Chapter 3: Wood You Kindly Do This Mission?

Law of the Jungle: IZ*ONE Edition
Please log in to read the full chapter

Eunbi seriously needed to find a way to control the maknae line and the 1999z line.

 

Somehow, in the twenty minutes they spent in the Tool Gallery, Yena, Hyewon, and the others managed to pierce the wall with a fishing spear, dig a hole in the concrete floor, snap a fishing rod in half, lose the batteries for two flashlights, almost start five fires, and tangle a bunch of fishing lines. Yena and Hyewon didn’t even seem to care that Yujin and Nako were copying everything they did, thinking that it was okay to make a mess.

 

And Minjoo was stuck in between them, trying to clean up the mess that they had made. However, she was the one who tangled fishing lines. On accident, of course.

 

“Unnie, I’m sorry…. I didn’t mean to mess up the fishing line.”

 

“Minjoo gaddo~” Chaeyeon teased as she walked by. Minjoo hung her head in response

 

“I’m kidding. I know it was an accident. Our Minjoo would never do that on purpose,” the dancer hugged the younger girl.

 

The visual hugged her back and whispered, “I know you’re kidding, unnie, but I think you might want to let go before Sakura unnie kills us both.”

 

Eunbi shook her head and pushed Chaeyeon towards a certain cherry blossom before she could inquire about Minjoo’s statement.

 

“Minjoo-yah,” the leader started, patting the younger’s head, “Don’t worry about it, okay?”

 

“Yes, unnie.”

 

She doesn’t just need to find a way to control them. She needed to reconsider her life choices too. As of right now, she was busy making sure that Yena doesn’t stab herself and Yujin with the knives, all the while on the other side Hyewon was comparing fishing rods by waving them around.

 

After what seemed like centuries, their instructor entered.

 

“Looks like you guys had fun!” she exclaimed, not caring about the chaos that ensued in these walls. “Well, I’m done setting up so come on and follow me.”

 

When they came back to the Jungle Field, they were met with a lot of bamboo and sticks. There were a vast amount of bamboo sticks and logs standing upright, and there were also stacks of them put aside. Off to the side was a table with a lot of hatchets, saws, and large kukri knives.

 

“You see that there are a metric ton of wood and a table filled with tools. So- you!” Instructor M pointed at Yuijn.

 

The puppy yelped, “Yes ma’am!”

 

“What are we learning today?”

 

Yujin gulped, she wasn’t paying attention at all.

 

“We- uh. We are doing stuff?”

 

Instructor M tilted her head, “Was that a question or an answer?”

 

The person next to her, Minjoo, pulled on her hand to get her attention. “Yuding, we’re chopping wood,” she whispered.

 

Yujin’s eyes twinkled, and she interlocked her fingers with the visual’s as thanks.

 

“Ma’am we are chopping wood today!” she excitedly yelled.

 

The instructor seemed to be a bit suspicious, but she let it go.

 

“Yes, we will chop stuff today with these tools on the table. This is a basic skill that all of you will need to know if you want to survive in the jungle.”

 

Everyone listened along attentively and nodded when it seemed appropriate.

 

“There are different tools that you can use to cut down small trees effectively, and I will demonstrate to you how to use them all. Let’s start with…” Instructor M walked over to the table and picked something up, “the saw.”

 

She padded back to the group and presented the item in her grasp, “This is a handsaw, and it usually used for pruning but you can cut thick branches with this. And if you can cut thick branches, then you can easily cut thinner trees. Now, I’ll show you how to handle and use it properly.”

 

She crouched down in front of an upright bamboo stick and held it. Her hold on the saw was firm yet relaxed as if she had been doing this all her life. Her hand moved back and forth at a steady pace.

 

“Before you even get to cutting, you need to make sure your grip on it isn’t too hard. But it also can’t be too relaxed. There must be a balance,” Instructor M explained while sawing. “Make sure you don’t start too fast as the saw could go off the wood and on you instead.”

 

The momentum of her cutting got faster as she got closer to the middle of the bamboo. In about a minute or two, she cut the bamboo stick. It fell with a big clunk.

 

“There!” she jumped up and dusted her pants. “Now, who wants to try?”

 

Chaeyeon, Eunbi, and Yena raised their hands, and no one was surprised. Those three were hailed as the strongest people in the group, especially since they made it into the top twelve of the punching game during Produce48.

 

“Oh wow! Strong people are volunteering!” Nako exclaimed.

 

Instructor M chuckled, “Oh really? Just so you know, pure strength doesn’t cut wood.”

 

“We’re just trying it out, instructor. Plus, we need to know who’s the best for what,” Chaeyeon said, grabbing the saw that their instructor was offering.

 

“You have a point there. Try it on the logs first because they’re a little easier to cut than bamboo.” Instructor M grabbed two more saws from the table and handed them to the other volunteers. “Just be careful, guys. I don’t wanna have to make an injury report to the higher-ups.”

 

The three girls headed to the upright logs and got to work. They practically finished their logs in a matter of minutes.

 

Instructor M was genuinely happy at the fact that her students managed to pick up on it so quickly, “You guys have a knack for cutting down small trees, eh?”

 

Their instructor turned to the rest of the group, “Alright, I’ll teach you guys how to use the kukri knife and the hatchet because they’re both pretty much the same thing. With these, you hack at the tree.”

 

After they learned about the tools, they were released to test out which item they liked the most. Some of them preferred a certain tool, while others didn’t care as long as it got the job done.

 

After fifteen minutes, Instructor M made them regroup.

 

“Since you guys seemed to have gotten used to cutting down trees, so I’ll give you guys your first mission.”

 

“First mission?”

 

“Yep! Your first mission will be to chop all of the upright logs and bamboo, and then carry them over there,” she pointed at the X on the floor a few feet away from the door. That X was at least seven meters away from where the logs were.

 

“Heh! Should be easy,” Yena laughed. “I bet I could carry one on each shoulder,” she boasted.

 

The members were feeling a little confident themselves too, but Instructor M seemed to be amused.

 

“Hmm… I wouldn’t be too sure. Anyway, if you manage to complete the mission by…. Okay, so it’s 10:35 right now. Alright, if you complete the task by noon, I will bring two whole chickens for lunch.”

 

Everyone was amazed.

 

“WHAA-- CHICKEN~”

 

“Yes, chicken. Now get to work! I’ll be back in a few.”

 

IZ*ONE scrambled around and started cutting down the bamboo and logs and moving the wood to their designated spot.

 

Two-thirds of the group decided to carry the wood to the X mark. And boy did they regret carrying two at a time.

 

“OH MY GOD, THIS IS HEAVY!” Yena screamed. “SHE WAS RIGHT.”

 

Maybe they should’

Please log in to read the full chapter