6 - Devil's Night

Mabel Manor
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Took the weeked off because of work but I am back now so :)

“Are you crazy” JongBin asked when he picked Byul up from the nurse’s office after class. “I can’t believe you actually lasted and entire period with the Wicked Witch of the west.” Byul gave him a look, she had already warned him before to stop calling her that. He held his hands up in defense. “Sorry, habit.”

Byul scoffed. “Yeah and it became a habit at my old school for people to refer to me as Butch Byul the school dyke.” His face fell. “Names are only funny to those they are not about.” 

“Okay I am sorry and I won’t ever use it again.” He bumped her shoulder. “So how was it?” 

“Frustrating.” She admitted sounding defeated. “I thought I was really getting her to open up, she even saved me from potentially dangerous chemicals, but she snapped on me on our way to the nurse and then just left.” 

She could see JongBin looking at her from the corner of his eye. “Byul are you sure this is only about finding out if she is a witch?” 

Byul watched her feet as she walked. “That was never what it was about.” She said quietly. “I just wanted a reason to try and crack through her armour. I lived that life, and that was only when my school was against me not my entire town.” They walked a few more feet. “I just think everyone deserves a chance to have a friend, even broody witches.” He laughed at that. 

JongBin pulled her sleeve, making her stop. “Are you still going to check out Mabel tomorrow?” He had been concerned since the moment she mentioned it to him. 

She nodded slowly. “My cousins are going with or without me, and at least if I am there the chances of one of them falling through a wood rotten floor is slimmer.” She shrugged. “It is only a legend, and not one I even believe in but I need to keep them safe.” She looked at him hopefully. “Maybe you want to come along?” 

“No way in hell am I going in that house.” He said with a laugh. “Been there done that and still have nightmares about it.” 

“Some best friend you are.” She scoffed.

JongBin’s face lit up. “You really think of me as your best friend?”

Byul sighed. “I should not have given you that power.”

He laughed out loud and wrapped an arm around her neck, pulling her closer. “There is not getting rid of me Moon ByulYi.” He sang and kissed her on the cheek. Byul tried to push him off but he held her tight. Byul couldn’t help but laugh, she missed having a best friend. 

YongSun flung her backpack on her bed and stormed into her bathroom. She had let her gaurd down, she let that stupid new girl get close. She let herself fall for her niceness and the fact she didn’t seem to care that YongSun was a witch. She saved her from the liquid JiSoo spilled on the counter, and she didn’t even know why she did it. As they walked to the nurse’s office, she tried to sympathize with her, but what did she know, she was the shiny new girl, everyone wanted to get closer to her. She had already been snatched up by JongBin and his crew in her first week. She had no idea what it felt like to be an outsider. YongSun glared at herself in the mirror, scolding herself for opening up, glad she stopped herself just in time. The comments of that girl’s instagram post flashed through her mind, the way Byul’s words seemed to be exactly as YongSun felt. YongSun’s face softened. Perhaps she really did know what it was like. YongSun shook her head hard, she didn’t care if she knew how it felt, there was no way she was going to be friends with anyone in this town, especially her. YongSun gave herself one more look in the mirror then left to go practice her magic, her test was coming up fast and if she wanted to keep her powers, she was going to need to improve very quickly. 

Devil’s night, the night for pranks and trouble. Trouble was exactly what Byul’s cousins were up to. They all stood on the edge of the Mabel property, directly in front of the no trespassing sign, as her cousins searched for a way over the large iron fence. Byul cursed herself for even allowing them to come here but it was not like she could tie them up, she tried and the little devil’s got out. Her aunt was out for the night and left Byul in charge but that really meant the twins were in charge and she was just along for the ride. 

She pleaded with JongBin in school to come over and help her corral her cousins but he refused, he had to go with father into the city after school and it was something he could not get out of. So here she stood, watching her cousins break the law as JiHo boosted Jia over the fence and she put her hands through the gate to be his step up. Byul sighed, knowing she wasn’t going to win against them and she began to climb the fence behind them. 

The grounds were overgrown and large, like no one had been around for centuries to cut the grass or trim the hedges. It was something like a mystical forest, the grass came up to Byul’s knees, the garden they were walking through was covered in vines, classic abandoned look. Byul wished she had her DSLR with her to take some really good pictures, but she did manage to snap a few with her phone, promising herself to come back at the golden hour with it to take some really good shots. When the house started coming into view she really did wish she had her camera in hand. It was three stories high and about the size of a palace, completely symmetrical. It had blue, black wood paneling and a lot of the top rounded windows were either broken or boarded up. Byul was actually surprised that there was no graffiti on the house, it seemed like something kids in this town would have done over the years, or maybe they

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter