8 - Best Laid Plans

Mabel Manor
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I am so sorry for the delay, it has been a very busy couple of weeks as it is finals time for me but I finally managed to complete the chapter.

Getting the twins out of class proved easier than Byul thought it would. She called her aunt ahead of time and asked her if she could sign them out of school to help her with a school project, she didn’t even question it. By the time YongSun and Byul made it across the field and into the school, they were waiting outside the principal’s office. As soon as Jia saw her she started excitedly walking over to her, that was until she was who Byul was walking with, her face dropped fast and JiHo walked up to his sister. “What is she doing here?” He asked looking annoyed. 

“Hello to you two Tweedle Dum.” YongSun waved sarcastically at them.

Byul held up her hands. “Enough all of you. We have a lot to do and not enough time to be doing this.” 

“What is going on?” Jia ask while still eyeing YongSun.

“Not here.” Byul said, she turned and began leading them all out of school again.

Byul had no idea where they could go, her aunt was still at home, Byul and YongSun ditched do they couldn’t go to the highschool, YongSun said her house was very out of the question, so Byul ended up marching them to the local park. All the kids were in school so it was deserted and they would be able to see if anyone was coming their way so they couldn’t be overheard. Both twins sat down on a swing,YongSun broodily leaned against one of the bars and Byul stood in front of her cousins. “We let the Beast out.” She said as calmly as she could. 

The twins’ faces went from shocked to excited in a matter of seconds. “I knew it!” JiHo said. “I knew it really existed.”

“We knew.” Jia cut her brother a look. JiHo just rolled his eyes. “So it is really free.” Jia asked sounding a bit more worried than her brother. 

Byul nodded. “Last night while we were there.” 

JiHo tilted his head slightly. “But the beast can only be awakened by the blood of a…” They both whipped their heads toward YongSun, who just gave them a wicked grin. “So the rumors are true?” JiHo actually sounded like he didn’t believe it. 

YongSun shrugged. “Depends what rumors you are talking about, did my blood bring the Beast to life, I guess so, though I didn’t expect it to be a drop of blood.” She crossed her arms. “But since you two seem to think you are Monster hunters and it was your fault we were even there to begin with, you have to help us send it back.” 

This seemed to please them, they gave each other excited looks. “First things first, we need to locate the beast.” JiHo said while Jia nodded.

“Easy, it is at Mabel.” YongSun answered. “Legend says that it is made of complete darkness, that even the slightest bit of light will weaken it, so it only hunts during the night.” Byul was actually surprised she knew so much. 

The twins nodded along like they knew that as well. “It kills by draining the life essence of humans, but it can only fully kill someone in the in between.” Jia added trying to sound spooky.

Byul was confused. “The in between? In between what?”

“In between two things.” JiHo said as if that even clarified anything. “The beast is the creation of a very powerful magic source, but even that has its limits. It could only be awakened on Devil’s night right before All Hallows Eve at midnight because it is the time when the realm is in between the living and the dead.” 

“But we were there at like ten.” Byul reminded them.

“I said awakened.” JiHo almost snapped as if Byul wasn’t listening, she gave him a look that had him looking sorry. “As long as the blood was still fresh, it could have come alive, and apparently it was.” He looked at YongSun who glared back. 

“Anyway.” Jia said breaking the tension. “Midnight is the biggest in between, the time in between two days when the veil between the realms is the thinnest.” Before Byul could counter anything Jia put up her hands. “We don’t make the magical rules we just study them. And these are the rules of the in between.”

JiHo nodded along. “So we are safe until midnight because that is when it can exist in our realm enough to feed on humans. And one of the biggest in betweens is the in between two months, so the midnight between on the night of a between two months is strong.” 

“Not to be confused with the biggest between, which is between December right before January, which is also the between of two years.” 

Byul was getting dizzy. “Too many betweens.” She said, shaking her head. “Okay so we have until midnight, that was a long explanation as to why, but what about how, how do we kill it?”

“A potion.” YongSun chimed in. “There should be one in my mother’s grimoire, I’ve never tried to look for one because until today I didn’t believe in the stupid beast.”

“So what do we do now then?” She asked YongSun because she was the one that pulled them all from school to hel

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter