Dating Disasters

Harmony

(Youngjae's Perspective)

 

For the first time in Youngjae's life, he actually wasn't going to be alone on Valentine's Day! It wasn't something he considered to be sad, though. It was just that circumstances had never aligned for him to celebrate with a partner. As such, it had always been a him kind of day. And he always had the day off since it always fell on the same day of the week as his birthday.

 

The only time he'd been a part of the celebration was when he had to chaperone his older brother on his date with his girlfriend back when Youngjae and Jaebeom had been dating at the beginning of high school. Back then, no one but Jaebeom and Yongguk knew about Youngjae being gay, so he couldn't exactly tell his parents he wanted to spend that time with his boyfriend.

 

Youngjae never actually told his family that him and Jaebeom dated since they'd called things off before he even got up the courage to tell them he was gay. That was probably for the better, though. His parents would probably have been way less okay with him being around Jaebeom so much if they knew about that...

 

Since he normally spent the day to himself, he had his own little ritual he adopted. Popcorn and movies! More specifically, Anaconda, Lake Placid, and The Mummy. Not romantic movies by any means, but Youngjae never considered himself a typical romantic.

 

When Youngjae learned Daehyun also had the day off, he immediately invited him down. Youngjae wasn't about to miss out on an opportunity to spend the day with his boyfriend! Daehyun replied that he'd come down once he finished breakfast, so Youngjae was eagerly anticipating his arrival. Hopefully, he wouldn't be disappointed that Youngjae's plans were just including him in the yearly ritual...

 

Youngjae's phone flashed a message, and he originally thought it was Daehyun saying he was on the way down, but glancing at it showed that it was from Jaebeom.

 

Nerd – 10:01
Hey can I drop by at some point today?

 

Me – 10:01

Nope, I've got plans. You can come by tomorrow.

 

Nerd – 10:02

Aww come on, please? It's gotta be today, my dear!

 

So, Youngjae hadn't actually told Jaebeom about Daehyun yet. He briefly contemplated telling Jaebeom that he wasn't going to be alone today, but Youngjae wasn't prepared for the line of questioning that would certainly follow. Inquiries on who he was with, what they were to him, why he hadn't been told sooner...

 

Then Jaebeom would want to come by anyway to meet him, and Youngjae didn't think Daehyun was ready for that. Especially since Youngjae wanted to clarify beforehand about Jaebeom and the past the two of them shared. That yeah, they'd dated but feelings like that were no longer present. And yeah, Jaebeom calls him a nickname that could come off like it's a couple name, but there were no romantic connotations behind it...

 

Me – 10:04

No, and that's final ya nerd! I've got plans today and I don't want you interrupting them! :T

 

Without waiting for a response, he turned down his phone volume to silent and left it on the coffee table. Hopefully Jaebeom would pick up that Youngjae meant the tone in his message. Telling his best friend about his boyfriend was going to wait until he'd had the discussion with Daehyun and made sure there weren't any problems. Clearing things up ahead of time was important, otherwise Youngjae would be risking a high level misunderstanding!

 

'I don't think Daehyun would have a problem so long as I'm open about it. He seems to appreciate straight forwardness and honesty over all else. I just need to figure out the right time to tell him...'

 

The gentle knocking on the door was the indication Youngjae had been waiting for, and he spared his contemplations no more thought. They could wait for another day! For now, it was time to put his focus on the present.

 

Good morning, Youngjae,” Daehyun greeted once the door had been answered, waving his fingers in a tiny wave before twirling them around each other.

 

Good morning! Come on in and make yourself comfortable.” Youngjae ushered him in, and they settled down onto the couch.

 

Um... What exactly- What are we uh, doing today?” Daehyun wondered.

 

Watching movies. Is that alright with you?”

 

He let out a relieved exhale. “Y-yeah, it is,” he answered with a small grin. “It's been a long time since I've watched a movie. I uh, don't often watch them? So whatever you have lined up, I probably haven't seen before...”

 

Thinking on it, based on Daehyun's personality, Youngjae wasn't sure how keen his boyfriend would be on his movie choices. “Well, it's been a ritual of mine since I moved out of my parents' place to watch three movies in particular on Valentine's Day. They're technically classified as horror, but I wouldn't consider them to be. Suspenseful maybe, but not horror.” Youngjae slipped off the couch to grab the cases from the television stand and hand them over once he noticed Daehyun's hesitant look.

 

Definitely haven't seen these...” Daehyun looked over each case, one by one. From the cover to reading the backs.

 

I do have other movies if you'd rather watch those.”

 

No, it's- Um, I don't mind,” he said slowly, still inspecting the cases with his lips pursed in thought. “These don't seem like they'd be that bad... I mean, so long as there aren't like... ghosts. Reptiles and mummies are fine, just... no ghosts.” He shuddered to himself with a tiny pout.

 

If you change your mind, let me know.” When Daehyun nodded, Youngjae suggested, “How about you pick the first one we watch while I go pour us some tea and make some popcorn?” Once he began to give the cases another look over, Youngjae moved into the kitchen and got their drinks while waiting for the popcorn.

 

When Youngjae returned, Daehyun handed him one of the cases once he'd set everything down in front of them. “Um, this one?” The case Youngjae found in his hands was The Mummy, and he set it to play while Daehyun adjusted himself on the couch with his mug of tea. He hadn't yet caught on to the fact that Youngjae was giving him the 'what a cu-tea' mug on purpose every time.

 

Or if he had, he decided not to say anything about it.

 

Overall, Daehyun's reaction was positive! He thought the main girl had very pretty make up looks and was pleased at the comedic aspects. Not thrilled about the scarabs or the weird way the mummy looked before full regeneration, but Youngjae was able to quell his displeasure at that with fun accents that easily distracted him and gave him the giggles.

 

'I'll probably have to do that for the next two movies, but at least I know it's a tactic that'll work!'

 

“I picked the first one, so... shouldn't you pick the next one?” Daehyun asked after Youngjae returned the movie to its appropriate case.

 

Youngjae agreed, and it was while he was trying to decide between the two remaining ones that someone began knocking on the door. Youngjae lifted his head and perked his ears. No one should be here right now. Everyone was aware that he was busy, so who was here? 'Maybe if I ignore them, they'll go away?'

 

“Youngjae my dear, I know you're in there! You never leave the apartment on Valentine's Day!” More knocking, this time harder and with more purpose. Youngjae's insides dropped, and he exchanged the cases in his hand for the phone he'd put on silent a few hours ago. Three missed messages from Jaebeom.

 

Nerd – 10:05

All you're gonna be doing is watching movies by yourself anyway, what harm is me dropping by for a little bit gonna do?

 

Nerd – 10:14

Already put in one of your movies, huh? Fine, I'll give you enough time for ONE movie! But then I'm dropping by! This is super important and time is of the essence, my dear!

 

Nerd – 12:03

On the way over now! Better be ready for me, my dear~!

 

Youngjae's eye twitched as he read over the missed messages. What the hell was so important that Jaebeom refused to take no for an answer? He groaned as Jaebeom knocked more frantically on the door, and he set his phone back down on the coffee table.

 

“I'm sorry, but my best friend decided to ignore my message that I was busy today,” he sighed tiredly before heaving himself off the couch and giving his boyfriend an apologetic smile. If Youngjae hadn't been so frustrated at his best friend's sudden and unwanted presence, he would've been more aware and concerned about the panic flashing through Daehyun's eyes. “I'll try to make this quick.”

 

“YOUNGJ-”

 

Youngjae cracked open the door and peered out at Jaebeom right as he was about start the pounding and shouting again. With a glare that shot daggers, Youngjae grumbled, “What do you want?”

 

“Youngjae my dear, I need your help,” Jaebeom declared, hands firmly pressed together like a praying motion. “Can I come in?”

 

“No.” Youngjae denied curtly. “You can tell me here, and please make it quick because I'm busy and I told you this when you texted me earlier. What's so big of a problem that you disregarded that?”

 

Jaebeom's demeanor shifted to something more sheepish and desperate, and through his frustration, Youngjae found it in him to be confused. Jaebeom was a proud and teasing guy, and him being anything but was alarming. “Well, I'm trying to think of what I can do for my boyfriend today and-”

 

“Hold the phone, you have a boyfriend? Since when?” Youngjae blurted out.

 

“Um... End of October, early November.” Jaebeom rubbed at the nape of his neck and avoided the dumbfounded stare Youngjae was giving him.

 

Part of him wanted to be mad that he hadn't told sooner, but that'd be a bit hypocritical since Youngjae hadn't told him about his relationship status either. “If you've been dating for four months with no problem, then why do you need my help now?”

 

Honestly, Youngjae was more baffled that Jaebeom had managed to keep it from him for this long. Normally, he couldn't keep his mouth shut about his dating life, and Youngjae was made aware of him seeing somebody within a week of it happening...

 

“Because it's Valentine's Day and that means things should be more romantic, right?” Jaebeom explained. “So yeah. That's what I need your help with.”

 

“Jaebeom, I'm not what you'd call romantic.”

 

“Yeah, I know. All I ever got from you was a kiss and a large Hershey's chocolate bar. My favourite chocolate, but still not romantic.” Jaebeom chuckled and playfully rolled his eyes. “You may be the worst option to go to for this, but you're my best friend. Which means that I will always go to you for help first. So, what sort of help can you give me?”

 

Well, if he put it that way... and it did kind of go vice versa because Jaebeom had been the first person Youngjae had gone to for advice when he was first fumbling over his attraction to Daehyun. Even though that advice had been more detrimental in the long run, Youngjae went to him first without even thinking twice about it.

 

That being said, Youngjae was still displeased at him showing up. If Jaebeom had asked not to be bothered, Youngjae would've listened!

 

“You two have gone on dates before, right?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

Youngjae shrugged. “Treat this date like those. If you put more stock into this one, doesn't it demean the others?”

 

“That's deep, my dear.”

 

“Look, you've succeeded in multiple dates with this man,” Youngjae sighed and waved him off with a dismissive flick of the wrist. “You'll be just fine, Jaebeom. Now go for it!”

 

Unfortunately, Jaebeom made no move to leave and instead opened his mouth like he was about to ask something else. Or possibly comment something along the lines of how that wasn't very much help, something he knew beforehand but he'd come here anyway! Whatever Jaebeom wanted to say never made it out because of an unexpected curveball thrown their way.

 

“Good luck!”

 

Youngjae would've found it more hilarious at how Jaebeom blanched if he hadn't also been caught off guard by Daehyun's sudden interjection.

 

“Oh my god, I interrupted your date,” Jaebeom whispered, and the mortification that radiated off him was palpable for a brief moment. “You- Your plans- I thought- Normally, you're alone?” He stared down at his feet for a bit before squinting at Youngjae. “I would be mad at you for not telling me about this, but considering I hadn't told you about my boyfriend, I guess we can call this even.”

 

“Jaebeom.”

 

Youngjae glared him down, and Jaebeom held up his hands in defeat with an unapologetic grin. “I'll leave you to it then. I expect details later, my dear!” Jaebeom thankfully started to walk off.

 

“Good luck on your date!” Youngjae shouted after him.

 

“You too!”

 

The whole interaction felt like an eternity, but in actuality had only been about five minutes tops. With a relieved exhale, Youngjae joined Daehyun back on the couch. “I didn't expect you to speak up like that,” he admitted.

 

Daehyun began to fidget with his fingers in front of him. He flickered his gaze from his fingers, to Youngjae, and back to his fingers. “I um... Well, I-I thought that maybe if I uh, spoke up that he'd um... leave?” When Daehyun first started talking, it hadn't been so quiet. But by those last words, Youngjae was straining to hear what he was saying.

 

At least he understood what Daehyun meant, and he was thankful for it. Or else Jaebeom might've stood there trying to get more out of him for who knows how long! “Well, it thankfully spurred him into gear to go on his own date.” One glance over at Daehyun, and Youngjae noticed how he was chewing on his bottom lip, eyebrows furrowed. “Is something bothering you?”

 

“Wha-? No, I- I'm fine. It's not- There's nothing- No.” Daehyun shook his head adamantly, but the way he tensed and twirled his fingers around betrayed his words. He was definitely stuck in his head on something, and Youngjae had a pretty good idea of what it was.

 

Youngjae scooted closer until their knees touched before gently taking Daehyun's fidgeting hands between his. Daehyun tensed briefly before slightly relaxing. Youngjae tried to catch his eyes, but Daehyun darted his gaze away and settled them on their hands instead. “If there's something bothering you, please tell me,” he requested softly. “I'd rather you tell me what's on your mind than you bottle it up.”

