9 - Lies Lies Lies

Mabel Manor
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Still busy so uploads are slow :(

“Well?” YongSun’s mother asked while shooting daggers from her eyes. YongSun swallowed hard, mind reeling, trying to think of an excuse and fast, her mother wasn’t supposed to be home this early in the afternoon.

YongSun felt Byul brush past her, YongSun barley registering it because she was too shocked to think. “You must be Mrs. Kim.” Byul’s voice was light and excited. “I am Moon ByulYi, I just moved here.” Her mother’s eyes shifted from YongSun to the advancing girl, YongSun frozen. “I really hope I didn’t get YongSun in trouble.” She stopped in front of YongSun’s mother and gave a slight bow. “You see she was forced to be my welcome committee by our home room teacher, if she goes to class without me then she gets in trouble.” YongSun’s eyes shifted to Byul as well, listening unbelievably to the words spilling from her lips. “You see I was severely bullied in my last school,” Her voice broke a bit on that sentence. “And this girl JiSoo, reminds me so much of my old school, I saw her this morning and kind of panicked and ran off.” She turned to look at YongSun, a slight rim of tears in her eyes, YongSun was just going to pretend it was her ability to lie but she could see some truth in it. Byul motioned YongSun forward. “YongSun followed me and kindly walked me here so I could take some time to calm down, because my aunt is home and I don’t want her to know about this.” To YongSun’s surprise her mother’s eyes softened a bit. “I just needed to calm down, we will go back to school now.” She grabbed YongSun’s sleeve. 

Her mother broke eye contact with Byul and looked back at YongSun, the familiar thin lined lips were back again. “Don’t make a habit of this, but take your time getting back.” Was all she said before she stepped past them and walked out the front door.

YongSun’s mouth dropped open. “Well she believed it easier than I thought.” Byul commented, voice back to normal.

YongSun slowly turned to her, she was well aware that what she said was more than just a lie, it was something personal she shared to get YongSun out of trouble. “I can’t believe you just effortlessly lied to my mother, the head of the most powerful coven on this side of the country.” 

Byul shrugged. “Dam she was scary though.”

YongSun burst out laughing. “Yeah, she is, but you hold up just fine.” She threw an arm around Byul which seemed to shock her. “I just might have to keep you around.” She pulled her toward the door. “Let’s go kill a beast.” YongSun lead Byul back out the door, words echoing back in her own mind, what did she just admit? 

YongSun’s mother was one scary woman. Walking away from the house, Byul had a feeling of sea legs, she was kind of glad that YongSun had yet to remove her arm from her shoulder because it was making it easier for her to walk. She had managed to lie most likely the most powerful witch in the country, one who could surely turn her into a frog or something. She wasn’t even sure how she managed, all she knew was that YongSun seemed frozen by fear and that clearly wasn’t going to help them get out of the house. 

Now back at Byul’s house the girls sat on the couch in her room waiting for the twins. Byul half wanted to go out and look for them to make sure everything was okay but YongSun told her it might draw attention if they were all walking around town, especially if her mother was around, so Byul agreed to go wait at her house for the twins. Though she did text them to hurry up and got one back that said for Byul to hold her horses. YongSun looked around Byul’s room which made her a bit self conscious, she half hoped the girl would get bored and open the book that sat on her lap. “It doesn’t really look like you.” She finally said to Byul.

Byul looked over at her questioning. “What do you mean?”

YongSun gestured around. “It doesn’t seem like your bedroom.” She pointed to a few things. “Those books are your and so are the pictures, but other than this room doesn’t feel like it belongs to you.”

Byul swallowed hard. “That is because it doesn’t. This is my aunt’s house, her furniture, her guest room.” Byul had been reluctant to make any kind of personal connection to this room or this house, even the town, out of fear something would happen and she would be forced to leave it too quickly. “I leave for college in a year, it won’t be mine for long.”

YongSun studied her until Byul shifted uncomfortably. “It might not be permanent in your mind but I think it will be okay to make a space for yourself here.” YongSun looked away from her and Byul’s heart skipped, what was up with YongSun today? YongSun cleared . “I suppose we should b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter