Birthday Gay

Harmony

(Youngjae's Perspective)

 

'Happy birthday to me, the luckiest man in the world!'

 

Well, maybe Youngjae wasn't the luckiest person in the world. His parents didn't care about his feelings and he was in a noisy apartment complex when he'd much prefer living in a quiet suburb. But he felt pretty good about himself! He had a place to live, he got to do the things he wanted, he had wonderful friends who always had his back, as well as a boyfriend who was actually into him.

 

So the pros outweigh the cons!

 

After he responded to the birthday messages he'd gotten from parents and friends, he clambered out of bed a few hours later than he normally would. No work meant he was free to laze about as he pleased! It was a pajamas only kind of day until he was inevitably dragged out for a dinner celebration paid for by Jongup, as he did for all his friends on their birthdays.

 

Youngjae specifically planned Tuesday to be his day off for this winter season because that's the day his birthday fell on this year, and he never wanted to have to work on his birthday. Birthdays are a celebration of life meant to be enjoyed, and he wouldn't be able to enjoy it if he were at work! Even if he loved his baking job...

 

He plopped down on the couch with some cereal, put something on the television, and settled in for a calming few hours to himself. As calm as things could be when the neighbours were yelling and stomping around, that is. Youngjae upped the volume on the television to hopefully block that out better.

 

Daehyun, Yongguk, Jieun, and Jaebeom had work while Zelo had classes, Hyunsik was still ignoring him, and Jongup... Well, he was doing Jongup things. So the chances of anybody popping in were slim for the late morning and early afternoon. Not that friends dropping by would be a bother! In fact, that was exactly what he was waiting for!

 

It was around two-thirty in the afternoon while Youngjae was in the kitchen washing up dishes after tidying up his apartment when someone finally arrived. With a knock on the door that sounded more like a kick, Zelo sang through the door, “Happy birthday, Jae hyung!” Another kick. “You gonna let me in or what?”

 

Youngjae turned off the music station he had going on the television before swinging open the door, clicking his tongue at Zelo in mock disappointment, and waving him in. “You're later than I expected.”

 

Had to get ready, of course!” Zelo declared, twirling in place for a spin. “I couldn't come down here looking like a hot mess!”

 

Given that Zelo was decked out with his favourite blonde wig, glittery lids, and a skirt meant for twirling, he must've decided today was a girly kind of day. Fortunately, he'd forgone the heels. A familiar bracelet poked out from the sleeve hem, and Youngjae tilted his head. “You're wearing your good luck charm? Did you have a test today or something?”

 

Nah, next test isn't until the end of the week. I'm wearing it because I want good things to happen on your birthday, Jae hyung!” He spun to himself a bit with a toothy grin before extending the two bags in his hand my way. “These are for you, by the way.”

 

You got me two things?”

 

Nope. This bag is from Daehyun,” he responded, holding up one of the bags a bit higher. “He stopped by at like, o'clock while I was getting ready for classes and asked me to give it to you when I dropped by since he had work today. Now hurry up and open them, birthday !”

 

The first bag that was handed over was tagged from Zelo and had loads of multicoloured tissue paper sticking out all over the place. As Youngjae tugged them out, throwing them as best he could towards his friend, he was soon met with three different mugs also wrapped in copious amounts of tissue paper.

 

Each one earned a chuckle and a smile, accompanied with either a playful eye roll or a shake of his head.

 

First off was a mug that had a dinosaur holding a cup of tea, simply captioned 'Tea-rex'.

 

Secondly, a mug with fancy script that spelled out 'Filled with positivi-tea' with a tea leaf at the beginning and end of the phrase.

 

The third one was far more cutesy, with sparkles galore and 'What a cu-tea!' in a pastel pink font. Youngjae's immediate thought was that this one was going to be the one he gave Daehyun his tea in from here on out.

 

I was only going to get you one, but like... how could I not get them all?”

 

Youngjae gently placed each mug back in the bag for easy transport to the kitchen. “Thanks, Zelo. I guess you could say these are...” he paused for dramatic effect and smirked. “tea-riffic.”

