5: Tell Me!

Speaking of the Devil

 

3rd Person’s POV

 

The light enters Donghae’s eyes the moment he opens them.

 

He almost cannot feel his body—everywhere is aching and there’s an annoying beeping sound that he can hear not far from him. “Urghh~” he groans while trying to move his hands but it’s almost close to impossible. The white ceiling of the room isn’t familiar to him—not his dorm room and definitely not Hyukjae’s dorm room.

 

“Urghh~” he groans again but this time he heard a familiar voice, “Hae~” and he knows he is safe.

 

Donghae did his best to move his head to another side and find his childhood friend with the most worried eyes he has ever seen in his entire life, “Hy—ukkie~” Donghae called out his name but he is still isn’t sure why it’s so hard to move.

 

The engineering boy smiles at him—sad smile that doesn’t reach his eyes, “How do you feel?” he asked softly while patting his hand on Donghae’s head. The other boy cannot even shake his head, “Can’t move—much—Hyukkie—where are we?” the last thing that Donghae can remember is the soft pat of Hyukjae’s hand on his hair too—same as what he is doing right now.

 

Hyukjae sighs deeply, “In the hospital—” Donghae’s eyes make it obvious that he is very shocked, “It’s okay Hae—you are okay now. No one—will harm you. I will not let it—happen again,” Donghae somehow feels like Hyukjae isn’t telling it to him but he is telling it to himself.

 

The guilt inside Hyukjae’s chest is too much. How can he let this thing happen to Donghae?

 

He gulps, “I called your mother—I told them that—I think it’s better for you to go home to—Mokpo,” Donghae still cannot talk. His expression is clearly showing how shocked he is right now, “Don’t worry Hae—I’ll file your university leave—you can take a rest for a while~”

 

“What about you, Hyukkie?” Donghae suddenly asked and Hyukjae can’t help but to smile sadly and grab Donghae’s hand but didn’t move it, he just want to feel the other boy’s warmth, “I will—still study. Maybe finish earlier than you are—but hey, it’s okay! You can be with Donghwa Hyung and your mother—you keep on telling me how much you misses them—right? Also, my parents are there—they can take care of you,” for Donghae right now, Hyukjae sounds like an advertisement company selling stuff to him when in reality he doesn’t want to buy anything.

 

He cannot understand why hyukjae is pursuing him to go home for a while, “No,” Donghae said then he did his best to move his head—to shake it a bit, “I am not going—anywhere Hyukkie. Not without you.” One thing Hyukjae forgot, Donghae is stubborn. He will not do what he you tell him to do, “I will only stay here—and we will go back to Mokpo—together on vacation,” Donghae continues making Hyukjae closes his eyes.

 

His other hand reaches the temple of his head, massaging it, “Hae—listen to me. You aren’t okay—you got kidnapped by a psycho and almost—” “But he didn’t Hyukkie—he didn’t do anything to me Hyukkie. I am okay—look—I am arguing to you right now,” Donghae cut him off but when Hyukjae opens his eyes, Donghae can see the horror in it—it isn’t Donghae that got traumatized—it’s Hyukjae.

 

“Hey—Hyukkie—do you know what was running on my mind when I thought Kibum will do something—to me?” Donghae saw how Hyukjae cringe hearing Kibum’s name. The engineering boy chooses to shake his head, “I was thinking—why didn’t I know that he has been eyeing me like that all these time? And then—your face—I saw your face and I realized that—ahhh because Lee Hyukjae is always there for me,” Donghae did his best to at least move a bit and Hyukjae is panicking on every single movements.

 

“Hae don’t—” “Hyukkie—you did well. You saved me and no matter how you want to save me from this—there’s a lesson I’ve learned from this experience—” Donghae look straight at Hyukjae’s eyes, “I belong—right next to you. So please—please Hyukkie—don’t throw me away~” Donghae smiles playfully at his last statement and Hyukaje can only grin, “Aigoo this cute boy—I am not throwing you away—not in a million light year,” and not only Dongahe realized that he cannot go anywhere without Hyukaje—Hyukjae also realized the same.


 


 

After two weeks, Donghae got discharged from the hospital.

 

Every day, one or two engineering students were taking turns on guarding him. Hyukjae is always there for him—everyday.

 

His mother and brother also arrived and will go back to Mokpo by the end of the month.

 

Donghwa cannot believe with the army Hyukaje built just for Donghae but he isn’t telling anything to his brother. Donghwa has been aware that something is off with his brother and with his childhood friend but he doesn’t want to pry on their businesses.

 

Today, Donghwa will visit Donghae’s university but he doesn’t understand why Donghae messaged him to go straight in the engineering faculty instead of music faculty.

 

Without asking anything, Donghwa arrived in the cafeteria wearing casual clothes and looking at the messy place. Everyone is running and throwing foods and talking loudly—but finding his brother isn’t close to impossible because in the middle of the crazy cafeteria, there sit in the middle is Donghae leaning on Hyukjae’s chest while their other friends are laughing and talking loudly too.

 

Donghwa walks toward them and the first one that noticed him is Sungmin, “Oh—Hyung!” Sungmin said making them all to look at to where he is looking at. Donghae smiles so big and stand up, “Hyung—come here,” he gestures his hands to make his brother walks quickly. Donghwa can only smile back and give a hug to his brother making engineering students stopped what they are doing, “So this is your faculty Hyukjae,” Donghwa said the moment he let go of his brother. Still—since second year and first year weren’t able to meet Donghwa yet—they thought that their King will get mad for touching Donghae—to their surprise, Hyukjae stands up and smile.

 

“Neh Hyung—they are quite handful though—but not bad,” Hyukjae commented making Donghwa chuckled.

 

Donghwa isn’t stupid, he can feel the tension in the air the moment he touches his brother. Now, he wanted to see how powerful Hyukjae is—to know if he can prevent things from happening to Donghae again. They sit down again but this time, Hyukjae scoot over so Donghae is in the middle of him and Donghwa.

 

They can all hear the hitch breathing of everyone in the cafeteria when Donghwa put his arm on Donghae’s shoulder making his brother to lean on him just like what he was doing with Hyukjae a moment ago, “Humm—what did you order Donghae?” he asked using his sweet tone.

 

Hyukjae on the other hand is used to it. He grew up knowing that Donghwa will pamper Donghae forever. Hyukaje isn’t unreasonable after all, “Hum—Hyukkie always order for me Hyung. How about—we let him decided? I go to his choice,” Donghwa is amazed how Donghae unconsciously let Hyukjae does everything for him. Even deciding what food to eat.

 

Hyukjae on the other hand smiles at Donghae before raising his index finger. Donghwa watches closely and then soon 2 engineering students are standing behind Hyukjae. “Buy the usual but make it 3 portion,” Donghwa can also feel the change in Hyukjae’s voice. He’s so soft to Donghae and even to him but with these engineering students, his voice is full of authority, “Same drinks Hyukjae?” one of them asked and the respect is there.

 

Hyukjae didn’t say anything, instead he gestures them to go and they did follow him. Donghwa can’t help but whisper to Donghae, “Just how did Hyukjae control them?” which makes his brother to giggle. People are panicking inside already—they are all ready to run away incase Hyukjae will throw his rage. Donghae isn’t helping at all, he leans closer to Donghwa and whispers back, “I’m not sure too Hyung—I heard they are all scared of Hyukkie—but he is harmless—just look at him smiling like how he normally smiles~” Donghwa can only shake his head. Donghae is already blind.

 

Hyukjae is indeed scary—but he is very considerate to Donghae.

 

Donghwa can still remember his talk to Sungmin.

 

When Donghwa and his mother arrived in Seoul, they were terrified seeing Donghae’s states. Both of his hands and feet have bandages and can still see some blood marks on it. Donghae can’t move so well too and when they saw Hyukjae, Donghwa can’t help but feel worse for him. He was in bad condition, his eyes are watery, and those deep bags under his eyes were begging him to sleep.

 

Donghae and Donghwa’s mother can’t help but hug the boy tightly while keep on telling him that no one wants this to happen and he did well protecting Donghae.

 

Donghwa cannot stay still knowing that someone harms his brother but he knows that Hyukjae will not say anything so instead of asking Hyukjae—he went to Sungmin.

 

At first, Sungmin wasn’t talking. He is indeed loyal to Hyukjae but Donghwa begged him—as Donghae’s older brother. Everything came out, “In the middle of the date Hyung, Kyu and I received a picture message from Donghae’s friends asking for help. Kyuhyun was the braved one who told Hyukjae about it and Hyukjae was beyond mad. He asked us to call the entire third year engineering—he is still our king and we follows his command so we went to the hotel. You cannot imagine how scared we all were when Hyukjae found Donghae inside that room—tied—both hands and feet. Hyukjae carried him out of the room without throwing any punches to anyone—that’s how great he is hyung. He walks in and out of the fight area without laying his finger to anyone. The scariest part hyung was when Hyukjae met Kibum. Donghae was in the back seat, Kyuhyun was the driver and we have all those under Hyukjae. They formed a circle where they throw the bastard in the middle—will you believe me hyung when I tell you that I’ve never been scared of Hyukjae—only that time—

 

No one helped Hyukjae—we all stand there not cheering or doing thing. We watched—as Hyukjae throws punches after punches to that bastard. We all watched as Hyukjae—screamed and kicked, and break Kibum’s bones and we thought he was done when Kibum was already lying there with unrecognizable face anymore—we all thought that we were scared of angry Hyukjae but we were all scared when Hyukjae started crying. He poured his heart out—hitting his chest again and again saying how much a failure he is for not saving Donghae. We stopped him before he can do anything bad to himself—actually—Kangin stopped him by saying that Donghae wouldn’t be happy by now seeing him that broken and we should bring Donghae to the hospital already…Hyung—Hyukjae isn’t okay—maybe more traumatized than Donghae.”

 

Donghwa can only stare at Hyukjae. He cannot imagine all those things that Sungmin told him.

 

The food came in so fast that Donghwa got startled at first, “Donghwa hyung, you don’t mind us eating Thai food right? Tomyang is really good in our cafeteria,” Hyukjae said fixing all the food in front of them and Donghwa smiles, “It’s okay Hyukjae—” then Donghwa looks fondly at his brother, “It looks like—you spoiled Donghae so much here—mother will not be happy when he comes back to Mokpo,” Donghwa teased Donghae and the younger boy pouts at his brother.

 

“Hyung! He is not! Hyukjae cannot cook well Hyung so I go to his dorm every morning to cook something for him and make coffee—” “How can you even go there? Hyukjae isn’t a morning person,” Donghwa cut his brother trying to catch the fish on his own mouth. Donghae grins before showing him his random keys, “I have his spare key hyung,” and giggles.

 

Donghwa felt like he misses something all these years. Hyukjae and Donghae’s relationship—isn’t friendship anymore, “I gave him my spare key first hyung because he keeps on knocking on my door—every single morning—then after that he gave me his spare key too to his room so that I can check on him if he’s home.” Donghwa bit his inner cheeks. This isn’t a simple token of friendship. He didn’t even give his spare key to their mother when he was in the university but Donghae gave his to Hyukjae that easily.

 

The subtle leaning on the chest, wiping the corner of the mouth, or even looking at each other’s eyes is killing Donghwa in the inside so in the end he can’t help but crack the question, “So—are you two in a relationship or something?” making not only the entire cafeteria quiet but also Hyukjae’s gang.

 

No one dares to ask actually aside from Heechul and Ryeowook which Hyukjae and Donghae shrug off—but we are talking about Donghwa now, Donghae’s older brother.

 

Sungmin readies his phone video to have proof and blackmail material for Hyukjae in the future.

 

Kyuhyun stops playing too and look at the three people sitting opposite to him.

 

Kangin is grinning from ear to ear waiting for Hyukjae or Donghae’s response.

 

And Shindong has teasing look in his eyes.

 

Hyukjae and Donghae look surprisingly calm with the sudden throw of question, “Do we even have to talk about it?” Donghae was the first one who talks. He throws back the question and Donghwa shrug his shoulder, “Tell me!” he said with demanding voice.

 

Hyukjae put down his spoon on the table, “I mean Hyung—do we even need to say it?” Hyukjae asked this time with Donghae nodding his head.

 

“Look—no pressure guys—if you aren’t then fine with me—but I think you two need draw the line,” Donghwa is cool with everything. He accepted long ago that Donghae is Hyukjae’s and vice versa.

 

The two guys look fine too. Donghae looks at Hyukjae and Hyukjae did the same, “I thought—we aren’t just talking about it Hyukkie—so we need to?” Donghae asked the engineering boy, “Yeah—I didn’t know that we need to put label or something to it. What do you say Hae—in my place later?” and Hyukjae gain a nod from Donghae and they both continue eating their meal.

 

“Tell me the status once you’re done talking,” Donghwa added.

 

The three of them are too chill talking about this matter while the entire engineering students that heard the conversation look like fishes that are out of the water—gasping for air.

 


 

uh oh—I didn’t promise anything right? This is almost done!

Remember—this is only a short story hahahahha.

comments?