[9]

Love Air

            “Looks like you have a fracture in your ankle,” the doctor flipped through the x-ray scans. “Kind of unfortunate since it’s the same foot you have tendonitis in so that made have also led to the snapping rather than just spraining.”

            I grimaced at the way he said snapping. Baekhyun patted my shoulder and chuckled upon seeing my expression. “So, what’s the healing process going to be like?” He asked.

            “Well, luckily you don’t need surgery, so I’ll have someone come in to place a splint to align the bones back in place and to allow the ankle swell for the first couple of days before deciding on putting on a cast or not. It looks like your facture isn’t anything major, but everyone is different in the healing process.

After the cast, you’ll be placed in a walking boot to help the transition to walking again. Before you leave, please check with the front desk to handle the bill and to let them know where your main hospital is to transfer her information, so the other doctors know what’s going on. I have another patient I must attend to, so I’ll take my leave first.” And with that he headed towards the door as Baekhyun and I bowed thanking him for his help.

            I put my head in my hands. “I’ve never broken anything before, and this seems like so much work. I’m sorry, Baekhyun. I ruined our trip. This was meant to be a relaxing time and yet, here we are stressing over me.”

            “No, don’t worry about it. I’m very satisfied at how our first night went and I’m just glad to have spent it with someone.”

            My bit my lip to keep a wide grin from escaping at his sweet comment. “Are you sure? You can always drop me back home and continue on your break.”

            “Oh no, no, you have become my responsibility now. I must care for you until you can walk again,” he said with determination.

            “But you’re always so busy… I can ask Jongdae can look after me.”

            “No!” He looked away from his sudden harsh tone before becoming soft again. “I mean no… Jongdae is a busy, busy man. I’m more than willing to take some time off to help you literally get back on your feet.”

            “Oh… okay,” I grinned at him.

            A nurse walked into the curtained off space with splint supplies and got to work right away.

            “I’ll be back,” Baekhyun brushed my arm with his hand and walked out. He was gone for quite some time and returned with a small bag, just a little before the nurse finished her work and finished explaining more information after the stabilization of my foot, the doctor prescribing medicine for the pain, and how I can shower.

            “I’ll bring back a wheelchair you can use for the mean time to get to your car and then you guys can be on your way back home after checking with the counter for your discharge,” the nurse mentioned before leaving.

            I settled myself in the wheelchair carefully. This was such an odd feeling. I was never injured enough to the point of going to the hospital and then put in a wheelchair. Baekhyun happily rolled me out towards the exit passing the counter.

            “Oh? Aren’t we supposed to finish the discharge?” I worriedly asked Baekhyun. I kept looking back at the counter to Baekhyun.

            “I did it for you already and I got your medicine,” he dropped the small bag he had with him in my lap. “I wanted to get us out of here as soon as possible so you can rest, and I can sleep.”

            I gaped at him. “You didn’t pay, did you?”

            “And if I did?” Baekhyun slowly questioned hoping that I won’t burst at him.

            “Baekhyun,” I whined. “Don’t tell me that you paid.”

            “Okay, I won’t tell you,” he grinned.

            “No, no tell me!”

            “Ay, don’t worry, Seoul. I told you I’ll take care of you.”

            “I’m okay with that but I didn’t mean for you to also take care of the bill.”

            “Korea has one of the best medical care in the world. It wasn’t anything too expensive, especially when you don’t need any surgery. If getting an IV is nearly 5 dollars than you can only imagined how much just getting a simple splint is.”

            I sighed. “How can I pay you back?”

            “Get better, sweetheart.”

 

            “You guys are back early,” Jieun had a confused look on her face as Baekhyun and I trudged through the front door with me holding on to his arm for dear life trying not to fall. “Oh? What happened?”

            “I fell and fractured my ankle,” I replied with a pout to my lips. Baekhyun rubbed my back gently and I looked over at him, a sad smile painted his face.

            “I’ll go get the boys to come help.”

            “Oh wait…” Baekhyun quietly called out too late. Jieun had already rushed up stairs.

            Soon enough, the twins came running down. “Our young princess is injured~”

            “We must hurry and take her to her stay immediately,” they gently pulled me away from Baekhyun’s gripped and held me from both sides and carefully walked me up to the stairs.

            “I’ll unpack the car and be back to your room, Seoul,” I heard Baekhyun say. I turned my head and smiled at him. He smiled back and return to the outside world.

            “Do you need anything, Princess Seoul?” Joohyuk asked. The twins took up the responsibility to have been calling princess lately. I wasn’t exactly sure why, but I think it may have to do with the fact that I said Joohyuk looked like a prince the other when he was getting ready for a musical performance. Jisoo being Jisoo was jealous and wanted to be called a prince too. They may be older than me and yet, it seemed like I was the older sister with two attention wanting younger brothers.

            “I don’t think I need anything right now. Thank you though.” I was sitting up on my bed, back against the wall and splinted foot elevated up on a pillow.

            “What are you going to do? We have so many stairs. What about school?” Jisoo questioned.

            “It’s nothing too serious,” I assured them. “It’s just a small fracture. I’ll probably need to skip a day or two to just rest but I shouldn’t be caged inside my room forever. I’ll be better in about a month or so.”

            “A month?!” The twins gasped. “What are you going to do??”

            “Hey, hey you two are being quite bothersome, aren’t you?” Jongdae stood at the door with a serious look.

            “No,” they both looked down at the same time.

            “Let the poor girl rest,” he shooed them away with his hand making them leave. He shook his head before coming over to me.

            “What have you done to yourself?” He chuckled.

            “You know exactly what I’ve done,” I smirked. “I got injured so I can be served by the handsome oppas here.”

            Jongdae scoffed. “Oh, please.”

            I giggled. “I’d serve you any time though.” I blushed at his flirtatious comment. “So how was camping with Baekhyun? Or at least for the short moment you two were out there.”

            “It was nice to be able to get out from the ‘city life’ and out into this peaceful part of nature. Baekhyun is truly something else,” I bite my lip wondering if I should tell Jongdae my other thoughts.

            “Hm, sounds like a good time. Did anything else happen?” He raised an amused eyebrow.

            “Uhm… Well…”

            “Seoul? What happened? Did he do something to make your heart skip a beat?”

            “He didn’t do anything… it’s just that… yeah maybe we do hang out a lot and maybe I’m started to realize how much I admire him and everything he does is so heartwarming. I feel so infatuated by him that I don’t know how to control myself.

He’s so determined to take care of me know to the point that he paid my hospital fee.”

            “I think I might cry,” Jongdae wiped away his fake tears.

            “Jongdae,” I whined. I wasn’t sure how much teasing I would take from the older man.

            “I’m serious, Seoul. I thought the guy would die lonely because I feel like no girl would fall for that workaholic.”

            “That’s probably the one thing I don’t like about him, but I can’t stop him because that’s his job and I should just trust him and wait. If he doesn’t want to die lonely then I feel like he would try to make time for me, and I would for him.”

            “Awwwwww,” he cooed. “You really are one of a kind, Seoul. I’m proud to call you my sister now.”

            “Do you think he likes me though?” I question him again.

            “He likes you for sure!” My eyes widened but what he said next brought my hopes down. “The thing is I’m not sure if he likes in the way he would date you. Baekhyun is a sweet and caring guy but it’s hard to distinguish if he’s doing it because of his big heart or because you really mean something to him. Like I said before, he’s taken time off to search for you.”

            I put my head down. “I don’t know I still feel like I can’t be so sure.”

            “Yeah… if there’s anything else you need to talk about, I’m just a door over.”

            And with that a certain person popped his head into my room. “I promised I’d be back, didn’t I?”

            “I’ll leave you two to it then,” Jongdae got up and before leave he pets my head.

            Baekhyun walked in further into the room placing my bags on the floor by the closet and a pair of crutches. He settled himself on my bed next to me. “I surprisingly found these crutches in the storage room. Are you comfortable? Do you need another pillow, ice, a warm pack?”

            “I’m fine, Baekhyun. Please don’t over work yourself by taking care of me,” I grabbed onto his arm.

            He sighed. “Okay, okay, I won’t. I got other work that’s way more important,” I gaped at him and yet, I still giggled at the sarcasm. “So how tired are you? We’ve been up since early this morning, but I don’t think I can fall sleep just yet.”

            “I’m not too tired either. Quite awake after snapping a bone ha-ha. What did you have in mind?”

            “Well I’d like to continue our relaxing weekend together,” he was shyly speaking now. I was finding it extremely cute. Forget about me blabbing about me admiring his confidence when I’m loving him being shy. “I can set up the projector, pull up another movie, and we have electricity this time and a kitchen so I can bring up drinks and make some popcorn.”

            “I’d love that.” And the night may have ended with Baekhyun falling asleep next to me and me to him.