Chapter 13: You're Too Tall And I'm Scared Of Heights

Law of the Jungle: IZ*ONE Edition
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

How the hell did Nako, with her short legs, end up climbing stairs to the watchtower near the dormitory building? One second, she was happily discussing with her group about getting the chance to explore the training camp, and the next second she was being dragged off by their giant maknae while she followed behind her reluctantly.

 

“So why exactly are we going up the watchtower?” asked Nako, panting.

 

Wonyoung excitedly bounded up the steps, unaware of the short girl struggling to keep up with her pace, “I want to get a bird’s eye view on the camp so I can get a layout of the land. After that, we can figure out where we want to explore next.”

 

The Japanese girl could get behind her train of thought, “Alright, I guess I could endure this physical pain for a while longer.”

 

“Don’t be so dramatic, unnie.”

 

“Me?” Nako pretended to be offended, making sure to exaggerate her movements, “Dramatic? Never.”

 

“Sure, unnie.”

 

The two girls made it to the top and Wonyoung immediately looked around her with wonder while Nako was doubled over with her hands on her knees, panting. When the small girl caught her breath and wiped her sweat, she glanced at her surroundings.

 

There was nothing cool to point out in this tower. All it had was a set of chairs and a table with maps, pens and pencils, a megaphone, a radio, and a pair of binoculars.

 

“Nako unnie, there’s something over there behind the Ocean Pool building!”

 

The older of the two grabbed the binoculars from the table and went beside the maknae. “Where is it?”

 

“Over there,” Wonyoung pointed. Nako brought up the tool to her face and pointed it to where the giant was pointing.

 

Wonyoung waited patiently for her unnie to finish looking through the binoculars before seeing what was on the other side herself. It didn’t take long for Nako to start jumping up and down with obvious excitement.

 

“What did you see? Can I see it?” Wonyoung tried her hardest not to reach out and snatch the item from the other’s hands out of respect. She knew she could easily take it from her without a problem but she didn’t want to hurt Nako’s feelings. If it was anyone else, she would’ve yeeted (this is a term she learned from the Master Memers, Eunbi was not happy at it but Hyewon was) the binoculars out of their hands in an instant.

 

Nako took her face off of the tool and held it still while beckoning Wonyoung over to look inside.

 

Wonyoung peered through the lenses and….

 

“Oh, my gay stars,” was all she said.

 

Nako nodded, “Oh my gay stars indeed.”

 

The maknae removed the binoculars, “OH THE GOOD GODS OF I.O.I PLEASE TELL ME THAT IT’S FINALLY HAPPENING.” Wonyoung then began squealing after yelling.

 

“I KNOW, I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS IS HAPPENING,” Nako quickly followed the younger down the road of excitement and bounced up and down.

 

“Eunbi unnie and Hyewon unnie are slow dancing in the garden, I’m so happy I’m shedding tears,” Wonyoung dramatically rubbed her eyes.

 

The shorter woman pretended to choke on tears, “This is so amazing, it’s like a whole K-drama.” Wonyoung didn’t mind if the shorter spoke some minor curse words because she knows that Nako sparingly swore in front of her. She only swears a lot when she’s with the Master Memers. And it’s not like she’s gonna copy everything she says.

 

“They’d make a good couple in that K-drama,” Wonyoung commented. “It would be a show I would watch the heck out of.”

 

“Eunbi unnie is such a tsundere.”

 

“What’s a tsundere?”

 

Nako spoke in a practical tone, ready to teach her dongsaeng a new term, “A tsundere is someone who is cold at first before slowly becoming warmer and friendlier overtime. The word is derived from the terms tsun tsun, meaning to turn away in disgust, and dere dere meaning to become 'lovey-dovey'.”

 

Wonyoung nodded her head, “Ah, I see now why you called her that. You are very accurate.”

 

After discussing the scene in, what appeared to be the garden, they continued to survey the camp. They saw a few classes getting instructed in an open field, and they say open field because the camp has a real field. Not the Jungle Field that’s in a dome. They have an actual field that only regular classes use. Sometimes, the girls think that their company and SBS are playing tricks on them, but nope. They actually paid the extra money so that they get proper training.

 

Eventually, they decided to just sit down on the chairs and watch the world around them. They moved two of the chairs together and settled with just talking about the things they saw. This gave Nako the time to finally think about how high up she was.

 

Nako was afraid of heights, and she has an idea why. Her acrophobia possibly developed from her short stature and her small size had given her a larger perception of the world. A regular three-story house looked normal to a person of average height, but to Nako, or anyone around her height, it appeared a lot bigger.

 

It’s a miracle that Nako followed Wonyoung up the tower. In any other circumstances (or if anyone else asked her), she would’ve run away and never looked back. She would’ve beat the out of the person if they forced her to follow them. Well, it’s too late to back down, literally, now that she’s here, but she’ll be fine as long as they don’t go any higher than this.

 

The God of Kpop was not on her side, it seems.

 

“Nako unnie,” Wonyoung pointed at something behind her, “It looks like a ladder.”

 

Nako gulped, “Oh yeah? That’s cool.” The short woman tried to wave off the younger’s comment to try and prevent any ideas from surfacing in her mind. She would not be happy if she had to go any higher.

 

Wonyoung stood up from her chair walked over to the ladder, “Aw, it’s one of those ladders that slide down, but it’s folded up and locked.”

 

The Japanese prayed to God Jihyo, barely stopping herself from getting on her knees and looking to the heavens.

 

“Oh wait, I was wrong. It’s not locked it’s just latched in place.”

 

.

 

The maknae stood on the tips of her toes and began to yank at the ladder. Nako knew that she could never escape this situation because the moment she went up the tower, she signed the paper to her death. So the only thing she could do was pace around the tower platform and do breathing exercises.

 

She may or may not have done the grave mistake of looking over the railing. The elevation of the structure was about three-and-half stories high, but it was more than enough to make Nako a little bit disoriented. Nako tried to lift her head up and away from the ground below, but instead, her eyes focused on a lone figure near the entrance of the dormitory building. It was Hitomi with her hair damp and disheveled, and she pulled out her phone. Nako was going to call out but her phone vibrated in her pocket.

 

Hitom

Please log in to read the full chapter