A Perfect Memory

The Jung Family Holiday Stories
Please log in to read the full chapter

“Do you have the camera.”Jaejoong asked. "Yup." Yunho nodded.

“Is it completely charged?”

“Yep.”

“There’s space on it, right?”

“Yep, it’s a brand-new camera. Pretty sure it hasn’t been used.” Yunho said. Jaejoong looked at him. Yunho smiled cheekily. “Do you have the roses?” Jaejoong continued his questioning.

“Yes.”

“You have all four?”

“Yesss~, Why do we need four?”

“One for Jongin, one for Jaehyun, one for Daehyun, and one for Youngjae.” Jaejoong answered. “Youngjae?” Yunho questioned. Jaejoong nodded. “His parents won’t be able to make the play, so I figured we get him a little something.” Jaejoong explained.

“I’m lucky to have such a thoughtful husband.” Yunho kissed his husband’s cheek. “Anyone would do that.” Jaejoong brushed off. “Anyway, we need to go. Heechul is already there and managed to get seats in the front row. He’s saving our spots now.” Jaejoong said, already heading to the car.

“Heechul got there early?” Yunho questioned a bit surprised. “Don’t be so surprised. When it comes to any performances or award ceremonies that Jongin has, Heechul is always early to get the best seats.” Jaejoong explained. “Is that why you weren’t freaking out about getting there early? Because you knew Heechul was already there?” Yunho questioned. Jaejoong shrugged, more or less.” He said, entering the car first.

 

They arrived at the performing arts center 20 minutes later. Just as Jaejoong said, Heechul was sat in the front now of the center section with two empty seats to his right. “Finally, you two are here. I almost got into a fight with 2 pissy moms, because they wanted your seats.” Heechul greeted them. “Sorry.” Jaejoong apologized.

Jaejoong’s face lit up when his eyes landed on his niece who was sat on Hangeng’s lap. “Dahye!” He squealed, stretching his arms out. The toddler’s face lit up at the sight of her uncle. “Jaejae!” Hangeng reached over and handed his daughter to Jaejoong. “How’s my little angel?” He cooed.

“What play is this again?” Yunho asked while Jaejoong cooed and gawked over their niece. “A Christmas Carol.” Hangeng answered, flipping through the pamphlet. “Ah yeah.” Yunho nodded, remembering now.

“Jongin is playing the ghost of Christmas present and his friend Kyungsoo is playing the lead role of Scrooge himself.” Heechul said, setting up his camera. “What roles are Daehyun and Jaehyun playing?” Hangeng asked. Yunho paused. “Um…” he thought hard to himself, despite not having any idea of what his sons were playing. Heechul shook his head in disapproval, noticing this.

“Daehyun is playing Bob Crachit, Tiny Tim’s father, who is actually played by his friend Youngjae. And Jaehyun is just playing as one of the kids that play around, since he’s one of the youngest members.” Jaejoong answered. He sent a quick glare to Yunho before turning back his attention to his adorable niece.

A sly grin spread across Heechul’s lips as he leaned forward. “hey Yunho. Remember when you were in a play back in High school? When was it? Weren’t you a senior then? Ah yeah. I left my college campus to see it.” He grinned deviously. “I knew you were going to bring that up.” Yunho rolled his eyes. Jaejoong couldn’t help but chuckle, sharing Heechul’s amusement. “It was kinda funny.” He admitted. Yunho groaned in response, “Don’t remind me please.”

Heechul and Jaejoong snickered to themselves. “you know he did it to impress you, right?” Heechul nudged his younger brother. “Nuh uh.” Jaejoong said, surprised by the new information. “Mm hm, he wanted to do something for you for Christmas, and I told him how much you loved the nutcracker and told him you’d completely fall for him if he performed in a play.” Heechul explained.

Jaejoong laughed at this. “I was joking, but he actually auditioned for one.” Heechul said, surprised himself. “But he ended up auditioning for the ballet.” The two laughed harder at the mistake.

“It was a disaster. He didn’t even know ballet.” Heechul continued. He and Jaejoong continued to laugh harder at the memory. Yunho’s cheeks burned red in embarrassment. Dahye sat on Jaejoong’s lap, laughing along with her uncle and father for no apparent reason.

“I swear, they only gave him the part because he was good looking.” Heechul said, wiping away a tear.

“I would’ve preferred not to have re-lived that memory.” Yunho muttered. Jaejoong turned to his husband. “The idea was cute and even sweeter now that I know the reason.” He smiled, caressing the younger’s silk brown hair. “And I thoroughly enjoyed it.” He whispered in his ear. “Don’t do that. You’ll start giving me thoughts I shouldn’t be having at a children’s play.” Yunho whispered back. Jaejoong shook his head before playfully hitting the younger.

 

The play didn’t begin until another 15 minutes later. Johnny stepped onto the stage and began the narration of the play. Then Jaehyun and two other boys stepped onto the stage and did their parts, followed by a young girl who sang and spoke to them. The scene then switched to scrooge in his shop.

“Bells.” Kyungsoo stomped in irritation, “Is it necessary to always have bells? Crachit!” he called.

“Yes sir?” Daehyun stumbled into the room. “The bell fool! Go answer it.” Kyungsoo ordered. “Yes, sir.” Daehyun ran to the entrance.

 

“Are you recording?” Jaejoong whispered. “Yes.” Yunho answered. “Are you sure it’s on?” “yep. The red light is on.” Yunho assured. “Good.” Jaejoong smiled. He shuffled uncomfortably in his seat and watched the play, a smile glued to his face. Yunho silently chuckled, shaking his head.

 

“You see, what you will see, scrooge, no more. Will you walk out with me this Christmas Eve?” Jongin smiled. “But I’m not dressed yet.” Kyungsoo said. “Take my hand. We’re leaving.” Jongin held out his hand. “Wait!” Kyungsoo panicked. “What is it now?” “You said you’re the ghost of Christmas present?” Kyungsoo questioned. Jongin ginned widely, “I did”

 

The Kim and Jung family watched the play with much anticipation, immersed in their children’s performances. “I didn’t know a Christmas Carol was also a musical.” Yunho said, during intermission. Both Heechul and Jaejoong shook their heads. “I’m pretty sure that you didn’t know the Nutcracker was also a ballet.” Heechul smirked teasingly. Yunho only scoffed at him.

“The play is really good.” Hangeng commented. Jaejoong nodded in agreement. “Al of the kids can act and sing well.”

“Why do I feel like you’re only talking about your kids.” Heechul remarked. “Tch, please. I bet the only person you’ve been watching this whole time was Jongin.” Jaejoong retorted. “And Kyungsoo.” Heechul added. “His acting is great, and his singing is amazing. If he goes into the entertainment industry, he’ll be huge. I think I might adopt him.” Heechul went on. “He has a family.” Jaejoong reminded.

“You’re right. That is an issue.” Heechul said in thought.

Hangeng, Jaejoong, and Yunho shook their heads, wishing that he was joking. But they knew better.

It wasn’t long before the lights dimmed again, cameras , and the play began again.

 

“…Tim! He must sing, dear. There is nothing else that might make him well.” Daehyun told his on stage wife. “Yes father?” Youngjae appeared on stage. “Are you awake?” Daehyun questioned. “Just a little.” Youngjae answered. “A song then! That’s what you need.” Daehyun perked. On that note the three broke out into song.

After the song they sat around the dinner table and ate the little food they had, laughing and chatting. Kyungsoo and Jongin then returned to the stage. “Spirit…I-I have seen enough.” Kyungsoo looked to Youngjae with sorrowful eyes. “Tiny Tim…will he live?” “He is very ill. Even a song can’ keep him whole through winter.” Jongin answered.

 

The families watched the rest of the play in silence. Both enthralled and captivated by the young children’s performance. No one made a sound until the end of the play, in which everyone stood up and gave them a round of applause. All the children gathered in stage and bowed a few times before walking off. The families scurried out the theater to met and greet their little performers.

 

“You boys did so good!” Jaejoong exclaimed, squeezing his sons into a hug as soon as he spotted them. “And you did amazing Youngjae.” Jaejoong pulled the -year-old into a tight hug as well. Youngjae was taken by surprise by the action, but a large smile overtook his lips, “Thank you.” He thanked.

“You guys did so good that I think you deserve these.” Jaejoong said, handing theme ach a rose. “I gave one to Jongin too when we saw him. I wish I thought of getting Kyungsoo one, he did really good too.” Jaejoong pouted.

“H-Hi Jaehyun.” Taeyong walked up to the group. Jaehyun jumped in surprise. “Taeyong! You came!” He beamed. Taeyong blushed at the sudden outburst. He rubbed the back of his head nervously. “Y-Yeh. You did really good.” He complimented. “Thank you.” Jaehyun smiled. “How come you didn’t join the

Please log in to read the full chapter