 

Zelo snorted and applauded with two sharp claps. “Hell yeah!” he cackled, then he held extended the other bag to Youngjae. “Alright, let's see what Daehyun got you.”

 

You don't know?” Youngjae took the lighter bag after he placed the mug one on the coffee table.

 

Nope. All I know is that he was trying to decide whether or not it'd be appropriate to get you anything, and if he did, what he should get,” Zelo explained. A little huff passed his lips. “That conversation involved so much ing pacing and finger twirling and rambling that it made me feel pretty damn antsy, too.”

 

For as long as Youngjae had known him, Zelo had always been a guy who had to move at all times, like bouncing his legs while he sat or swinging from side to side while standing still. So the fact that Daehyun had been moving around so much that it made Zelo restless was saying something.

 

After he'd pulled out the few sheets of tissue paper and threw them towards Zelo, Youngjae was able to get a glimpse at what was inside. A tea pitcher and a ladle. A smile tugged at his lips, and he glanced up to see Zelo trying to get a look at what was in the bag. “Daehyun's a practical gifter, huh?”

 

“I'm not too sure? I'm surprised he decided to get you anything, if we're being honest. Which we always should be.” Zelo wasn't wrong. Honesty is the best policy, after all.

 

You're not sure? Aren't you best friends?” Youngjae grabbed the mug bag and made his way to the kitchen so he could get everything situated.

 

We are, and don't you ing doubt it for a moment, hyung,” he responded lowly as he tailed Youngjae into the kitchen.

 

I'm not doubting anything,” he assured as he delved into the bags, pulled out each item, and carefully set them on the counter.

 

Good! It's just that Daehyun-” Zelo paused as he watched Youngjae pull a giant pot of tea from the fridge and set it on the counter. “No wonder he got you a pitcher,” Zelo commented as he watched Youngjae move around the kitchen. “How'd you not have one before? You drink tea all the ing time!”

 

Youngjae shot a glare back at Zelo, who was leaning on the counter with a confused expression that mirrored the one he'd seen Daehyun with the other day when he learned the same thing. “I'm not explaining my reasoning.” Because it boiled down to the two things of having been raised that way and also thinking pitchers were just giant cups. With his new ladle in one hand and the pitcher set on the counter, he began filling it up the only way he knew how.

 

He'd probably have an aneurism watching you do this. I feel like I'm getting one over here!”

 

He shot another glare over his shoulder. “This is easier than pouring over the sink! Less chance for a mess. Now, you were saying?”

 

Zelo sighed before continuing his previous though, “It's just that, when it comes to gifting, Daehyun is... As far as I know, he's only ever given me and my umma things, and only when she helped him with mine or I helped with hers.”

 

He doesn't get anything for his parents?”

 

His parents are s! He wouldn't get them !” Zelo fumed before shoving himself off the counter. “Speaking of , I need to hit your bathroom.” With that declaration, he marched down to the bathroom and slammed the door. 'He better not actually throw punches at anything in the bathroom! If he does, he's paying for it!'

 

As Youngjae ladled the last bits of tea into the pitcher, he ruminated on the newly gained knowledge that Daehyun's parents were best described as s. Daehyun hadn't really talked about them much, only brief mentions about them sending him to medical school so he could be productive and that they weren't happy he dropped out. Other than that, it seemed like they were entirely absent from his life.

 

'Was it his parents' way of raising him that had him so quiet? With Zelo's clear distaste for them, it's a high possibility...'

 

Once he couldn't ladle anymore, Youngjae rinsed off the utensil and slowly poured the last remaining bits into the pitcher over the sink. He stared at the mostly full pitcher on the counter and was filled with the strong urge to just pick it up and chug. Chugging would probably end up horribly, so maybe just a tiny sip so he could finally know what it's like to drink from what was definitely not a giant cup?

 

Youngjae decided to go for it as well as take a picture to commemorate the occasion! He grabbed his phone and snapped a picture of him holding the pitcher by his face. Then he thought, 'Why not send it to Daehyun? He got me the pitcher, after all!' With the caption of, 'About to drink tea straight from the pitcher, wish me luck!! :)', Youngjae sent the photo message and placed his phone on the counter on the off chance that things did go wrong.

