Taste of Success

Harmony

(Youngjae's Perspective)

 

Now Youngjae had a completely new problem that he hadn't even entertained the idea of when he'd been going over how things could possibly unfold after the plan's main phase ended!

 

It all started with the phone calls he'd missed from his umma during work that next Monday. When he called her back once his shift was done, he learned what they were about. How things went while taking Daena home. All she had based on Friday's dinner was that Youngjae was at least willing to be friendly, and the whole point of the plan had been to get her and his appa to think he'd finally found a woman he was willing to date so they'd stop trying to play matchmaker.

 

So Youngjae told her that he and Daena had decided to see where things led.

 

She was ecastatic to hear it and made sure her son knew just how enthused she was that he was 'finally out of his gay phase', as she put it. Youngjae tried not to let those words rub him the wrong way, but they were hurtful enough that he ejected himself from the phone call as fast as he could.

 

Now that he was seeing a woman in their eyes, Youngjae thought that meant things would change. Either phone calls from them would drop entirely, or they'd lessen to a manageable point and instead ask about how his wellbeing.

 

Jokes on him for thinking that! If anything, the amount of calls increased! Ever since he told his umma that he and Daena were testing the waters, Youngjae had been getting calls from her just about every other day all asking the same thing, like she expected the answer to change in such a short amount of time.

 

How are things going with Daena? How is Daena doing? Have you been treating Daena well?

 

And each time it happened, she was sure to try and suggest they all get together for dinner sometime, whether it was homemade or a restaurant reservation. Something Youngjae declined every time with various different excuses, but that didn't stop her from trying again a few days later. Youngjae was sure if he asked Daehyun to do these things, he'd try his best to be able to.

 

But not only did Youngjae not want to take advantage of his boyfriend's caring nature, Daehyun also had his own life to live and his own things to work through. He didn't need to add placating Youngjae's nosy parents into that mix! Especially since Youngjae didn't plan to, either.

 

Not more than he already had at least. With how wild they were acting at what little bit they had, Youngjae couldn't trust them with more than that. If he did, he risked them trying to rush him the way they had Youngwon and Hyunmi.

 

'Maybe this sort of thing is why my brother and his wife are so distant from the family?' Youngjae wondered. 'They didn't like how Umma and Appa nosed into their relationship business, and ignoring the family was the only way they could see to stop it?'

 

It was a shame that meant Youngjae no longer had them at his back, but if his concern at them being rushed into their wedding sat wrong with them to the point he was also lumped into the ignore list, then that was their choice. It didn't change the fact that he hoped whatever life they were leading now was a good one, whether they lasted or split. And if it was the latter, he hoped they were still able to be friends with each other.

 

There was a silver lining with this new development in that it had become way easier to end a call with his umma. If he told her that Daena was calling, or that he was on a date with Daena, she immediately hung up with the wish that things went well!

 

A bummed kind of feeling washed over Youngjae after these quick calls, but he didn't get why he was feeling that way towards something that was a technical win on his part. It was familiar in that he'd definitely felt this way before during the old type of phone calls he had with his umma. They were past that, though, so why was he still feeling like that when she called to ask how his relationship was going?

 

He wasn't sure, but Youngjae also couldn't be bothered to feel bad about his umma's behaviour and priorities! So whenever he found himself down in the dumps after a call with his umma, he took a page out of Yongguk's book of how to refocus bad feelings into good feelings and did just that. Youngjae channeled the energy from the negative emotions into doing things that brought him joy.

 

Like learning a new song on the piano or trying out different recipes!

 

When it came to piano time, Daehyun helped with that mostly. Youngjae either got his input on some new songs to try, or Daehyun would demonstrate some of the songs he used to play that Youngjae didn't know. Then Youngjae would attempt to play by ear! Or they'd sit on the bench together and learn how to play something as a duet!

 

The added benefit to such an involved piano time was that, not only did it help Youngjae feel better on those days when his umma called, it also did wonders to distract Daehyun from getting lost in his thoughts!

 

That normally only occurred once Daehyun was off work or that short bit on Fridays before had to go to work, though. And also if Daehyun hadn't made plans with Zelo prior.

 

Today was Wednesday, that one day of his where he had no time for anything outside of work. So Youngjae threw himself into baking for a while! That didn't mean he wouldn't end up at his piano later, but baking was another one of his favourite past times that he didn't do outside of work as much as he'd like.

 

At current, Youngjae was waiting for some strawberry muffins to finish baking in the oven He'd been fiddling with this particular recipe for a bit now, and today's attempt was promising so far! Unlike his earlier attempts at the start of May...

 

'Kudos to Jongup and Zelo for putting up with being my guinea pigs for this experiment of mine!'

 

The experiment was to see if he could make a baked good that was palatable to Daehyun. He'd admitted to being able to handle sweet flavours the best so long as the flavour wasn't rich. He also said he preferred the natural sweetness of fruits like strawberries over the sweetness that came from sugars and chocolates.

 

Youngjae was definitely more accustomed to baking with the latter, so fruity desserts and baked goods were a new territory. Muffins were familiar, though, and they had fruity variants. So he decided upon those first before branching out into the less familiar things.

 

Youngjae enlisted Jongup's and Zelo's help for multiple reasons.

 

One, Zelo had a better understanding of what Daehyun's taste buds could handle than Youngjae did. Getting a thumbs up from him would mean he believed it safe for his best friend to consume.

 

Two, Jongup didn't like sweets. So if Youngjae could make something classified as a sweet that Jongup liked, then that meant it would probably settle on Daehyun's taste buds better.

 

Three, the consequences of failure to those two were less than the consequences of failure to Daehyun. Zelo and Jongup would just either give a thumbs down or say it was bad, and Youngjae would go back to the drawing board. But the fact that it would physically hurt Daehyun was why he was going to such efforts to alter his cooking habits! Both with baking, and other types of dishes!

 

So far, Youngjae's baking experiment hadn't succeeded. But every failure was a learning experience! Besides, throwing himself into this was another way to easily banish the bad feelings that came from those calls with his umma.

 

Youngjae lounged about on the couch, waiting for the timer he'd set to go off while on the phone with Jaebeom. Of course he shared with his best friend about the call that had sent him into recipe testing today.

 

“Well, if it makes you feel any better, she's hounding me about it too,” he offered amusedly.

 

Youngjae squinted at nothing in particular, but if Jaebeom were here, it'd be directed right at him. “Why would that make me feel better?”

 

“Because you're not alone in it?” Jaebeom answered confusedly, but also like it was obvious. “At least you don't have her on your back about giving her Daena's number! Despite me telling her that Daena's real stingy about who she gives her number to, and also that she hadn't made a good impression on my friend with what happened at dinner.”

 

“Maybe it's that latter thing that has her trying so hard to set something up again...”

 

There was a troubled hum from Jaebeom's side of the phone. “I hope not, my dear. But if it is, she's not going to be able to crack us. We're too damn stubborn!” Youngjae snorted in amusement, but then he heard someone else say something he couldn't make out on Jaebeom's side of the call. To which Jaebeom responded, “It's a good quality to have! ...Most of the time.”

 

“Jaebeom, who are you with?” Youngjae questioned. “I thought you'd be home alone since you had to take off work.”

 

He chuckled nervously. “Oh uh, I am at home... Since my roommates are off doing their own things, Jinyoung dropped by to help me out.”

 

“That's sweet of him.”

 

Jaebeom's knee must have been hurting pretty bad today if he not only called off work, but also needed help around the house. He was normally too prideful to accept that help, so Jinyoung just got some approval points from Youngjae! Now if only he could meet the guy that could get Jaebeom to set aside his pride...

 

“It is!” Youngjae could hear the grin in Jaebeom's words, and he waited a few beats before speaking again, a bit quieter. “Because I'm sure you're wondering, yes I have spoken with him about meeting you.”

 

“The verdict?” Youngjae heaved himself off the couch with a grunt since the timer he set on his phone was about to go off. Rather than let that piercing noise go through into the call, he just dismissed the timer as he wandered into the kitchen to fetch the muffins from the oven.

 

“He's uh... not ready for it yet,” Jaebeom answered hesitantly.

 

“That's fine.” With one hand covered with an oven mitt, Youngjae got the muffins out and set them on the stove while his other hand was kept occupied holding the phone to his ear. “I'm not going to force you to introduce me to your boyfriend, especially if he's not comfortable with it.”

 

“I mean, I know that. Jinyoung was just worried that you'd be less okay with it since we pinky promised it and all.”

 

“I'll still hold you to that promise, but not to the point that I'm going to trample over your boyfriend's comfort, you know?” After toothpicking each muffin and deeming them done enough, Youngjae switched off the oven and leaned against the counter, waiting for them to cool a bit before doing his taste test to determine whether it was a batch worth getting added input on. “Just because you're ready for that kind of thing doesn't mean he is. And he shouldn't be expected to.”

 

“Yeah, I get that. And he'll appreciate hearing that too,” Jaebeom responded. “I'm sure that me meeting Daehyun probably didn't happen the way you wanted it to and was definitely out of your control, so... thanks for not doing the same to me?”

 

“You're... welcome?” Youngjae said, definitely confused on why he was being thanked. “You're not wrong in saying that things didn't happen the way I would've preferred, but... I don't think it happened in a bad way.” Yeah, it was outside of their control, but Daehyun being able to meet Jaebeom without Jaebeom knowing it was him allowed him to come to his own conclusion without the pressure of being in a meeting with Youngjae's best friend.

 

“I'm glad to hear it,” Jaebeom sighed in relief. Then he switched into a teasing tone. “Hey, once Jinyoung is ready to meet you, what would you say to a double date?”

 

“Ugh, I can practically see the eyebrow wiggle you just did, you nerd!”

 

He let out a hearty laugh. “You know it! So what do you say?”

 

“I'm not opposed to it,” Youngjae answered. “I'd just need to ask Daehyun how he'd feel about it.”

 

“That's fair, and it may be a while. So you don't have to worry about that quite yet,” he declared. “Well, I'm about to have to take a pretty arduous walk to the bathroom, so I'm gonna let you go. Have a good rest of your day, my dear!”

 

“You too.”

 

After slipping his phone into his pocket, Youngjae did his taste test and determined this back was a good enough contender for success! Not a super crumbly consistency, not overwhelmingly sweet and instead just sweet enough for a pleasant mouth experience...

 

All he needed to do was pack a few and get some second opinions!

 

So with two of the remaining five muffins sealed in a container for easy transport, Youngjae trekked from the bottom floor up to the top floor. The muffled music coming from the other side of the door was immediately muted after he knocked, and the door creaked open to the point that only Jongup's face was visible.

 

“Oh, hey Youngjae hyung!” he greeted brightly, swinging the door open the rest of the way. “Come on in!” After he'd shut the door behind him, and after Youngjae did the obligatory nose mole poke and amusedly watched Jongup's face contort around to get his skin feeling right again, his eyes fell onto the transparent container in my hands. “So you need taste testers again?”

 

“Yeah, but like... I'm also not opposed to hanging out, you know.”

 

Jongup chuckled a bit as he took the container from Youngjae's hands and cracked the lid open. “I'm not either, but I've actually got plans this afternoon and was going to be leaving soon, and Zelo's out with some classmates.”

 

“That's fine. We can hang out another time.”

 

“I didn't say I had to leave right now,” he said. His nose wiggled as he sniffed the muffin he grabbed. Then with a shrug, he took a bite.

 

Youngjae couldn't tell whether the way Jongup's face moved while he chewed was a good sign or a bad sign. What he took as a good sign was the sight of Jongup shoving the entire rest of the muffin into his mouth! With a very intense squint, so maybe it was a bad sign?

 

It took Jongup a bit to finish that large mouthful. When Youngjae was sure he'd get a response, he asked, “So uh... what do you think?”

 

He hummed to himself while he determined his verdict. “I still don't like them, but it's the best tasting you've given me so far.”

 

Youngjae grumbled a bit to himself, working through the recipe in his head. “What exactly is it you don't like about them? Are they still too sweet?”

 

Jongup poked his lips out while he glanced up, like he was looking in his brain for the answer. “I don't think it's a problem with the recipe,” he said slowly.

 

“Then what is it?”

 

He let out an awkward little chuckle and rubbed the back of his head. “I don't like strawberries,” he admitted with a smile. “If these were blueberry muffins, I'd think they were really good! It's just the fact that they're strawberry.” He gently sealed up the container and set it on the counter. “I can leave a little note for Zelo to eat his muffin and get back to you if you'd like?”

 

“That'd be great,” Youngjae answered, relieved that the problem was less the muffin recipe and more the fruit choice. “I'll make you some blueberry muffins with this recipe as thanks for your help.”

 

“Really?”

 

“Yes, really.”

 

“Thanks, Youngjae hyung!” Jongup clapped his hands together and beamed like a child being told they were going to the toy store. 'How is this man only a year younger than me...?'

 

“Should I get going now?” he wondered. “You did say you needed to be leaving soon, after all. Where are you even going?”

 

“Out with Hyunsik.”

 

Youngjae made a noise in understanding. “Hyunsik, huh,” he sighed, once again reminded of how Hyunsik had ignored him since December. He was still curious, though. “How's he been doing?”

 

Jongup squinted and hummed in a troubled manner. Then he nodded to himself. “I... guess it's safe to tell you,” he decided. “He's going through a pretty nasty break up right now.”

 

He didn't exactly know what to say, so Youngjae settled for, “That's rough.”

 

Personally, Youngjae didn't think 'rough' began to scratch the surface. Four years was a long time to be exclusive with someone just to have things end up not working out and have that end be described as 'nasty'. Sure, Youngjae's had some pretty rough breakups since he started dating, for various reasons but most were due to how easily he formed an attachment to partners, but he wouldn't describe any of them as 'nasty'.

 

Heartbreaking? Absolutely! Nasty? Negatory! In fact, the closest he knew of a bad breakup was Daehyun's admittance that his breakup with his ex girlfriend after learning of her infidelity wasn't too smooth, and that was putting it nicely! Youngjae might not have the details, but Daehyun saying that she tried to convince him that he'd made it up clued Youngjae in that Daehyun's ex was the manipulative type who'd go to drastic measures to make sure things went her way.

 

Definitely a nasty piece of work, and Youngjae didn't just think that because he was one of the ones helping to pick up Daehyun's pieces!

 

Youngjae didn't know what type of woman Hyunsik's now ex was, how their breakup came to be, or what 'nasty' meant to either of them. It could range anywhere from badmouthing because things were no longer picture perfect, to financial and housing troubles, or to the devastation of cheating and misplaced trust.

 

“Nasty how?” he inquired, narrowing his eyes at his friend slightly.

 

Jongup shrugged. “I dunno. He just says 'she's lost her damn mind' and gets all mopey before he starts talking about something completely different,” he responded. “I don't know enough about romantic relationships to help him with that, but at least I can help in other ways! I'm supposed to be helping him move out and back into his parents' place next week.”

 

“Do you think he'll need any extra help with that? So long as it's after I get off work, I can give a hand if he needs it,” Youngjae offered. Hyunsik may not have spoken to him once since he moved out, but if he needed the extra help, Youngjae wasn't about to turn a blind eye out of pettiness.

 

With a little hum, Jongup shrugged again. “I can ask, but I wouldn't count on it being a yes,” he responded slowly. “He's only told his parents and me, and he also asked me not to tell Zelo or get his help. But he never said anything about you, which is why I decided it would be safe to tell you! So... I'd appreciate it if you kept this on the down low?”

 

“I can do that,” Youngjae assured. “Why doesn't he want Zelo to know, though?”

 

“Because he's not ready to put up with Zelo's dramatics,” Jongup sighed. “He does plan on telling him eventually, just... not yet. He wants to get settled first.” Youngjae made a noise to indicate he'd heard and registered the words. Then Jongup's phone buzzed a message, and he glanced at the screen. “Speaking of... It's about time I head out. I'll just send Zelo a message to tell him to eat the muffin and tell you his thoughts whenever he gets back, okay?”

 

“Got it. Send my regards to Hyunsik, yeah?”

 

A few hours later, right when Youngjae was cleaning up after dinner, he got the thumbs up confirmation from Zelo in the form of him knocking on the door and asking for more. He further explained that it reminded him of the muffins he and his umma would make on the weekends Daehyun was able to stay the night.

 

Because of this, the small batch Youngjae made hadn't lasted, but at least he had the recipe written down so he could make more at a later date!

 

--

A/N:

Howdy folks! So I wanted to get this chapter done in time to post on my birthday (which I'm doing right now!) but I have no idea what plans other people have for me today, so uh.... it remains to be seen on whether or not I should've stayed up until 5:30 AM just to make sure I got this chapter posted. But it's fine, the world's a mess and time's an illusion! Stay safe, y'all!