 

The silence was thick for a few moments before Daehyun opened his mouth to speak, but then his lips closed. He took a breath and tried again, made a move like he was about to say something before crinkling his brows in frustration and pressing his lips closed again. In the hopes of soothing him enough to coax out words, Youngjae rubbed his thumb over the top of his hand rhythmically.

 

The words that he settled for weren't what Youngjae was expecting. “I-I'm sorry,” he whispered.

 

“Why are you apologizing?” If anything, Jaebeom should've apologized for the unexpected visit!

 

“Because I thought- I mean, he showed up talking like that and I thought- I uh... That he was um... And well... Then I couldn't- There wasn't a choice and I had to- I didn't mean to listen in... so much?” Daehyun rambled, not able to find or say the exact words he wanted, but he didn't have to.

 

Youngjae knew how to piece things together well enough. It rang loud and clear in his head, and it wouldn't be the first time a boyfriend of his had thought Jaebeom was also a boyfriend and that either him or his boyfriend were the side piece. It ached every time it happened, but something about the way Daehyun thought he was somehow at fault made it hurt worse.

 

If that scenario had been true, the only person who would be at fault was himself for daring to cheat on his partner!

 

'Looks like I'm going to have to clarify things today rather than later on down the line...'

 

“Not for a long time,” Youngjae responded slowly. “Jaebeom and I dated for about a year back in high school before calling it off.” Daehyun knitted his brows together, eyes squinted slightly and lips pursed while he processed the information. “Is this a problem?”

 

If he did have a problem with it, it wouldn't be the first time a boyfriend of Youngjae's wasn't okay with Jaebeom for this reason. Inwardly, he tried to figure out if the way Daehyun's face moved meant he should brace for him to be upset or if he should mentally prepare to answer more questions...

 

Daehyun shook his head and chewed on his bottom lip. “No, it's-” His fingers twitched between Youngjae's hands, and he his lips nervously. “I'm... more confused than anything? How... someone can be friends with their ex...”

 

Braced for questions, got it. Definitely the better option of the two! “We've been best friends for as long as I can remember,” Youngjae elaborated. “When we decided dating wasn't for us, we couldn't just drop the fact that we'd always been a part of each other's life. So we just slipped back into how we were before.”

 

“Is... is the- Is um... what he calls you from... from then?”

 

“No, he's called me that for as long as I can remember, too.” Growing up, it had always bothered Youngjae. Jaebeom knew it, too, and that's why he did it so much. Jokes on him though because now Youngjae reveled in the fact that he got the fun nickname and not Jaebeom's other friends! “Except for when we were dating, actually. He said he never meant anything by it and instead called me something else.”

 

Princess was that something else, but Daehyun didn't need to know that.

 

Daehyun let out a tiny hum of thought. “And-” A muted throat clear and a quick of his lips. “And there's no- You and him definitely don't- There's nothing left from that... right?” He glanced over at Youngjae, eyes filled with what he could only equate to fear, and Youngjae couldn't possibly fathom what Daehyun was scared of.

 

“None whatsoever! We've both moved on from that,” he reassured, giving Daehyun a smile that he hoped conveyed his honesty. 'I have him, so why would I want to put that focus on someone else? Especially someone else who isn't interested in me and is also dating someone else?' “Those kinds of feelings are reserved for you,” Youngjae added on.

 

Those words caused Daehyun's aura to swell with satisfaction, and relief washed over Youngjae as Daehyun's lips twitched up into a slight grin. To Youngae's pleasant surprise, Daehyun adjusted his hands so he could grasp back rather than just Youngjae holding his. “It's- So long as there's nothing... you know, then I'll- I'm fine with it,” he declared.

 

“I'm relieved to hear it!” Youngjae beamed, spreading into a grin. How had he lucked out with such a kind and understanding boyfriend? With a gentle squeeze to his hands, Daehyun's lips upturned into a breathtaking smile as he tentatively squeezed back. “Now, how about I make some lunch before we start that next movie? It wouldn't be healthy to just eat popcorn all day!”

 

--

A/N:

First off, I had a few base notes in this chapter that I feel like sharing. One, for Anaconda I just had written down "ROTISSERIE OWEN WILSON" and "UGH WHY DID HE WINK. THAT'S SO GROSS." Two, the end of the chapter in the plotting document just says "daehyun.exe has stopped working"

So there's that?