Chapter 7

Protect Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jaebum watched as the man tried to get up and kicked him again. The man rolled on the floor, the pain apparent on the man’s face. Jaebum stopped the man, applying gentle pressure with his boots on the man face, securing the man’s cheek to the floor. Jaebum bent down and sighed, his foot still pinning down the man’s face. “You see, Mr. Kang, it’s not nice to be hit.” The man just spat at JB.

“Disgusting.” JB said as he ground the man's head into the cement floor.

“Let’s go.” He says to the others finally letting the name go, “We’ve done what we needed.”

The person climbed up and wiped the blood off his face. “Don’t think you’re invincible.” He spat. “Walking around with your weakness out in the open.”

Jaebum laughed. “I have no weaknesses.”

“The girl I saw might say otherwise.”

JB points his gun at the man, tightening his grip on the gun. “Walk away before I make sure that you’ll never walk again.”

The air was stale in the house when she arrived. Even Jackson who picked her up today was extremely quiet. Bad day at work, Dune assumed. The boys still greeted her with smiles but there wasn’t the usual liveliness. There wasn’t much for Dune to do anymore, things were coming to an end, and it was a few loose ends that she could do later. Mark came up to her and said in a soft voice, “I think you should go home for today, I’ll send you home.”

“I’ll do it.” JB interrupts.

JB was being distant the whole drive back to her apartment. Every time she tried to initiate some small talk he gave her short cold replies. Initially she was just concerned, worrying if something happened, but the more time went on she got angrier. They pulled into the apartment parking lot and JB stopped the car. He came round and opened the door and closing it once she was out. He turned to return to the driver’s side when she stopped him. Her anger boiling over.
“What did I do to deserve this behavior?”
JB, Sighed, “Please not today?”

“OK? Then when?”

JB Sighed, “Look Dune, I don’t think you need to concern yourself about this. I think it’s better if you stay away.”

“Why?”

“Don’t you realize that I am one of the most notorious gangsters in Seoul? You should be more scared.”

“I’m not.”

“Can’t you see that you will constantly be put in danger.”

“But it doesn’t matter, you’ll save me.”

Dune watched as Jaebum’s face change and for the first time since she met him, she felt scared. His eyes seemed so cold and it made her shiver unconsciously.

“You are mistaken. The only obligation I have to you is solely business.”

Dune felt her face flush and he eyes sting before a sense of clarity settled over her.

“Well then I quit.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter