014

Saving Lives, Saving Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

All Yeonhee can do as she stands before chauffeur Park's family is holding back her tears. She doesn't say much during her trip to the mourning house, and Yixing is considerate enough not to say anything while going with her to her chauffeur's wake. He stands next to her as she makes her entrance to the mourning room, bows his back deeply with her as they pay their respect to the deceased's coffin, and rubs her back when she holds the deceased's wife to pass their condolences.

It's actually the first time she meets his family. The man did not talk much while working with her, the things he said were always short. They never talked about personal matters except for her schedules, and actually Yeonhee regrets that she never tried to get to know him more closely.

What she appreciates from Chauffeur Park was how the man always understood what she wanted. She didn't have to say anything, yet he still managed to be able to read her mood just by looking at her gestures. The man was one of a few who knew her best besides Sehun, and Yeonhee regards him as a good friend even though they never showed a close relationship like one. And now that she finally meets his family, she has no idea what to say.

His family was in Chuncheon when the incident happened, and Yeonhee was waiting for almost a day until one of his relatives came to claim him as one of the family members. And that's the last time she'd ever seen him until she meets him again on his wake. Chauffeur Park's wife keeps apologizing to her in her hysterical cry, and Yeonhee tries not to cry with her.  feels like choked, she bites her lower lip while the old woman cries her heart out.

The worse feeling about this is that she has no idea what the apologizing is for. She read the message that Chauffeur Park was addressing her, but she can't do anything to find out more why he was doing all this. Maybe this is also part of her mistakes, and although she's deathly curious, she has no right to find out what had happened.

She doesn't enjoy the food served at the funeral house. Among the people who come to mourn, Yeonhee scans her head to see if any of them she recognizes. A woman brings them two bottles of soju, but Yixing refuses it, saying that they should work immediately after this. Yeonhee forces a small smile to respond to the woman's gesture, and eats a little kimchi with her chopsticks.

"Did he tell you anything other than that he would be retiring when you talked to him a few days ago?" Yeonhee then asks. She remembered seeing Yixing talking to Chauffeur Park in the morning before taking them to the hospital.

"He didn't," Yixing answers shortly, he eats a little of the food served lazily.

"Why do you think he did this? He said he was sorry, that his sin is too big for him to live even in shame. Do you think this is related to the accident I had with my mother?"

Yixing looks up to meet her eyes, swallows his food, then shakes his head again. "I don't want to say this, Yeonhee, but have you ever thought that maybe something else is happening here?"

Yeonhee only frowns at that, and seeing her confusion, Yixing then adds. "Maybe somebody is trying to hide the truth about everything. All you know is you had an accident with your mother, but what if it's not what happened? What if..."

Yixing doesn't finish his words because, at the same time, Yeonhee spots some people that she ever wants to meet the least walking into the funeral hall. She bows her head instantly, hiding herself. Reaching out, she holds Yixing's head so he doesn't turn around to see who its is that she spots openly. It's not that Yeonhee doesn't want Yixing not to see who has just arrived, but she doesn't want her parents to recognize them among the few visitors who are still there.

"We need to leave,"

As soon as her father and his wife enter the mourning room, Yeonhee starts to move and pulls Yixing to walk following her. Her father's bodyguards recognize her when Yeonhee approaches them (she has no choice because they cover the only entrance to the funeral house), and she puts her forefinger on just to keep them shut. She walks passing them by pulling Yixing's hand with her.

They stop for a moment to write on the guest book, they had passed it to directly enter the mourning room because visitors were waiting in line at the entrance when they came earlier. She sees her father's name at the last line before she adds her name and Yixing's underneath. She takes a glance at another visitor who is writing his names in another book, and right away, when she has her eyes down to the name list of the visitors, she accidentally spots Sehun's name on it.

And she freezes for a second.

Sehun was here? She hopes that it's just another person with the same name, but she remembers that Sehun once bragged that his name is very rare in this country. Not many people named Sehun, especially in the whole Oh clan. Besides, Yeonhee recognizes Sehun's writings very well, it's just the same Sehun she has known for years. She can't be wrong.

But why was he here? Sehun knows who Chauffeur Park was, but Yeonhee doesn't know that they are close, or quite acquainted to have him here to mourn for him.

"Yeonhee?" Yixing taps her arm.

Waking up from her brief reverie, Yeonhee signs her name and immediately takes Yixing to leave the place.

They don't speak anything anymore on their way back to the hospital, but Yeonhee can't stop thinking about what Yixing said to her earlier. Has she ever thought that what happened was not really what people had told her? Of course she once thought about this. But all the evidence pointed to what she got, that her mother had an accident while she was in the car with her. And that she didn't wear a seatbelt at the time, and everything else. She doesn't have any evidence to prove otherwise.

Besides, what scenario might have happened? All her guesses were always broken by the available evidence, and that shut down all her suspicions. She can't imagine the possibility of what was happening, it was just out of her reach. And she keeps getting distracted in the hospital, until the next day, Yeonhee remembers that it's weekend already. Yixing will have his date today.

They never discuss it anymore since Yixing told her about the date a few days ago. They don't discuss it this morning at breakfast, they don't discuss it when they go doing their laundry, and it starts making her crazy for all the jealousy and curiosity.

Where are they going to go? What are they going to do? She's wondering if Yixing is the type of man who would prepare everything when going for a date, she wants to know, she wants to ask, but she's not sure she can handle the heartbreak that will come with it.

She wants to just let it go, she wants to stop thinking about this, but she can't. She can't just deny that her chest feels tight right now for the jealousy, that it hurts to think that it will be just the same as her previous love story. She hates to have a feeling to someone who she can never be with, it's just the most painful thing.

But then again, she doesn't want the history repeats for itself. It happened once because she never did anything to declare her feeling to Sehun, and she doesn't want to experience it again for the second time. If she can't tell Yixing what she feels about him, Yixing should know that she doesn't approve of the date at the very least. And she's thinking about this all afternoon. The time is ticking, but she has nothing to say to stop him. She feels so bad that she's even thinking about sabotaging Yixing from going to his date, but she can't see him having this with someone else.

Almost three o'clock, she hears Yixing coming out of the bathroom.

"Isn't it too early to get ready?" Yeonhee comes out to ask, only to have Yixing's smile as a response.

She folds her arms on her chest seeing him ignoring her question and walking to his room instead. And she's wondering if she has to stay here or do something about it.

One minute passes. Yeonhee decides to confront him.

Her heart starts beating erratically as she moves her feet to walk up to his room, she leans on the door watching him wearing a black sweater with his back to her. She tries to calm her heart first, blowing up some air before she opens ,

"Can you not go?"

Yixing turns around facing her, a bit lost at her request. His eyebrows raise.

"Can you stay and not go to her?"

It takes almost a minute for Yixing to seemingly process her words while Yeonhee waits for him to react. Another minute passes, he closes his closet's door and replies to her,

"Okay,"

Yeonhee is taken aback to the answer.

Okay? That's all? 

"Okay?" she asks again, just to make sure that she hears it right.

Yixing nods, "Okay,"

"That's all? You're not going to ask why I said that?" she questions in confusion.

Yixing raises his eyebrows again, "Do you want to tell me why you said that?" he repeats after her.

"No."

"Okay then."

She nods. "Okay,"

She turns around to leave his room and scoffs to realize how easy to talk him out with it. And of course, she can't hide her stupid smile as he walks back to her room and settles down on the bed, face down to the pillow.

It's still hard to believe that she's been worrying for nothing. She doesn't expect that Yixing would just 'okay' her that fast, not even questioning the reason why she asked him not to go or anything. But why did he do so anyway? What was he thinking to just comply with her like that? She was wondering why.

And she's still in the middle of reflecting all this when Yixing knocks on her door.

"Hey, you got anything to do tonight?" he asks once he opens the door.

Yeonhee shakes her head as a reply.

"Do you want to hang out? We can watch a movie and have dinner out."

Yeonhee pauses for a moment, and suddenly she feels bad about all this. Of course, Yixing must have prepared some things for his supposed-to-be date today, he must have booked some movie tickets, and maybe book a place for dinner. He is just that kind of a man. She feels so awful that she told Yixing to cancel it at the last minute.

"We'll be leaving in an hour, go get ready." Yixing voices again when he only sees silence in her without any sign of answering, and for that, Yeonhee gives him a short 'okay'.

Maybe feeling guilty for making Yixing cancel his date, Yeonhee doesn't talk much when getting ready. She takes a shower quickly, not too excited about choosing her outfit. She takes out skinny jeans from her wardrobe, putting on a pink turtle neck sweater and tops it with an oversized brown wool coat, looking casual effortlessly. She puts a light makeup just to make her face not look pale and then goes for a half-up ponytail in wavy hair. Despite the guilt, she still wants to look presentable in front of Yixing.

And Yixing has been waiting for her apparently, he sits on the couch watching the TV when she steps out of her room. They don't waste their time to leave immediately. Yixing puts on his leather jacket and steps in to follow Yeonhee, who puts on her white sneakers in silence at the doorway.

"You look pretty today," Yixing comments as they exit the house to the parking area.

Yeonhee scoffs hearing that, somewhat feeling the blush creeping up to her cheeks with the compliment.

"Only today?" she responds nonchalantly, trying to be cool about it.

"Don't push your luck." he sneakily replies, elbowing her waist with a cheeky smile. And Yeonhee punches his arm with that.

They don't converse anymore after that, deep in each other thought. It's snowing again outside, and Yixing drives his car slower than usual because of the snow rain and the road is getting crowded towards downtown.

Yixing turns his head several times. At first, Yeonhee thinks he's doing it to check the rearview mirror, but over time she realizes that Yixing is staring at her because he's doing it longer at the red light intersection. And she knows that the guy has something to say but holding it in for some reason. Yeonhee is wondering if they think about the same thing, that's why she then asks,

"Why did you cancel your date that easily? Is Hyoyeon sunbae okay with it?"

Yixing doesn't immediately answer the question. She hears him clearing his throat, then answers her after a few seconds later,

"I'll tell you why if you tell me your reason too,"

"Forget it then," she replies to him and looks away instantly.

"If you say so." Yixing replies to her back with another inaudible chuckle. It's silent again after that.

The CGV is quite crowded on Saturday, the sky is getting dark once they get there and Yixing prints their tickets from his pre-book order. As expected, Yixing has prepared this movie date. What a waste that he has to watch it with someone that he did not plan to spend the weekend with.

"Don't feel bad about anything," Yixing suddenly says when they enter the studio. There is still some time left until the movie starts, and he seems to decide to break the silence by talking to her.

"About what?" Yeonhee responds to him, deliberately looking clueless even though she can guess where this conversation is headed.

"About telling me to cancel the date. I never said yes to it anyway."

And she's taken aback again by the information. What does he mean by this? She thought he agreed to go to the date, and now he says he didn't? What's going on here?

"Hyoyeon sunbae is a nice woman, and I do like her," he explains as Yeonhee stares at him in confusion, "But I don't like her that way. And I don't want to give her the impression that I agreed for going on a date because she's our senior, I think it's just not right."

She frowns, still fails to understand the meaning of all this. "But she's a nice woman, why won't you like her that way?"

Yixing shrugs and turns his head sideways to give her a glance, "She's simply not my type. And I don't go for a date a girl who's not my type, I might give her an unnecessary false hope. It's bothersome."

"Then what are we doing here?"

Yixing gives her another glance, let out a chuckle to see the clear confusion look on her face and raises his eyebrows.

"That, Yeonhee, is whatever you want this to be. If you think it's a date, so date it is."

"But you said you don't go for a date ..." she stops talking suddenly.

Wait, what? What is this? Why does Yixing say that? He said he doesn't date a girl who's not his type, she can't understand him now.

But, wait. He doesn't date a girl who's not his type? Does he mean that she'

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter