Puzzle

Full Moon Bloom

FORMAT AS FOLLOW: Italics - Past | Straight (but really gay) - Present

 

TW: VIOLENCE

 

To say the blonde Jung queen was livid, was an understatement.

It had nothing to do with her new knight partner, who was riding twenty meters behind in case Jinsol decided to take out her anger on her. 

Sooyoung kept one hand on the hilt of her sword as a precaution. A stray wolf could cross their paths at any moment and Sooyoung feared for its safety more than her best friend’s.

(Thinking back to their recent fencing bout, Jinsol was more than capable of defending herself.)

Not only did they ride off hours before required, atop their missions to annihilate any wolves in sight, they were on the lookout for two missing Jung castlehold members.

Sooyoung thought she could enjoy a few more hours in her wife’s arms before checking in on Hyejoo’s new den: the tunnel leading to the now-empty Jung pool. Neither tasks were accomplished as Sooyoung and Jinsol rode off at the break of dawn. Sooyoung wasn’t even sure what territory they were in anymore as an angry Jinsol led the way. Even forbidden magic wouldn’t be able to get her out of her trance.

“I swear when I find her..,” the queen grumbled, narrowly missing a low hanging branch if it wasn’t for her horse ducking down to sniff at a rock.

Sooyoung’s horse wasn’t as courteous. Her face smacked full of leaves made up for Jinsol’s dodge.

“I’m going to mentally rip her limb from limb,” Jinsol continued. “Then I’m going to hug her so tight and never let her go.”

With how distracted Jinsol was, Sooyoung wondered if she’d have to get her second wolf kill in her lifetime on this trip.

---

“And to what do we owe the pleasure, Princess Jihyo?”

“I think that’s Eunbi.”

“You imbeciles, that’s clearly Soojin.”

Chaewon waited for the council members to stop guessing her identity. Each second that passed meant a second lost on their journey back home. Covered in dirt from head to toe, Chaewon needed the disguise to get the opportunity to step into this room. The iconic Jung blonde hair was still grey and now hidden by the dirt though, maybe not her best idea but it got her here and that was all that mattered.

It was the first time the young princess felt small.

The seniles before her surveyed her family’s every move. They were the reason why her parents were married. The reason why her mother Jungeun couldn’t get the proper diagnoses for years. The reason why her mother Jinsol had become a monster, more than the ones she was forced to hunt.

The men behind the curtain. The puppeteers. The ones that called the shots for the whole land.

Milieu’s Conseil de Quinze. 

(Council of fifteen.)

The group of distinguished elders was made up of prestigious lineages from each kingdom. Each had their own goals of furthering their own kingdom’s wealth yet they worked together to run everything. The Queens and Kings merely figureheads for the citizens to listen to.

The large ornate room was embellished in golds and silks. Enough trinkets filled the great hall that could easily be traded to feed the entire kingdom for a year. If they allowed Yeojin inside, Chaewon would’ve asked her to pickpocket a few items.

(She was hoping Yeojin was already doing that as she waited in the foyer.)

“I-I-It’s Chaewon.”

Several withered heads turned her way, almost impressed that she had a voice.

“P-p-princess Jung Chaewon of the Jung kingdom!,” Chaewon pushed with bravado.

Waiting until recognition set in, hisses among the council chorused as they matched a name to the face. She picked up snippets unwillingly.

‘The daughter of the crazy one.’

‘The daughter of the violent one.’

‘The one with the monogamous parents.’

‘The product of ‘true love.’’

All about her parents. 

Never her.

It was time Chaewon wrote a story for herself.

---

Thankfully the lantern Yerim brought with them for Jiwoo eased her strained eyes as they looked for Hyejoo in the dark pool tunnel. Though it was early morning there was little to no light in the long tunnel.

(Yerim had decent night vision but wanted to ease things for the concerned mother.)

Hyejoo ate a couple hours earlier but it had been years since she had transformed in a close vicinity to her mother. Jiwoo was being extra maternal with her. While they should’ve been concerned about Jungeun relapsing - Haseul was thankfully still in the castle - a mother’s love prevailed.

Jiwoo had dragged Yerim to check on Hyejoo for the third time today. With the shortages of knights on patrol and Hyunjin and Vivi tracking down the missing girls, Jiwoo and Yerim were the strongest - at least physically - remaining people in the castle.

A playful and blurry still-human Hyejoo was running as many loops as she could along the inner tunnel walls.

Hyejoo fell from the ceiling at their surprise visit, missing her den more and more. There she could do as many goofy stunts without an audience. She wanted to get acquainted with her makeshift den before the full moon. It wasn’t a perfectly circular tunnel as there was a raised portion to the side for architects and engineers to walk alongside in case the foundation fell through. There were filtration grates installed every few meters but someone - she guessed Hyunjin or her mother - was gracious enough to unfasten them earlier in the week to allow her to run from end to end.

(Which she’s done eighty-seven times.)

A large slab of seared meat was given to her as an apology for intruding but was accompanied by soft giggling coming from the purple haired guest. 

“Don’t make me throw you, Yerim.”

“Come on Hyejoo, be nice to me.”

Hyejoo sighed and looked towards her mother who couldn’t hide her gaping mouth.

The Ha child had grown much since the last transformation she had in front of her mother so she couldn’t blame her mother for gawking. With how tall she had gotten, her wolf form followed suit. There was an absence of mirrors in the woods so she had yet to see how big she had gotten. She could sense her mother was picturing how big her wolf form would be later tonight.

But Jiwoo had other thoughts. Hyejoo’s canines extending more than usual - signalling her transformation tonight - into the barely cooked meat didn’t scare Jiwoo as much as it did before.

“They haven’t found her yet,” Jiwoo sighed. “Vivi has joined Hyunjin in the search as well.”

Yerim looked between them. Did Hyejoo ask a question? She thought only wolves and their descendants had a special connection. Hyunjin, Hyejoo, and her couldn’t quite communicate telepathically but they could read moods by way of heartbeat and subtle body language.

Yerim spent years cultivating her natural skill to communicate with other species as well.

“Mother’s intuition,” Jiwoo answered for her.

Yerim was taken aback a second time. Could she read her mind as well?

“Trust me Yerim, I know my daughter well enough to know what her current worries are,” Jiwoo fluffed Hyejoo’s array of blankets - that she may or may not have raided from the royal linen closet.

“You said ‘her,’” Yerim was proud of herself for her memory, something she’d been working on in their stable sessions. It was Chaewon and Yeojin missing. Jiwoo should’ve said “them.”

“That I did,” Jiwoo teased.

Hyejoo snarled, not wanting to let go of her pre-transformation meal to talk back. She debated testing the theory that she could hurl someone down this entire tunnel with Yerim as a test subject.

Yerim’s brain has been on overdrive ever since they started training and it would be any second that she’d piece it together.

“I KNEW YOU LIKED CHAEWON!” Yerim hit Jiwoo in her excitement.

Jiwoo laughed at the teasing purple haired girl before pulling her along to give her daughter some time alone. It wouldn’t be long before they checked on her again.

Hyejoo made sure to bite into her steak harder so the blood sprayed onto Yerim’s apron on her way out.

---

“Is it ready for me yet Momma?”

Sooyoung swallowed a lump growing in . Hyejoo was a little too excited about the contraption Vivi and her were building. She wanted to ask Vivi how she was able to leave for many hours a day. Security measures were buckling down kingdom to kingdom. But it seemed royals and their close associates were exempt.

(Vivi, one of the few practitioners unafraid of werewolf victims, was on travelling medical duty. Many health and wolf scares were minor ailments solved by vapor rubs and ginger ales.)

Sooyoung and Vivi were working on their second cage together. Last time, they had more space. Jungeun’s tower bedroom was bigger than the entirety of the new Ha cottage. Not officially their cottage as they were squatters but landowners that had a soul - if any existed - weren’t demanding payment any time soon.

Sooyoung wondered if they should construct the cage around the whole house instead, like how they melded the iron bars to the walls of Jungeun’s room. But Vivi said it was better for Sooyoung and Jiwoo to have a safe space in case Hyejoo couldn’t control herself.

(Jiwoo broke into sobs each time they hinted at that possibility.)

They also had a very limited amount of silver to work with.

Thanks to a former producer seller, all their resources were free. Jiwoo hadn’t committed a crime of this magnitude since Hyejoo’s birth but it’s nice to know her sticky fingers were still talented. 

(Sooyoung had to pretend Jiwoo’s thieving side wasn't as attractive as before.)

Looking over at her wife, who was bouncing Hyejoo on her good leg, Sooyoung offered a soft smile before a pained expression replaced it, Vivi looking at her apologetically for catching her fingers in her iron bending.

“Almost Hyejoo,” Jiwoo forced a smile. Not even Vivi and Sooyoung’s antics couldn’t hide the grim thought of caging their daughter. “Almost.”

The thought of trapping their daughter behind bars, like she was an animal, made Sooyoung and Jiwoo feel like they deserved the punishment instead.

---

“Where has Jiwoo gone off to?”

Haseul shrugged and returned to her breakfast which Jiwoo had already whipped up waiting for them on the table. The handmaiden-promoted-chef said something about running errands and the last they saw her, she was toting a rather large load of laundry to the courtyard.

Jungeun didn’t take the gesture personally as Haseul had every reason to feel melancholic.

Haseul too had joined Jiwoo and Jungeun’s club of the “Waiting CastleWives” as their loved ones were out on duty. Jungeun would’ve made a toast if Haseul’s initiation into the club wasn’t because of dire circumstances.

“Jungeun?”

“Yes?” Jungeun tried not to pout at Haseul’s tone. It sounded empty. Hollow.

Something that should’ve been forbidden in Haseul’s range of vocals.

“Have you ever found something in someone’s possession that you knew shouldn’t be there?” Haseul dropped her spoon, splashing her porridge all over the table. “But you couldn’t quite confront them about it because well...a) you’re not really on speaking terms and b) it meant you went through their things..”

Jungeun would’ve gone into a tirade of the many questionable things she found in her daughter’s - who she was getting livid at every second she was missing - and her wife’s - who she missed every second she was gone - possession.

This was progress for Haseul. Even if it went against the code for a healthy relationship, maybe it’ll get Vivi to talk to her again, whatever it was she found in Vivi’s belongings.

“I have. And I’m sure there’s lots of things I still don’t know about Jinsol,” Jungeun sighed. “But we promised each other we would work it out.”

“I’m not...talking about Jinsol,” Haseul questioned. Wasn’t Jungeun following her?

Again, Jungeun would have laughed at Haseul’s confusion if her daughter and Haseul’s little sister weren’t missing.

And Haseul too, if what she found in Vivi’s bag didn’t have the possibility to ruin the dynamics of the entire castlehold.

---

“Chaewon, it’s your mother,” Jungeun knocked softly on her daughter’s doors.

“And your other mother,” Jinsol muffled into the side of Jungeun’s nape.

Giggling, Jungeun turned around and pushed her annoying wife away. “Stop that, I almost dropped her smoothie.”

Jinsol looked at their orange concoction in Jungeun’s hand with a raised brow. It didn’t look appetizing or even edible. But it was Chaewon’s newest craving. Luckily with Sooyoung’s kitchen organization system, they had a recipe waiting for them when they snuck into the kitchen before the sun rose.

Jinsol’s idea of having an early family breakfast together in bed before her next mission was enough to make Junguen fall in love again.

They could spend this time addressing more serious matters like what Chaewon really meant in the spa room, which was a whole month ago now, but why spoil a good family moment. They were performing great as is. 

They were moving on as promised, stronger than ever.

“You two are the same right now,” Jinsol commented. “Craving weird things. Her and carrot juice and you with your noodles and bacon.”

Taking a look at the trays on the floor, Jinsol’s toast and fruit looked like a bore next to Jungeun’s combo and Chaewon’s liquid diet. Where her daughter got the idea to drink her vegetables, Jinsol didn’t know.

But she wanted to.

Being a better mom required work but she was willing to do it. Her mind wandering was pleasantly interrupted by her wife’s melodic voice.

“Chae?” Jungeun knocked louder.

“Come on Chaewon, I have to ride out later today.”

Eleven knocks later, the Jung queens knew something wasn’t right.

---

Hyunjin wanted to warn Vivi that the next full moon would be rising soon as they had been searching for hours now, her sharp ears picking up cattlers calling in their herds. But Vivi was far off ahead, taking this rescue mission to heart, almost reaching the kingdom’s western water border.

The knight wished a human whistle was invented to stop the physician, remembering the sound that stopped her body last night.

“Stop thinking so much, Hyunjin,” Vivi let the wind carry her voice to the knight. “This is why we haven’t found them yet.”

She wasn’t far from the truth.

Since Heejin’s d…...disappearance, Hyunjin had been stuck in her own head. Focusing on Hyejoo’s training, focusing on Sooyoung’s training, and reluctantly for her, focusing for Yerim’s training. Hyunjin wasn’t sure what was happening to her. Just this morning, she had to be reminded to bathe, which she was always so disciplined about before.

She was forgetting simple tasks to wallow in a feeling that weighed in the deepest parts of her chest.

Like a part of her was missing.

Maybe Vivi knew what was going on with her. Perform something short of a miracle - which to others looked like magic - to get Hyunjin back to her same old self.

“Also, you’re with me, I trust you won’t let anything happen while we’re out here,” Vivi snapped her out of her thoughts.

Hyunjin was grateful.

The next moon had yet to appear, giving Hyunjin the upper hand as she was able to catch up to Vivi under the maroon skies.

Vivi had stopped dead in her tracks. If they didn’t memorize the kingdom maps, they wouldn’t have known they reached the water border. The tides were lower than usual, so much so that they could’ve ridden further out. It made the only human-made contraption there completely visible to the eye.

Both of them didn’t need enhanced senses to tell that the barred end of the pipeline leading to the Jung castle was wide open and footsteps could be heard inside.

---

“Then the three of us can go on missions together. The knight, the queen, and the wolf whistler!”

Vivi couldn’t get Sooyoung’s suggestion from echoing inside her mind, driving her up the walls. She knew the new Head Knight meant well, wanting Haseul to have an adventure of her own. But the gnawing feeling in her chest of how the last resident that left to start a new chapter in life still was pronounced expir...exploring.

Still exploring.

Heejin always wanted to travel.

While Vivi knew her parents were safely tucked away in their cozy home back in Untiers and her brothers were off doing who-knows-what, Vivi felt like she was losing other people she called family.

For a daughter of a renowned alchemist and a doctor witch, she felt helpless.

She followed the norms. Behaved how a healer should. How a good citizen should. But it still cost her her only daughter.

Sooyoung was suggesting her only love leave too.

It was times like these when Vivi felt normal. Like things were out of her control just like how they were for all humans. The day-to-day life at the castle, besides a few missteps, were safe. Some would say boring but in the case for her newfound family, it was better this way.

The next morning, when Jungeun woke her up with news of Yeojin and Chaewon’s disappearance, it was too much loss for the castle physician in a short amount of time. Vivi knew she had hidden under her doctor’s certifications for too long when she possessed the power to do more.

To make it so that the ones she loved were here to stay.

---

Sooyoung and Jinsol weren’t banking on running into any people while they were out. People were usually locked away during the three days of the full moon. The recent Kim kingdom massacre being fresh in everyone’s memories.

Fencing a house wasn’t new but the way these two had their entire cottage encased in silver-dipped bars was overkill. A warrior-built woman with her long blonde hair tied in a ponytail rolled her eyes as her gruffy cottage-mate scurried around the cottage walls, making sure everything was secure.

“Did you check the…” The short-haired one jumped onto the awning.

“Yes.”

“What about the...” Now she was on the windowsill.

“Yes, dear.”

“And the…” Now she was hanging upside down from the roof.

Huffing, the taller of the two barely reached up, took the rabid woman in her arms and calmed her down. If it wasn’t for the affection, it would’ve reminded the two knights of an athletic duo in the castle with feline reflexes.

(Jinsol called it catlike. Sooyoung would say wolflike.)

“You know I’m only doing this for our safety. It’s not because I like you or something.”

“Oh your Majesty! And Knight Sooyoung back in action!” The brunette bowed, “We think we might have something that belongs to you!”

The four of them exchanged pleasantries while Jinsol saw there was still another wall to be barred. Looking at the purplish cotton candy skies, Jinsol shook off her worries of what the night would bring. They were in a fairly clear area with a high elevation than most.

Before she could volunteer their services, Sooyoung was already helping the duo, deep in conversation.

(The tall one glowered, adorably feisty when the knight got a little too close to her cottage-mate.)

“We hear howls mostly from the northeast but you can’t be too sure in either direction.”

“Of course.”

Jinsol peeked at how adept Sooyoung was at bending the bars with a measly rebar.

Trying to remember the list of jobs Sooyoung had, Sooyoung listing ironsmith came up blank. Surely, Sooyoung was one in another kingdom for her to be so fluid with her craftspersonship.

“Wow, you’re good.”

“Old habits die hard,” Sooyoung whistled at her handiwork before clenching her hand in pain.

She saw how Jinsol was observing her every move. Knowing she’d have to be on guard - literally and figuratively -  she was reluctantly grateful that Chaewon and Yeojin’s disappearance kept Jinsol’s mind busy. 

Jinsol wasn’t a stingy queen that whined at manual labor. She would’ve volunteered too but a lot was on her mind. Not wanting to air out the queen’s business, Sooyoung pressed on when the last bar was in place.

“Say, did you happen to see two young ladies riding off? About yea high.”

Jinsol snorted as Sooyoung had her palm at her waist, under measuring the young girls’ heights.

(Sooyoung stifled a sigh of relief.)

The two cottage dwellers shook their heads sadly before the shorter one spoke up, “We almost forgot, just a moment!”

The brunette had left her tall blonde partner to get something from behind their home.

Jinsol nearly paled when a familiar horse was brought forward to meet them.

“This girl here must have escaped from your stables and made its way to our home.”

Sooyoung quickly recognized the Jung sealed leather that made up the horse's saddles. Glancing at her friend who seemed to be frozen she spoke up for her, “Oh thank you so much, we apologize for that.” 

The home owners assured them it was nothing, that they were planning to keep the animal safe in their home until the full moon ended and bring it to the castle in the morning.

“Did you see which direction it rode in from?” Jinsol finally spoke up.

The couple shook their heads apologetically. Sooyoung took the reins from the shorter woman and tied it to her own horse's saddle to follow them. Jinsol got back up onto her horse before waving a thanks to the citizens and wishing them a safe night. 

Sooyoung bowed a goodbye as she began to follow her friend's lead. The blonde queen once again had that all too predictable mask on her face. Sooyoung knew they needed a moment alone to talk about what they just found. 

---

“Chaewon, I hope you’re not up to something.”

Chaewon yelped and swiveled around, hoping her small body could cover up the scroll she’s been deciphering for days. Jinsol’s office curtains were barely open, Chaewon squinting with the light she could work with.

Vivi raised an eyebrow at her. Both of them not commenting how the other looked ghastly thin. Vivi was mourning her child. Chaewon was in shambles of what direction her family was going in.

“No,” Chaewon shot down with a gulp.

Vivi didn’t question it, knowing that it was best for Chaewon to navigate whatever she was doing on her own. If she was coddled any further, she might do something drastic. Like Heejin running off with Seohyun’s cloak into the night.

“Aunt Vivi, I have a question.”

“I’m sure you do,” Vivi couldn’t read what Chaewon was looking at but by the faded text and the browned material of the scroll used, it looked aged. 

“What are the limits to your family’s powers?”

(Vivi would’ve faltered if she knew that the document Chaewon shouldn’t have been reading to answer her own question was now in her own possession.)

“You’re not asking for another sibling, are you?” Vivi chuckled, hiding her fear.

If it was someone who would figure out what she was up to, it would be one of the younger one’s. No offense to her peers but they were far more perceptive. Thinking it was going to be her to question Chaewon’s motives, the tables have Vivi.

“No, I can’t handle that right now,” Chaewon shook her head. “More importantly, I don’t think my parents could handle that.”

“Especially with their schedules right now.”

“Yeah,” Chaewon used her mannerisms class to appear unbothered but Vivi saw right through it.

Chaewon knew that Vivi knew that she was wondering if Vivi could bring Jinsol home for good. She tested the waters at guessing another pregnancy. Vivi knew that Chaewon knew she was skirting around questioning why she was in Jinsol’s office alone. From the stories she told, Chaewon knew exactly what kind of a healer Vivi was.

They were okay with leaving it at that.

---

“This tunnel smells kind of weird.”

“Maybe it’s just you.”

The statement “everything that can go wrong will” could not hold any more truth than for what the two had been through.

Chaewon had banked on the council listening to her proposition posthaste that early morning due to the rising full moon to come that night, allowing Yeojin and her to ride back with plenty of time. By the rooster’s cry of morning, they had reached the council’s estate, only to be turned away before they could set foot on their grounds.

Chaewon didn’t accept the rejection much to Yeojin’s displeasure so the two rolled around in dirt on the side of the road, pretending to be statuettes adorning the council’s front lawn until they broke into the council’s dining room, the council members eating a bountiful lunch.

Yeojin was asked to step outside as Chaewon spent hours explaining her plan.

Thinking they’d be offered some of the Council’s private knights to guide them back home to keep the royal bloodline safe, they were startled when the council disagreed, wanting all of their knights to protect them only. They simply tossed Chaewon a new wolf whistle and sent them quickly on their way. A throng of escorts making their way to the second floor answered any questions they may have had of the rude send off. While the kingdom's citizens feared another massacre, the council spent each full moon in the safest and grandest of estates, satiating their selfish needs.

McQueen rode them to the kingdom’s borders faster with the daylight’s help but the castle would’ve figured out their disappearance by now.

The next step was to sneak in through the tunnel and lie that they were in the spa room the whole day. Yeojin sent McQueen on her way, hoping she’d find her way back to the castle. Waiting hours for low tide, the sun had just begun setting when the duo moved forward.

“I hope it was worth it,” Yeojin coughed on dirt in from Chaewon’s on-the-fly disguise trick as she shook out her still blonde locks.

“I assure you, it was,” Chaewon shot back in the dark before a yawn escaped her.

Squinting, they could have sworn they would’ve run into the problem of having to unlatch the grates but they had yet to walk face first into metal.

(Yeojin was sure the “borrowed” ornaments she stuffed down the front of her coat would make a good airbag since Chaewon made her walk a few steps ahead.)

Whether this trip made the two closer or not, they’d sort it out after a long bath. Chaewon told Yeojin she could use her parents’ massive tub as payment for accompanying her. 

Yeojin was more worried that Yerim would hate her for putting her favorite horse - they all were her favorite really - at risk.

“I’m telling you again, this tunnel smells weird.”

“Again, just you,” Chaewon smiled, the darkness concealing her smug face.

“No, it smells like a wet dog.”

Chaewon knew she couldn’t effectively show her displeasure when she felt warm wetness and a terrifying snarl hit the back of her neck.

---

Knocks were much louder when done with gauntlets.

Jinsol wondered if she could knock on Chaewon’s door again with her gloved hands and maybe Chaewon would be there.

Not the amateur pillow-shaped human decoy that sent both Jungeun and her in a frenzy.

Sooyoung tore the door open, annoyed that her cuddling session with Jiwoo was cut short. She had some choice words at the ready.

Blinking away her sleep, Sooyoung saw that Jinsol wasn’t in her casual wear like Jungeun. A frazzled Jungeun was behind her, hair springing from different angles, clothes in disarray. Instead, Jinsol was suited up hours in advance. The new Head Knight knew time flew by when she was in her wife’s arms but it couldn’t possibly be time to ride out yet. 

“What’s going on?” Jiwoo asked for her wife, holding her steady from behind.

Jungeun thought she should do the same to Jinsol but wondered if she should hold herself together instead.

Unlike Jinsol’s strong composure - but they all knew she was panicking inside - Sooyoung was shaking. The married couple had gotten past their transgressions about Sooyoung’s new job but this fear creeping in didn’t have to do with Sooyoung’s mission for the next few days. Jinsol and Jungeun were not supposed to look this grim.

The Has were supposed to have a family breakfast in the spa room.

Hyunjin was supposed to go over some wolf hunting tips with her one last time.

Yerim was supposed to educate Sooyoung on proper horse grooming.

Yeojin was supposed to announce their departure.

“Chaewon and Yeojin are missing.”

---

Hyejoo loosened her jaw as the most excruciating pain faded from her body.

It was the same violent tremors she endured when her mother blew that damned whistle last night. But this pain was tenfold, shaking her to the core. Like it came from a thousand blows, amplified by the acoustics of the tunnel that was supposed to keep her safe.

Waiting for her sight to return, Hyejoo stalked slowly to the source. Focused on how she would contribute in the search for Chaewon while stuck inside, she didn’t notice she wasn’t human anymore. Every cycle had gotten easier and easier to change forms. Hyejoo knew her moms would be proud of her.

Maybe not so much that she was going towards the danger than away from it, only her animal instincts to protect her.

Her sense of smell was attune to the damp concrete that she was taken aback by the new scents coming at the other end of the tunnel.

Polished gold.

Ground up brick.

Bottled up balmings.

Leather suitcase.

Royal perfumes.

The wolf took off into a sprint as she recognized the last scent right away.

Two unconscious humans lay before her, Vivi checking their conditions thoroughly, while Hyunjin struggled holding down the perpetrator.

But it wasn’t a paid assassin or a rogue rebelling against the monarchy.

It was a wolf.

A wolf just like her.

---

Hopping onto the bars, Hyejoo shook them with vigor as it teetered in many directions, delighted with her new strength. 

Her parents smiled through their apprehension as their shadows grew longer on the walls in their humble abode. The first full moon since the attack would be rising soon. Vivi settled on Hyejoo’s bed - now hers for the next couple days - as she waited with them.

(She pretended not to be affected by the longing look Haseul threw her way this morning when she said she would be doing house visits far away and staying at a local inn for safety.)

“Mom?”

“Yes, sweetheart?” Two voices answered, bottling up Hyejoo’s sweet, scratchy voice in case it would be the last time they heard it.

They had heard stories of newborns that self-harmed themselves in their new state, unable to control their newfound identity. Stories of young ones unable to stomach the pain of transforming that they died from exhaustion.

But that’s all those were. Stories. They haven’t witnessed a wolf fully transform and while they knew they would dread it each time, they hoped this wouldn’t be Hyejoo’s last full moon.

“Will I become a monster?” Hyejoo’s bottom lip quivered. 

Hyejoo grew up with stories as well. Her lack of literacy classes made her hang onto every word told in pubs, shops, farmers’ markets, and knight gatherings her mother snuck her into. Stories about how wolves were the lowest of the social pyramid. How wolves had taken away the queens of her kingdom too soon. How wolves were the reason why so many families were broken.

Most recently, she had lived out one of those stories. In the carriage, she woke up with the image of her mother kicking a wolf’s snout in. A wolf twisting her mother’s leg in an obscene angle. A wolf biting deep into her torso, holding her in place to make sure its saliva sank in.

Soon, she would find out if she would be another character in one of those stories.

And what side of the story she’d be on.

“Mom, I don’t want to be a monster.”

Hyejoo’s legs gave out as she tried not to break down. Vivi had told her it was important to keep her emotions at bay during this time. She didn’t want to hurt her parents. She didn’t want to hurt anyone. If she was able to see Chaewon again, she didn’t want to hurt her either.

Sooyoung ignored Vivi’s advice to keep the cage closed and rammed the key inside the lock, allowing Jiwoo and her to swoop their daughter into their arms until the sun fully set.

---

Hyunjin had the upper hand, feeling the creature pinned by her knees start lolling away, but she wasn’t ready for it to change shape completely.

It looked to her that the snarling beast had attempted to attack Chaewon and Yeojin, as it’s claws swiped at them, just grazing Yeojin. Vivi and Hyunjin sprinted in right on time to save the both of them. Stomaching her own pain, Hyunjin blew Jinsol’s gifted wolf whistle as hard as she could, hoping Hyejoo was far away to not be too affected.

Throwing the shaken wolf off of Yeojin, who was quickly being patched up by Vivi, Hyunjin couldn’t be more grateful for her wolf genes. Only she could see what had attacked the runaways in the pitch black tunnel.

It was a wolf.

But not anymore.

Hyejoo had rarely been successful in her attempts at transforming back into her human form mid-cycle, the concentration and effort alone drained her so fast she would revert back in seconds.

But making it to the middle of the tunnel where the commotion was, she saw that this wolf did it effortlessly.

A fully-clothed human spat at Hyunjin’s face, breath reeking of years of raw food, its skinnier form giving Hyunjin nothing to grip. A familiar colored bandana almost fell off its head as it sprang forward, knocking Hyunjin back against the tunnel walls before leisurely transforming back to its lycan form.

(Which is why Chaewon and Yeojin weren’t awake to witness this moment. Hyunjin’s last-minute plan of not wanting them to find out Hyejoo’s hiding place was throwing them against the walls. Better an unconscious duo than a missing one.

But their lack of spatial awareness and night vision had the two running full force away from their attacker straight into a wall, knocking themselves out luckily saving Hyunjin the time.)

Hyejoo wanted to ask where they found Yeojin and Chaewon. Why they were in the tunnel. Why they were covered in dirt. Why Vivi kept digging out expensive valuables from under Yeojin’s clothes. Where this unwelcome guest came from.

Before the wolf could hurt Hyunjin again, Hyejoo pounced, a need to protect brushing away her million of questions.

She snarled back, hoping her beastly side would give her authority. Feeling her muscles relax, she realized she wasn’t exerting any effort to hold the wolf in place. She tightened her frame in case the wolf pulled the same stunt as it did with Hyunjin.

The wolf stayed still, looking up at Hyejoo in pure fascination. Studying her face, shape, whatever else it could perceive but locked in mainly on her golden eyes.

The rookie knight did the same. 

This wolf looked aged. It was much larger than her. Leaner. Musculur. Eyes sunken and telling stories Hyejoo wasn’t sure she wanted to hear. Hyejoo hid her surprise as it changed back into a human, her nails lodged in the concrete to make sure this wolf - human right now - wouldn’t injure anyone else.

(Vivi was already berating Hyunjin for her hastiness potentially harming Hyejoo.)

Taking a look at the unconscious Yeojin and Chaewon, Tao choked out a sob, his red eyes just as scared as Hyejoo’s was. 

---

Hyejoo didn’t care who was knocking at her door.

Her only duty was to be a full-time castle guard this week. (Well, guard as much as she can in her animal state.)

“Hyejoo, it’s me,” a frantic voice whispered, knowing her daughter could hear through the thick wood.

Hyejoo made out the sound of chainmail clinking and sprung out of bed. Her mother was supposed to leave in the afternoon which meant Hyejoo needed to be in the tunnel by now. Transforming in her bedroom would throw Hyunjin’s plan out of whack and Hyejoo owed her new partner for keeping her and her family here.

Tearing the door open, Hyejoo saw a uniformed Sooyoung looking at her with an unreadable expression.

Were they being exiled? Had they been compromised? Could she at least say goodbye to her newfound friends?

“I’m riding out early so I don’t have time to check on the,” Sooyoung leaned over to whisper the last part. “Tunnel.”

Hyejoo looked behind her to see that the sun wasn’t harshly shining in, it was barely rising. It couldn’t possibly have been noon yet. Yeojin usually had the honor of announcing Jinsol’s - and whoever her companion’s - departure. But she hadn’t heard a peep out of her yet.

“What’s going on, Mom?” Hyejoo tried to hide the worry in her voice. Even if Sooyoung was the more emotional of her two parents, Hyejoo had never seen her eyes so wide with fear. Her mother’s heart was hammering out of her chest.

Hyejoo had transformed kingdoms away from her parents and returned home in one piece. If her mother was that concerned that the tunnel wasn’t ready, then she didn’t raise her right. Her parents had taught her to be tough and vigilant. Hiding in the same house as the very government that wanted her existence to be eradicated was just another obstacle.

Another chapter.

Hyejoo couldn’t believe she was now doing the psychoanalyzing. She could hear her other mother pacing and muttering to herself in the hallway.

Sooyoung didn’t want to break her daughter’s heart but transparency was important in their family. Before she could open , Hyejoo ruffled her hair.

“You prepared me for this, Mom,” Hyejoo heard Jiwoo stop to gush at the display of affection between her two favorite girls. “I got this.”

---

Hyejoo didn’t know where to start.

She was torn between not carrying this out longer than necessary as Yeojin and Chaewon - now resting their heads in a stressed out Vivi’s lap - could wake up at any second. But it’s not like they knew the full-grown wolf in the tunnel - as the other wolf was back to its human form - was one of their beloved classmates. It’s not like Hyejoo could easily change back.

Unlike this creature here.

Who might have the answers she’s been searching for restlessly these past eight years.

“I honestly didn’t think you would survive,” the perpetrator wheezed, adjusting to his human voice. His large hands coming up to wipe at his tears.

Realizing Hyejoo couldn’t speak for herself - she wouldn’t let this thing wait until her normal self returned anyway - Hyunjin stepped in.

“There’s no time for cryptics right now. How do you know who they are?” Hyunjin kept Hyejoo’s concealed in case this advanced wolf was wrong.

(Wolves could tell the es of other wolves from pheromones they exhumed.)

“I really didn’t think you would survive,” he said again, breaking out into a broken laugh he’d been holding in for years.

Impatient and exhausted, Hyunjin drew her sword out and poised it at his jugular, careful for the silver to not touch Hyejoo. Seeing that the stranger wasn’t making a move, Hyejoo fell back against the other side of the tunnel.

Hyunjin softened at Hyejoo’s predicament. As much as she wanted this wolf - who was the most controlled she’d ever seen - to leave, there was a story to be heard. Forcing the tip in further, almost breaking his skin, Hyunjin placed a foot atop his chest.

Nodding over at her partner, Hyejoo situated herself between the assailant and the others whereas Hyunjin blocked the other end. If it escaped Hyunjin, at least it would be running back out into the wild.

Heartbeat racing and temperature scorching, Hyunjin knew this wasn’t a typical wolf.

From what she learned about Hyejoo, neither was she.

Unlike before, she would let this one talk. At least this one had the control to. She drove her sword in harder.

“Start talking.”

---

Patting her stomach, Hyejoo was spoiled with an enriching breakfast thanks to her mothers who prepared several meals late last night for her. She also got to drink what was supposed to be Chaewon’s smoothie.

Haseul had filled her in on the missing duo when she was in the kitchen, not even noticing Hyejoo was supposed to be in bed ‘sick’. Seeing the sweet teacher looking so worried had her feeling bad for her. She wished she could be out looking for them too.

Reconfiguring her schedule since her surprise awakening, Hyejoo thought she’d check out her new den before she was holed in there for days. Her parents would rather she roam free in the spa rather than the tunnel but Hyunjin worried that someone passing by the windows would make her out before she could hide. Or her stench would leak into the hallways and someone would investigate.

“Probably Chaewon would notice first,” Hyejoo sighed, heavy-hearted that she couldn’t join in on the search. 

Hyejoo could douse herself in perfumes but her heightened senses would make her inhale the fumes at a headaching rate.

She sighed as she entered the room she didn’t get to enjoy at her current age. Apparently they had a spa frenzy when Hyunjin and her rode out to the Ims but the spa’s use was put on hiatus after the Kim kingdom’s attack.

Wishing to experience it soon, Hyejoo halted as she heard someone scuffling in her safehaven.

“Mom?”

Hearing eager footsteps toddle over, Jiwoo peaked out of the tunnel with an empty basket.

“Hyejoo, you weren’t supposed to be here yet,” Jiwoo scolded. “I wanted to surprise you.”

Seeing Jiwoo’s hair splayed and her lantern burning low, she didn’t think her mom would be in the mood to get back on the operation to keep her hidden so soon after Sooyoung’s departure. But they were used to picking up right after life threw a fast one. Her parents were so much stronger than people believed. Maybe even stronger than the Jungs.

(Don’t tell Chaewon she thought that.)

Hyejoo hoped her Aunt Jinsol would cool off, the queen’s anger following her out the castle gates. She swore she could have heard Jinsol muttering obscenities at whoever or whatever would claim her unarmed daughter.

(Hyejoo would deny that she felt the same.)

“Surprise me?” Hyejoo peeked in, but Jiwoo must have gone extremely far to do whatever she planned. “Mom, please don’t tell me you decorated.”

“I wanted it to be homey for you!” Jiwoo leapt off the tunnel, knowing Hyejoo would catch her in time.

(She did.)

After seeing Sooyoung and Hyejoo’s exchange in the hallway, Jiwoo was worried about this cycle, more so than Hyejoo’s first one. They didn’t think more would be at risk now but life was full of surprises.

She raised Hyejoo to always be prepared. It was the same advice she whispered to Sooyoung before she rode off. It was the mantra she told herself growing up and earlier while she made Hyejoo’s new den comfortable.

Years ago, they prepared for the worst with Hyejoo’s cage, not knowing what to expect. No one would be able to tell them what kind of wolf Hyejoo would be.

---

Until now.

“You were supposed to be the princess,” the werewolf sneered in Chaewon’s direction.

Hyejoo growled.

The man-wolf spilled out his life story, ranting about his brotherhood’s manifesto.

Purebloods, as they called themselves, had dwindled in numbers throughout the years thanks to the actions of humans. A band of twelve bonded with nothing but shared instincts and a hatred for humankind, becoming a pack they called Exo. Years ago, they almost got their revenge by turning a runaway royal princess from the Kim kingdom. But the knights of her kingdom captured one of their own as restitution for harming her. For payback, they attacked on the next moon cycle, killing the queens swiftly and rescuing their member. But when they wanted another shot at the princess, silver infused iron bars surrounding her room kept them at bay. Almost all their minions - newborns they called them - died that night.

Humiliated, they reconvened back to their mountain territory.

A grand scheme of wreaking havoc on all kingdoms in Milieu hid their real agenda: infiltrate from the inside by turning one of the royals. What better way to ruin the princess - now queen - that disgraced them than to turn her own daughter? Three wolves were tasked with that duty, rejoicing that they saw a royal carriage leave the castle on a full moon about eight years ago. But only one lived to see if the plan fell through:

The wolf sitting comfortably between Hyunjin and Hyejoo.

Hearing no news of a royal mauling, their plan failed and he alone was banished from his pack not just for the plan going wrong but for not protecting his brothers. Leaving him scheming for years for the perfect moment to re-earn his place. But without the protection of his pack, the last eight years had been more than a hurdle for the once pampered wolf. He dared not make his own newborns in fear his pack would see it as a challenge and come after him for such insubordination. The increased knight patrols and hunts over the years had him always on the run, leaving him unable to hunt much. His last truly filling meal had been what felt like ages ago now.

However maybe his luck was to finally change. 

Overhearing his brethren planning an attack on the Kim kingdom, he watched from the distance until a royal cloak flew by.

(Hyejoo eyed Hyunjin warily as he spoke of this anecdote. She didn't notice Vivi clutching her medic bag tighter, gripping onto a particular item.)

Fending off the disoriented newborn wolves easily, the exile knew that if he captured a member of the Kim kingdom family and brought them to the pack, he would be welcomed home with open arms being branded a hero. But she looked nothing like the images in the royal portraits.

“So when you realized it wasn’t Princess Seohyun, what did you do with her?” Hyunjin asked calmly.

A little too calm for everyone’s taste.

The temperature in the tunnel dropped. Even Hyejoo had to shiver.

“It had been days since I had last eaten anything, I was so hungry but she didn’t back down at all. Got a good kick in too,” he pointed to his almost healed crooked nose. “I grabbed at her but then she started crying and I felt terrible.”

To everyone’s surprise - and in Hyunjin’s annoyance - Tao broke out in tears again, removing the bandana adorning his head. The expensive ruby shaded material was in near tatters yet parts of the Kim kingdom seal proved exactly where that article of clothing was salvaged from. If he was telling the truth, it would be from the same cloak Seohyun recalled Heejin ripping off from her before running into the woods.

If he was telling the truth, this could be all that was left of Heejin.

“So where is she?” The wolf descendant commanded, not caring that her loudness could wake up Yeojin and Chaewon. 

Hyunjin wouldn’t ask the question if Heejin was alive or not. If she said the words aloud, it meant acceptance.

Vivi observed how the usually composed knight was clenching her jaw. If she wasn’t careful, her sword would dig too far into Tao’s skin and she would never get her answer.

“I don’t know.”

Hyunjin’s eyes darkened.

Hyejoo mused in a soft grumble of a whimper that he was bluffing.

“I SAID I DON’T KNOW! I just sent her on her way.”

“You said that already,” Hyunjin scrunched up her face as to why he repeated himself.

“I know. She called me a liar.” Tao huffed back at the people behind him but Vivi shook her head, having not said a word.

Hyejoo’s eyes widened at the fact that this wolf understood her in this form. It felt like an invasion of privacy, used to being misunderstood every few days a month.

There was a lot to learn.

But it didn’t look like Hyunjin was thirsting for knowledge. Hyejoo’s identity was compromised and she needed him gone. But not before she got her answers.

“So you don’t know where she is?” Hyunjin’s gaze lowered, her upper lip curling down.

“I can honestly say I have no idea.”

Hyejoo almost felt sorry for him, knowing he was going to regret that answer but Hyunjin moved faster than she’d ever seen. The heartbroken wolf descendant charged forward at the man.

---

Jiwoo hummed to herself as she looked for other items to make Hyejoo’s den more homelike.

So far she had a clock, a candelabra, a pot, and a chipped cup.

They weren’t practical, especially with how big Hyejoo’s hands would get once the sun set, but it was the thought that counts. She had already raided the linen closet and padded a huge chunk of the tunnel for Hyejoo’s makeshift bed.

She knew her young one would be missing her two favorite blankets but she’d have to ride out and retrieve them another day. Hopefully Sooyoung would not lead Jinsol to Hyejoo’s original area because if she found Chaewon’s old blanket, she might think it was recently made and that Chaewon was captured by wolves.

Seeing that she was on the third floor, Jiwoo felt guilty for not checking in on her friend. Jiwoo had heard stories from Vivi and Haseul - who still weren’t talking to each other - of what Jungeun would become when Jinsol would ride off but so far, her best friend had been amicable.

Besides a few nausea spells and mood swings, Jungeun was still her same old self.

“It’s in your head. They’re all safe. They’ll be back before you know it.”

It was similar to the advice Jiwoo whispered to Sooyoung but there shouldn’t be anyone on this floor except the woman who lived here. Peering in, she saw Jungeun grip onto the dresser table and stare at the mirror before her. Stretching her neck to see further in, Jiwoo saw that Jungeun was alone.

“Jinsol will be safe. And for the first I’m saying this, Chaewon will be safe out there as well.”

Jungeun was consoling herself.

“You’ve made it through a full moon cycle before, so many now.”

Jiwoo also heard stories from less reputable sources about Jungeun’s condition. A queen shouldn’t have fears or worries. A queen shouldn’t have to calm herself down with talk sessions and medicines. But what differentiated Jungeun talking to herself over Jiwoo pep talking to her wife and child earlier today.

Whether by sword, by pen, by prescription, by reflection, or by a well-accessorized hiding area, they were all building cages to protect themselves.

Jinsol and Jungeun were making strides in their relationship but she wondered if Jinsol knew about this. How open was their relationship. They looked so happy in love when their wives rode out but it wasn’t unknown that queens put on a good act.

As much as they wanted to believe it, a relationship can’t change overnight.

