three

ᴀɪsʟɪɴɢ ᴀᴄᴀᴅᴇᴍʏ : ʙᴀᴛᴛʟᴇ ᴏғ ʜᴇᴀʀᴛs ||〖 chapter seven! 〗(HIATUS)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
three < a start on fixing friendships >    

As Milo’s busy arranging some of the returned books back to their places, he notices a familiar figure sitting down at one of the tables near the window. The glimmering hairpiece that had the symbol of her household was a dead giveaway as to who she was but it was the quiet air around her that made her seem like a different person altogether.

She wasn’t doing anything except for staring out the window, the book she had been reading laying open in front of her. Milo can see that she was alone as to how her maid was nowhere to be seen. It came to his attention that she had been sighing so much in the past few minutes as if there was something heavy on her mind.

He had heard about the incident that occurred during the joint classes for fire training a few days ago and how Roseline had managed to save everyone from great disaster – the teachers were just as gossipy as the students, after all. The teachers were surprised themselves considering how she managed to summon such a spell as she had only recently been nursed to health and according to them, “-it could only be called a miracle!“

The students were no different either, claiming how different Roseline had been acting since her return. She was more cooperative in group projects, sat and conversed with people other than the high ranking noble ladies she surrounded herself with, had a lighter air around her, and in other terms, was just behaving a complete 180. Dinah had also noted how she hadn’t run into Roseline at all when the lady would usually go out of her way to bump into Dinah.

 

“No, I haven’t seen her at all since she came back," Dinah had mentioned during one of her recent visits, "Get this – Calliope said that Lady Roseline sits with her now!”

“Didn’t you say that usually only commoners or those with weak magic sit at the back? Why would Roseline demote herself in front of her entire class?” 

“I don’t know… It’s freaking everyone out apparently. I’m spooked too.”

 

Peeking behind one of the bookshelves, he wondered what was Roseline’s new plan of attack was considering how she was changing tactics. He bet everyone was asking the same thing – what exactly was Roseline’s motive behind her change?

Biting into his curiosity, Milo decides to have a small talk with Roseline.

“All by yourself, Eline?”

There’s clear surprise in Roseline’s eyes as she sees Milo taking a seat opposite of hers. She flashes a smile, removing her gaze to the outside world and instead makes eye contact with him.

“Yeah, I needed some time to think for myself,” she closes the book, “My mind’s been filled so I find the library a good place to… think. It’s quiet and peaceful compared to everywhere else.”

“Well, what’s on your mind?”

Though he doubted that Roseline would spare him any sort of details on her deep thinking, there wasn’t any harm in asking. Plus, this was a good chance for him to get some information – maybe he could read what her real intentions are.

“…You really do remind me of my brothers…”

“Pardon?”

“Ah, nothing. I was just thinking out loud,” her eyes look away from him for a minute, a little embarrassed she had accidentally blurted out her thoughts. “I suppose I’m just worrying over my bridal education. You are aware that the person who’s engaged to the Crown Prince has to attend extra classes on ministry affairs, financial affairs, about our allies, and how our people are currently living?”

He nods his head, wondering where this was going.

Again, her eyes continue to look away from him.

“Well… It’s just that as I was reading about our kingdom’s history in-depth, I notice how much I’m lacking. I’m surprised and disappointed at myself for knowing so little on the most important topics for our kingdom,” she lets out yet another heavy sigh, propping her elbows on the table before she rests her forehead on her hands, “I can’t believe how ignorant I used to be with such high dreams of becoming a queen. This is a disappointment.”

If Roseline was truly putting all of this as an act, Milo couldn’t tell by how good of an actor she was. He almost believed that Roseline was thinking more maturely if it wasn’t for her past actions that caused him to be skeptical of her words. Part of her really did seem as if she was disappointed in her past actions and behavior but for how long can she keep this facade of hers?

“Aren’t those classes mandatory?”

“Supposedly,” she’s not all too sure herself.

For Roseline, she couldn’t even remember when she had suddenly stopped taking those classes and even those she could remember were faint and dreamlike. The gaps and holes in her memories were making her frustrated by the day, as if there was something blocking her from accessing from remembering what she was like before she became ‘Lady Roseline the Villainess’.

As of now, the bits and pieces she can recall about anything related to the kingdom would be the bare minimum that the game had skimmed over during gameplay. Even the hardcore fan Daeyeon couldn’t find much about the kingdom as the developers hadn’t expanded the world any more than what was necessary. On Roseline’s side, there was close to nothing in exception the history books she’s read for school and even then, it wasn’t much different than what Daeyeon had known.

The worrying look in Roseline’s eyes was evident to Milo and he was taken aback by the lady’s nervous expression. She had never been the type to care about how others deemed she was ‘unfitting’ to be queen but here she was, doubting her own knowledge and how worthy she was to be standing side by side to Prince Alaric. And as much as Milo disliked her behavior towards those around her, he couldn’t help but feel sorry for her.

“Is it that worrying to you?” he asked.

She nods her head in a sad manner, “It’s been my main concern for a while now. I’ve been trying to educate myself but it’s rather difficult than I imagined.”

At her confession, he finally looks down at the title of the book she had been reading. It was one of the more difficult books that explained the kingdom’s history in a detailed manner. This particular book wouldn’t be the best choice considering how lengthy the author’s words were when they could have made the points shorter and still keep the meaning clear as well as how controversial some of their points were.

He stands up quietly, heading towards a bookshelf while Roseline thought he was just leaving her alone to continue with her reading. She proceeds to open her book again, flipping through the pages absentmindedly. She’s only able to read a few lines until Milo returns with a few books in his arms. He takes up the seat next to her, placing the books in front of her while taking away the one she was currently holding.

“I suggest you start with these books first,” he points them out, “They cover the history of the kingdom in a better manner than the book you just picked out – that author is more biased towards our kingdom and often paints out that our ‘enemies’ were always to one to start wars. These authors are more rational and unbiased so you’ll get a better perspective.”

She opens but Milo continues on.

“These books cover the founding of the Holy Church and how the kingdom came to be as well. As you know, our kingdom is the only place where we have Healers – you can’t find them in neighboring kingdoms,” he points at one of the books in the pile, “This one will mention on the two families where Healers hail from such as who was the first one to be blessed with such magic.”

Milo looks at Roseline and looks back at the books, “I can only let you borrow these for now since I doubt you can carry all of these by yourself. I’m usually free at the library so if you’d like, you can come by and ask me if you happen to stumble on anything that’s confusing for you.”

He wasn’t sure himself as to why he was acting so helpful to Roseline but he chalked it up as pity for Roseline. With so much anger in her in the past, he always had a suspicion that something must have happened in her life for her to become so bitter. And now, perhaps Roseline had finally come to peace with it hence the sudden change she was showing. Or this all could just be fake – either way, Milo was determined to get to the bottom of his suspicions.

With this method, he could at least keep an eye on Roseline and he was sure to watch as this mask of hers was to crumble with time.

“Thank you, Milo,” the bell rings just as Roseline packs some of the books in her bag while she carries the rest in her arms, “Then, I’ll be in your care.”

But the genuine smile on her lips as she leaves makes him have a tiny bit of hope that this new Roseline was here to stay.

 

 

After finishing most of her classes for the day, Roseline thought she would just head straight back to her room to start reading on the books that Milo had recommended. Plus, the weight of these heavy books were beginning to weigh her down. She doesn’t make it that far though as a group of girls block her path towards the dorms.

“Lady Roseline, it would be a great pleasure if you were to join me for tea.”

The first one to speak as well as the girl that was at the very front was none other than Lady Esther Solene Lucroy, the daughter of Marquees Edmond Leve Lucroy. She had been following Roseline around since they were kids and Roseline had once referred to Esther as a loyal follower. In the Rose Club, Esther is dubbed as their supposed leader just to show how much she allegedly admires Roseline.

Looking through Daeyeon’s memories, Esther is dubbed as a side character that usually appears with Roseline during gameplays and is one of the opponents during ‘Battle Events’. She’s a mediocre water user who Daeyeon had a breeze defeating since her battle was at the earlier parts of the game.

As much as Roseline wanted to avoid meeting with the Rose Club, she had long neglected them. If she were to ignore or decline a personal invite, it wouldn’t do her much good as they would only continue inviting her. So, Roseline nods her head as the girls escorted her towards their usual room – The Rose Room.  

Roseline cringed at the name of the room. Although it was one of the many rooms in the academy that could be used by student

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter