boxes

in this handmade heaven
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

9.

 

it felt like they’d been working in the baby room for centuries now. maybe they really had. all yongsun could remember from the last couple of weeks was being stuck in the apartment while trying to fit all the presents hyejin and wheein had given them into closets and even boxes that’d been saved under their bed. 

 

so she could only sigh in relief when the last pair of tiny purple socks were placed in one of the three dressers byulyi had bought online just a few days ago. the sigh seemed to echo back to her, this time coming from her wife. 

 

the now very round byulyi sat on the rocking chair, her now favorite spot other than the couch and the treadmill out in the balcony that she’d been so adamant in buying. a collection of children’s books was stocked in a pile next to her. byul was deep in thought reading one of those, hand on her belly, as the chair rocked back and forth. 

 

“i told you to put those on the shelves.” yongsung complained from her spot on the floor. 

 

“how is harry potter a children’s book? this stuff would terrify anyone.” 

 

“i’ve read it and it doesn’t terrify me.” 

 

with no other option, yong stood up and took the book away from byul. the shelves started to get filled by wheein’s presents. boxes and boxes of books had been emptied in the last few weeks and finally, this was the last one. byul had been bothering her wife since she’d woken up, complaining about being bored, and so yong had give her the task to help her finish the baby’s room. 

 

after three books had been placed in their designated spot, the blonde had been distracted by the rest and stopped doing her job. but now she was helping with handing the hard-working singer the rest of the tomes. 

 

it took some time, but at last, the final box was empty. yong allowed herself to fall back into one of the fluffy white sofas they had in the room. for a few seconds, she closed her eyes and relaxed. it was just a matter of time before byul’s voice reached her ears again. 

 

“yong, i’m still bored.” 

 

yongsun had been doubtful of her parenting skills when they decided to have the baby. never in her life did she actually think it would work as fast as it did. nervousness had taken a toll on her and for months she’d been overthinking her ability to care for a child. 

 

but as byulyi grew more pregnant and less able to move around and do as she pleased, the more yongsun discovered that it’d be easier to deal with a baby than to deal with a cranky moonbyul. 

 

in surrender, yong opened her eyes and turned to face her wife. “what do you want to do?” 

 

a shrug. 

 

well, that was an idea. 

 

“i know being stuck at home for so long is awful but we've made it so far, haven't we?” yongsun reassured. 

 

they were one month away from the baby being born. the date had been set, the hospital room booked, the doctors aware. the couple knew they should be panicking. that’s what they’d read in so many books and seen on many videos. those final days before the baby was born were the most unnerving ones. 

 

truth be told, they both seemed more preoccupied with the colors for the bedroom and takeout than anything else. maybe it was because they were used to be under a lot of pressure already. perhaps it was because reality hadn’t completely grasped their minds, and it only

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter