Part 9

Amazing You

“What happened to you?”

 

Moonbyul pouted her lips as I invited her into the apartment. Wheein was at Moonbyul’s place since Hyejin contacted her earlier on. So, the couple exchanged partners for the night.

 

“She’s being unreasonable!”

 

“What is it?”

 

“Didn’t Wheein tell you?”

 

“She said Hyejin ordered her to go over as soon as possible. You were just seconds later from her. You didn’t see my fiancée at the lift lobby?”

 

“I took the stairs.”

 

“Okay, that explained much. So, tell me what happened.”

 

I poured her a glass of water. Moonbyul was clearly distraught and unhappy over something. But she took her time and I allowed her to take a breather before I urged her to continue.

 

“You know she’s pregnant, right?”

 

“Yes, vividly.”

 

“I was out with my colleagues for dinner. I got home like later than usual. She got mad at me the moment I entered the house.”

 

“Did you inform her?”

 

“I did!”

 

“What exactly did you tell her?”

 

“Baby, I’d come home late because I’m having dinner with my team.”

 

“And what did she say?”

 

“She didn’t reply.”

 

“You texted her?”

 

“Yes?”

 

“Shouldn’t you be calling her?”

 

“What’s wrong with texting her?”

 

“She’s pregnant. She’s at her sensitive prime now.”

 

Moonbyul stared at me for a second before she glanced down to my protruding tummy. She then clasped her palms on my stomach; caressing it gently.

 

“Are you having the same issue as her?”

 

“I’m having twins, so I’m twice sensitive than her.”

 

“Yikes. Poor Wheein.”

 

“Shut up.”

 

She gave a sheepish grin before she gently rubbed my stomach. Then she frowned.

 

“You’re really huge.”

 

“Are you here to annoy another pregnant woman or something?”

 

“I was just saying! Geez, you two need to calm your .”

 

“As I was asking, why didn’t you call her?”

 

“How is it that this conversation is making me eat my heart out?”

 

“Are you feeling guilty now?”

 

“Pregnant Mommies are scary.”

 

“That comes naturally. Anyway, you should have called her. You know, she might be having some heart burn or some pee wee issue. The baby pushing into our bladders is not helping at all. And I have two heads pushing my bladder at the same time. It’s purely torture.”

 

“I was in a hurry. I didn’t have a chance to call her. My boss was dragging me by my collar.”

 

“Then why didn’t you explain it to her?”

 

“She said get out. Don’t come back. Leave me alone. I want to die.”

 

“Gosh, Hyejin. She’s so dramatic.”

 

“Tell me about it!”

 

I was amused. I could understand why Moonbyul was distraught. She was confused with Hyejin’s reactions. Wheein came late too. She called earlier on about a team’s dinner. She was with Moonbyul at that time too.

 

“I think Wheein will explain to her.”

 

“I just want to know why she’s so mad at me lately. Like she’s so quick to shout at me; vent on me like I did a huge mistake.”

 

“She might have felt something.”

 

“Like what? I don’t see you flaring up at Wheein.”

 

“I don’t know. Why don’t you talk to Hyejin?”

 

“She shut me out. She said I don’t understand her. I’m trying to but how could I when she’s not saying anything? I’m pretty dense, you know.”

 

“Glad you know that.”

 

“Shut up, Yong. You’re not helping at all.”

 

I could see Moonbyul’s frustrations. She pulled her hair and screamed out to nobody. She was probably stressed out too. I heard from Wheein that the new sales directors were expecting a lot from them. Wheein was pressured too. But she communicated it well to me; whenever she could.

 

“Are you tired?”

 

“Tired, yes. But no, I’m not tired of Hyejin.”

 

“Did you help her out at home?”

 

“Yes, I do. I’ll do laundry, clean up the place and make lunch and dinner on weekends.”

 

“How about weekdays?”

 

“I got home around 9pm. Had dinner; washed up; I often ko-ed after I’m done bathing.”

 

“You don’t spend time with Hyejin on weeknights?”

 

Moonbyul suddenly straightened her back. Something flashed past her eyes and I knew she started to figure out the constant arguments between Hyejin and her. She looked at me; aghast.

 

“Wheein’s tired too. But she will always tell me about her day in bed. It might just be a half an hour talk but that’s enough for me. At least I knew what she went through and she understood how my days were too.”

 

“So, you think Hyejin might felt left out?”

 

“Hyejin probably wanted to share her moments with you too but you were too tired to even talk to her.”

 

“But we hardly talk during dinner time.”

 

“She probably knew you were tired then. You just got home. Why don’t you just spend some time in bed; talking to her? Even if you fall asleep on her, I think Hyejin wouldn’t mind because she at least knows what you went through during the work.”

 

Moonbyul kept her silence. But I know my best friend loves her wife. I was there at her wedding; in fact, we had a joint celebration in Canada. We decided to get married on the same day. Moonbyul’s wedding vows made people cry. I was one of them even though I wasn’t the bride.

 

But of course, I cried the most when Wheein declared her love for me. Her wedding vows simply moved me to tears and I couldn’t handle them. I cried like a baby. It was such a scene.

 

-

 

We flew to Canada; taking our families and close friends with us. We invited a few; who truly understood us; who accepted us as we are. The wedding ceremony took place in a church; it was ironic because of religion beliefs but apparently, this was the only church who could accept such same weddings.

 

I couldn’t care much. I just wanted to be with Wheein; to be Wheein’s legal wife. She made me realize that my life started with her; I want to end it with her by my side; as my legal person. The night before the flight, Wheein came over to my place. My parents and my sisters were excited about the wedding. They were having their own celebration without me. I wasn’t invited because apparently, they had something important to discuss during the ceremony. So, I was left alone at home, but my fiancée decided to keep me company.

 

“People say it’s bad luck if you see your bride before the wedding itself.”

 

“I’m still going to stay by your side no matter what luck this marriage brings me.”

 

“I’m taking word for word, Jung Wheein.”

 

“Don’t worry, baby. I’m never ever going to stay away from your side. I’ll stick with you like glue.”

 

“Anyway, how much did you spend on this wedding?”

 

Wheein refused to let me chip in. She said she had everything covered. My super capable woman; but I still wanted to be part of it. She then told me she could pay for our friends’ flight tickets which I gladly did.

 

“Let’s say, I spent about 3 months of my old salary.”

 

“JUNG WHEEIN! THAT’S ALMOST $100K?!”

 

Wheein stuck her tongue out. I felt bad. I know she earned more than me, but it was such an exuberant wedding. I felt like a simple wedding would suffice but she thought otherwise.

 

“Don’t worry too much. I have been saving up since I started working as an auditor.”

 

“Hmm?”

 

“I started saving when I started my first job as an auditor. I just thought I should for our future. At that point of time, I didn’t have the thoughts of getting married or settle down. I mean, I saw how marriage destroyed my family; my parents tore apart and I grew up mostly on my own or with my late grandmother. I didn’t want that. I mean, I had a bad impression of marriages. I felt that I could live with someone but minus the weddings and everything.”

 

Wheein was staring into my eyes earnestly. I could see the truth in her eyes. She probably wanted me to understand her, so I just nodded; I gave her a tight hug and urged her to carry on.

 

“But after that horrible incident, how I caused this scar across your face, I suddenly had this strongest urge to settle down with you. I had numerous dreams of you; waiting for me at the other end of the tunnel; a light shone above you like as though you were wearing a halo; like an angel waiting for me to come through. And each time I reached the end of the tunnel, I would wake up with me in your arms as your gaze bored into mine; with so much love and forever.

 

That was when I knew. I need to marry you. I need to make you mine, forever and everlasting. I need to make this legal.”

 

I was tearing up. There was so much honesty in her voice. She was articulating her words with so much deliberation and I knew she needed me to know why this marriage is important to her and how she didn’t care about the cost or how much she would spend.

 

All she knew was, to make me her wife.

 

“Thank you, Wheein.”

 

“No, I have to thank you. You make me understood the meaning of love. How your heart belongs to me. How your love makes me feel and I know if I lose you or lose your heart; or lose your love; I could never be the same person again. I could never be Jung Wheein like how you make me now.”

 

I just wanted to marry her quickly.

 

-

 

We were preparing for the ceremony. Hyejin and Wheein wore dresses. Moonbyul and I decided to settle with suits. We looked better in them. Hyejin and Wheein wore low-cut dresses while Moonbyul settled for a baby blue suit. Wheein chose a baby pink for me.

 

“Why baby pink?”

 

“Cuz you look cute in them.”

 

“Do I?”

 

“Always, baby.”

 

“Why is Yongsun unnie wearing a suit?”

 

Moonbyul was still puzzled with our decision.

 

“Isn’t she the bottom?”

 

“Stop categorizing me like that. I’m the domineering one.”

 

Wheein’s cheeks were blushing red while Hyejin giggled softly. Moonbyul was stunned with the revelation.


“ARE YOU SERIOUS?!”

 

“Shut up, Moonbyul!”

 

“You’re , aren’t you?!”

 

“Honestly, I could be more ert than you.”

 

Moonbyul stared at me from head to toe. My best friend was acting like an today. I smacked her forehead.

 

“You don’t believe me?”

 

“I’m so inclined not to.”

 

“Sleep with me. I’ll show you.”

 

I purposely leaned closer; my bottom lip and Moonbyul freaked out. She ran behind Hyejin and whimpered like a child.

 

“Hyejin ah, Yongsun unnie is scary.”

 

“Who asked you to disturb her?”

 

“I was just playing a fool, but that woman is taking a step further.”

 

“You are an .”

 

“Fine, but you don’t have to scare me like that!”

 

We were arguing for a bit more before Tiffany unnie knocked our foreheads with her knuckles. She was more the disciplinarian. She couldn’t handle confrontations.

 

“Get into places! The ceremony is starting soon! And stop arguing. Move!”

 

Maybe it was our mistake to appoint her as our wedding planner. She was such a regimental planner.

 

“Moon, Sun, altar. Wind, flower, bride’s room!”

 

We quickly moved into our own places but not before I grabbed Wheein by her waist and then kissed her hard on her lips. She smiled widely.

 

“I’m marrying you today.”

 

“Yes, we are. I’m marrying you too.”

 

I was beaming happily.

 

-

 

“Miss Jung, are you ready?”

 

Wheein nodded. It was her turn to say her vows. Moonbyul and Hyejin’s ceremony was over. They did their first and now declared legally wife and wife.

 

It was our turn and I was sweating bullets. I have never been so nervous before but Wheein’s smile was assuring. She gave me so much confidence with that subtle squeeze of my hand.

 

She then took the microphone and held my hand tightly. She cleared before speaking into the microphone.

 

“Hi? Can everyone here me?”

 

Everyone echoed yes.

 

“Great, so it’s my turn to say my wedding vows. But suddenly I felt that Yongsun deserves more than just words. I made a huge promise to her parents that I’ll take good care of her for all my life. And yesterday, I was at this CD shop; trying to calm my nerves for today’s wedding. So, instead of just saying my vows, I want to sing to her with no accompanist. Just my voice. Is that okay, darling?”

 

She looked at me; seeking for permission. Damn it, I don’t care what she was going to do. She can act or do a musical for me; I don’t really care. So, I nodded my head.

 

She was nervous, I could see it in her eyes. But then, she started singing. Have I ever told you that my future wife has a voice of an angel? Her singing could move mountains. I swear she could.

 

When I was lost, I could not see all the beauty and wonder wrapping around me; I was alone dreaming of you, oh, I could not imagine this dream coming true; so much joy now in all that I touch; you make me feel everything so much;

 

I will love you for the earth at my feet; I will love you for the sun in the sky; I will love you for the falling rain, oh, oh, I will love you for the heart that could break; I will love you for the dreams that we share; I will love you for the falling rain oh,oh

 

Face in the wind, tears from my eyes

Baby, where have you been?

But I was always waiting for you to pull back the door;

To take me by the hand and lead me through;

This whole world was a stranger to me;

Now you have opened my heart to everything

 

I will love you for the earth at my feet; I will love you for the sun in the sky; I will love you for the falling rain, oh, oh, I will love you for the heart that could break; I will love you for the dreams that we share; I will love you for the falling rain oh,oh

 

I couldn’t help but started shedding tears. Wheein has the perfect voice; she had won many singing competitions, but she hardly sings to me. She was too shy to do so.

 

But not today. Today, she was singing to me. She was singing without music; her voice was sweet and melodious, and my heart was caught up with many emotions and my memories kept rushing into my mind.

 

When she finally stopped; there was a long silence before she took both of my hands and held tightly. Everyone was still entranced by her singing.

 

“My dear wife, you moved me. From the earth, to the sun and to the falling rain, I promise I’ll always love you. My world revolves around you. And for all the elements on this Earth, I promise, I’ll walk with you till the end of our lives.”

 

There was the song; the ring; the blessings and of course, her. I was married to the woman I love so much for the rest of my life.

 

-

 

I persuaded Moonbyul to give in to Hyejin. Be the bigger person and besides Hyejin’s pregnant. Pregnant woman always wins.

 

“What should I say to her?”

 

“Say I love you and forgive me?”

 

“So simple as that?”

 

“Have you been telling her how much you love her?”

 

Moonbyul shook her head. Marriage made her complacent. She forgot about her romantic days.

 

“Ever since you married her, have you done any romantic gestures for her?”

 

She gave a wry smile, but I knew she understood my words. She then stood up and took a deep breath.

 

“Are you ready to go back now?”

 

“I guess it’s my insensitivity towards Hyejin that causes the drift. I should have been more understanding, more patient and more loving since she’s carrying our little darling.”

 

“Just tell her you love her and spend at least 20 minutes in bed; sharing your days with each other.”

 

“Thanks Unnie. I’ll do that.”

 

She got up to the door; I was struggling to get up from sofa because of the twins. They were growing too big in me. I couldn’t even find the floor sometimes.

 

“You don’t have to see me off. You look like a cow by the way.”

 

“Shut up. Just go.”

 

Moonbyul stuck her tongue out. But even before she could open the door, someone beat her to it. She was stunned to find Hyejin at the gate. She was looking all forlorn. Moonbyul studied her facial expressions carefully and remembered Yongsun’s words.

 

Yongsun was right. Hyejin looked exhausted. She quickly opened the gate and pulled Hyejin into her arms; she hugged her wife tightly.

 

“I’m sorry, baby.”

 

Moonbyul was quick to apologize. And Hyejin burst into tears. The wife was panicking. Wheein was amused and I was stuck to the sofa. I was too lazy to get up. No, it was more like I couldn’t get up at all. Wheein noticed it so she went straight for me; leaving the couple at our front door.

 

“What? What happened? Why are you crying?!”

 

“I wanted to apologize first!”

 

“Okay, I take back my words!”

 

“No, that’s not what I mean! I wanted to say sorry to you because I have been unreasonable and sensitive about everything. I’m just tired; this little darling wouldn’t stop kicking.”

 

Moonbyul then moved her palms and placed them gently on Hyejin’s stomach. She massaged gently and then caressed Hyejin’s stomach with ease.

 

“I’m sorry, baby. I’m really really sorry. I should have been more understanding. I never realized that you needed me on weeknights. I just cared about my own being and forgot about you.”

 

“But you were tired.”

 

“No, even though so, I think you’re equally tired. You carry this little darling around with you; and cook for me; clean the house and be a good wife to me. I’m just too dense to realize that you needed me at the end of the day.”

 

“I didn’t tell you.”

 

“I know. You’re being considerate towards me. I’m the one who’s not taking good care of your needs. I’m sorry. Forgive me?”

 

Hyejin nodded and smiled. They reconciled much to my delight. Wheein was smiling widely too. She must have said something to Hyejin too. It must be a pushing factor because Hyejin was about to kick the door down if not for Moonbyul.

 

They returned to the apartment and we had our time alone. Wheein lifted me up from the sofa and made her way to our bedroom. I was probably hitting my heaviest weight with these twins. I hated the mirrors in the house.

 

“No, you’re still beautiful.”

 

“Don’t lie.”

 

“I’m serious. Your mochi cheeks are still here.”

 

She shifted herself and settled down between my legs. She hovered above me with her palms resting on my sides. She was looking at me with a soft smile on her face. I was on my back; resting comfortably on the bed as she leaned closer. She gave a soft kiss on my forehead.

 

“I swear, you look beautiful. You’re glowing.”

 

“Will you stay by my side when I have these babies?”

 

“Of course, I’ll stay with you throughout the labor.”

 

“I might kick you.”

 

“You can do anything you want with me.”

 

I grinned from ear to ear. It felt so good to have the person you love staying by your side. Wheein has been nothing but a sweetheart to me. I know she still feels guilty because of this scar on my face. I wanted to go for cosmetic surgery to remove it but unfortunately, I got pregnant after IVF treatment.

 

We wanted to grow a family together. We wanted to have children as soon as possible. So, two months after our marriage, we went for the treatment. At first, Hyejin and Moonbyul were checking it out but they ended up doing the procedure too. Hyejin got lucky.

 

As for me, both Wheein and myself took the tests but it turned out that Wheein’s body couldn’t handle the treatment well. So, I have decided. I’ll get pregnant instead.

 

And after a couple of tries, at the last shot, I got pregnant. I was 2 months pregnant earlier than Hyejin. And I was surprised when the doctor mentioned that I’m carrying twins. And we will be having a boy and a girl.

 

“I cannot wait to see them.”

 

Wheein kissed both sides of my tummy.

 

“Me too.”

 

We ended up sleeping with me hugging Wheein by her waist and snuggled close to her. Wheein was caressing my stomach as we fell asleep together. I could stay like this forever. Wheein kept her promise and since that horrible incident, Wheein gave me nothing but joy and happiness.

 

And I hope we can stay like this as family together forever.

 

-

 

Wheein was preparing for my appointment with the gynecologist. She packed my bag and even some snacks in case our little ones get hungry for the ride. She took leave to accompany me. I’m so lucky to have Jung Wheein!

 

“Okay, I have a flask of hot milk; some snacks in the bag; a towel and of course, my lovely wife for her appointment!”

 

Wheein laughed as she pulled me closer to her chest. She hugged me briefly before she lifted me off my feet. I shrieked for the sudden movement.

 

“Ya!”

 

“Oops, sorry. I should have warned you. Shall I put you down?”

 

“My legs are tired.”

 

“But you have been sitting down most of the time while I got your things prepared.”

 

“Two babies in me; I weigh almost 2 times of my original weight. And my feet are swollen.”

 

“Okay, you win. I’ll carry you all the way to the doctor, okay?”

 

“Yes, please!”

 

Wheein pinched my nose gently as we made our way to her car. We stumbled upon Moonbyul and Hyejin. They were so lovey dopey, and we caught them making out inside of their car. Wheein kicked the car door while I threw my banana on the window screen.

 

They were jolted with surprise; before narrowed their eyes on us. Moonbyul rolled the window down.

 

“What?!”

 

“Early morning public display of affection is not doing good with me.”

 

“Why is Wheein carrying you? You’re almost like a cow.”

 

“YA!”

 

“Okay, enough. Stop making fun of her and stop making out with your pregnant wife in the public! Anh Hyejin! I thought you said you’re shy?!”

 

“I cannot help it. My hormones are too much to handle since I got pregnant!”

 

“Yongsun unnie is twice that. So, stop making excuses!”

 

“Fine, I don’t have self-restraint.”

 

“Don’t blame my wife. Blame it on me!”

 

“Of course, it has to be Moonbyul’s fault. That greasy, .”

 

She rolled her eyes but coolly accepted the reality. They left in their car after that and Wheein drove to the hospital. She was holding my hand tightly throughout the journey. My due date is about a week away. I was getting jittery and Wheein was getting nervous as well.

 

The gynecologist was amazed at my growth. The twins are healthy and growing well in me. We decided to have the last scan to see how much the babies have grown. My heart swelled each time we do the scan. My babies – they would always be so active, and I could see them moving around in me.

 

“Ah, I can sense they are equally excited to meet both of you.”

 

“Yes, they have been actively churning around in me.”

 

“Oh, they’re holding hands! Look!”

 

Wheein leaned closer; and I squinted my eyes to have a clearer picture. Then we saw two tiny hands entangled together. Wheein cried and laughed at the same time. I could see that maternal look in her eyes. She held my hand tightly and then pointed to the screen. She laughed even more.

 

“They’re so cute!!”

 

“I guess they know they have each other now.”

 

The doctor’s words were comforting. I couldn’t feel much happier than this. I’m waiting until the four of us will be together one day.

 

-