evening

in this handmade heaven
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

8.

 

the room was yellow. not exactly the color byul had always dreamed of, but yongsun had insisted. she remembered her wife going on about how baby’s love the color, or something along those lines. byulyi wasn’t too sure, she’d fallen asleep to the sound of yong’s voice on that particular night, accommodating herself as best as she could in the crook of her neck. 

 

cuddling wasn’t as easy as it used to be and it bothered byul. she used to adore affection, specially if it came from yongsun and yongsun only, but now that attachment to her wife had become stronger than ever. 

 

whenever yong had to leave to house to run errands, film, get groceries, or even just to get some fresh air, byulyi would lie down on the bed in utter misery. as soon as she heard the door creak open, she’d be on her feet as fast as she could with her now considerably grown belly and jump into yong’s arms.

 

most of the times the bags yong was carrying would end up on the floor. other times it was takeout. one particular day it was her camera. byulyi had been able to retrieve the memory card and everything that’d been filmed successfully. and also, searching for a new camera online and proceeding to order the most expensive one had given her something to do. it was no surprise that she was the only one who was glad the camera broke. 

 

on the weekend, however, yongsun had taken the job of preparing the baby’s room into her own hands. byulyi hadn’t been feeling too well in the morning, so yong had to almost tie her up to the sofa to prevent her from getting up and trying to help with the room decoration.

 

moonbyul was sulking. she was sulking in the worst way possible, something yongsun hadn’t seen since they met. 

 

“please.” byul would beg from the couch. despite being surrounded by food, a warm blanket, iced tea and netflix on their large tv screen, she was still restless. 

 

“no, byul.” 

 

“this is supposed to be something we should be doing together, you know.” 

 

she did have a point, yong considered. but deep down she knew that it was revenge for her now dead camera. the eldest smirked playfully as she finished assembling the crib. it hadn’t been easy. as much as she hated to admit it, she’d need to ask byul to check if all the screws were in the right place and tight enough so it didn’t come crashing down. baby and all.

 

but that could wait until tomorrow. 

 

“yoooooooong.” another whine from the living room. this time, byulyi had resorted to dramatically sitting on the floor, covers pooling around her, a bag of nachos making a mess.

 

she enjoyed those little moments when she got the chance to tease byul back. usually it was the other way around, with yongsun suffering the ends of her wife’s pranks. it felt good to finally be on the other side of the table.

 

her mistake was taking a quick glance at byulyi as she moved from one side of the room to the other. yong was sure she was being over-dramatic. puppy eyes, quivering lower lip, sad face. the hand caressing the baby bump was a nice touch, something byulyi knew her wife wasn’t going to be able to take. 

 

“fine.” yongsun snapped in defeat. in the blink of an eye, moonbyul was up and inside their baby’s room. “careful, byul-ah.” 

 

“are you sure this is safe?” she was examining the crib. of course she was checking the crib. byul did not trust yong’s building abilities. for once, yong could not blame her. 

 

“you can check it later. help me with these.” 

 

it was as if hyejin and wheein gambled on who could gift more clothes. the girls had had to ask manager unnie and three more staff members to come and help them get all the bags into their apartment. now, it was their job to take every single piece of clothing out so they could fold it and put it inside the closet yongsun was sure she had incorrectly built too.

 

it did look like it was leaning to the side just a bit. art, she'd call it. like the great tower of pisa. until it, too, collapsed after all their sweat and effort.

 

the pair sat two chairs. byul on a rocking chair, yong in a tiny stuffed-frog toddler seat , surrounded by bags. they started. one by one. 

 

“we should get a house.” byulyi said after a while.

 

“what’s wrong with the apartment?” 

 

the place was big. it’d been yongsun’s before they got married, but byul had been living there years before that. the rapper still had her own place but now it was her sister’s home. they’d called the apartment home for many years, celebrating birthdays and holidays in it for years, but now, as they sat in the middle of a packed bedroom, it looked tiny. 

 

“nothing.” said byul as she shrugged, folding an orange onesie with a pumpkin design, placing it aside carefully. “i just feel like we need more space. we can afford it.”

 

t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter