Chapter 21: Researching Recipes (Not Really)

Law of the Jungle: IZ*ONE Edition
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

“Hyewon?”

The visual looked up from her phone momentarily to search for the source of the voice. Her eyes landed on the backside of a woman who was on her handheld device, presumably, scouring the internet for jungle recipes. Hyewon focused her attention back to the game on her phone, relaxing further into the couch.

 

“Hyewon,” she repeated, this time, with a more pressing tone.

 

She quit the game and switched the screen off, “Yes, Eunbi unnie?”

 

Eunbi didn’t turn around from the kitchen counter as she addressed the younger woman, “What do you think the others are doing right now?”

 

Hyewon pondered for a bit. Most of the girls had gone out to do something, but she never really asked them what they were planning to do. However, she considered herself to be quite a smart cookie, so she could paint a general picture of what her members were doing. Eunbi, Hyewon, and Chaewon were the only ones in the dorm but the youngest of the three resorted to staying in the big shared bedroom. She muttered something about “not wanting to be the third wheel” as she entered the room and closed the door.

 

“Well, if you want my honest opinion,” the rapper started. “I think they’re either going on dates, cuddling on the couch, making out, or having se-”

 

The leader finally turned to her, her phone forgotten on the counter with her eyes wide, “Kang Hyewon! Don’t say something so vulgar!”

 

“What? You asked me, so I answered,” Hyewon shrugged, ignoring the other woman’s scolding.

 

Eunbi sighed and pinched the bridge of her nose, her attention placed on the kitchen once more, “I wanted you to answer it seriously.”

 

“Hmm, fine. I’ll give you my full analysis of-”

 

“Okay, okay, I don’t need you to recite a whole essay on me. Just give me a short and sweet but detailed summary.”

 

Hyewon stared at Eunbi blankly, “Was my previous statement not detailed?”

 

“That’s your idea of ‘detailed’?” she could hear the slight tinge of annoyance in the older woman’s voice.

 

“Fine,” Hyewon threw her hands up, even if the leader couldn’t see her. “I’ll answer seriously.”

 

“We know Chaewon is at home with us, but I bet she’s looking at pictures of Hii-chan or texting the girl right now. I think Saku-”

 

“I can hear you guys, you know!” came the voice of the subject of their discussion through the bedroom door.

 

Hyewon exhaled sharply at the interjection and continued her rambling, “Well, before that incredibly rude interruption, I was saying that Saku-chan and Chaeyeon may or may not be cuddling on the couch while watching previous Law Of The Jungle episodes, with Hitomi, probably, in the kitchen alone eating bread since the others are out.”

 

She could feel Eunbi’s eye roll even with her back turned. She could tell that her “serious” answer was not serious enough for the shorter woman.

 

The big bedroom door opened and the two women turned to see Chaewon, eyes on her phone and dressed in casual clothing, walking towards the front door.

 

“Where are you going?” Eunbi asked.

 

The woman didn’t even look up from her device, “Tomi said she wanted to go out and buy bread for when we wait at the airport.”

 

“But that’s not for another week, though,” Hyewon added.

 

Chaewon sighed, “Hitomi said she didn’t wanna be the third wheel and asked me to hang out somewhere with her because she knew I was third-wheeling too.”

 

And with that, the radish fairy exited the dorm.

 

Eunbi looked at Hyewon, confused about the whole situation that just occurred. The younger woman just smirked at her.

 

“Looks like my detailed summary was correct, maybe you shouldn’t take my answer at face value.”

 

The leader scoffed, “Yeah, yeah, just keep talking.” Eunbi turned back to the kitchen counter and began preparing the utensils and ingredients to start the recipe she found online.

 

Hyewon obliged, “I heard from Nako that she and Wonyoung would go to the park and climb trees or something like that. Yena and Yuri decided to relax after a long week in the training camp so they went to a PC bang, at least that’s what the told me.”

 

“Language, Kang.”

 

“There’s no one even here!” Hyewon whined, feigning hurt and dramatically placing her hand over her face, “It’s just us and there are no kids here. Why must you hurt me in this way?”

 

Eunbi stopped everything she was doing and faced the rapper with a panicked expression, “Wait, I’m sorry. I’m just used to saying that with the kids around when someone curses, so it just comes out of my mouth sometimes, you know? I’m sorry I didn’t mean to-”

 

“Unnie,” the younger said, “stop.”

 

The leader stopped her rambling.

 

“I know you didn’t mean to, I was just messing with you,” Hyewon smiled at her.

 

Eunbi inhaled sharply and glared at the woman, opting to not say anything else.

 

“But,” Hyewon continued, grinning now, “I think it’s really cute when you start going off on a tangent.”

 

“Wha-” the leader stuttered out. “S-shut up and continue whatever you were talking about,” she turned back to the counter and continued her work.

 

The taller of the two chuckled and continued. “Well, we only have Yujin and Minjoo to talk about, and I have a feeling that they’re talking some stuff out at someplace.”

 

“I assume you’re talking about the sudden confession of both Yujin and Yena,” Eunbi offered.

 

“Yep,” Hyewon said, popping the ‘p’, “Can’t say that I’m not surprised, though. It was bound to happen with how the way those two are.”

 

The other woman laughed, “You say that like you’re not part of the same ‘Master Memers’ group.”

 

“You got me there.”

 

After a few moments, Hyewon went back to playing on her phone and Eunbi placed her full attention on the fish and ingredients in front of her. Hyewon continued to explore the new mineshaft in the Minecraft world she shares with the Master Memers + Wonyoung. Hyewon and Yena, at first, scoured the abyss of the internet to see if they could make the server by themselves as they didn’t want to buy a Minecraft Realm yet. If they could get a shared world/server for free, then they’re sure as hell gonna try. After realizing how hard this task would be, they opted for just paying a subscription for a simple user-friendly server instead of coding for more than two hours on a computer.

 

The Master Memers + Wonyoung planned on opening the Realm to the rest of the group once they’ve established a small town of sorts with a big building to house all of the members. So after exploring the mineshaft, Hyewon went to their dedicated mine and began mining stone for the house.

 

She eventually found herself lulled by the repetitive sounds of her diamond pickaxe hacking away at the stone walls and Eunbi’s work in the kitchen. Her mind wandered to said woman, thinking about their relationship as a whole.

 

Hyewon knew for a fact that the older woman harbored some sort of romantic feelings towards her, however small that may be. To be quite frank, she wished that she was as dense as Sakura and Chaeyeon because it hurt a lot more to know that the person of your affection liked you back but was too scared or indecisive to make a move. Sure, Hyewon could be the more assertive of the two, but she was almost getting tired of it. How many times has she made moves on the leader? How many times has she not-so-subtly given out hints of wanting to start something between them?

 

Truthfully, Hyewon has thought about giving up. Why chase

Please log in to read the full chapter