.. so.. Am I coming up? or are you just going to talk to me on the phone like this?]”

“What were you planning?”

“[Oh. I wasn't planning to climb up your window at all.. so. may I just walk in the front door?]” she joked

 

“But, that’s less romantic!” she pouted

“[I see. So, me climbing up there and with a chance to break my bones— is romantic?!]”

“Yeah. that's when I know.. you’d die for me, silly”

“[Sana, I am trying to cheer you up. Not date you?]”

“Aww.. worth a try!— I’ll open the front door Romeo.” she taunted and dropped the call and began to walk downstairs to open the door for Jeongyeon.

 

“Delivery” Jeongyeon grinned as she lifts the picnic basket

“Whatever. So much for having a Romeo and Juliet moment”

 

“I’d rather not die.”

 

“Okay, come in. Mina and Momo are still sleeping, so.. My room?”

“Where else.”

“Fine! it's a bit messy”

“a bit?! You’re always messy!— ugh”

“Okay? you stay out there.”

“I’m coming in!” and she immediately welcomed herself in and walked straight to Sana's room.

 

Jeongyeon sat on Sana's room floor as she looks around with a smile

“Should I clean for you?”

“No! I am fine!”

“Is it that hard to put your clothes in the laundry basket?!”

“Jeongyeon!”

“okay. okay.” she rolled her eyes and sighed. Sana laughed as she sat beside Jeongyeon.

 

“So, what did you cook for me?”

“Something good— but first!” she positioned herself to face Sana, holding out both of her hands. “—We’re gonna play a game”

“A game? in the morn—ACK!” Jeongyeon immediately slapped Sana's hand that caught her off guard

 

“WHY WERE YOU IGNORING CHAEYOUNG YESTERDAY?!” She blurted out the question

“That hurts!” Jeongyeon slapped her other hand

“Hurts?! It was so awkward yesterday! YOU WERE HURTING ME TOO!”

“Okay. okay. I’m sorry!” Sana whined

 

Jeongyeon lifted up her palm, ready for another slap. She took up a high momentum, yet halted in the midst of the slap so she can softly caress Sana’s red hand.

 

“Oh Sana” she sighed “You should at least tell me what’s going on with you. You were too quiet. I was worried”

“I’m sorry Jeongyeon. I just didn’t feel like talking that time”

“It’s okay. That’s why I am here.” She smiled and gently held onto her hand


 

“Thank you— So, what’s this?”

“Kimchi pancakes!”

“Really?!”

“Yeah! And— You want some ramen? I’ll cook downstairs?”

“No.. it’s fine. This is enough”

“You sure?”

“Yes. Thank you” she hugged the latter and released a gentle smile

 

The girls began to eat their breakfast and had some random conversations about family, friends, sports, and games. Until they stumbled upon the topic about Chaeyoung.

 

“Why do you think. Chaeyoung left us without even saying goodbye?” Sana began

“Well, I don’t know for sure, but she’ll tell us when she’s ready. You just have to be patient”

“I am patient. I am just worried”

“Sana, you are not patient.. knowing you, You’ll do anything just to get what you want.”

“No?! I won't”

“Oh yes, you will!— I know you too well”

 

Sana laughed, followed with a sigh 

“I just want to help her when she feels down... you know.”

“I know.. But give her time Sana..” Jeongyeon smiled and patted her head to which the latter pouted. “It’ll be okay”

“Stop treating me like a kid Jeong” she chuckled

“-But you are a kid”

“No, I am not”

“You’re my kid” Jeongyeon smiled as she gently reached out for Sana’s hand, and intertwined it.

 

“Oh Jeongyeon- enough with the cheese.” she chuckled

“Cheese is better than sugar right?”

“Yeah, and Romeo climbing up the balcony is better than just walking through the front door”

“Excuse me? I am not here to court you, young Juliet!”

“HA! I’d laugh if you fall for me” she taunted “-and excuse me? ha! I am freaking pretty!”

“That will never happen! I’ve known you for 9 years, have you seen me fall in love with you?” she laughed “NOPE!”

“Who knows!” she taunted and stuck her tongue out

“Stop that, if you don’t want me to pull that off!”

 

The girls giggled and quipped the whole morning just before they go to school. Momo and Mina woke up in a few hours to find them playing random console games in Sana’s room. Jeongyeon also dared to cook for the other two girls for breakfast.

 

🌨️

 

The girls arrived at school, with a few minutes to spare. Jeongyeon then dragged Sana over the school’s garden, across the track field— with a smile on her face and her gentle touch. The wind blew softly between them as Jeongyeon sat over the small ridge.

 

“Come on? We got a few minutes before homeroom!” She laughed

Sana chuckled and sat beside Jeongyeon. Jeongyeon then gently laid her head on Sana’s lap— looking over the sunny & serene sky.

 

“Today is such a lovely day, isn’t it?”

“It’s always a good day, Jeongyeon,” She chortles

“Uh, no? Remember that one time when you were frustrated with Chaeyoung?”

“That was just one time,” She rolled her eyes

“Still” Jeongyeon sighed as she raises her hand toward the sky, spreading her fingers about as if she is trying to catch the clouds as it passes by. “I always want to see you happy.”

“Oh Jeongyeon, here you go again.” she chuckled

“I am serious. You know how important you are to me?”

“I know” she smiled

 

Jeongyeon noticed this mellow smile as she unknowingly reciprocates the gesture. Her smile slightly disappears and her raised hand calmly reaches Sana’s face.

 

“Sana” and the latter replied with a hum in question

 

Jeongyeon’s words wouldn’t come out of as she carefully thought of the proper words she wanted to express.

“I—” Just before Jeongyeon could attempt to utter the words she desired to say, the school bell rang, alerting the students for homeroom. 

“Let’s go” Jeongyeon uttered with a sigh and got up from Sana’s lap.

“Jeongyeon?” she called behind her

“yeah?”

“Thank you.. for always being there for me. You don’t know how much I appreciate your efforts” she hung her head low and squirmed a bit. Jeongyeon still continued to give out a gentle smile as she slowly walked towards the latter— patting her head with a slight chuckle

“That’s what friends are for”

 

Sana saw the tall girl smiling over her, with her bright vibe and calming aura. Something only Jeongyeon can do, something about her is different— With Jeongyeon... She felt safe.

“Thank you”

 

“Let’s go. We’ll be late” Jeongyeon gently held her hand as she pulled her in the campus for homeroom.

 

🌨️

 

“Ah! I am so tired!” Sana groaned as she lazily plopped her head onto the table and scoots near Jeongyeon

“Seriously?”

“I. Am. Drained!! Okay?”

“You’re always drained during Tuesdays”

“Yeah! Cause it’s all major classes.. and I am like.. ‘please kill me now’” Jeongyeon chuckled as she pats Sana’s head

“It’s okay, the day is almost over anyway— how bout some ice cream later?”

“Ice cream!? Heck yeah!” Jeongyeon laughed at the latter’s reaction

“Okay. Calm down there,” She taunted

 

“Ah! Right!.. did you get to talk to Chaeyoung?” Sana asked

“Nope. We all got major subjects, and We only meet Chaeyoung during electives”

“So you don’t have her number?”

“I don’t think I do.”

“Ugh..”

“You sure miss her don’t you?” She chuckled

“Jeongyeon.. she’s been gone for 5 years— don’t you miss her too?”

“I do.. I am just giving her time and space Sana, You see how distant she is..” Jeongyeon then turned towards the window’s horizon “She may be back.. but.. Let’s admit that she is not the same active Tiger we used to know,” she sighed

 

“I know.. but, I really want to help her..”

“Sana?”

“Yeah.”

“Pushing her too much won’t help”

“But—“

“—There’s a reason why she left... There’s a reason why she didn’t tell us..” Jeongyeon averted her eyes as she continued to watch the sun slightly setting by the dark clouds “There must be a reason why she’s not the same as she was before, Sana— hmm, It looks like it’s going to rain..”

 

Sana sighed as she began to look around unconsciously trying to keep her mind busy. As she saw a short familiar girl passing by her classroom window.

 

‘Chaeyoung!’

 

“Ah! Excuse me, sir!” Sana instantly raised her hand and raised her voice enough for the class to hear

“Yes, Miss Minatozaki”

“May I please have a hall pass?— I needed to go to the restroom”

“Ah. sure.”

 

Sana leaned down to Jeongyeon as she began to whisper

“I saw Chaeyoung. Please bring my bag home.. I might not come back”

“What!!”

“Thank you!” Sana began to walk in front of the class towards her teacher to grab the hall pass. 

 

“Sana!” Jeongyeon quietly grunted and placed her palm on her forehead. Massaging this to Sana’s stubbornness.

 

‘Gosh.. what am I going to do with you’ Jeongyeon silently mumbled as she looked over the window once again— to find Chaeyoung walking towards the field’s small ridge with a sketchpad. 

 

‘Looks like she’ll be painting again huh..— guess I should leave them for now’

 

🌨️

 

Sana excitingly got out of her classroom and wondered which way Chaeyoung could have gone. She began walking around the campus—It was safe for her to roam since she has the hall pass. After a few moments of looking, she found Chaeyoung by the school’s field— with a sketch pad out and earphones on.

 

‘She’s.. drawing?’

 

Sana smiled from the thought of it as she carefully moved out of the campus towards the field.