Love & Evil

Full Moon Bloom

FORMAT AS FOLLOW: Italics - Past | Straight (but really gay) - Present

 

She once again forgot how low her door frame was, almost knocking herself unconscious. Spending months at a training camp with no manmade ceilings could do that to you.

Brushing off her clumsy entrance, Sooyoung melted seeing her parents doing their usual thing.

Sunmi had Taemin in a chokehold for forgetting something at the market.

Sooyoung hoped that with her new endeavor, they wouldn’t have to worry about forgetting something ever. It was time she provided for her family. A tailor and an insect exterminator - a rumor going around that Taemin ate them - didn’t make much money depending on the season.

“Hey sweetheart,” Taemin retched.

“Hello honey,” Sunmi greeted, not using their daughter’s entrance to stop her husband’s punishment. “How did it go?”

“I think I’m a good candidate. I hope they’ll keep me in this kingdom though,” Sooyoung said, flopping onto one of their stools at the table.

They only had one anyway.

“We’re proud of you princess,” Taemin choked out, turning blue.

Or maybe purple.

The lighting in their small house wasn’t allowing Sooyoung to really color match his face. Very different from the brightness she got to train, live, and eat in.

“Dad, I’m not there to be a princess,” Sooyoung stomped petulantly.

She was still their little girl.

“But princesses can maybe marry knights one day. You’ll be close to them,” Sunmi softened her look at her daughter.

She was incredibly proud of her. Sooyoung grew up in humble conditions and she used that as inspiration for a better life. Sunmi hoped that she was doing it more for herself than for their wellbeing. Taemin - as annoying as he was - and her were doing just fine.

“Like father, like daughter.”

“What was that?”

“I married a prin…cess.”

“Yeah nice try, I’m not letting go for another minute.”

---

Hyejoo groaned, pounding her head on their desk, almost knocking over their tiny oil lamp that illuminated the room. Catching it easily with her fast reflexes, Hyejoo returned to the task at hand.

Remembering how to write.

She approached Haseul during lunch hour to confess her lack of writing skills. Luckily, Heejin also joined her in her lack of note taking as she was snoring away at her desk. The smiling teacher forgave her and explained the notes were only a disciplinary action and no real examinations were administered there.

If there was a test - whenever Haseul and Vivi felt like they needed an hour of complete silence - Hyejoo was granted permission to orally answer questions.

At the end of the year, all students were given certifications that they were taught at the Jung castledom household no matter how much knowledge they retained.

Hyejoo didn’t think school classes would be so...fun.

From the Chaewon and Yeojin’s quips, Heejin’s interjections of certain facts reminding her of these illustrated novels she collected, Hyunjin slapping away Yerim tickling her with her quill, and Haseul being the most sweetest woman ever, Hyejoo’s day ended quickly.

She received pats on the backs - and a jumping hug from Chaewon - for joining.

(Something about her arrival getting rid of homework?)

“Homework already?”

“No, I think I forgot how to write.”

Neither of her parents’ temporary jobs needed much writing as a skill so she never picked up on it. She tried to copy the words in books she read but whenever she couldn’t quite get it, the book went flying across the room.

And the quill would be in pieces.

Sooyoung pouted.

They did try to provide a good future for Hyejoo but with all that’s happened, it flipped and fell on its back like how Jiwoo flipped Sooyoung those many years ago. She was a carpenter now, a demotion from her prestigious honor, but it put food on the table and Jiwoo didn’t worry about her safety as much.

Before she could apologize for her failure as a parent, Hyejoo gave her a smile before Sooyoung started crying. She already cried enough dropping her off to school. Her mother had nothing to be sorry for anyway.

Like everyone complimented, Hyejoo grew up well.

“Teach me?”

“Of course,” Sooyoung crouched next to the table, not bothering to take the space Hyejoo left for her on their wooden bench to write something.

It had been a while for her too. All she did nowadays was check marks and price markups.

“Ji...woo,” Hyejoo read. “Seriously, mom’s name?”

Sooyoung’s grin only grew - ignoring her daughter’s retching noises - as she finished off with a heart around her wife’s name.

---

Sooyoung laid down slowly in her bed, alarming one of her parents in the bed across from her.

They couldn’t sleep since the princess was announced missing. They knew their daughter would beat herself up for it, knowing her job was to watch the princess at all times.

“Sooyoung?”

“I’m fine Mom, just back pain,” Sooyoung groaned as she sunk into her mattress.

“The prin…”

“We found her.”

Well, we didn’t.

Someone else did.

That someone else also humiliated her, thankfully with no one witnessing it.

“That’s good, I’m glad she’s safe.”

“Hey Mom, metaphorically speaking if someone cute, objectively cute, ever flipped you onto your back, does that mean you offended them?”

Sooyoung grimaced as she heard her mother spring up from her bed. Sometimes Sunmi was too smart for her own good.

Sunmi could see that her daughter was in pain. Maybe emotionally as well so she took it easy on her. Sooyoung wore her heart on her sleeve and it was definitely something she got from her snoring father.

“You know when your father and I met, someone was flipped onto their back-”

“Oh no, Mom, please spare those details. I don’t need to know about Dad flipping you onto your back--”

“Actually it was me who did the flipping.”

---

Hyejoo blew out the lamp before climbing the ladder onto her bed.

Sooyoung had learned how to construct a bunk bed frame which made their tiny one-room home feel much more spacious. But Sooyoung was regretting it every time Hyejoo slammed her body down, threatening to crush her mother.

(Thankfully, Jiwoo’s existence prevented her from doing so.)

Also, Hyejoo loved not having to sleep next to her parents and their obnoxious displays of love anymore. She could now sleep fine without hearing her mothers whispering sweet - but still disgusting - things into each other’s ears.

Pulling out a small wooden contraption beneath her pillow, Hyejoo tried again to get the small metal ball into the hole. She won it in an arm wrestling match from the neighbor and she believed they called it a labyrinth puzzle box.

But before she could sink the ball in, her lower half was lifted in the air.

“If you don’t put that game away and go to sleep,” Sooyoung barked, kicking the bed above her. She had an early shift at the woodshop and her wife needed all the sleep she could get.

Jiwoo had come in about an hour ago, having had to close the stalls. With her farming background, she had gotten a job at the market as a merchant. She promised Sooyoung she would take it easy so no more working in the fields for Jiwoo.

(And she brushed off Hyejoo’s apology for not helping her today.

“I’m sorry Mom.”

“Hush, your only job now is to be a student.”)

Jiwoo wouldn’t lie that Sooyoung’s muscles growing back from her new job didn’t attracther. As Sooyoung kicked the bed above her, she flexed her arms to lift herself up and Jiwoo felt herself blush.

She was happy that Jungeun still accepted her after all these years and gave Hyejoo this opportunity. It didn’t give back the years they missed out on but it gave Hyejoo a chance to reclaim some of the childhood she missed.

But that wasn’t all Jungeun offered.

Besides the scholarship, Jungeun had asked her to move in with them. With the economy stabilizing, Jungeun could offer them a steady salary. Jiwoo didn’t miss the guilt tripping that Haseul and Vivi already did so much. It would make Hyejoo’s commute shorter and she wouldn’t have to fear Sooyoung hammering her fingers off.

“Jiwoo, something on your mind?”

“I’m still thinking about Jungeun’s proposal.”

“Jungeun proposed? I thought we were married.”

“Oh you smooth talker.”

“Well you know me.”

“Oh gross Mom.” Hyejoo slammed her bunk with all her strength to get them to stop.

“You know what I meant. GO TO SLEEP HYEJOO! AND IF YOU MAKE THIS BED COLLAPSE, OH SO HELP ME!”

“And what do you think we should do? PUT THAT TOY AWAY! I’M SERIOUS YOU WILL CRUSH YOUR MOTHER AND I!”

“It’s an inviting idea. But what if they find out?”

The rattling stopped above them. It was a risky move coming back to the Jung kingdom. It was risky moving back to society overall. But they owed it to their friends who have been worried sick about them. A few hours with them wouldn’t make them suspicious but living under the same roof was a possible hazard.

They would wonder why Hyejoo was sick a few days a month.

Why she healed quickly.

Why her reflexes were sharp.

Why she could easily chew through an uncooked steak - Hyejoo wasn’t allowed to eat those anymore.

Someone - hopefully not Jinsol - would connect the dots.

“What do you think, Hyejoo?”

Both moms stared up at the bed above them.

Hyejoo didn’t want to hinder her moms’ friendships. They lost a lot because of her. Time they could never get back. She felt like she got enough control of it by now. She hasn’t destroyed any furniture since they moved in and that was admirable.

But she needed a bit more time.

“I think I should learn how to write first.”

---

“Dad, take my horse please!”

“But I can’t ride two at the same time?”

“No, just walk the other one!”

Sooyoung dismounted her steed and ran up to the lone traveler on the road. But she didn’t want to appear eager so slowed down when she was a few paces behind her.

(But Jiwoo could hear the eager patter of her feet and held in a smile.)

“Knight Sooyoung, pleasure to see you again.”

“My fair lady,” Sooyoung bowed.

“I’m not a fair lady,” Jiwoo corrected but Sooyoung didn’t respond. She was barely a “madam.”

They walked to the Kim castle in silence, listening to the birds and wind through the trees and Sooyoung’s father attempt to take two horses back to the stables. It was a comfortable silence, with Jiwoo sneaking a glance when Sooyoung wasn’t looking and Sooyoung doing the same (but Jiwoo knew when she was).

“I’m glad you got cleared to see the princess. She’s been missing you.”

“Oh?” Jiwoo was genuinely surprised. A few weeks ago and Jungeun didn’t have an inkling of her existence.

Neither did Sooyoung.

Before Sooyoung could elaborate, Jiwoo had gone off course.

“Madam, the castle is this way…” but stopped herself short.

Jiwoo was following a school of ducks, moving further and further away from the castle. Mimicking their way of walking, Jiwoo waddled behind them. When they stopped, so did she. She even waved at them when they looked back at her.

Her laughter ringing through the bushes and her grin shining through the trees.

Where did the princess find someone like her?

She was supposed to be at the castle by now but Sooyoung didn’t mind not following schedule for once.

---

Sooyoung roamed the Jung castle alone, noting the renovations throughout the years. It wasn’t as imposing as she remembered but neither were the queens that resided there. More light streamed in than before and the darker paintings and tapestries were replaced with fresher brighter shades.

Business was slow today and she had finished all of the requests thus far. She was granted permission to close up shop early. Jiwoo was at work and Hyejoo at school so she decided to pay someone a visit.

She just wasn’t sure who that someone was yet.

Jungeun had let her in with a bone crushing hug but apologized as she had a few petitions to sign. But she was given permission - “you don’t need permission Sooyoung, this is like your other home” - to walk around freely.

What impressed her most was that the Jungs allowed space for paintings of the staff members.

During her time as knight, only paintings of the royal family and the knights were strung.

But a portrait of Chaewon, Hyunjin, Heejin, Yerim, and Yeojin making faces far removed from the tight-lipped smile they were allowed hung proudly in the foyer for all to see. They weren’t even sitting on the couch correctly, one sitting on its back with their legs choking whoever was sitting in front of her and the ones of the end dangling their legs off its sides. Heejin and Hyunjin failing spectacularly to make a heart with their bodies - one using her hand, the other her arm. Chaewon was making a V with her fingers.

She wondered if Hyejoo would’ve been up there with them.

“Impressive huh?”

Sooyoung jumped at the sudden voice.

Vivi.

They may not have grown up together, meeting when Vivi was just accepted the new previous castle physician position after shadowing her mothers there and when Sooyoung was given the job as the messenger girl, but Sooyoung still considered her a close childhood friend.

“What do you mean?” Sooyoung turned her back to the painting.

“Yeojin. That one right there. Kept sticking her tongue out long enough for the artist to capture it.”

“She was just a baby when we first moved,” Sooyoung reached over to trace the painting.

She was fortunate to witness Hyejoo growing up but she thought that she would have liked being able to see these girls grow up as well. Yerim and Hyunjin definitely shared a gene pool but they were on opposite sides of the happiness spectrum here. Heejin’s features were more prominent, growing out of her baby face and bearing more resemblance to her parents. Yeojin looked like the sweetest little angel, very similar to her sister.

Chaewon.

Chaewon was sporting a silly expression of her own, one eyebrow raised comically high, most likely copying Jinsol.

She didn’t even look like a princess as her garments were simplistic like the rest.

Jungeun and Jinsol were amazing parents as predicted.

“She still is in a way,” Vivi chided. “Shall we continue this in the kitchen?”

---

“I can coat a menthol solution on top...”

“Vivi, my back is just fine.”

Vivi shrugged, stowing away her medicinal kit. Sooyoung took a peek inside - seeing how it was much larger than the first aid kit in the knights’ wing. Bottles filled with colors she’s never seen or knew the name of. Different brushes and mixing devices and strainers. Some wand with a white and pink star prong on top.

Where did Vivi get her medical training again?

“HAS SHE RETURNED?!”

The princess up all the air in the room, having sprinted from the carriage door to the castle. She wasn’t familiar with the layout, colliding into every floor to ceiling window, thinking it was an entrance.

She found herself in the kitchen with a staff member and a knight.

Jinsol opened to introduce herself but her lungs were on fire. She held one finger out to signal for them to wait.

Sooyoung met her briefly a couple days ago so resheathed her knife, not thinking she’d be meeting her again so soon before the wedding.

Vivi didn’t even need to question her.

The blonde hair was an indicator who she was.

The Jung princess.

Watching her open and close like a fish, the two Kim castle residents had their first impression of their princess’ suitor: Jung Jinsol.

And what an impression she made.

---

Sooyoung looked out the window at the sound of wood splitting.

Vivi shook her head, telling Sooyoung to stay put and took their dishes to the sink, starting on them immediately before Haseul did it. Years ago, Sooyoung outranked Vivi but it’s not like they took their roles seriously. They called Jungeun and the rest of the royal family by their first name.

“That would be Hyunjin.”

“She’s not on duty.” Sooyoung remembered that whenever a knight came home after a mission, they had to take a few days to regroup.

Vivi’s suggestion.

“That’s what we keep telling her.”

Hyunjin was the poster child for stubborness.

Sooyoung looked out the window, Hyunjin was chopping up firewood, barely breaking a sweat. She knew her as the Head Knight’s daughter and at five years old, she would numb Sooyoung’s fists when asked to punch them.

She also knew her as the daughter of the knights she left bleeding out underneath the carriage.

How did Hyunjin feel about her?

Did she hate her?

Did she blame her?

Did she imagine she was the stump she was splitting in two?

Did she even know who she was?

“She doesn’t hate you, you know. She knows the sacrifices that come with the job. I just didn’t think she’d learn it so young.”

How did Vivi always manage to do that? Jiwoo had intuition but Vivi possessed whatever was stronger than that. Now matter the years she still wasn’t used to it.

---

Jungeun flopped back onto the bed. That wasn’t wise as she felt her scars opening up again.

Vivi and Sooyoung, on either side of her bed, tried to shift her into a better position, exchanging the blood soiled padding below her back Vivi had placed the night before.

They ran upstairs to tell Jungeun who was here to visit her but when Jungeun excitedly asked if it was Jiwoo, they lied and validated her answer - not without Sooyoung telling the nearest knight to fetch the fruit farmer at once, saying they could walk alongside the walls since Jiwoo wasn’t granted access to the castle yet.

Jungeun wasn’t in the mood for whatever her moms would tell her. Whether it was a lecture or an apology or an interrogation. Vivi graciously said she was ill to prevent them from walking in.

She couldn’t let them see her in this state.

This wasn’t how a princess should behave.

She hadn’t slept a wink last night, having terrifying and realistic recollections of the events before she had out.

Their menacing snarls.

Their musky scent.

Their malicious cackling as humans, realizing it was a princess they had cornered, arguing who’d get her first.

Then their inhuman convulsions as they turned back to wolves.

Her own ungodly scream when one approached her from behind, slicing her clothes off, and taking the first bite of her backside.

Then Jiwoo’s shriek as she roundhoused the wolf attempting to feast on Jungeun.

Then pitch black.

Nothingness.

Pain.

She thought it would end the first replay but it was on an endless loop. She saw and heard them whether her eyes were closed or open. The burning pain in her back hitting every nerve ending doing nothing to stop them.

(Sooyoung couldn’t say her back hurt now.)

The images wouldn’t go away. Couldn’t Vivi make something to make them go away?

Jungeun slumped to the side, unsure if she was leaning on Vivi or Sooyoung.

But it wasn’t Vivi or Sooyoung. It wasn’t even Jiwoo.

There was a werewolf right there in her bedroom. Saliva dripping down its mouth, staining her silk sheets. It grabbed her shoulders, sharp nails piercing her floral sleeping gown, smiling menacingly as it pulled her close, here to finish its job.

“GO AWAY! GO AWAY! GO AWAY!”

(Vivi and Sooyoung did everything they could to prove it was only them in the room.)

On the other side of the door, waiting for her cue that would never come, Jinsol’s heart shattered into smaller pieces with every sob Jungeun emitted.

---

“You still take the bimonthly trips to the market with Haseul?” Sooyoung smirked behind her apple.

She wondered how far those two progressed in their relationship. Last she remembered, Jiwoo, Jinsol, Jungeun, and her were bidding on who’d confess first.

(Three of them bet on Vivi with Jinsol being the only one brave enough to bet Haseul as she was the only original Jung kingdom representative.)

“Minho’s been taking me nowadays.” 

“The Choi kingdom knight?” Sooyoung and her family were weapon-checked at the door by him at the party and he seemed decent. Tall. Handsome. Muscular. Tan.

(All adjectives Jiwoo would use to describe her.)

But she would’ve never thought Vivi would’ve been into me…

“Jinsol advised it would be safer to take a knight when we left the castle.”

That made more sense.

---

“Hello? Anybody home?”

Vivi giggled and took the watermelon from Haseul’s hands, not regretting telling her to knock on certain fruits to tell if they’re ripe.

She didn’t think Haseul would actually ask for a response.

They had evened out the amount of grocery bags between them since they couldn’t figure out who should hold more. But their bags were empty anyway.

The markets were booming during the weekends but that was when the two loved coming. Children whizzing by the stalls, showing off trinkets the elderly merchants whittled up for them. People gossiping about any scandal they could get their ears and eyes on. The hustle and bustle should have contrasted the peaceful silence of the Jung castle. But Yeojin, Chaewon, Jungeun, and Jiwoo lived with them. They were sure the castle was actually louder than here.

But they loved mingling with others and for the both of them, it was the perfect escape route whenever they fell into awkward silences.

Like now.

Vivi’s fingers skimmed over Haseul’s to remove the abused melon and Haseul’s cheeks shone a bright red. Not wanting to embarrass the girl further, Vivi decided to get watermelons another time.

