[3]

Love Air

            And as Chanyeol promised, he was standing right outside my last class of the day to start our journey around town.

            “So how was your first day of school?” Chanyeol asked as we headed out into the bright warm sun of the afternoon.

            “It was okay, I guess,” I puckered my lips. “Classes are somewhat interesting. The people were quite nice and welcoming, but I can see that making new friends might be a challenge since everyone has known each other for years.”

            “Yeah, I feel that’s the one difficulty of moving to a small town like this. Honestly, I think you’re the first person to move here. Well, not the first, but we haven’t had a new person for years now,” Chanyeol explained.

            “So where are you taking me first?” I asked as we walked through the quad. It was different from when I walked through it this morning. There were a lot more students out on picnic blankets hanging out and chilling in their free time. It really felt like your typical university movie scene.

            “I haven’t really put much thought into that, but I think if we just walk through the alleyways then we’ll find cool things,” Chanyeol responded. “I’ve walked through this whole town already and everything isn’t as cool as I thought when I was little and still exploring, however, I still do think that the people here make those places special.”

            Once again, Chanyeol was right. The town had its own little specialty and style because of the people. Walking out and behind the whole U-shape of the main part of the town, it all reminded me of Bukcheon Hanok Village in Seoul with the tiny alleyways leading to some mysterious looking place, of course, in this town, compared to the Bukcheon; it was very modern and not so old fashion. Every store or public facility, Chanyeol lead me in to meet the owners who would be happy to see Chanyeol and then relish over the creativeness of my name.

            “If you think about it, Seoul comes from the word capital city. Being named capital city is extraordinary because it means you’re the main point in exercising primary status and power. Very interesting and empowering! I would love to meet your parent’s if they ever come to visit,” the tea woman tipped her cup at me. She fixed the pins in her bun and called out for her cat to sit on her lap. “Especially giving the name to their daughter that is… wow! I have major respect them.”

            “See I told you your name is unique!” Chanyeol poked my arm as we left the tea shop. “Also don’t mind Miss Yoon, she’s a little weird sometimes. You can pretty much call her the lonely cat lady and she’s really for female empowerment, which is why she isn’t married. She doesn’t believe in having a male to tie her down.”

            I chuckled and nodded my head seeing back at her very colorful fashion sense and the number of cats moping around her shop. “Yeah, I guess I never really thought about my name like that. I always just told people it’s like what it is; I was named after the city I was born in.”

            “I never thought about that either. In all honesty, it’s an awesome name, Seoul,” Chanyeol expressed once more. “You should embrace it more.”

            “I think I will after hearing how Miss Yoon explaining it that way,” I smiled. “It doesn’t seem like my parents to really think of such a name for me like that. Yet at the same time, my parents are unpredictable and don’t like to speak much of things into details.”

            Suddenly Chanyeol’s phone rang and we stopped in the middle of a new alleyway for him to answer it. After a couple of okays and a goodbye, he hung up.

            “I’m sad to say that we have to end this tour a little early today,” Chanyeol pouted at me which was extremely cute for a giant like him. “My mom needs help at the clinic.”

            “No worries,” I smile at him. “I’m grateful that you even got to take me out.”

            “I’m glad too. I’ll take you home first though,” he said, and we continued on walking. “These alleys can become a giant maze sometimes. I think if you at least walk around and take the time and memorize ways you can escape slowly then I think you’ll be able to navigate them like a pro.”

            We finally came out from the inside of the town and I was able to lead us back to my home with ease.

            “Oh! Hi, Jongdae,” Chanyeol waved at him as Jongdae was just about to walk in.

            “Hey, what’s up, Chanyeol? Hello, Miss Park Seoul,” Jongdae tipped his head at me.

            “You know each other? Don’t tell me you guys live in the same building,” Chanyeol looked at the both of us.

            “It’s not weird is it?” I questioned him since he seemed shock.

            “Huh? Oh, no just interesting that you’d be staying with two of my closest friends who also seem to accidently stay in the same place as each other,” Chanyeol laughed, but then stop to ponder on that idea. “Why wasn’t I included? I need to talk to God for a moment when I get home.”

            Jongdae and I looked at each other before laughing. “You better go off to see your mom, Chanyeol.”

            “Right. She must be wondering where I have gone off to. Well, it was really nice to meet you, Seoul and I’ll catch you later, Jongdae,” Chanyeol gave a final goodbye before scurrying off to the Vet.

            “Funny that you met Chanyeol,” Jongdae unlocked the door and slipped off his shoes as I did the same upon entering the house. “He’s a really nice guy. He might seem a little intimidating because of his height, but he’s just a big softie for cute things, animals, and people. He’s honestly too nice for his own good. He’s a big socialite too. Everyone knows each other here but Chanyeol, that guy knows everyone.”

            “Yeah, we walked into most of the shops here and everyone greeted Chanyeol like he’s their son and then it seemed like he had dinner or lunch with them at some point in time,” I mention.

            “That’s Chanyeol for you; the town’s little boy,” Jongdae chuckled. “So how was school?” We decided it would be best to sit under the gazebo to just talk and get to know each other more. Also, because it does seem that Jongdae has somewhat of an interest towards me and suggested the idea of getting to know each other more so his words, not mine.

            I told him mainly all the same things that I told Chanyeol about school and that I’ll will need to try hard this school year since my lectures go through quite fast.

            “Did you meet any new friends, beside Chanyeol?”

            I shook my head. “I was introduced to a lot of people in my class, but I wasn’t able to really connect with anyone yet. I told Chanyeol that I thought it’s going to be difficult since everyone has known each other for nearly their whole lives already.”

            Jongdae nodded his head. “Oh, I see. I mean since you’re new they’ll be understanding later that you’ll be needing friends.”

            I shrugged. “Can I be really honest with you?”

            “Of course.”

            “Back home, I’ve always had trouble making friends. I’m sure everyone has been through the trouble of making new friends, but for me, it seems like I’m always butting my way in people’s already set of friends,” I sighed and shook my head. “I’m sorry.”

            “Why are you apologizing," he chuckled. “I have so much respect for you for opening up to me. I don’t care that we don’t know each other that much and yet, it warms me so much that you are willing to be transparent with me.

            And look, I get your concern about making new friends. You moved out here for a better life, right? Don’t feel burdened. I promise you that everyone here is will be more than willing to be your friend and if you can’t find at school then you got me. And Joy, Wendy, Jisoo, Changkyun, and more just here in this house that’s wanting you to be more open.

            Here, you are a part of this family now and don’t forget that you’re not alone in this.”

            “Wow… I wasn’t expecting that. Thank you.”

            “I wasn’t either, however, I stood in your shoes before. I moved to Seoul in my middle school years to attend music school, but I absolutely hated it. Everyone was so competitive and fake. If you were top then everyone wanted to be your friend and if you were a nobody, no one cared about you. I was in a mix of both. Getting there no one knew who I was and treated me like I was invisible and then once they learned that I had some talent then everyone was all over me.

            I eventually moved by after graduating middle school and I’m glad I did. Anything else you have problem with bring it to me.”

            I smiled. “Thanks. I think that’s all as if now.”

            We continued our conversation to lighten up the mood and Jongdae talked about his job at the university being a music teacher and funny stories that happen with his friends, especially Chanyeol. I also did mention that I got hit on the head with a soccer ball by Chanyeol’s friends.

            “Ah, my other friends… They’re the young ones; always up to trouble,” Jongdae shook his head. “But is your head okay?” He leaned over and swept a hand over my hair checking out the area for bumps or bruises. I blushed at his touch. I moved my head a little away from his hand. His hand retracted. “You’re really pretty, you know.”

            “Eh, I don’t think so,” I curled a piece of my hair behind my ear. “But I’ve been getting that a lot today, so I guess it is true.”

            “It’s very true! I think you’d be a perfect ideal type for one of my friends,” he whispered. I’m assuming his friend is in this house at this moment to be whispering. “He’s not here but I thought he’d just have to realize it himself and win you over himself.” He winked at me.

            We parted to our own quarters after our conversation. I had to finish homework that I was assigned today. Luckily, I came at good time because all my classes were starting new on a topic and all my professors said that they’d dismiss the two weeks on work that I missed.

            By the time I finished my homework, dinner was set, and everyone was making their way to the dinner table. Seems like everyone had an assigned seat since everyone sat at the same place as last night and I was still mixed up on where I should sit. I found my place once again between the twins and the seat in front of me was empty.

            As expected, the first thing they asked me was my day at school and I relayed all the information that I had told Chanyeol and Jongdae once again. A bunch of them made side comments about how they used to have that teacher that I now have and then they all congratulated me for my first day completed.

            “That seat is never going to be fill, you know,” Jongdae whispered to me as we filled the table on my third week here.

            ‘Did he realize that I kept staring at the seat in front of me?’ I thought. “Ah, I see… how did you—”

            “I see the longing in your eyes for that sit to be filled. I miss my best friend too. Would you like me sit there to make you happy?” He wiggled his eyebrows at me.

            Maybe I’ll get use to this feeling like they do.