Not wanting to take Jungeun’s progress away, Jiwoo waited until Jungeun finalized her speech before knocking softly at the door.

---

Groping for something in the dark Vivi made a hasty decision, she could not have Hyunjin murder the one being that could possibly explain Heejin’s whereabouts. Finding the whistle in Chaewon’s pocket she blew hard into the wooden pipe.

Tao clung to his head.

Hyejoo doubled over.

Hyunjin flew backwards.

But that was mostly because Yerim had sprung forward - Jiwoo far behind, hindered by her human speed - seeing the same resentment in Hyunjin’s eyes that she saw in Jinsol’s during that fateful fencing bout.

“Don’t kill them,” Yerim warned, pinning her own sister down.

Yerim and Jiwoo wanted to check in on Hyejoo - again - but she was nowhere in sight. Light wasn’t streaming in from the top hatch either. But Yerim did pick up an interesting conversation happening at the far end of the tunnel. Jiwoo told her she’d catch up as Yerim exercised her wolf descendant speed in full glory.

“Ugh, Yerim, get off of me. He could’ve gotten away.”

That was unlikely as Tao was still reeling from the high pitched ringing that shook him to the core.

(Hyejoo was no better. Tao could hear many explicatives growled by the young wolf.)

But he was still alert to witness a tiny human leap over his head and tackle his captor. They both bounced back as if they didn’t just skid onto hardened concrete.

But Tao knew he wasn’t in a place to ask questions.

Turning towards the guest  - Yerim picked up the word ‘pureblood’ as she hurried down the tunnel - she greeted him with a kind smile. Now Hyejoo was getting her origin story and she hoped things were making sense. While Yerim didn’t support violence, she could understand why the wolves would take such drastic measures.

To be defined only by their monstrous traits never gave them a chance to prove themselves.

Looking at Hyejoo - who was looking green in the face - she could’ve easily become a murderous beast. But she learned to control herself and was now an admirable knight and friend.

Hyunjin rubbed the back of her head in disbelief, feeling an abrasion forming from Yerim sliding her meters across rough concrete to get her to heel. It would be gone in hours anyway.

As much as the seneschal wanted to learn more about their history, the stories her mother watered down for them was nothing compared to what she just heard. But the imminent high tide would sweep them all away.

He was also not giving any specifics about the one character in his story she cared most about.

“Yerim?” Hyunjin croaked.

“Yes?” Yerim smiled.

“Did you know that this wolf is the reason why Yeojin is currently bleeding out?”

Hyejoo hoped Vivi would be courteous enough to keep the whistle away from her lips as Yerim surged forward at the man next.

---

“You don’t think I’m strange, do you?” Jungeun was ashamed at Jiwoo witnessing one of her self-therapy sessions.

It was something she had been exercising to relieve Vivi of some of her duties on taking care of her.

(‘This is literally my job Jungeun,’ Vivi would retort.)

But for Jungeun, hearing consoling words in her own voice was soothing. Oftentimes, it was her own voice that said the most negative things about her. She needed to tip the scales somehow and figured positive reinforcement would cancel them out.

Even if she was faking it.

“Why would I think that?” Jiwoo pouted.

Jungeun must’ve forgotten that Jiwoo grew up the poorest of them all. She had seen the most obscene of behaviors growing up, witnessing traumas that doctors could only attempt to understand from textbooks and scrolls.

(No offense to Vivi.)

But even with a crown on her head - which was metaphorical as Jungeun was in her sleeping gown - Jungeun shouldn’t be ashamed to be lumped into the category of people who were seen as “lowly.” People had their own stories that affected them in different ways, some digesting it better than others. Jiwoo knew that if she was still a produce seller, she’d maybe do unspeakable things to make ends meet. She’d have to figure out ways to deal with the aftermath.

Maybe alcohol.

Maybe relaxants.

Maybe telling herself in the mirror that she would be alright.

“I don’t know.. B-Because a queen shouldn’t behave like this? I don’t know...” Jungeun flopped on the bed, Jiwoo following after.

To Jiwoo, It was like that evening Sooyoung and her first locked up Hyejoo and they had to remind her over and over again, for three days straight, that she wasn’t a monster.

To Jungeun, it was like that evening before they sent the first wave of volunteers to the Kims, pretending not to hear her citizens speak lowly of her.

“You’re a queen yes,” Jiwoo recited, words too familiar and hoping they’d have the same effect on her friend as it did with her daughter. She had walked in on a giddy Hyejoo doing loop-de-loops in a pitch black tunnel. “But you’re still a human being. You are a person, you don’t have to be perfect, no one is.”

(“No species is,” Jiwoo finished in her head.)

Jungeun giggled. It was a strange way to word things and it wasn’t something she’d repeat to herself in the mirror, but she appreciated Jiwoo’s efforts.

“Where’d you learn how to be a good advice giver?”

“I’ve always been a good advice giver. My advice got you your family, didn’t it?”

Jiwoo swallowed her joking words, hoping not to trigger anything. Like how she navigated a new familial relationship with Hyejoo when she changed, she can do the same with Jungeun.

“Sorry--”

“No, it’s okay really. Sometimes I need a reality check before I drift too far.”

“Jungie, being anxious isn’t forbidden.”

“It is for me.”

Tucking a stray hair behind Jungeun’s ear, Jiwoo swallowed a lump in and watched Jungeun’s eyes close. Her best friend was more tired days these days but the stress was too much, even for a supernatural being to handle. She hoped Jungeun would fall into a peaceful dream.

Where nothing was forbidden and her loved ones were home safe.

---

The tunnel line up was Yerim, Hyunjin, Tao, Hyejoo, Vivi/Chaewon/Yeojin, with Jiwoo fast approaching in the distance.

Prying her little sister off of Tao’s neck - impressed with how red Yerim made it in a matter of milliseconds - Hyunjin rushed the interrogation. Tao had choked out that after losing any mindless newborns he found himself in Jung territory. He had hoped to turn in another royal in place of his failure years ago - he didn’t understand why this family had a knack of fleeing during full moons - to try to appease his pack.

But the two runaways being covered in dirt led him to select the wrong royal.

(Again.)

Yerim’s best friend at that. It was the angriest they’ve ever seen the young handmaiden.

(Maybe Yeojin shouldn’t have gone with the famous Jung blonde hair dye after all.)

“You need to calm down,” Hyunjin growled. Any human would have crumbled at the grip she had on Yerim’s shoulders but the young handmaiden was buffing up quite nicely.

“ME? I am the calmest of the calm!” Yerim shouted at the top of lungs, boring holes into Tao with her eyes. “You were going to maul him for what he almost did to Heejin.”

At the mention of the former head chef, their spat dwindled down to just listening to each other’s heartbeats.

Yerim took the lull to take her sister into her arms, murmuring sweet nothings to her. Hyunjin slumped against her younger sister, knowing she could support her full weight. Their embrace was a month overdue.

Behind them, a series of grunts, growls and whimpers were exchanged as Hyejoo soaked in more about her species’ histories. No human written scroll or lecture would replace firsthand experience at being a wolf. Hungry for knowledge - and another steak - Hyejoo fired question after question. This might be the only time she would be able to speak to him.

They definitely wouldn’t be inviting him for dinner any time soon.

“How do I do what you did so I’m not when I change back?” Hyejoo pawed at Tao’s outfit which fit him snugly between the different transformations he’s had between them.

Tao let his guard down and chuckled lightly.

Which to human ears sounded menacing.

“You have to design clothes with your fur in it,” Tao revealed before shifting back quickly to show how the hemming and cuffs of his clothing almost melted into his matching wolf coat. “Spin the tufts of fur into yarn and thread like you would wool and go from there. Though I admit, I’m not sure if it works for hybrids.”

Hyejoo swallowed at what he called her but didn’t want to ask for further elaboration. Her parents had tried to help her differentiate herself from the other werewolves so she wouldn’t feel terrified of herself.

Hybrid. It sounded better. Less scary. Plants could be hybrids. 

The word made her sound like she was normal.

(Tao could sense her worries but kept mum until she was ready.)

While the two duos conversed in their own ways, Vivi waited, wondering why every time she adjusted Yeojin’s position, jingling noises rang out under her clothes.

---

One disadvantage of living in the woods was Hyejoo couldn’t run to the market when her parents were being affectionate. Even now, cubing a vast amount of steaks for her first moon cycle had turned into Sooyoung holding Jiwoo from behind to help her dice while singing “Unchained Melody.”

Loudly.

She breathed in fresh air and groaned as she still heard her parents. Her senses have sharpened since the attack and she’d have to walk kilometers out just to drown out Sooyoung’s singing and Jiwoo’s giggling.

Wondering if this would be her last time out here as a human, Hyejoo took a mental portrait of her new home:

The area Sooyoung cleared to work out. The small tree fort that remained unfinished until they found - until Jiwoo stole - more building materials. The empty clothesline swaying in the winter breeze. The iron-laced trip wires they set up for protection.

The only thing out of place was Vivi on a rocking chair, sifting through her medic bag. The leather case looked heftier than when she first arrived a few weeks ago. Probably filled with tools to help calm Hyejoo in case she got out of control.

Silver darts.

Silver knives.

Even a silver amulet she could wear around her neck.

All things the well-trained castle physician learned from Grey’s Academy.

And her Healer parents.

“Hey Aunt Vivi?”

“Hmmmm?” Vivi was ready for any and every question. Even in the castle, it’s been a barrage of emotionally heavy inquiries from Jungeun’s night terrors returning, the kids - especially Chaewon - wanting to know everything about wolves, Jinsol feeling like she could do more. Hyunjin was going to be knighted soon and she wasn’t even an adult.

“Do you know anything about forbidden magic?”

Vivi stopped rummaging.

“Why do you ask, Hyejoo?”

“It’s just,” Hyejoo puffed her cheeks out. “I don’t know. Like I don’t know what kind of wolf I’ll be. Like if I could hurt my parents. Really really badly. I just...don’t know what to do if that--”

Before Hyejoo knew it, Vivi had her arms wrapped around her, holding her steady. She didn’t even know she was crying. Not even a wolf and she was already losing control of her emotions.

Vivi knew what Hyejoo was hinting at. She felt nauseated at the thought of Hyejoo thinking she could kill. Especially her own parents who had sacrificed everything to restart their lives.

Her powers may have assisted in protecting bringing life to Chaewon but to bring back a life - in Hyejoo’s prediction, two lives - bordered on a much more mysterious force. Forbidden magic, her people labelled it. She had come across instances when delving into that would be ideal but luckily, something pulled her back. The first time she ever considered performing an act of forbidden magic was when Jungeun was suspected to be a wolf.

Just like the cage they had constructed in Hyejoo’s case, Vivi would figure she’d find herself in the same situation.

“I won’t let that happen. I promise,” Vivi whispered.

Hoping her promise would be strong enough to keep Hyejoo, Jiwoo, and Sooyoung alive.

And in her case, resilient enough to never open the ancient book her parents left her.

---

Haseul didn’t have mother’s intuition.

Now she wasn’t sure if she even had sisters’ intuition.

She had made choices and avoided breakthroughs so that Yeojin and her could be safe. She promised her parents. She promised Vivi.

So why didn’t she feel terrible that Yeojin was out gallivanting with Chaewon?

(Minus the fact that a full moon was tonight.)

Before they rode off, watching Sooyoung hit Jinsol upside the head and Jinsol do the same - while Jiwoo and Jungeun playfully nudged shoulders - Haseul was in awe at how they took what could have been a tragedy and found tender moments between them.

(She’d bet a horse that Jinsol was grumbling all her worries that she refused to say in front of Jungeun.)

Everyone in this household took matters into their own hands. Hyunjin became a knight. Jinsol became a knight. Young Hyejoo became a knight. Yeojin almost became a knight. Even Sooyoung became a knight. Again.

Last year, Heejin left the castle to travel abroad.

They found a reason to leave and executed it.

They made a name for themselves.

Haseul even overheard Jungeun talking to herself in the bathroom this morning, calming herself down.

Vivi had just volunteered to accompany Hyunjin to roam their lands to find Chaewon and Yeojin.

Haseul was cursed. There were no exceptions for that. The word itself brought a shiver up people’s spines.

She remembered years ago, Jinsol and Haseul joked about Haseul being the ultimate weapon. Using her weather jinx to benefit the human side of the war.

But that’s all that was.

A plan.

Like Sooyoung suggested how the three of them would ride off together as a triple threat. Like Yeojin suggested they become a musical duo like their parents. Like Vivi suggested they’d watch Heejin grow up to be an exceptional woman.

Hopes that forever remained on the backburner.

She remembered Vivi told her to expect the unexpected and Haseul gripped at her stomach as she remembered the out-of-place, ancient item in Vivi’s bag when she handed it to her this morning.

Haseul hoped things were changing.

She didn’t think Vivi would be one of them. 

---

“Poor Hyejoo. So sick. So fragile,” Yerim clutched at her chest to sell the lie they created to excuse Hyejoo’s absence for the next few days.

(“Quit it. You make it sound like I’m dead,” Hyejoo murmured from the kitchen, knowing two people in the dining room could pick it up.)

Hyunjin smiled behind her glass as she downed her third Americano.

“Sometimes I can still hear her voice,” Yerim in her lips to keep the (fake) tears in.

Jungeun, Haseul, Vivi, and Jiwoo watched the performance in adoration - Jiwoo trying not to burst into laughter - thankful that not all the younger castle residents joined Chaewon and Yeojin in their excursion.

One missing horse from the stable confirmed that their departure was voluntary. The young girls left by choice.

It was like deja vu of Jungeun’s runaway when she was engaged to Jinsol.

But they hoped it would end in the same way.

With the princess back home, safe and sound.

“I should be heading out now,” Hyunjin announced, piling the empty plates on top of hers to take to the kitchen.

Vivi silently stood and did the same at her end of the table. “I’m coming with you.”

Yerim couldn’t direct another theatrical performance to get rid of the awkwardness filling the dining room.

Jiwoo returned to her coffee. She knew Vivi would be fine with Hyunjin as her guide.

Jungeun knew she couldn’t stop another family member from leaving. If her daughter and favorite squire were hurt, it was best they were attended to as soon as possible.

And Haseul?

She exited the room, the scene reminiscent of Vivi leaving at last night’s proposition of Haseul leaving the castle with Jinsol and Sooyoung.

---

Jiwoo was a brisk walker.

As the voices at the other end of the tunnel became distinguishable - Hyunjin and Yerim calming each other down, Hyejoo’s grunts and whimpers, another wolf’s reactionary animal sounds - Jiwoo felt her heartbeat slow down as she stopped to listen in.

It was a strange conversation to have with a nine-year-old. Explaining why you had to kill was one thing. Explaining why you had to kill someone that was the same species as your daughter was another.

Jiwoo remembered holding onto Sooyoung’s hand as they fumbled through their distinctions between the bad wolf the ex-knight killed and the wolf Hyejoo could become. Now hearing one of those wolves from the “bad” category not harming anyone - it was Hyunjin and Yerim that were more unhinged - maybe Jiwoo and Sooyoung should have that conversation again.

Jiwoo smiled solemnly at her daughter as she communicated fluently with someone of her kind. She had come to learn what happy sounds Hyejoo emitted when she was a wolf. All Hyejoo wanted to do was make sure her family would be safe. To protect her parents from what other people made her out to be.

A happy howl rang out.

(Followed by Vivi shushing her.)

And after years of relocating and difficult decisions, Jiwoo was glad Hyejoo found her peace.

---

Over the years, Vivi had updated her doctor’s kit to fit health trends in the medical field. 

Overconsumption

Substance abuse

Scrumpox

Bubonic plague

Mad cow

Broken bones

Even if it was never added to the official lexicon - mental health.

Rushing to her room to fetch her medical kit, she didn’t expect it to come hurtling down the hallway in the arms of someone she hasn’t had a deep conversation with since last year.

Their eyes meeting, neither of them said a word.

Vivi was too entranced to feel the heaviness in her hands, thinking it was representing the heaviness in her heart.

(She still needed to research the proper cure for that.)

Like clockwork, like what they’ve built throughout the years, Haseul wordlessly handed Vivi exactly what she needed. It was natural for them to share responsibilities from chores to teaching units that this was just habitual.

“Thank you.”

“No, thank you.”

Vivi angled her head to the side at Haseul’s response.

“Sorry,” Haseul grimaced.

The word was heavier than just her verbal flub seconds ago. Normally a young castle resident barging in on their moment right now would happen. Except two of them were missing. One was sick. One in the kitchen. And one was...gone.

“No, I should be sorry.”

They didn’t notice Jiwoo flying by with an alarming number of sheets and duvets.

“No, it’s okay.”

They had to stop relying on outside circumstances. Had to stop thinking that what they had before was enough. Coworkers. Co-teachers. Friends.

“Okay.”

Wives.

There was no guarantee that they could turn the next page unless they made the effort. Too comfortable in the routine they set, Vivi and Haseul were at a standstill.

Haseul wondered if that’s why she found an ancient book of forbidden magic in Vivi’s bag. Things were too complacent for her. Would it be her fault if Vivi turned into something she was warned not to?

“Come on, Aunt Vivi!” Hyunjin called out, not wanting to get closer to whatever standoff was happening in the corridor.

“Please stay safe.”

Vivi wasn’t sure she heard it right. Haseul usually worried about the younger ones first. Vivi did too. (Plus all the other residents and the entire population of the Jung kingdom.) That was their jobs as caretakers and as family.

Haseul meant more than Vivi’s trip outside. She wanted the castle physician to stay as she was.

“Oh,” Haseul slapped her forehead as if forgetting something. Vivi held in a smile. “And make sure to bring those rascals back too.”

Vivi felt her heart skip a beat. It had been over a month since she felt it. It was a welcome change.

Maybe change was good.

---

“Now that we got that sorted,” Hyunjin side-eyed a seething Yerim behind her. “What makes Hyejoo different?”

The wolf in question’s ears perked up at the mention of her name. Hyejoo could have “spoken” for herself through her wolf speech with the wizened wolf - which they were doing while the sisters bonded - but she thanked Hyunjin with a nod.

Hyunjin and Yerim could’ve grilled him more about hurting Heejin and Yeojin but knew Hyejoo had been waiting years for an explanation. 

“What do you mean?”

“When I killed,” Hyunjin ignored Yerim’s whimper behind her. “A wolf a month ago, it called out to a leader. Like it was in a trance. Hyejoo doesn’t have one.” Gesturing to the wolf behind her, Hyejoo gave a shy paw wave in acknowledgement. “Why is that?”

Tao looked back at the curious healthily grown wolf. Her instincts were sharp and she looked completely well-rested and well fed. Whoever her caretakers were had given her enough peace of mind to grow up without too many stresses in life.

(What would have been jealousy was replaced with genuine happiness for the girl.)

“When us pureblood leaders..” Tao didn’t miss the irritated eye rolls at his choice of words. “Turn another human into a wolf, we claim a part of their autonomy. Well, more like all of it.. You see, newborns don’t have a free will. They must do what we command them to do. They are bound to us indubitably.”

Feeling like his time was nearly up, Tao rose to his feet. He didn’t miss the way the three watching him were eyeing his every move.

“Only when one of us dies, does that bond finally break.”

No one was there to witness the full scene of Hyejoo’s turning. Even for Sooyoung who got an unfortunate nosebleed seat view, she couldn’t make out which wolf was who. Only that there were three of them.

“We call those who now live life without a leader, a hybrid.”

In Hyunjin’s perspective, there was only one remaining and she tore it limb from limb in the blinding rage at seeing her parents dying.

For Hyejoo, all she remembered were beady eyes, sharp teeth, and gruesome images of her family being disfigured and tossed around.

“Sooyoung killed Hyejoo’s leader.”

They all turned to the source of the voice, someone taking a spot next to Vivi to cradle one of the incapacitated girls.

Placing her lantern down, Jiwoo smiled proudly at her daughter. She caught the tail end of this question-and-answer and knew what they were referring to. Unlike Sooyoung who was fighting the effects of a concussion that evening, Jiwoo would never forget.

Three wolves were present that night. She kicked one in the snout, remembering the wolf weakly crawling to the edge of the road to die in vain. The second was slain by her darling wife. But it was that same wolf that took away her daughter’s humanity.

Or part of it.

It was still Hyejoo in that wolf’s body.

(Just like it was still Jungeun in there. Now snoring away in the castle.) 

“Sweetheart, it was your mother that killed your leader.” Jiwoo looked at the stranger, the one who was the third who had gotten away.

---

“We can have Hyunjin and Hyejoo patrol our kingdom’s perimeter,” Jinsol addressed as she walked down the castle steps. Jungeun should be safe with four others to keep her company. 

They weren’t exactly trained in strength and aim but Jiwoo and Vivi could take on a few wolves from what Jinsol knew about them. Maybe Yerim too. Jinsol wouldn’t comment on it yet but Yerim did look like she was gaining muscle strength this past winter.

Sooyoung and her horse waited for them with Yerim cooing at them. She fed the animals extra carrots as they woken up earlier than needed and needed their strength to keep up with their extra mission.

Supporting her observation, Yerim was lifting that vegetable bucket too easily.

“We could but Hyejoo feels a little ill,” Sooyoung avoided Jinsol’s eyes.

Sooyoung was victim to Jinsol’s forbidden rage a few months ago and while she was out riding with her best friend, she didn’t want to get on her bad side. Things were already not starting well as she lied through her teeth about her daughter’s health.

“Like how I’m sick when you’re gone for too long, my love” Jiwoo sang out from behind them, sensing Sooyoung’s uneasiness.

(But it’s not like she didn’t want to utter that cheesy line this morning when Sooyoung and her were swaddled in each other’s arms. She was compensating for it now.)

Jinsol grimacing rather than raising her expressive eyebrows was the reaction the Has wanted.

(Jungeun gagging behind Jiwoo was a bonus.)

“That was gross. We’re going now Sooyoung.”

Sooyoung laughed off the comment, thanking Jiwoo with a wink. Even with Hyejoo in her “ill” state, maybe a knight present in the castle as well would ease Jinsol’s distress. Behind their exchange was a small understanding to ensure to keep themselves safe.

Even if it meant another kill on Sooyoung’s belt.

Giving her wife one last kiss, Sooyoung bounded down the steps, sure Jinsol was right behind her. Even with the circumstances, a knight’s first mission in years was exciting. It was a shame their favorite unofficial castle announcer wasn’t announcing her re-debut.

But Jinsol was the opposite of the monster Sooyoung was expecting. For a mother who found out her child and another resident was missing, Jinsol was rather calm.

“Hold me in your heart while I’m gone,” Jinsol murmured against Jungeun’s smiling - but quivering - lips, kissing them softly.

It was Sooyoung and Jiwoo’s turn to gag.

Yerim was long gone, shaking her head at the lovesick adults and laughing at Hyejoo’s - who could hear them from the open kitchen window - gagging. Sooyoung summarized both their thoughts nicely before she mounted her horse.

“I’M THE GROSS ONE?!”

Jinsol playfully laughed and swatted Sooyoung lightly with Sooyoung doing the same. Sooyoung wasn’t sure what kind of Jinsol to expect as they embarked but she was ready to protect the kingdom.

And her family.

---

She had self-control as strong as a pureblood.

A hybrid she was called.

It was her mother to thank for that.

“Told you you weren’t a monster,” Yerim beamed warmly from behind Hyunjin.

It didn’t strengthen the ideology that “all wolves are bad” just because Hyejoo was an exception but it helped develop a deeper understanding for each other. Contrarians could claim victory today.

“Thank you,” Hyejoo barked. “For all of this.”

“I wish there was more I could do honestly.. But I hope I helped a little,” Tao said back to her, letting the others fill in what Hyejoo just told him.

Hyejoo grunted in understanding.

(“I’ll tell you later,” Vivi whispered to a confused Jiwoo.)

Tao’s time was up. He wasn’t expecting a welcome with open arms but he’d leave in one piece. From the weariness, this family had been through a lot. Like how this young newborn was one of the good wolves, these people must have been one of the good people.

“I guess I should go. If I am allowed to. It’s not safe for any of us if I am here.”

All the responsive castle residents nodded except one.

Unlike the newborns that Jinsol and Sooyoung were hunting, these purebloods had a choice. Both sides of this war were losing greatly to boost their own moral high ground. While humans were in the wrong for causing this, both sides have suffered immense casualties.

“You don’t have to be a monster either,” Yerim advised. “Or make more of them.”

Tao couldn’t stop himself from dawning an appreciative expression at the sentiment.

Yerim tapped on her sister’s shoulder so they could make way for the reformed wolf. There was no telling where he’d run off to but maybe it would lead them closer to the end of this war. 

---

Letting down her hair, Vivi brushed out the kinks and tangles from a long day of consoling Jungeun that she was alright.

Even with the many activities within the busy Kim kingdom castle walls, her number one priority was the Kim royal family’s health.

Queens Yubin and Hyelim were fine besides their sore feet from pacing the floor. They worried about Jungeun’s future, now that the entire kingdom was doubting her leadership skills. Running away wasn’t considered queenly behavior.

Even with Jungeun safely tucked away in her tower - Sooyoung, Jiwoo, Sunmi, and Luna and her just finished fortifying the princess’ room with iron bars to quell a wolf transformation, Taemin and Onew volunteering to stand guard with the remaining knights - Vivi was still worried.

(“Doctor Vivi, what happens if I do become a beast? Will there be a way to bring me back if I can’t take it?”)

Jungeun feared that she might self-sacrifice amidst her transformation, scaring the castlehold, but it was the second question that stumped Vivi.

If a witch wanted to delve into sorcery, the price to pull it off was greater than most could even imagine. They purposefully never taught it in school, witch descendants knowing only of it from stories. Vivi recalled meeting an infamous ugly warlock with a black cap, who had made himself the ringleader of a traveling troupe, he tried to rope her into performing one of those devilish acts with bribes and promises of grandeur. But thankfully Vivi wasn’t desperate and she loved her job.

She knew she had it in her to aid in the birth of whoever Jungeun’s heir would be. Assisting Royals to remain alive during childbirth was what had her first come to this new land with her mother to begin with. That was within the list of appropriate magic.

Bringing someone back from the dead though?

The very thought was taboo.

Yet it was possible..

Possible but extremely dangerous.

It would require another life of equal value. 

A life for a life.

Hence, why it was forbidden.

And even then the few recorded results were troubling.

Vivi closed her eyes tight, hoping the wolf’s saliva hadn’t turned teenage Jungeun, for fear that she would have to become a monster as well just to bring her back.

---

Yerim carried Yeojin back with ease. If people weren’t lost in their own thoughts, they would’ve been impressed at her stamina and strength.

Jiwoo carried Chaewon, knowing Hyejoo might feel jealous if Hyunjin volunteered. Each time Chaewon nestled herself further into her embrace, Jiwoo smirked at the unsubtle growl Hyejoo emitted as she walked alongside them.

“Wait, wait, wait, you kicked a wolf in the nose? I usually don’t encourage violence but you are so cool!” Yerim filled the silence.

Jiwoo smugly grinned. If they weren’t pressed for time, she’d take up time to gloat in front of the intruder wolf but it had to be officially morning by now. Even if he was on their side, his presence nearby could cost Hyejoo her place in the castle. It was her maternal instinct for Hyejoo to rest and to get the two limp bodies they were carrying get cleaned up.

Trudging alongside Vivi after ensuring that Tao sealed the tunnel correctly from outside, Vivi and Hyunjin were several paces away from the others. 

Vivi was ready to soak in a hot bath when she felt Hyunjin stop beside her.

“This is about Heejin isn’t it?” Vivi whispered, hoping Yerim and Hyejoo didn’t pick her voice up.

(They were too focused on their comatose buddies to calibrate their senses.)

Hyunjin should’ve felt happy for Hyejoo. There was firsthand evidence that she wouldn’t be a monster. It was an actuality that there were others out there that didn’t share her fortunate fate but at least they didn’t have to worry about her acting out within the castle walls.

Perhaps next cycle she could roam around the spa room or the woods beside the castle.

But Hyunjin couldn’t shake off the confession that the intruder could have been the last to see Heejin alive. Heejin’s struggle to live had moved him so much that he let her go, using Seohyun’s cloak to throw off the other purebloods.

“I just don’t want to believe that she’s out there,” Hyunjin exhaled. “Because if I believe it and she’s not…she’s not...out there-”

How Jungeun was able to go through these therapy sessions with Vivi amazed Hyunjin. Pouring out one’s soul was strenuous and she only got one coherent sentence out.

“Well those two,” Vivi pointed at the group ahead of them. “Were out there and they were just fine.”

Hyunjin knew not to retort about how they were only out for a few hours but she appreciated the sentiment.

“You don’t think she’s...gone?” Hyunjin swallowed the last word.

If Hyejoo had to wait eight years to get answers, maybe she could too.

Vivi shook her head. The stories told were with bias and resentment but there was hope laced in. She picked up on it and hoped Hyunjin could do the same. She wouldn’t tell the seneschal that she was looking for more than her missing students. If she found Heejin in any state, Vivi was ready to flip through the family heirloom for the first time.

(Third time’s a charm. Teenage Jungeun and young Hyejoo being her first two trial periods.)

The unknown was something Vivi was used to navigating but this was something outside her realm.

Something she planned on harnessing to restore peace in their family like that wolf did tonight.

Wolves weren’t all evil.

Witches weren’t either.

“Mother’s intuition.”

Maybe Vivi needed to look into a mirror and say that over and over so she could believe it.

---

“You’ll still be our Hyejoo,” Jiwoo smiled through her tears as she pushed back Hyejoo’s hair.

She wondered if Hyejoo’s hair would just be as soft once she became...whatever she would become. Sooyoung pouting over her shoulder as she held her family meant she thought the same.

“But what if I become a monster? Like the one mom killed?”

“You won’t.”

They were repeating it as if it was true but Hyejoo might not be the same once this was over.

Vivi had silver laced instruments at the ready if worse came to it and Sooyoung knew that it would have to be her to lodge it into Hyejoo’s tiny body. Jiwoo was barely holding it together and the moon hasn’t risen yet.

(Vivi knew it would actually be her that would have to bear the brunt of it as Sooyoung was just as sentimental as her wife.)

“And if you did become a monster? We’ll try to find our loving Hyejoo in there and bring her back out again.”

Jiwoo sobbed against both of them.

All three of them looked up as a shadow loomed over them. The sun couldn’t have left yet. Sooyoung used to say time flew by in the arms of someone she loved but she wished that wasn’t true.

Vivi smiled down at them from outside the cage, it not being large enough to fit another body, and pointed at the window. Speckles of orange dotted the sky and were disappearing fast.

It was time.

Giving Hyejoo one last squeeze, Sooyoung and Jiwoo left the cage.

“Hey moms?” Hyejoo called out, hoping her toothy grin would hide her dread.

“Yes sweetheart?”

“What is it, kiddo?”

Reaching for each other’s hands, Sooyoung and Jiwoo pretended it was their precious daughter’s hand they were holding. They could see the hair on Hyejoo’s body begin standing on its ends, her body slowly expanding.

“If I don’t end up being the same Hyejoo, maybe I’ll just make another name for myself.”

Nodding in agreement, they waited to see what Hyejoo would become.

---

Hyejoo turned in circles before settling into her sea of mismatched blankets and duvets. She picked up Yerim giggling at her but was too exhausted to snap back.

Not like she could right now. Yerim and her weren’t able to have the same communication like she did with the lone wolf visitor tonight. Not yet at least, Yerim was determined to learn wolf to be able to help her friend. 

Hyejoo let out a huge yawn, not bothering with goodbyes as she knew her mother would be in the tunnel first thing in the morning.

Was it already morning? Was it already noon? 

Hearing Hyunjin and Vivi pass by, she grunted at Vivi’s goodbye. Hearing a small rush of wind, she opened one eye and was startled at the fist Hyunjin had out waiting for her.

“I hope you got the answers you need,” Hyunjin coughed out sincerely.

Lifting her heavy paw up to the fist as high as she could, Hyejoo paw bumped Hyunjin and closed her eyes again.

Hearing another rush of wind and rabid stomps, the hybrid - the word felt forbidden to her but it was more freeing than the other words others used to describe her kind - opened her eyes again to a smiling Yerim.

Hyunjin stood behind her, holding a knocked out Yeojin at arms’ length, since Yerim practically tossed her to her in order to tell Hyejoo:

“GOOD NIGHT!” Yerim yelled.

Vivi leaned on Jiwoo, holding in a groan from being on the tunnel ground for hours. It had to be morning. Only Yerim was the only one bouncing with energy.

Hyejoo accepted the hug - the incredibly tight hug as Yerim was muscling up - and hoped it would be her last wake-up call.

“I’m so proud of you sweetheart,” Jiwoo uttered out quickly, knowing full well that Hyejoo wanted them out of her den.

(Hyunjin grumbled as Jiwoo passed Chaewon to her after Yeojin took a limp Yeojin back.)

It has been a long day for all of them. Chaewon and Yeojin were starting to stir and they needed to get them on a bed and away from the wolf.

Hyejoo accepted her mother’s embrace, which felt even tighter than Yerim’s, and laid back down. She went right to la la land with a head pat from her mother. Not because of the exhaustion from the overload of information she was given tonight or the mix of emotions she went through with Chaewon’s disappearance.

But it was the calming effect of her mother being proud of her - her hybrid controlled self that she’s always doubted was there - that lulled her to sleep.

---

“Pssst! Aunt Vivi.”

Vivi peered through the barred windows to see that Hyejoo was awake.

She certainly wasn’t like any wolf she’d ever heard of. Of the wolves that survived their transformations, Hyejoo regained energy fast.

(Sooyoung realized she needed to work on her hunting skills at the rate Hyejoo was eating.)

 “What is it, little one?” Vivi amused.

She didn’t need to say it - Jiwoo and Sooyoung blubbering at Hyejoo’s quick-and-easy change back to a human was enough - but she was proud of Hyejoo. There was something special about the young girl, which was given due to her unnatural conception, but Hyejoo continued to surprise them.

And she wasn’t even a teenager yet.

“I just want to say thank you. For everything.. You know, all of this,” Hyejoo circled her arms to their fortified cottage. “And for my mom’s leg too. She’s healing too.”

Vivi almost didn’t want to leave with how sweet Hyejoo was. She was growing up so well.

“Because if I tore into it with my wolf teeth, she would’ve never healed in time.”

But she still had her innocence.

Vivi hoped soon Hyejoo would accept this side of her. Whether it be from a new book or a witness or a wolf that rebuked all the terrible accounts - Vivi had money that Hyejoo would be the first - Hyejoo would learn she wasn’t culpable of whatever gruesome perceptions she had.

“Good thing you didn’t need to use that other magic to bring me back.”

Vivi nodded again.

She was saved from delving into that side of her powers a second time in her lifetime.

---

“I’m sorry. I just didn’t want to worry Jungeun if I started ranting at home.”

Sooyoung nodded along as she chewed at her steak and onions skewer - ingredients they bought from a wayward peddler while returning home. According to Jinsol, she preferred Sooyoung’s cooking so far, even from one night of tasting.

(Hyunjin either forgot or chose not to season their food when she was on cooking duty.)

They took a moment to rest after riding for so long, setting up a small campfire.

The sun was beginning to set and luckily they didn’t come across any wolves.

They weren’t sure if they were relieved or more anxious at that.

But coming across the horse the missing girls had taken without them on it had clearly shaken the blonde.

“Permission to speak freely…” Sooyoung said on instinct but retracted as Jinsol glared her way. When it was just them, there was no hierarchy or rankings. “Sorry. It’s a habit. I thought Jungeun and you were going to be more honest with each other.”

If it wasn’t her friend asking this, Jinsol would’ve scoffed.

“WE ARE HONEST!”

“Being silent and brushing it under the rug doesn’t count.”

Sooyoung remembered how miserable the weeks were when Jiwoo and her pretended that her new Head Knight position wasn’t eating them alive.

While the loving behavior between the queens was a sight to behold, under the surface was still things that needed to be discussed. Sooyoung wouldn’t admit it yet until she was sure but she was positive Chaewon running away was the consequence of too many secrets and royal pressure building up within their family.

Not shy of Jinsol’s affection, Sooyoung let the queen rest her head on her shoulder.

At least Jinsol’s physical displays of affection haven’t changed.

“We talk about things like her…” Jinsol swallowed. “Attacks and my behavior. But it’s scary to hear about someone you love falling apart and you can’t see it with your eyes but you know it’s happening. We’ve tried everything, you know: medicine, meditation, therapy.”

Sooyoung was in awe. There was no shame in any of the things Jinsol mentioned. But for upper classes, these were marks of undesirable traits.

“You know that same thing happened with us and Hyejoo a while ago,” the Head Knight crafted, pausing before speaking again. She took another bite of food to buy her time. “She’s always been different. It was hard to face the truth but you came to accept it.”

“Is that why Hyejoo didn’t really go to school?” Jinsol furrowed her eyebrows.

“Yeah, those schools weren’t for her but Vivi’s and Haseul’s Academy is. Whenever that will start up again.”

Neither of them knew why but they felt like pouring out their canteens for their “broken up” friends.

“How do you do that with your family?”

“Hmmmm?”

“Talk about difficult things.”

Sooyoung puffed out her cheeks as she thought about how to word her response. She didn’t want to contradict her advice about being honest by lying more. Hyunjin must have the collectedness of a rock.

Thankfully, Jinsol was still in a talkative mood.

“It’s just sometimes, I want to grab my whole family in my arms and have a good cry. Just a reminder that we’re normal,” Feeling herself doze off, Jinsol was thankful Sooyoung was there for support, emotional and physical. “That we’re not what all the stories say. That we don’t have to rely on ancient text to dictate our fate. Do you ever get that feeling?”

Sooyoung saved her response for another day as Jinsol fell asleep against her shoulder.

---

Chaewon had never felt more than she did now.

She knew her suggestion wouldn’t be taken seriously but she was hoping for a change of heart. The laws had been this way for centuries, only amending it to fit same gender pairings a couple generations ago.

Finally, someone cleared their throat.

“You do realize what you’re insinuating Jung?”

Chaewon didn’t bother to learn their names and memorize their faces. It was best so they wouldn’t show up in her nightmares. Clutching the scroll that helped her make this decision - the one she found miraculously in her parents’ office - Chaewon nodded.

“There is no other alternative. This is how you become a queen.”

Another nod.

Chaewon had figured out who those signatures belonged to after matching one of them to Jinsol’s only uncreased book in her collection. It didn’t explain why Jinsol didn’t talk to that author or her wife anymore but it did explain their absence in future royal endeavors.

Jinsol and Jungeun would attempt the same rebellion, Chaewon was sure of it. She knew they were planning on eradicating arranged marriages.

But that could have been what cost her grandmothers their throne.

Chaewon couldn’t lose her own parents yet. Not after everything they’ve been through.

“I saw what you did after the Great Attack. Your knight auction idea. It was a welcome distraction and it boosted the economy,” Chaewon praised with a strained smile.

(‘And gave Hyunjin the worst week-long girlfriend ever,’ the rogue princess added in her head.)

She knew her life would never be normal. She wouldn’t fall in love like her parents. Or Hyejoo’s parents. Or her favorite cook and seneschal.

“I know this won’t make things normal again. My idea is another distraction. But that’s what we need. More hope for the people, sorry, I meant the commoners.”

Nights of wondering where her mother was, nights consoling her mother’s panic episodes, nights of praying to whatever greater power that this would come to an end, Chaewon figured out what she had to do to make this cycle stop. She couldn’t do anything with her current status as princess.

Not while her parents have the throne.

“I just want my parents to be safe at home with each other.”

Chaewon held her breath as they talked over each other to come to a consensus. After they reached a decision, they excused her.

Chaewon caught the whistle they threw her way, twirling the lanyard around her ring finger.

‘A souvenir,’ as they put it.

She remembered to bow and exit the way she came in. In the foyer, she smiled as Yeojin tried stuffing an expensive vase down the front of her shirt. At least both of them would be getting something out of this. Hopefully a welcome change. Hopefully a change of equal value to the tumultuous changes they were feeling now.

Yeojin and future riches.

Chaewon and a future wedding.

A crown for a crown.

---

The salty breeze of the ocean hadn’t smelled so freeing until now. 

For the safety of those kids he had run for many hours along the shoreline to the southern seaside, far enough from the tunnel.

The brief encounter with those humans had taught him a lot. Ever since meeting Heejin and getting to know her, he realized that not all humans were terrible.

Just like not all wolves.

They were fighting where their ancestors’ left off and suffering greatly on both sides. Witnessing the sympathy the Jung castle residents felt as he confessed about Hyejoo’s origins and what he could of Heejin’s whereabouts, Tao knew that these people shouldn’t suffer anymore.

And surprisingly, they thought the same for him.

They were all cogs in this war machine, fighting fire with fire.

He feared that it wouldn’t end until the other side’s population was completely depleted. Like Hyejoo he believed her name was, he wanted to be free.

Taking another whiff, he froze as he smelled something else.

But this scent constricted his throat. He was no one’s newborn but with his ranking in the pack, he might as well call this man his leader.

“So a little birdie told me you let a human get away. Another royal at that.” 

The cotton-like voice filled out the morning sky, taking away its peace. For decades, this melodic voice that had everyone under its trance barked orders at him. To turn, to pillage, to take, to kill.

Murmurs from eight others - eight he used to call his brothers - erupted as they decided Tao’s fate. There was no point in correcting him that the human he let go of wasn’t of royal blood but had stolen a royal cloak to divert him from the real goal.

In his last thoughts, he hoped the girl that outsmarted him managed to find peace too.

“Please! You don’t have to do this Suho. We don’t have to be monsters!”

Their pack leader laughed at his pathetic plea, the others joining along. It seemed like the sky darkened, even with the new sun rising.

“We are just what they made us to be.”

The pack leader turned back to his wolf form, his brothers following suit. Tao didn’t have time to change back when he was surrounded on all sides. Ignoring Tao’s pleas, Suho’s laughter grew more maniacal as they ripped him apart, limb from limb.

 

 

NEXT CHAPTER UPDATE: ???

Q (ourtuneisohigh): A lot has happened since we last updated and while I am sorry for the late update, there is a lot of work to do and I hope that in what space you're occupying, you're addressing the current pandemic and the Black Lives Matter movement. Starting by having those uncomfortable conversations, I hope all our non-Black readers are doing what they can. I've listed a few threads and carrds with resources you can donate/sign/read, including Orbits for Black Lives which is to help Loona gain and raise awareness of the BLM movement. Most are US-centric but you can look up zip codes for petitions and some funds have international payment methods.

In terms of FMB, I hope for a next full moon update (the plot points are listed out for that chapter) but no guarantees. Twitter

N (LazyNinja on ao3):  Hey all, it's been quite a while since the last update. We really hope you are holding up okay and taking care of yourselves during everything going on. Q & I have had a lot of things to deal with but are glad to give you all an update. We have provided some links to BLM related support, every voice matters and we hope you are using yours to support those who are often silenced. Do what you can to help but also take care of your own mental health as well. Please treat others as you would like to be treated and remember to drink some water. Happy pride as well. You are not alone.
We have also decided on an official hashtag so readers can talk about the story with each other, please use: #FMBkingdom
 Twitter | CC
Petitions | Petitions II | Black Trans Resources | Trans Rights' Funds | Community Bail Funds | BLM Carrd | Orbits for Black Lives