“You know I really lo…I like coming here with you.”

“Me too. Nice to be away from work sometimes.”

“Are they overworking you because Vivi, if they are, I have some choice words--”

Vivi smashed Haseul’s cheeks together, finding it the easiest method to get her to stop talking.

“No threatening the queens, okay? My workload is just fine. Okay?”

Haseul nodded, unsure if anything coherent would come out with Vivi so close to her.

They continued their trip down the booths, not buying anything. There were new music books that have imported from other kingdoms but their home was full of it. There were new toys they could’ve bought for the kids but thought otherwise as the last toy they bought was still hanging limp from the rooftops. There were linens they didn’t need as Jiwoo and Jungeun were on a knitting and sewing spree.

The Jungs had all of their necessities delivered to the castle yet still granted them permission to visit the markets on a weekly basis.

Vivi knew why.

(She wondered if Haseul knew too.)

Above them, a rumble roared.

“Oh no.”

Vivi looked up, a raindrop falling onto her eyebrow.

“Not again..”

Helping a few vendors move their crates and carts out of the downpour, Haseul and Vivi would’ve hid underneath a shop’s awning if...

“The castle!”

Vivi could’ve thought of a million other safer and closer locations but Haseul was adamant. Using their cloth bags as makeshift umbrellas, they sprinted back to the castle.

Like usual, they returned with empty - this time drenched - bags (much to Yeojin’s displeasure) - bringing home something no market could profit off of.

---

“‘A weather curse’, that’s new.”

Sooyoung and Vivi were out on the balcony, enjoying the view while waiting for school to let out.

Vivi was showing her the new Jung kingdom layout. It was more fortified than before. If Jiwoo and Jungeun still talked through walls, it would be nearly impossible to hear what the other was saying.

Sooyoung noted that this was the only balcony left as well. The others being torn down after the attack when people witnessed how well werewolves could scale walls. The less footholds, the better.

Sooyoung had heard of strange things - witnessed a few of them - so a weather curse wasn’t inconceivable.

“Just because she’s got this new part of her doesn’t change the fact that she’s still a si-Haseul. Still Haseul. She uses it as an excuse for many things. She hasn’t traveled out of the kingdom to sing yet.”

Sooyoung’s jaw dropped. That had always been Haseul’s dream.

“And if it’s a curse, it’s something she can’t help,” Vivi said sorrowfully. She could see Vivi had more to say about it - maybe the curse's origin or why Haseul was chosen to receive such a hex or who bestowed it on her as humans often get put under unless they did something - but they didn't want to end their day on a conversation about this.

(Vivi may have been flipping through a family heirloom to figure out a permanent reverse curse.)

Sooyoung couldn’t help but replace Haseul’s name with another. She saw the students pour out of the reading room, chatting among themselves. Sooyoung smiled at Hyejoo being in the center of the group coming out. 

“Alright, who wants to lose first?”

Yeojin really was loud. Sooyoung could hear her from where she was standing.

Yeojin threw an epee - quite dangerously as she hurtled it with the handle following last - towards Hyejoo - but Hyunjin, coming from her workout, caught it in time. Yeojin scurried to find a different competitor as Hyunjin readied herself for a duel. Hyejoo said her goodbyes, giving Chaewon a hug longer than the rest of them, and made her way to the castle gates. Hyejoo, declining Minho’s offer to walk her to the town proper, left faster than Sooyoung could call her attention.

It was still light outside. Jiwoo and her never enforced a strict curfew on her - she could handle herself. Hyejoo could’ve stayed for a match or two.

Maybe she thought she wasn’t good enough. (Nonsense. Sooyoung and her fenced using long sticks all the time.)

Maybe she was afraid of losing. (Jiwoo and Sooyoung always taught Hyejoo how accept a fair defeat.)

Maybe she didn’t think she could control the beast within her and accidentally lay waste to her new friends.

Sooyoung didn’t catch everything that was being said on the lawn. But she didn’t miss seeing her daughter look over her shoulder at the match longingly.

---

Nine knocks.

That was how Jiwoo knew it was safe to open the door, ready to embrace her wife.

She had gone to the Kim castle, begging Jiwoo to stay put - how could she ever think she would leave her - to return her crest. She should have been back before sunrise but Sooyoung needed to take the scenic route. She didn’t know when would be the next time she would see this view again.

They had luckily - with the help of a good friend - found a cottage on the outskirts of the Park kingdom, only a few meters from a stream, luckily far away from major water gathering sites.

It was perfect for them while Hyejoo recovered.

And figured out how to navigate with her new identity.

“I got you darling,” Jiwoo fought her own tears from falling, balancing on her good leg, whispering the same phrase over and over so Sooyoung knew that she would be there. Jiwoo needed Sooyoung to know that she loved her not because she was noble. No crest or badge or medal or accolade would change her love for her.

Knighthood wasn’t a lifelong job.

If one survived their entire career, knights were honorably discharged when they couldn’t meet physical requirements or pass the aptitude tests.

Sooyoung thought that would be her happy ending.

(So did Jiwoo.)

She peered over at her sleeping daughter, the rough scratch marks on her face now a light shade of pink, her bruised eye finally closing all the way, her limbs a bit less swollen. Sooyoung made the right decision.

Her happy ending would be Hyejoo being able to live a full life again.

---

Chaewon cheered silently as she hit the bullseye again.

Again.

And again.

Yerim didn’t shy away from her volume as she praised each and every one of her shots.

Chaewon was in a good mood today. Even more than her birthday. She wasn’t sure why. It was the same as usual. She woke up. Did some dusting. Ate breakfast. Did some laundry. Heard petitions with her mother. Shook hands with visitors. Attended morning classes. Had lunch. Took a stroll with Hyejoo before afternoon classes.

Ah.

Now Chaewon could pinpoint the source of her happiness. Hyejoo was back in her life. Too giddy to sleep, she decided to work on her archery.

Not that she needed practice anyway. Jinsol and Taeyang had trained her as soon as she could hold a bow as a young child. She could shoot a flaming arrow. She could shoot riding sidesaddle. She could hit an apple off someone’s head - an activity she promised both of her mothers to never do again after scaring Haseul senseless when she shot it off Yeojin. 

It wasn’t until she was an adolescent when she knew why.

And why accuracy was key.

If you shot a werewolf in the head or heart, especially with a silver-tipped arrow, they would die instantly.

Chaewon would never be a knight. But Jinsol wanted her prepared in case anything were to ever happen. Especially if it was just her and Jungeun. Jungeun wasn’t terrible behind the bow but Chaewon feared she might not be mentally stable to reach for her quiver in time.

The monsters have already done enough damage to her mother and her family. Jungeun lost her mothers, (temporarily) her best friend, and almost herself. 

Jinsol made her promise to protect her family but Chaewon didn’t need to, she would do it regardless. Chaewon didn’t inherit Jinsol’s fiery hatred towards wolves but she did inherit her overprotectiveness.

Her mother suffered enough.

Her mother was away from home for far too long.

If a werewolf was ever within range, she would shoot it dead on sight.

 

 

NEXT CHAPTER UPDATE: NEXT FULL MOON

 

Q (ourtuneisohigh): Thanks for reading and the support so far. To be honest, we're also learning things about the characters as the story unfolds (don't worry it's plotted to the end). Might even throw some Portuguese in here. Thanks so much all of you, it's really nice to have an outlet for our creativity and gayness. If y'all want to drop a Q or DM, hit me up on here or on  Twitter

N (LazyNinja on ao3): Thanks for reading, hope you are enjoying learning some things about Sooyoung's past in this chapter. Who's background are you the most curious about? And once again thank you so much for the comments they really make our days. :D Twitter