 

Then he went for it! All his childish dreams of wondering what it would be like were fulfilled in this moment! When Youngjae tipped it back just a bit more, it sloshed all over him and he panicked, which only caused him to spill more tea all over himself as well as into his mouth.

 

Too much at once! Tea spilled out of his mouth as he spluttered, scrambling to set the pitcher down so he could properly choke over the sink. In the midst of his coughing fit, Youngjae heard a quiet, “What the happened? I was gone for like, five ing minutes?”

 

Youngjae braced himself on the counter and cleared his throat to get out that choking feeling. “Poured tea all over myself,” he rasped with a few pounds to his chest to get his lungs working properly. His phone vibrated against the counter, and Youngjae read Daehyun's response of 'Good luck?'

 

Youngjae decided to give the update that he'd spilled tea all over himself before focusing on steadying his breathing.

 

How the ?” Youngjae only motioned towards the pitcher on the counter in response to his friend, and it took Zelo a full minute of staring at the container with furrowed brows to understand what I'd done. “Jae hyung, why the would you try to drink straight from the pitcher?” he asked with poorly concealed chuckles.

 

Youngjae pointed a menacing finger his way. “Don't you judge my dreams!”

 

You poured tea all over yourself like a !” he exclaimed, rubbing his temples tiredly.

 

I may have been a , but I did something I always wanted to try! So I'll take it!” He heaved himself off the counter and away from the sink since his stupidity induced coughing fit had passed, and he contemplated pouring an actual cup of tea in one of his new mugs. 'I should probably clean up the mess before I do that, though...'

 

You've always wanted to spill tea all over yourself like this?”

 

No, I've always wanted to drink from one of those giant cups,” he clarified with a cross of his arms, an action which was uncomfortable because it pressed his tea soaked shirt into both his arms and his chest. “Well, I know they're not giant cups now, but anytime I've been in a restaurant and seen the waiters carrying around those things, I've always had the thought that it'd probably be really fun to drink from.”

 

Your verdict?”

 

Youngjae shrugged. “It'd probably have been more fun if I were more careful with it.” He tore some paper towels off the roll so he could begin to sop up the mess he'd made. After he'd tossed the towels and gave himself the mental prod to change into different clothes, a rhythmic knock sounded from the door. “Must be Jongup.”

 

When he answered the door, he was correct in thinking it was Jongup! “Happy birthday, Youngjae hyung,” he cheered quietly, clapping his hands happily while he smiled so big his already thin eyes closed.

 

Thanks, Jongup.” With a poke to his nose mole, Youngjae motioned him in, chuckling at how Jongup wiggled his nose around frantically to get his skin to forget the feeling.

 

Oh, hey Jongup. Where are you taking us for food?” Zelo flipped the blonde strands from his wig out of his face and pushed himself off the counter, like he was ready to walk out that door right now. 'He needs to slow his rolls, I'm still in my tea soaked pajamas!'

 

I was thinking Shortstub's for birthdays this year,” he responded. “If we go now, we should be able to avoid the dinner crowd.”

 

So Jongup decided Shortstub's was the birthday restaurant this year? How in the world would Youngjae be able to focus on eating if he was too busy trying to catch sight of Daehyun at work? Especially if Daehyun ended up being their waiter! 'Zelo and Jongup will probably tease me about being so obvious... Maybe if-'

 

Earth to Jae hyung?” Zelo waved his hand in front of his face. “Hurry up and get ready so we can go!”

 

About that...”

 

Do you not want to go?” Jongup wondered.

 

Jongup looked so worried that Youngjae was immediately spurred into responding, “That's not it at all! Can we wait a bit, though?” He hoped the smile he flashed conveyed that he was indeed looking forward to food and hanging out with friends.

 

Uh... sure? I'd recommend not long if you don't want to brave the loud dinner crowd.” Jongup looked at the scattered tissue paper all over the floor and began to pick the pieces up. 'Maybe he thinks I don't want to leave with my house being a mess like this?'

 

It'll be for...” Youngjae squinted at the clock on his wall, internally calculating the time. With how Daehyun described his schedule, he got off at 5 on days he went in at 11. If they left here at a quarter to five, they should be able to make it before Daehyun stepped out after his shift. “About two more hours? Then we can head out.”

 

Two hours? That's right when the dinner crowd first starts to hit, Youngjae hyung. Why do you want to wait that long?” He crumpled all the pieces up and slipped them into the trash can while Youngjae put the pitcher in the fridge in the place that was usually occupied by the pot of tea.

 

Before Youngjae had the chance to answer, Zelo cheerily inputted, “Oh, he wants Daehyun to eat with us!” He swelled with happiness and twirled to himself with the hem of his skirt clutched in his fingers.

 

I want to at least give him the option. I don't want him to feel left out of the celebration and like he wasn't invited just because he had work. If he declines the offer, then I'll feel better knowing I gave him the chance to join.”

 

Jongup cupped his cheeks in his palms. “Aw, that's so sweet,” he cooed.

 

He won't decline, Jae hyung. You don't have to worry about that,” Zelo assured with a snort. “In fact, he'll probably be pretty damn flattered that you thought of him.”

 

What should we do to pass the time then?” Jongup questioned, hands still pressed against his face.

 

Oh, I know!” Zelo happily exclaimed, eyes twinkling in excitement, “I'll go get one of my makeup palettes! I'm going to give you a bomb birthday look, Jae hyung! Go wash your face and get out of your soaked pajamas while I'm gone!” In a flurry of limbs, he bolted out the door, leaving Youngjae and Jongup staring at the door that had been left wide open.

 

Well, there was no sense in fighting it. Besides, letting Zelo do his thing opened the possibility of getting a compliment from Daehyun, and Youngjae was all for that!

 

A bit later, and Youngjae was all dolled up and ready to go! He felt good but also a bit nervous because being out with makeup on was a new experience for him. The three of them made it to Shortstub's right before 5, so they didn't have to wait too long before Daehyun popped out into the cold atmosphere with his hands shoved into his coat pockets.

 

Zelo caught sight of him first and dashed off as soon as he saw him. “Oppa hyung, good evening!” he called with a wave.

 

“Eh? Zelo, what are you-” Jongup and Youngjae soon joined Zelo close to the door, where Daehyun had been stopped in his tracks by his best friend approaching him from seemingly out of the blue. “Oh, you're um... not alone? Uh, h-hello.” With a tiny wave, his eyes landed on each of them for a brief moment before flickering away. “What are you guys doing here?”

 

Taking Youngjae hyung out to dinner for his birthday,” Jongup answered.

 

If you're up for it, would you like to join us?” Youngjae offered with a hopeful smile.

 

Daehyun looked between the three of them. “Are you sure that's-” His rambling was cut off by Jongup nodding at him with a grin.

 

After a pause, he nodded slightly while fighting a smile. “Then uh, yeah. I'd like to.”

 

That's great!” Zelo exclaimed, immediately flopping onto Daehyun's shoulder and hugging his arm tightly. “Glad you're joining us, oppa hyung! Let's go get some grub, hell yeah!” As fast as it happened, he released his grasp on Daehyun and pumped his fist into the air.

 

Jongup led the way since he was the one paying, and Zelo was practically glued to his side, his enthusiasm for food radiating off him in hunger inducing waves. Daehyun and Youngjae were a few steps behind.

 

Quietly, as if he didn't want to be heard by the prying ears of their friends, Daehyun said, “Happy birthday, Youngjae. You look good tonight- Well, you look good all the time, but that's- it's- you look nice.” He fiddled with his fingers in front of him, sparing a shy glance and smile that had Youngjae's heart thunking around wildly.

 

Thank you!” Youngjae brightened at the words, and he was sure the grin that spread across his face accurately portrayed that. That light hearted feeling only intensified when Daehyun swelled with accomplishment next to him.

 

'Happy birthday to me, the luckiest man in the world!'

 

--

A/N:

Howdy folks~! Y'all have a good week? I got back into Stardew Valley, so guess who's been thinking about our Fave Boys in that kind of setting? Me!