4 - Research

Mabel Manor
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I am kind of powering through these chapters, mainly because the story line is short, and well it is a Halloween story so... I am hoping to not drag it out too long... but I also hope you are enjoying the story so far... okay I'll stop talking. 

Byul spent her lunch hour in the library, and hiding from YongSun. She knows that she saw her when she got close enough, Byul just hoped she didn’t think that she saw something, which she had, but she didn’t need the aggressive girl down before she found out some answers for herself. You were not allowed to eat in the library so Byul was skipping lunch altogether to get some answers. She was sitting at one of the many school computers, search engine up, typing in different keywords related to Bellbourne the town and the witch clam that apparently existed within it. She didn’t get much, just general lore on witches,  nothing specific to this town. She gave up her internet search after twenty minutes, so much for Google knowing everything. 

She got up enough to ask the librarian for history books on the town. She got an odd look for it, I guess not many teenagers care about History in this town, but she pointed Byul in the direction she was looking for. Byul settled down at a table nearby with about five books. She didn’t get far into her research before someone sat down across from her, she half expected to see YongSun sitting there glaring at her. Instead it was a boy with sandy blond hair and a bright smile, he was quite handsome. “It is Byul right?” He asked as he pulled his backpack off. Byul didn’t want to answer his question, she wanted to hide. Her experience with cute guys wanting to talk to the new girl, was never good ones, the pretty boys at her old schools were all s. However, she found herself nodding. “I am JongBin, Yoon JongBin.” He said with that pretty boy smile of his. “A little light reading on your first day?” He asked pointing at the books.

Again Byul didn’t want to talk to him, she just wanted him to go away, but that was no way to start off at a new school. She shrugged. “It is a curious town, I just wanted to get to know it better.” 

“There are better ways than reading old books that probably have not been dusted in a few years.” He laughed at his own joke and Byul forced a smile. “Come on tell me what you want to know?”

Byul looked at him, she was looking for any signs that this was a trick, that he was doing it to make fun of her for later. “Just basic history.” She finally answered.

“So you are looking up the witches.” Byul’s heart sank a bit, he just laughed. “Don’t worry, every new person to this town is curious about it, even the majority of us who were born here have looked into it, it is not like the town tires to hide it, it makes us interesting.” He slid his backpack on the table. “Especially after an encounter with Kim YongSun.” Byul’s gaze shot up, another laugh from him. “I saw you the other day at the supermarket, then today in class. It doesn’t help that JiSoo and SoWon make it their life mission to make YongSun feel like she is the outcast.” He rolled his eyes. 

“Why don’t you guys do anything to stop it?” Byul was shocked that this boy seemed to think that what they were doing was wrong and yet she didn’t hear him speak out against it. 

He shrugged. “We had all tired one time or another throughout the years. But YongSun is… determined to be alone, she tries to scare people away.”

“Maybe she does that to see who will run and who will stay.” Byul used to push people who tried to be her friend away because it hurt less if they left earlier rather than later. 

He shrugged again. “Well she tries very hard to do so, so yeah I guess we all kind of just gave up after a while. It isn’t cruel, they just make a few comments and such, nothing most people can’t handle.”

“That doesn’t make it right.” Byul said feeling her anger rise.

“Hey, hey.” He raised his hands in defense. “I am not saying it is. But you are new here, you haven’t seen or heard the things she has done to others either, get both sides of your story before you prosecute, YongSun has done her share of cruel things as well.” Byul supposed he was right, she only just got here, she didn’t know the other half of the story but that didn’t mean she was about to join the ranks of the kids who sit by and do nothing, but she did need to do more research about the witches. “I’d check out that book.” He pointed to one near her as if reading her thoughts. “You’d be wasting your time with the others, and talk to your cousins, those two more about the lore of this town than any old book.” 

“How did you know…”

“Small town remember?” He said with a smile. “Besides, I make it a habit to know all about the cute girls in this town.” He got up from his chair, was he hitting on Byul? “I will see you in class, all the eleventh graders have the same ones. Benefits of a small town.” The last part was sarcastic. “If you are looking for a friendly face, you got one.” He said as he turned to leave.

Byul had the urge to blurt out that she was a lesbian but it was not as if he just asked her on a date, he just seemed to want to help her out. Plus she wasn’t eager to out herself so fast in a small town, it didn’t work out for her well in the big city. If she got any more indication he wanted to be more than friendly, she would tell him but for now she would just leave it. “Thank you JongBin, I will see you around.”

“See you around.” He winked and walked away. 

Byul went to check out her book before the next bell rang. 

YongSun let the girl get away. A simple tracking spell would reveal where she ran off to, but she wanted to give the girl time to think through what she thought she may have seen, and with mortals it usually rationalizes itself out. YongSun figured tracking her down and demanding to hear what she saw would only make her look more guilty and make the girl jump to conclusions, the right ones. Instead, YongSun went to research the girl herself. She was late enough to miss her introduction in the class. YongSun waited until their homeroom teacher was gone to lunch to snoop through his desk. The attendance sheet had Moon ByulYi penciled in at the bottom of the page. She was related to the Song twins, those nosy brats. Her aunt, worked mostly from home and her uncle was the Chief of police in the town, that much YongSun knew, it was hard not to know basically everything about everyone in this dam town. 

YongSun pulled out her laptop from her bag, now in the music room where she usually ate her lunch, and began googling the name. No social media

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter