002

Saving Lives, Saving Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It's a common 'so sad but true' knowledge that the intern has the lowest rank in the doctorly ladder in the hospital; just above medical students. And being in one-year positions, they are often the most dispensable and insultable members of the medical staff. Yeonhee hears so many stories about the hierarchy and the autonomy is one of the many reasons for the burn-outs; how the senior doctors belittle the junior doctors, junior doctors belittle the residents and everyone humiliates the interns. Even the nurses punish the interns for refusing to help them out with difficult bloodwork. Some of her seniors in med school say that intern year is the most horrible phase of their life, and that she needs to prepare herself.

But that doesn't seem to be the case in Geomdan Seoul, because Yeonhee, fortunately, finds the nurses and senior residents are amicable. They're so supportive in providing the ideal environment for them to study, they understand that they are just a beginner in this field and are willing to help and assist every time they need help. Though the hierarchy is still strictly applicable, she doesn't need to worry about being bullied by the superiors.

But, yes, Yeonhee has prepared herself the least for the paperwork to fill out. She thinks there was a lot of paperwork in medical school, but this is just much worse. After getting all of the vitals and seeing all of the patients for the morning rounds, the nurse assistant (even to just stand there accompanying them) was all that they needed. Or so she thought, because writing down the orders really took them a long time. Yeonhee has not written many orders as a med student and her school operated on a completely different computer system, while this hospital is still utilizing handwritten orders. Although they have divided the patient charts for two, Yeonhee feels like she does almost all the work because Yixing has no idea what to write and asks so many questions for every point in the chart.

"Yeonhee, what is AFVSS?"

"Afebrile, Vital Signs Stable." Yeonhee answers shortly.

"Afebrile?"

"It means having no fever."

"Oh, right. I know I've heard it somewhere," he scratches the back of his head and Yeonhee raises her eyebrows in hearing his last sentence.

It's not that she dislikes it when he asks questions. She loves to be a help and explains everything that he needs to know, it's just that the timing is just not right. She's in a hurry writing down the orders while trying to understand some abbreviations that she sees for the first time in her life and the morning was a complete whirlwind. She's trying to focus on multitasking doing all those; going back and forth to the ICU every two hours to check on Sehun's ACS patient and doing the nurse' chores as one of them gives her a list of things to get from the supply room, or when another nurse orders her to change the IV liquid in some patients' room. And yes, she takes orders from the nurses, because back to the hierarchy rules in the hospital, interns are at the bottom rank of the social class. And just like Jongdae says, refusing the work will never be a good decision, and for the sake of her peace days in the future, she has no choice but to comply.

At least Yixing is willing to help. He's been sticking to her and follows her wherever she goes all morning. He asks questions about everything that he sees, and strangely Yeonhee finds it quite fun to answer them. It's like reviewing the material that she has learned in med school, though sometimes the question sounds really stupid that she tries to refrain from asking, "Didn't you learn this at school?".

Like seriously, Yixing mistook the tracheostomy tube as the endotracheal one that Yeonhee has to point out how different they are, in terms of shape and where to put. The way he tries to learn everything in the hospital like it's something new for him, making Yeonhee wonder how he can be accepted into this internship program because his knowledge was too basic and no better than an inexperienced second-year medical student—the one who doesn't pay attention in the class.

"Ugh, paperwork. Do I really need to see it even in my lunch?" Baekhyun grunts as he put his lunch tray on the table joining Yeonhee and Yixing at the cafeteria. Sejeong follows a second later to sit next to him.

"We have no choice, the nurses make us bring them everywhere so we can finish them right away." Yixing answers him with a shrug. He then taps Yeonhee's arm lightly before he says, "Hey, take a break. Eat your meal."

And Yeonhee only nods as she glances sideways, "Yeah, one more point." she says while memorizing the order that she placed for the patient with cardiomyopathy this morning.

"How many floor patients do you have?" Sejeong then asks.

"We got seven cases," Yixing says, which gets him another grunt from Baekhyun.

"Good for you, we got twelve! And seven of them are dying, can you imagine how we deal with it on our first day?" he whines.

"At least you still have Kim Jongdae leading the morning rounds. Oh Sehun just left us with seven patients we know nothing about because, quote," Yixing lifts his hands to form a quote mark, "He needed some bed after an eight-hour CABG surgery. How cool is that?"

"Wow, he's so cool." Sejeong comments, which Baekhyun retorts with a 'what's so cool about taking a nap?' and rolling eyes.

"Okay, you win. Rounds without a senior resident on your first day is badass." Baekhyun says again with an acknowledging nod.

Yeonhee only smiles listening to her new friends now making it like some kind of competition. She writes the last order that she remembers she has placed this morning to the same patient she was working on and reviews all the things that she has written on the chart when someone just pops out by the table's side and takes one of the charts on the pile. She doesn't need to guess who this person is seeing how Sejeong gasps in surprised and almost get choked by the food.

When she looks up, she finds Oh Sehun towering over her side, studying the patient's chart that she has written seriously. He forms a frown in his forehead when he does so. And the table turns quiet instantly with his sudden appearance that no one moves a single bit, except the changing stares among the others. They don't have to do that as a matter of factly but it seems like Sehun just has this aura that makes people literally have to stop doing everything they do just to stare at him in awe, even though he looks messy as hell.

"Are we doing it right?" Yeonhee dares herself to ask, just to break the awkward silence as Sehun flips the page to read on some of the other points on the chart.

Sehun puts down the granola bar to hold it in his hand and answers her. "You are. Good job. How's my ACS post-op?" he looks up from the paper to lay his eyes on Yeonhee and Yixing alternately.

"AFVSS." Yixing replies to him in his most assuring tone.

"Okay." Sehun nods, "So, what did you learn from the morning rounds today?" 

"I got to know what AFVSS stands for." 

Baekhyun scoffs to hear Yixing's answer and hides his laugh by clearing his throat while Yeonhee can only smile, mentally wondering, for the umpteenth time today, if Yixing is being sarcastic or genuinely proud of himself for learning the basic abbreviation. She has to admit that he has a great sense of humor, either way, it's so pleasing to hear.

Looking up again, Yeonhee finds Sehun holding back laughter and smiles softly instead. He points his protein bar to Yixing with a 'you're funny' remark before he walks away from the table.

"Take a break, finish your lunch." he halts his step to say that to her, and Yixing lifts his forefinger right away to say 'I just said that' with a confused look like Sehun just stole his line.

"He smiles." Yeonhee's eyes move from Sehun's back to Sejeong who has her both hands cupping her own cheeks while muffling a squeal. "Did you see that? He smiles. Oh my God, how can he be that ethereal."

Next to her, Baekhyun frowns and Yeonhee can't help but laugh at the scene. She won't deny that Sejeong has a point, Sehun is indeed good-looking, strikingly gorgeous even though he seems to like maintaining that antagonist look on his face. But he's tall and he has this broad shoulders that sway gracefully with each step he strides and that what makes him attractive.

"He looks popular." Yixing comments with his mouth full as he rips the chicken's thigh with his teeth. From the corner of her eyes, she sees some people—girls—say hi to him in their over-friendly tone that makes her almost cringe, she moves her eyes back to her meal and starts to dig in just to distract her attention from him.

And Sejeong rolls her eyes, "Okay, let me be nice to you since you're going to work with him for the next thirty days. It's only fair if you know one or two things about your superior." she says to Yixing.

"Alright, what's his deal?" 

"He's the 4th year resident slash the cardiothoracic fellow, and the best in his year. He actually chose the specialty in his second-year residency. They said the neuro wanted him, and still does, to be in their team because he has the most steady hands among the surgeons in the hospital, but he went straight to cardio without long consideration. He's that good that he does most of the cardiovascular and thoracic procedures to this hospital's patients for the last three years, more than the attending himself, and he's the next chief resident on the go. I heard the only reason why he's not the chief now is that because he's not the fifth year, and everybody's like, gives up to compete with him because, by all means, he's winning by default."

"How do you know that?" Yixing then asks.

"My cousin works here as an ICU nurse. She says Oh Sehun is a cold-young-blood, but he's a real deal here in the hospital."

"The rumor said he had performed a solo heart transplant surgery by keeping a beating heart in a box for almost a day after harvesting it in Hong Kong." Baekhyun adds a second later, which Yeonhee cuts in to clarify. She feels the need to tell them the truth suddenly.

"It's true, though." she chimes in.

"Huh?" Bekhyun frowns again.

"It's not a rumor. He did fly to Hong Kong himself because the cardio attending was in the US at the scheduled time, and they waited for almost 24 hours for the transplant procedure to happen because the patient got some complications that didn't allow her to be under the anesthesia. And he indeed did that solo surgery with cardio attending from another hospital for the official record's sake," she explains.

"How do you even know that?" Yixing asks the same question again, but to her now. And Yeonhee glances to the side to face him,

"I was there when he did that surgery, I watched it with the other students from med school. It's a year ago."

"Ah, I see." Yixing nods his head and gives her the look, as if he's saying something like, 'so it's the meaning of that nod?' which Yeonhee then also nods as if trying to confirm his unsaid question.

She ends up telling them about the surgery because they want some details. How it took him almost eight hours because the recipient had acute hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, and he had to be careful with his every move so that the patient wouldn't get a heart attack before the heart was removed from his body. 

Yeonhee still remembers every second that happened in that surgery. She remembered how calm Sehun was handling the stressing situation when the patient was tachycardic and almost got him a cardiac arrest. She has watched several surgeries that Sehun did, but it was the first time she grew amazed at how skillful he was despite being the youngest in the OR, but at the same time, the chief of the room himself. Sehun is not a talker when doing surgery, he doesn't listen to music and doesn't say much when fellow doctors make some conversation. He looks like having so much fun when focusing on the open heart right before his eyes. And that's exactly what she likes about him.

She's back into digging her meal when the talk about the surgery is over. The guys are now talking about the specialty that they're interested in while Yeonhee listens to them in silence and has her head roaming around the cafeteria hall when she catches this old man walking in to get himself a cup of coffee. She recognizes him right away. The last time she was here, he was the chief of the surgery department, and Yeonhee is wondering if he still serves the job even now. She looks away when the man turns his head to her direction, listening to Baekhyun rambling about the weirdest case that he's ever found while he was having his training in med school, involving a guy who was almost got himself in a sepsis after eating a spider (apparently, a poisonous one) for a challenge in youtube. Seems like no one in the table are aware of the man's presence and Yeonhee likes to keep it that way.

"What about you guys tell your weirdest case and see if you can beat mine. The winner got free lunch for a week and dinner from the three of us." Baekhyun then proposes the deal, which gets Sejeong and Yixing's deal in a second.

"Me first, me first!" Sejeong excitedly said, "I can't forget this one patient because it's really and embarrassing at the same time. So there's one young guy, he's about seventeen or eighteen, he came to the clinic and that the time there was only me and these two nurses on the shift. He had no choice to tell me that he got a toothpick in his..." she points to her lower region with her two forefingers and raising eyebrows, and get two boys 'ouch-ing' as the instant reaction. "He refused to tell me how he got the toothpick in there, insisting that he was picking his tooth and suddenly it fell in."

Sejeong gives them a knowing nod.

And Yeonhee bursts into laughter following the others, can't seem to imagine how it worked. The patient was definitely lying about it, but to actually say something like that to cover his kink, that was just blatantly stupid. She got so many stories about the weird things that patients did to themselves and tell their doctor or nurse some interesting story just because they're too embarrassed to say the truth about it. But certainly, both Yixing and Yeonhee agree than Baekhyun's story still wins it.

Then it's Yixing's turn.

"Alright, I don't know if this counts weird, but I found it quite funny. This happened when I had a summer volunteer in my town clinic in China three years ago. We have a woman came in telling us that her kid had a few random episodes of seizures. We referred them to a bigger hospital in the city, I actually went with them to see what happen. So the kid got a CAT scan, and guess what? The imaging showed that he had multiple larva cyst in his

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter