[8]

Love Air

            “Spring, spring, spring, spring has come~ I like it~” I sang as I walked through the cherry blossom filled campus yard.

            “You seem like you’re in a good mood,” a muffled voice sounded pass my earbuds. I took out the small pod and looked over to who suddenly was walking next to me and I was not too surprised to his face.

            I gave him a pretty large eye smile and he returned an even bigger smile. “I don’t know the mood today is just so great! The sun is out, the flowers are blooming.”

            “And you’re glowing in the sun,” he gently smiled at me. “Wow, that all sounds wonderful,” he looked at the ground as we walked on home together.

            “Oh? Did you not have a good day today?” I pouted at him upon hearing the sad tone in his voice. Baekhyun is usually in a good mood and is never really having trouble, or at least he never mentions it. “Was today troubling?”

            “It’s not anymore,” he beamed. Just to see him genuinely smiling, warms my heart.

            “Huh?” I cocked my head to the side.

            “Do you want to go camping with me?” He somewhat blurted out, randomly.

“Camping? You don’t really seem like the guy to go camping,” I gave him a confused look.

            “I wouldn’t say it’s a hobby or anything, but it’s something I like to do to relax a little after quarter finals,” he shrugged. “Do you want to come with me?”

            “I don’t know. I never really liked camping since my dad would always go out into the boonies to just fish and conditions were just horrible.”

            “This isn’t going to be like ‘real’ camping. It’s really just my car, a small woods area, and a gas stove. Plus, there’s a nice, clean bathroom like 2 minutes away,” he reasoned.

            “Well seeing how nice you are being lately and you caught me in a good mood, I’ll go.”

            “Perfect! It’ll be a weekend of fun,” he flashed his famous pearly whites and I couldn’t help but to roll my eyes at his cheeriness. He suddenly wrap and arm around my shoulders. We don’t do much hugging or any other intimate contact so this was a very surprising moment for me. He must be in a very good mood now. He let out a large and relieving sigh.

            “So are you going to tell me what went on today?” We finally made it out of school boundaries and out into the quiet streets. I guess the party stays in school courtyard.

            “Ahh,” he squeezed my shoulder and shook his head. “Today just seemed so hectic. I felt like I had no time to breathe with many of my students coming up to me with so-so many questions. Of course, I don’t mind and I’m here to help because I am a teacher, but it hurts me that they’re thinking too much of the assignment when it’s quite simple. I wish they would relax a little which is why I set them with the group project. But besides that as they lined up to ask me questions, I was replying to emails and phone calls coming from the other teachers in the department to plan out the next final and then the annual writing contest. I’m not the one in charge of any of it since I’m not a senior in our department and yet, I feel like I have to take charge in everyone’s ideas since my senior isn’t that good in planning I guess.

            I’m just feeling all the stress coming in today. It’s not unusual though. This is the usual time of year that I’m most stressed. Ah, this may be the first time I have thoroughly talk about this to someone. I do go to Chanyeol and Jongdae sometimes and they know I’m struggling but I usually just handle it alone because I didn’t want to seem like I’m complaining when I put myself through this.”

            “Oh, I’m sorry to hear that you’re having a hard time,” I gave him a sad smile. “I’m here with you though so I’m glad I can be of help to have you destress!”

            “Yes, you’re absolutely the best,” he beamed at me once again.

 

            “You know, I didn’t really realize it when you mentioned it but I did not know you had a car nor did I ever imagine that you drove an SUV,” I laughed a little.

            “Oh yeah? What car were you imagining?” He raised an eyebrow.

            “I don’t know, maybe like, an Audi or something,” I shrugged my shoulders. With the way Baekhyun dresses sometimes which could be full on Supreme or mixes of Balenciaga, I kind of imagined him to match his car. Something black and sleek, just a little something that matches the hype that Baekhyun sports.

            “Ha-ha and what if I told you I do own one?”

            “Well, do you?”

            “Maybe,” he winked and I rolled my eyes. “You perhaps didn’t know because this is a place that you have to walk in and not drive in so I don’t use this car much. It’s pretty much always hidden back in the garage that no one ever goes to.

            Sure the others have cars for when they need to go out to the bigger city but we really rarely use cars so there’s no point in owning a fancy car like an Audi out here but when I need to impress someone then I bring it out.”

            “Impress someone? Who you trying to impress?”

            He shrugged his shoulders and took my bag to place in the trunk. “Just when someone I fancy comes around.”

            I laughed. “Whatever, Byun. You also mentioned you don’t have a tent either?”

            “Ah, well, as much as I enjoy the outdoors, sleeping outside is my limit. It’s totally okay though because I find it much better and comfortable sleeping in my car. I just pull down the back seats and stare at the stars through the panoramic roof. Another reason why I enjoy the SUV.”

 

            After a couple more minutes, we settled down in the car and made our way to wherever Baekhyun had made his relaxation destination. He had said it’ll take some time to actually reach the spot so knowing me, I decided to take a nap. Long car rides always make me fall asleep. Some people say the slight rocking and bumps from the road mimic the movement from inside the womb. Whatever that means but the slight movements do make me feel more relax.

            “Seoul… Seoul, wake up,” Baekhyun was gently shaking my shoulder. I groaned a bit feeling the soreness in my neck begin to form. He let out a soft chuckle as I slowly opened my eyes with a slight pout of my lips. His body was halfway out the car from the driver side, stretching his body over the seat to reach me. “We’re here. Luckily, there’s no need for much of a set up but if you want to stretch out a bit and walk around then it’d be best if you come outside.”

            He slithered out the car and shut the door. I let out a big yawn before muttering how tired I was and then getting out. It was very bright outside with it being midday in all but the camping space was very open with its casual tree here and there which I assumed is why it seemed a lot brighter than before since there wasn’t tall buildings blocking the sky and giving too much shade to us small people on the ground.

            Not only was it really clear but it was also very green. The grass looked freshly cut as if someone made daily clips to make sure the land was laid even. The leaves were clean and very soft with no damages; it was almost cookie cutter like. What was this place?

            “It’s nice isn’t it?” Baekhyun questioned as he noticed my eyes wondering about and not my feet which stayed planted by the car.

            “Huh?”

            He chuckled again. I could honestly just listen to him laugh all day long. Am I falling too hard for him? “You weren’t moving for a bit after coming out the car. Are you okay?”

            “Oh… yeah, I just never been to a place like this before. It’s so perfect and the kind of nature that I imagined. I guess my dad’s style of camping has kind of ruined the whole ‘getting out of the city to enjoy nature’ vibe.

            Maybe ruin is too harsh of a word. He showed me the reality of what nature is that us, privileged human beings wouldn’t find very hospitable. That’s it right there.”

            “Ah I see,” he nodded his head as he continued setting up the campfire spot. “Hm, I want to say I can get that. Ha-ha, my family never really went camping and when we did we went to one of those camp sites that you can rent.”

            “Like this?”

            “Sort of. Those were a lot nicer since they had more amenities like a convenience store nearby, bathrooms with large showers, and fun family activities that the camp sets up. Here though, we just have a decently sized bathroom with like two shower rooms and camping here is free and we have signal. All we have to do is respect the place and not leave a mess. Plus no one really camps out here so you can say this is an upgrade version of your dad’s camping.”

            I nodded my head in agreement. “Do you know why it’s so well kept here? The grass seems to be cut so evenly and the trees are so kept well together.”

            “That could be just God doing his many wonders on nature.”

            “True but is there anything more than just God?”

            “Ah, well I suppose the city is paying people to keep the place neat. The park may seem large but I think its small enough for them to roam the land with those grass cutter tractors. The trees, I’m not too sure about that. Now that could be God’s work.”

            I laughed and finally moved from my fixed spot to watch him set up, crouching down next to him as he was also squatting to fiddle with the bundle of sticks in the pit. “Was this campfire thing already here?” Taking notice how the ring of bricks has black marks on it from past burnings. There was even left over ashes in it which was surprising that it survived the winter blasts.

            “Kind of. I personally made this my spot so this was all my doing. The fire is really only for warmth and marshmallows. Anything else, I use the mini stove.”

            “How’d you find this place?” I had so many questions that just started flooding through my mind. It was so interesting to see this man in an almost utopic environment where he did not belong in. Just looking at him now, Baekhyun was wearing a Gucci sweatshirt with light blue jeans and some nice looking Nike sneakers as well as sporting the trendy soft permed hair. He really looked your typical city boy and he did not belong out here in this beautiful nature like this. Of course, I didn’t look like I belonged here either with my cropped jumper, black Adidas leggings, and white court shoes. Too street styled for a land of grass.

            Baekhyun hummed. I’m glad that he didn’t seemed annoyed with all my questions. “A colleague of mine took me camping here with him a long while ago. He camps on the other side though closer to the pond and there’s a lot more shade too. He likes it there because he likes to fish but I’m not into fishing so when I decided to come out here by myself I found this spot because of the openness and it seemed more serene.

            I feel like some people might think it’s more isolated feeling because of the bare amount of trees, but I think it’s more peaceful that way. There’s nothing out there to distract me and make me feel small from the closeness of the trees. And thinking about being at home, I feel small hidden within the building walls, my classroom. This side of the park makes feel big and I can freely do what I want.”

            Baekhyun feeling small? It put me in awe the more I learn about this man. He is human as everyone else is and everyone has their bits of insecurities. Baekhyun expresses himself in such a way that makes him so big and bright as he illuminates the world with his happiness, his laughs, and his smiles. Geez, I must be going on too much about him. He’s so intriguing to me. The confidence he has is incredible. The fact that he asked me, a girl, to go camping with him, just him! And I’ve only known him for nearly half a year. I would say we have grown a lot closer in that half year, I just wouldn’t have the courage to ask him to go on a trip together with purely just the two of us in an isolated area. Might sound like a plan for murder to be honest?

            “Wow…” I was lost for words. He turned his head towards with a gentle smile. He blinked his eyes slowly at me as he took in this moment of us just staring at each other. This was something we usually did when we confess something real about ourselves. I wasn’t sure why we did it. I, at least, feel safer and at ease to know that he was genuinely listening and showing in his expression that he cares and is glad that he can be that person that I can tell my insecurities to. Hopefully that’s what his expression reads. I’m not an expert expression reader. I more hope that he sees that in my face as well.

            The tension wasn’t strong, but I was probably mad blushing at his soft look to me. “So what do you usually do out here?” Trying to change the subject and hope that he stops looking at me so I can hide my red face.

            The look on his face continued to stay soft as he turned away from me to continue the set up. “Honestly, nothing much. I hope you aren’t expecting too much like doing fun activities in all. I like to bring out a good book or two that I’ve been trying to finish. There’s also me catching up on movies and TV shows, even a simple call to my parents sometimes. I know I could do this all at home but like said, there’s no distractions here.

            And with you here with me, I imagined this could be the perfect place to talk with nothing stopping our conversation beside sleep. Someone to just share the peaceful air with. It’s always just me here since Jongdae and Chanyeol don’t like camping and I think they’d ruin the relaxation.”

            It was hard to hide my smile as I bit my lip and I’m sure it was harder to hide the blush painting my cheeks once again. He wanted to share his secret getaway with me.

            “I have a question too if you don’t mind,” he spoke up as he stood up, wiping his hands on his jeans before lending a hand out to me to help me stand up as well. I gladly accepted his hand with a nod of my head. “I heard girls tend to over pack for 2-day trips and I’m not sure if it’s all that true but you did bring two bags with you. So I’m wondering what you brought with you. Your entire wardrobe?”

            I burst out laughing. “I’d need a whole suitcase at that. I wouldn’t say over packed. I’m just very prepared for the slightest bad thing to happen. Jokes aside, my backpack has the necessities and I’m very glad that you mentioned catching up on movies because in my other bag I have prepared a portable projector.”

            “A projector? How portable is this thing?”

            “Oh, you’d be surprise what you can find on Amazon,” I said running back to the car to grab the said item in the bag. “You can either plug it into the wall like any other device or let run it on batteries! I brought spare batteries in case it runs out but I had this for a while now so I got to run a few tests on it and it seems to run for a very long time.”

            “Oh wow,” Baekhyun took the device from my hands, checking it out for himself.

            “I wasn’t too sure how well the setup of this camp site was going to be and I feel it was a valid assumption to think there was going to be trees around in order to hang the bedsheet up as the screen,” I pulled out the neatly folded sheet and looked at Baekhyun innocently. I really did go on this camping trip not knowing much of the place so bringing this seemed a bit of taking a chance if we were going to use it or not. However taking a bit of look around, Baekhyun parked the car next to a tree and next to that tree was another tree! Surprise, surprise. I mean who would have guess there was another tree? There are trees all around us. And it was pretty good distance to for the bedsheet to be taut enough for the screen to be smooth.

            “This is perfect! I’ll have to move the car over which isn’t too much of a bother and we’ll have a better view of the open sky above us as we sleep!” He wiggled in excitement. “This is so good, Seoul! We can use my laptop since I have a spare battery. Oh my gosh, I can’t wait!”

            It warmed my heart so much to see Baekhyun so excited over such as small thing that I prepared when he prepared everything else to keep us warm, fed, and sheltered for this trip.

            Afterwards Baekhyun helped me set up the bedsheet, tying the corners to the branches to then moving the car around to face the sheet, pulling down the seats, and lying out the blankets across the car floor. Night was falling faster than I realized when I started to shiver. Baekhyun had the fire going already and was set on making dinner after he changed into a pair of sweats and warning me to not come to the front of the car or even to turn around so he can change multiple times.

            He also mentioned that he usually does his dinner really simple so tonight was tteokbokki and tomorrow will be ramen. I honestly was fine with it because I’m not into too extravagant foods so simple was best for me.

 

            “What movie were thinking of watching?” Baekhyun had his laptop opened, the blue light illuminating his face.

            “I didn’t really put much thought into that part ha-ha!”

            “No worries. We’ll find something to watch,” he tapped the keyboard a couple times. “Think of something and I’ll put it up.”

            I was happy that he was willing to watch whatever I wanted, but this was his trip that I was only tagging along for the sake of relaxing with him. “What about you, Baekhyun? Is there a movie that you want to watch?”

            “Oh… uhm…” he sat on my question for a bit. “I’m not too sure. There’s too many movies that I’ve been wanting to see.”

            “Then how about you list out the movies you want and I’ll pick out the one to watch.”

            “I like that idea,” he smiled. He listed out about 5 or so movies, a few I’ve been also been hoping to see in theatres.

            “Along With the Gods? I’ve been really meaning to watch, especially since they put it on Netflix.” Baekhyun agreed and began the setup of connecting his laptop to the projector and propping it next to the machine on the mini table.

            It was quite satisfying seeing how perfectly clean the setup was. I was already situated inside the back of the car, wrapped in my blanket, and leaning against the side of the car.

            “Alright! Let’s get comfy,” Baekhyun excitedly and gathered himself on his side of the bed, leaning against the side wall as well. We were mirrored images of each other and with some distance between us. Not too close and not too far from each other.

            I can tell the movie was close to coming to an end but it was hard to keep my eyes open and I was surprised that it did not go notice by the male beside me.

            “Should we head to bed, Seoul?” I heard softly speak. His voice sounded close. I was too scared to open my eyes and turn my head towards him in fear that he was closer to me than I would think he was.

            “Yeah…” I softly breathed.

            “Okay. Just lean back and go to sleep. I’ll put everything away,” he continued to speak quietly in hopes to not wake me up any more than I already was.

            As much as I wanted to knock out right then and there, I wasn’t comfortable enough to just fall asleep on my own so I sleepily waited for Baekhyun to return to the car. And soon enough, I heard him shuffling into the car and then the closing of the trunk door.

            Baekhyun threw on half his blanket on me and tucking it under making sure I was warm enough. It warmed me immediately both physically and internally. I brought my own big, fluffy blanket and yet, he still wanted to make sure that I was comfortable and warm. It was going to get cold later in since we rolled the windows down a little to let in fresh air and so when we wake up in the morning the car won’t be suffocating.

 

            I woke up in the middle of the night feeling the need to pee. I hate that. Why can’t I just peacefully sleep through in the morning and wake up then to use the bathroom. However, I guess it is partially my fault that I didn’t use the bathroom before sleeping as I would usually do at home after I shower. The bathroom was just too ‘far’ to go to and I was pretty much already sleeping before falling in my deep slumber for the last few hours leading up to this waking up moment.

            I silently move the blanket out from my body and slowly pulled on the car door handle. I didn’t want to wake up Baekhyun from opening the trunk and I also assumed that you couldn’t open the trunk from the inside anyway so the only means of escape was from the backseat doors.

            Stepping out, the cold crisp night air hit me immediately making me shiver. Before the movie I put on a bigger and thicker sweatshirt on but it was still so cold compared to the insulated car. I shrugged myself and pulled the large hood over my head and trudged on towards the bathroom.

            Upon reaching the small building, I was quite surprised to see how bright it was. The assumption of camp site bathrooms is that they’re dirty, and barely lit giving it that creepy vibe and you’ll either find a murdered body in one of the stalls or a ghost waiting behind you after washing your hands. This bathroom was different. Instead of the bright white, blueish LED lights, it was more of a warm orange tinge giving it a more comfortable vibe? It was hard to describe but it was not creepy with dim lighting. Walking inside was an experience. It was so clean and bright. This was no prison bathroom. This was a mall bathroom. Dark, marble, counter tops and white sink bowls and then the stalls were fully enclosed all around with space inside and a polished white toilet. Maybe because I’m still in a case of sleeping dust but I was overly impressed by this bathroom.

            I shut the door behind me and quickly made by way back to the warmth of the car. I think I was making my way too quickly that I tripped on my own feet and fell to the ground with a yelp. My ankle throbbed painfully, nearly to the point that I might let out a couple tears from the pain.

            “,” I muttered. “This damn hood!” I threw the hood off my head. The hood is really big for my head, possibly to accommodate for the large cut of the sweater but because of that it’s hard to see my own feet and the hood slips down to cover my heads all the time.

            I shook my head thinking that the pain was only temporary, I lifted myself off the ground to only fall back down when a sharp pain shot through my ankle. I let out another yelp, slamming against the cold ground.

            “Seoul? Is that you?” Baekhyun came shuffling in the dark using his phone as a flashlight. He gasped when he saw me on the ground. “Are you okay? What happened? I thought I heard you screamed and when I saw you not next to me, I came out to look for you.”

            “I just needed to use the bathroom and I tripped on my way back,” I pouted. “I think I sprained my foot or something.”

            “Let’s go to the hospital, okay?” He took my arms into his hands and lifted me up.

            “Ow, ow, ow,” I whined in pain.

            “This isn’t going to work. You’ll have to get on my back,” I didn’t have time to respond when he turned around and bent down, pulling me onto him. This was a bit of an urgent matter so I complied, in contrary with typical romance dramas, there was no blush decorating my cheeks.

            He made hurried steps back to the car. I let my head fall into the crook of his neck; guilt sinking thinking that I probably ruined this trip that was meant to be worried free and now I’m making him worried to take care of me.

            Baekhyun swung open the passenger door, gently throwing my bag on the seat to the back, and turning around to set me down inside. “Wait here okay? I’ll pack our things and we’ll be on our way soon.” Before leaving, he bent down to adjust the seat to pull it back nearly all the way so I have more leg room to better extend out my injured foot. As soon as he left, he pulled the trunk open and messily threw in our stuff. Luckily, he didn’t bring a whole lot with him so packing everything back in quickly wasn’t a hassle.

            Baekhyun return to the driver seat with a bit of sweat dripping down his forehead as he heavily breathed and started up the car. “Are you okay? Are you comfortable?”

            “I’m okay.”

            “Are you sure? Are you cold? Should I turn up the heat? Is your seatbelt on?”

            “Baek…” I called his name, softly. He turned his face and looked up into my eyes. I unconsciously reached out to palm the side of his face. I feel him stiffen. “I’m okay. Are you okay?”

            He silently nodded his head slowly in order to keep my hand on him. “You must be exhausted right now. Please drive safely.”

            “I will,” he let out a gentle smile and lifted up his hand to pull my hand down to only cup it against his on top of the middle console.

     


Hope you enjoyed such a LONG update EEEEEK this was like ten pages long T~T but it was worth it~